RemedySpot.com

Re: Fresh Fruit & Veggie Storage

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have a very small fridge too, and do keep some fruit on the counter for a few days but my biggest challenge is not to get carried away shopping and buy too much at a time, especially at the farmers market.Ginny From: yourfavoritething2002 <yourfavoritething2002@...> Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 6:37 PM

Subject: Fresh Fruit & Veggie Storage

Hi all,

I own a refrigerator that is very unfriendly to the storage of fresh fruits and veggies because of its size. It's so frustrating, if I could I'd buy a bigger one and retire this one to the garage. But I digress, back to my reason for posting. Do any of you have a practice of keeping some fruits and veggies on your counter? I assume having them at room temperature for short periods won't hurt them, and if you have a smoothie, or other mixture, on a daily basis, the food items will be used rather quickly. Any tips and tricks for fruit & veggie storage, either at room temperature or refrigerated. I'm hoping to use a whole lot more fresh ingredients since I now have a new Vitamix. Thanks for you comments in advance.

Have a great weekend!

Pam T

Guest guest

Ya, I take advantage of produce sales here in NW Wisconsin and over buy as well. Our farmer's markets won't be here for a few months yet. :o( Pam T From: Ginny Welton

<ginbit@...> " " < > Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 10:16 PM Subject: Re: Fresh Fruit & Veggie Storage

I have a very small fridge too, and do keep some fruit on the counter for a few days but my biggest challenge is not to get carried away shopping and buy too much at a time, especially at the farmers market.Ginny From: yourfavoritething2002 <yourfavoritething2002@...> Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 6:37 PM

Subject: Fresh Fruit & Veggie Storage

Hi all,

I own a refrigerator that is very unfriendly to the storage of fresh fruits and veggies because of its size. It's so frustrating, if I could I'd buy a bigger one and retire this one to the garage. But I digress, back to my reason for posting. Do any of you have a practice of keeping some fruits and veggies on your counter? I assume having them at room temperature for short periods won't hurt them, and if you have a smoothie, or other mixture, on a daily basis, the food items will be used rather quickly. Any tips and tricks for fruit & veggie storage, either at room temperature or refrigerated. I'm hoping to use a whole lot more fresh ingredients since I now have a new Vitamix. Thanks for you comments in advance.

Have a great weekend!

Pam T

Guest guest

I always leave onions, bananas, oranges, and apples out.  Probably any citrus is okay to leave out.  I have accidentally left spinach out for a day and it was okay.  I don't think mushrooms would do as well.  Tomatoes can be left out for a few days.  The farmer's market where I shop leaves most things out, actually.  When things start to go bad, they reduce the price, but it's a small amount.  Personally, I'd probably always keep lettuce and mushrooms in the fridge but anything else might be okay for a couple days.  (I have left fresh-picked asparagus out for a day, too.  It wilts, but still tastes fine.)

--