RemedySpot.com

Re: Fermented Veggies discussion - was - sea veggies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

We love beet kvass! My son feels very grown up when he drinks it as he says it looks like he is drinking wine and he knows kvass is a serious, mature thing to drink too! have thought about cultures but have only used salt to this point. will look into it.We put a little of the water over the veggies when eating but I am timid about all of the floating stuff that wasn't there when it started! Will have to be brave and go for it! Make sure we get all of the benefits! Very focused on gut health right now so better to eat this than that many more supplements I guess. Other veggies you use in previous posts? Hate to ask again what has already been discussed!

Thanks,My Favorite Video for My Little One!

On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:I always drink the water. Both when I am eating the veggies (I pour the juice over the veggies in a bowl like a soup) and I drink down the last drop out of the jar (which, by the way is where most of the powder ends up if I don't remember to shake it up before pouring out my daily serving).The water is full of probiotics - some people make "cultured cabbage juice" just for the probiotics (and there isn't any mention of eating the cabbage)!http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=cultured+cabbage+juice & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8My last batch of ginger carrots was rather dry (there wasn't much in the way of carrot juice) and I was just thinking about adding fresh squeezed carrot juice to my next batch of ginger carrots - I bet it will be divine! I'll enjoy EVERY last drop of that juice!My current veggie mix contains cabbage, red peppers, kale, ginger slices, some kelp (whole, cut up into strips). some kelp powder, and some carrots. I meant to include celery, but forgot :-) I have some beets in the fridge that will soon become Beet Kvass:http://www.google.com/search?client=safari & rls=en & q=beet+kvass & ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8With Beet Kvass, you only drink the juice, and you don't eat the beets. I have used finely chopped beets in one of my fermented veggie mixes (like the one described above) and they didn't taste so bad as a part of the mix, but they turned everything so red, that I have since left them out, and save beets to be a ferment unto themselves :-)I used to use just salt for my veggie ferments, but recently have tried a box of each of these two veggie culture starters:Vegetable Starter Culture by Caldwell'sCulture Starter by Body Ecology(shameless plug warning) I found that the best prices for these was on Amazon.com and if you go here: http://vitamixlady.com/green-smoothies/ and click on the Green For Life book, then search for Vegetable Starter Culture by Caldwell's or Culture Starter by Body Ecology, I get a SMALL referral award :-)I did not find a significant difference between the two different culture starters, and although it did seem like the veggies cultured quickly, it doesn't seem significantly better than just using plain salt. When I run out of these two boxes of cultured veggie starters, I might just go back to salt.Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Mar 20, 2012, at 12:09 PM, hai quan wrote:We ferment celery, ginger and carrots. Separately although have sometimes mixed and sometimes added onions & /or garlic. If you add the powder to your water how do you know you are getting it when you eat the veggies? minerals from kelp soak into the veggies? We don't drink the water and all of the "floaties" in it, just scoop out the veggies. Thanks,My Favorite Video for My Little One!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1faCCXbeMOn Mar 20, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:I put Kelp (and sometimes Kelp powder if I don't have any kelp on hand) in my fermented veggie mix.Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:Thanks for this information/tip. I added a link to this post here:/links/Food_Preparation_and_Storage_Tips_001328221951/I take Kelp capsules daily for the iodine and mineral content. I try to use Sea Veggies in recipes, but have never pre-soaked and I bet that I should have been doing this all along. I just put some dried Kelp in some water to soak and will see what it is like in the morning - THANKS again!Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><On'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:39 AM, hai quan wrote:Following last weeks unsuccessful addition of dried kelp and dulse to my morning smoothing I followed my husband's advice this time. I soaked some kelp overnight in filtered water. This morning I tore off several large pieces (they had really thickened and now felt a bit slimmy). The vitamix could now blended if into little specks that now of us could feel as "texture". Just tiny flecks hardly noticeable and my son and I drank it fine. Without the soaking the leather pieces just stayed rather large and tough. So I will soak first!Thanks,My Favorite Video for My Little One!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1faCCXbeMOn Mar 16, 2012, at 1:22 PM, hai quan wrote:Add sea veggies to my morning smoothie for the first time. Dried kelp and dulse (stronger flavor!). both made some wild noises in the vitamix and were still in good size pieces. Everything else in the mornings smoothie disappeared into a creamy blend including the frozen, raw liver, blueberries, half a zucchini (not even chopped) and egg yolks all disappeared into a creamy, sweet mix with the milk and sweetener but the sea veggies were still in pieces and not good. My husband suggested that we soak them in water overnight before adding them to a smoothie and that in the soften v. leathery state they would blend easier. We have used these in stew, soups & broth. Any suggestions for including in smoothies with the vitamix? Thanks,My Favorite Video for My Little One!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1faCCXbeM------------------------------------Please bookmark these pages:/links/ (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)/links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!