RemedySpot.com

PERFECT for those of us that are buzy and want a healthy breakfast

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Make ahead MUCH more healthy INSTANT oatmeal made in the Vitamix. I like oatmeal in the am but sometimes don't have time to make the good wholegrain stuff.. this works just FINE and has some nice flax seeds as well. Make these packs up ahead of time and you have a breakfast ready to go.. I took a few of these on a short road trip and made my own healthy breakfasts in the hotel room. I took along some dried cranberries to make it even better.This came from the MoneysavingMom.com websiteHomemade Instant Oatmeal Packets

Add to my favorites

Share67 by Crystal on August 9, 2010

Since we've been eating lots of oatmeal as part of the P90X diet,

my husband wisely suggested I make up some Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets to make our morning oatmeal prep quicker. I scoured the web for recipes and finally decided — you guessed it! — to create my own.

Here's what I ended up making:

Oatmeal Packets Recipe

1 large canister quick oats

1 large canister rolled oats

1/8 cup cinnamon

2 cups flax seed, ground (optional)

1 box of snack-sized zip-top baggies

Mix rolled oats, quick oats and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Take 2 cups of mixture and grind it in a blender or food processor until

it becomes powder-like.

Set up an assembly line with a small bowl of the ground flax seed, a small bowl of the ground oat mixture and the large bowl of oats. Take a baggie and put in 1/8 cup flax seed, 1/8 cup ground oats and ¾ cup oat mixture. Seal the baggie.

Repeat until you've successfully filled all your baggies.

To prepare, add ½ to ¾ cup boiling water and stir. Top with dried fruit, nuts or sweetener of your choice.

If you add in the ground flax seed, you'll want to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer and use within 1-2 months to prevent the flax seed from going rancid.

The result was definitely a success — every one of us liked it. And I

love that it's so simple to make and so good for you. Just dump in a bowl, add boiling water and you're good to go!

This would make for a great (and frugal!) gift. You could put the instant oatmeal in a jar or pretty gift bag and include a gift tag with directions and some dried fruit, nuts and raw sugar (or even chocolate chips for the chocolate-lover!).