RemedySpot.com

Healthy Oils - was - Looking for 2 recipes.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello ,I think that Dennis meant Health Food stores (as opposed to grocery stores). But I think the main point he was making is to look for cold pressed - the idea being that the oil wasn't heated while they were extracting it.I highly recommend the book that Dennis recommended, as well as the book "Know Your Fats" by G. Enig, Ph.DLook at the reviews for, "Know Your Fats" on Amazon.com:http://www.amazon.com/Know-Your-Fats-Understanding-Cholesterol/dp/0967812607I came to understand the importance of saturated fats in my diet when my naturopath would not "release me" to do sauna detoxification therapy (I am mercury poisoned and sauna therapy is good for this) because my blood cholesterol levels were too low. I find that understanding fats is much more complicated (for a layperson) than understanding the basics of proteins or carbohydrates.Here is an excellent PDF that is somewhat technical, but also written so that a layperson can understand:http://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs/BodyBioBulletin-Cholesterol.pdfOne more thing - the most important point Dennis was trying to make is issue of rancidity. Most oils found on grocery store shelves are not only rancid, but are VERY rancid.http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/539-why-rancid-healthy-oils-are-more-dangerous-than-the-bad-oils.htmlhttp://www.livestrong.com/article/445254-effects-of-eating-rancid-oil/http://consumers.californiaoliveranch.com/2012/04/06/rancid-olive-oil-may-be-hazardous-to-your-health-experts-suggest/

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On May 8, 2012, at 8:45 AM, England wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Where do you get the hempseed oil and coconut oil if not from the grocery store? I can understand butter as some are lucky enough to have their own cow, but where do you suggest we buy these things from?Sent from my iPadOn May 7, 2012, at 19:22, <dgulenchin@...> wrote:

Actually coconut oil is probably one of the safest oils to use for heating or frying along with butterand to some degree olive oil.Never use any oil sitting on grocery store shelves except the cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. Keep away from all margarine even if it says "non hydrogenated" including becel andshortenings.I would rather eat a pound of butter than a teaspoon of margarine.(butter is a natural fat )Coconut, butter,olive and hempseed oil are the only ones our family uses. Get yourself a copy ofFats that heal, Fats that kill by Udo Erasmus Essential Fatty Acids, > Articles by Udo Erasmus > Fats, Oils, EFA's, Nutrition, Health, Omega3...!!

This is an excellent book and probably the best book for health information - because with the wrong oils we would neverbe healthy.Dennis> > CC: solomon@...> From: areed77@...> Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 19:43:18 -0400> Subject: Re: Re: Looking for 2 recipes.> > You may want to look into using the coconut oil with caution. A > Homeopath friend told us that it is very dangerous after it has been > heated. (I LOVE the taste of coconut oil, but only use it raw now.) > I've not researched it further. TBH, I am struggling with knowing what > oils are safe to use anymore. I do add whole flax and chia seeds to > almost every shake/smoothie (the VM liquifies them completely) and I add > the milled seeds to almost every bread type item just to get omegas.> > > On 5/7/2012 7:36 PM, Velda wrote:> > , what goes in your baking powder recipe, the aluminum free is> > hard to find.> > Thanks> > Velda> >> > On 5/5/2012 1:59 PM, wrote:> >> I agree with Lea Ann-anyone wanting a "healthier" recipe will not want to use canola oil (it is genetically modified) Coconut oil actually works BETTER than canola oil anyway, since it is more like a shortening. You can pulse chunks of coconut oil into your flour blend by "pulsing" it in the Vitamix (flipping the switch on high, then quickly off again, using half of your flour mixture, which "cuts" in the shortening-then blend it in with the rest of your flour blend (you can put the "cut" flour in a baggie, then add the rest and give it all a good shake. You will also want to avoid commercial baking powder that contains aluminum (I make my own baking powder, but I think Rumford brand is aluminum free) I make my mixes gluten free, but you can use soft white winter wheat berries for the right consistency. If you want a more intense wheat flavor, add some hard red winter wheat (you can grind any type of wheat berry into flour in the Vitamix)> >>> >> > >>> >> > >>>> >>> I looking for some healthy substitutes ..> >>>> >>> One is a Healthy version of a Biquick like mix..> >>> I have several family favorite Impossible Pie recipes that I would like to make but in a more healthy way..> >>>> >>> 2nd Do you have a Mushroom soup recipe that doesn't use nuts ? again I want to begin to make my own vs using that canned stuff.in some recipes> >>> that suggest it.> >>>> >>> Any suggestions for either would be appreciated..> >>>> >>> >>> >> ------------------------------------> >>> >> Please bookmark these pages:> >>> >> /links/> >> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> >>> >> /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> >> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!