Butter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I would be checking the date on the package of butter. Butter will

turn rancid if not used reasonably soon after you get it and it does

not matter if you freeze it. It will take a little longer in the

freezer but it does go rancid there too. Other than that I am not

sure what you might be tasting. I like butter. Maybe switch brands?

Sandy

>

>

> Why does raw butter taste so funny? I dont get it. Raw milk is

sooooo much better tasting, I assumed raw butter would be delicious,

but there is a bad taste to it, almost like it is rancid. Any

enlightenment?

>

> Carol F

>

>

Guest guest

Carol,

Are you talking about just plain old raw butter, or CULTURED raw butter? Or even

raw butter that's been around a while? The last 2 (cultured or " aged " raw

butter)

are pretty much soured (cultured) cream made into butter. Or sweet cream made

into butter, then souring with time and both therefore have a sour cream like

taste.

If that's not what you mean, then..... nevermind.....

Therese

Guest guest

I do not like 'cultured' butter either...in fact, in several instances

I have returned it because I thought it had gone rancid. Then I

learned that that is the flavor of cultured butter. I don't have a

close source for raw butter and don't want to take the cream off my

good milk to make it, so we just eat Organic Valley uncultured butter.

I've also found that I don't really care for the taste of grass-fed

butter. Organic Valley's butter is a deep yellow color and I'm not

aware that it is dyed...so it must be mostly grassfed, but the taste

isn't as strong as, say, Pastureland. I know I'm missing out on

nutrients by choosing a 'lesser' butter, but I can't stand to eat the

other. Happy medium for me.

>

>

> Why does raw butter taste so funny? I dont get it. Raw milk is

sooooo much better tasting, I assumed raw butter would be delicious,

but there is a bad taste to it, almost like it is rancid. Any

enlightenment?

>

> Carol F

>

Guest guest

I also don't care for cultured butter. I LOVE fresh, raw milk butter though.

When

I'm out, I just buy whatever is available at the co-op, Hope butter I think. I

used

to buy and enjoy European butters such as Plugra, but now can't stand the

thought of it being shipped all over the place.

Kathy

Guest guest

I know that unsalted fresh butter is better--but it often tastes rancid (or at

least ICKY) to me,

especially after a day or two. Keeping it in a butter bell might help it taste

fresh longer--not

sure--mine broke. I've grown to love Hope Creamery's salted butter. The salt

keeps it from

going bad in my room temp butter dish.

(Now we know where the tongue twister comes from: " Betty Botta bought a bit of

bitter

butter. " )

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

Does the image of God saying to Adam " behold I give you all these wonderful

things to sustain yout, but wait, the only fats you may eat are those that

come out of a factory? " have relevance? (That's a very loose translation

BTW) back to my own stick of butter. L

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Deanna <deanna.miller99@...>wrote:

> Does anyone want to take on the YMCA and set them straight about butter?

> This article has left me almost speechless!

>

> http://www.startribune.com/business/124521023.html

>

> Deanna

>

>

>

Guest guest

I think the worst part is how they were horrified that she wound up eating two

sticks of butter during all the takes --- yet mentioned that she was fed bottles

of Coke in between takes. And no one batted an eye at the healthlessness of

that. We are living in Idiocracy.

>

> Does anyone want to take on the YMCA and set them straight about butter?

> This article has left me almost speechless!

>

> http://www.startribune.com/business/124521023.html

>

> Deanna

>

>

>

• 10 months later...
Guest guest

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless .......If you wash it alot under & with pure running water over & over that will help keep it longer from going sour Good Luck Re: Butter Hello Jan,I get raw cow's milk cream from a local source and have made butter several times. There was a bit of a learning curve for me - the first batch didn't turn out well because I used cream that wasn't fully separated.I did a better job of separating the milk fat from the milk the second time I attempted butter (I also put my Vitamix container in the freezer for a few minutes to really cool it down before I started).Like , I LOVE home made butter - especially from raw cow's milk cream (I've never made it from pasteurized cream).A hint - if you make butter from raw cream, freeze some and only keep in the fridge what you are going to use quickly - raw butter has living cultures and sours in a few days. Now that I understand how LIVING foods are supposed to behave (food SHOULD rot) it really makes me wonder about cream and butter from the store that can sit in the fridge or on my counter (in the case of butter) for days or weeks without any real difference. Things that make you go hmmm…..There are a lot of resources/tutorials on the Internet. Google and YouTube were helpful to me as I made my first few batches. When I make fresh butter I freeze a lot (in jelly jars) - I recently used up my last batch of butter and it's time to get more raw cow's milk cream and make some more! (I also freeze the cream in jelly jars because I don't use it fast enough to prevent it from turning sour - I just use it in my coffee in the AM).Raw butter on steamed veggies - YUM!Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><On May 25, 2012, at 12:48 AM, Jan Connell wrote: Hi -Has anyone tried making butter with their Vitamix? If so, how did you make it and what were the results.Jan

Guest guest

Me too. So I just googled Making butter in a VitaMix.....and poof,More info than anyone needs,lol! G From: crysmys99 <crysmys@...> Sent:

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:28 AM Subject: Re: Butter

I looked through the files section but didn't find anything on butter.. I checked recipes also, but still didn't find anything. I'm a newbie.. only been here a few days.. could you give me some pointers on where to find the info you mentioned on making butter from cream?

> >

> > Hi -

> > Has anyone tried making butter with their Vitamix? If so, how did you make it and what were the results.

> > Jan

> >

>

Guest guest

I understand if you don't get ALL of the whey out (and that's hard to do) the butter will spoil quickly. The commercial companies have the equipment that can do that very well. I'm not an expert, but that's what I've been told. I still would love to make butter like we did when I lived on the farm umpteen years ago in MI.Ginny (in CA) From: Jan Connell <naj4650@...> To:

" " < > Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 6:16 AM Subject: Re: Butter

Thank you - I'm going to give it a try. We have lots of farms in this area so I should not have a problem finding raw milk.Love my Vitamix!Jan From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> To:

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 5:16 AM Subject: Re: Butter

Hello Jan,I get raw cow's milk cream from a local source and have made butter several times. There was a bit of a learning curve for me - the first batch didn't turn out well because I used cream that wasn't fully separated.I did a better job of separating the milk fat from the milk the second time I attempted butter (I also put my Vitamix container in the

freezer for a few minutes to really cool it down before I started).Like , I LOVE home made butter - especially from raw cow's milk cream (I've never made it from pasteurized cream).A hint - if you make butter from raw cream, freeze some and only keep in the fridge what you are going to use quickly - raw butter has living cultures and sours in a few days. Now that I understand how LIVING foods are supposed to behave (food SHOULD rot) it really makes me wonder about cream and butter from the store that can sit in the fridge or on my counter (in the case of butter) for days or weeks without any real difference. Things that make you go hmmm…..There are a lot of resources/tutorials on the Internet. Google and YouTube were helpful to me as I made my first few batches. When I make fresh butter I freeze a lot (in jelly jars) - I recently used up

my last batch of butter and it's time to get more raw cow's milk cream and make some more! (I also freeze the cream in jelly jars because I don't use it fast enough to prevent it from turning sour - I just use it in my coffee in the AM).Raw butter on steamed veggies - YUM!Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On May 25, 2012, at 12:48 AM, Jan Connell wrote:

Hi -Has anyone tried making butter with their Vitamix? If so, how did you make it and what were the results.Jan