RemedySpot.com

Lemon Cranberry Coconut Muffins - was - recipe request flax muffins

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

OK - I made these (see post below) this morning and they are AWESOME (to me at least :-) I am eating them right now!Here is the original recipe:Servings: 12Preparation Time: 20 minutes7 eggs1 cup fresh cranberries (I chopped them up in the food processor)1 lemon, zest and juice1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)1/2 cup melted coconut oil1/4 cup maple syrup3/4 cup coconut flour2 teaspoons vanilla1/2 teaspoon sea salt1 teaspoon baking powderPreheat oven to 350 degrees F.Mix all ingredients until well combined. Bake in greased muffin tins for about 20 minutes.As usual, I used the recipe as a "suggestion" and worked with what I have on hand.I only had 4 eggs left, and one was a banty egg, so I dumped all four into the Vitamix.The eggs came almost to the one cup line, so I poured coconut oil in until the mix rose up to the one cup line.I juiced a lemon (didn't mess with the zest) and added the juice of the lemon.I didn't have any cranberries.I didn't have any shredded coconut.I used about 20 drops of NuNaturals Vanilla Dog Alcohol Free Stevia ($5 off of a first order of NuNaturals at http://www.iHerb.com if you use code ZIC184 - Shipping is Free if your order is above $20!) instead of maple syrup.I ran all of this on variable speed 1 until mixed up then put it all in a mixing bowl and...I didn't measure the coconut flour, just put in what I thought was a little more than half of 3/4 of a cup.I shook my Sea Salt shaker a couple of times into the mixI added some baking powder :-)Stirred, then put the mix into a stoneware muffin pan coated with melted butter (made in the Vitamix ;-)Super crumbly, and IMO delicious! Imagine what they would taste like if someone followed the recipe!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 21, 2012, at 7:18 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:This is GREAT Wendie! (love the spelling of your name by the way :-)I've added a link to this message here:Links > 1 -RECIPES > Batters - Muffins/Pancakes/Breads/etc./links/Recipe_Links_001298558025/Batters___Muffins_Pancakes_Breads_etc__001327151767/

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:18 PM, p15u7 wrote:

I know I never post here, but coconut flour is pricey, so I thought I'd chime in.

Coconut flour needs a *lot* of binding agent (egg or chia gel) in order to not end up with a crumbly, dry finished product. You also use a lot less, as it absorbs a lot of moisture.

Here's a recipe that's a great example: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2012/1/13/lemon-cranberry-coconut-muffins

They're super tasty, too; I've made them multiple times with various fruits. I love that their both dairy and gluten free. :-)

But it takes 7 eggs for only 3/4 cup coconut flour, and you still end up with a dozen muffins. The coconut flour is like a sponge to the wet ingredients. If you sub two or three cups of coconut flour into a "normal" muffin recipe, it won't be edible.

HTH!

Wendie