RemedySpot.com

Re: Bone Broth Soups

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello Tina,Did you try the Tortilla Soup recipe on my website? It is an all time favorite!http://blenderlady.com/recipes/#Tortilla%20SoupI do find that soups taste better if the veggies are steamed, sautéed or roasted - ESPECIALLY onions and garlic. I only use one clove of garlic in my tortilla soup, and only a very thin sliver of raw onion. At home I would leave them out or sauté them.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jun 11, 2012, at 8:01 PM, Tina wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would like some recipes for vegetable soups made with broth.

At my house, I'm always making broth from scratch (chicken broth and turkey broth mainly - made in slow cooker, then stored in freezer).

We are dairy free, but I suppose for creamed soups I can use coconut milk.

I also would like it to be toddler friendly.

My son can be picky. He'll drink some broth, but it can be a struggle to get him to eat a variety of veggies.

Any & All ideas are welcome!

p.s. I've made a couple of soups from the vitamix cookbook and I was extremely displeased with the results. I have found that I was not able to put a raw onion in the blender with the rest of the ingredients and have the soup taste like anything but a raw onion (I did follow the directions and I did not use too much onion). I used the butternut squash recipe from the vitamix cookbook.

I just think that onions have to be sauteed in butter or ghee first then added to the soup.

Has anyone been able to get a homemade soup flavor out of ingredients that are just simply blended in the vitamix and not simmered over the stove for a long time? Maybe I'm missing something.

Guest guest

Thanks Lea Ann.

Will try the tortilla soup.

We are dairy free, so will omit the cheese, although you seem to say that it

makes all the difference.

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> I would like some recipes for vegetable soups made with broth.

>

> At my house, I'm always making broth from scratch (chicken broth and turkey

broth mainly - made in slow cooker, then stored in freezer).

> We are dairy free, but I suppose for creamed soups I can use coconut milk.

> I also would like it to be toddler friendly.

> My son can be picky. He'll drink some broth, but it can be a struggle to get

him to eat a variety of veggies.

>

> Any & All ideas are welcome!

>

> p.s. I've made a couple of soups from the vitamix cookbook and I was extremely

displeased with the results. I have found that I was not able to put a raw onion

in the blender with the rest of the ingredients and have the soup taste like

anything but a raw onion (I did follow the directions and I did not use too much

onion). I used the butternut squash recipe from the vitamix cookbook.

> I just think that onions have to be sauteed in butter or ghee first then added

to the soup.

>

> Has anyone been able to get a homemade soup flavor out of ingredients that are

just simply blended in the vitamix and not simmered over the stove for a long

time? Maybe I'm missing something.

>

Guest guest

My dad taught me you can " Sautee " onions in the microwave to get that sauted

taste and not the raw onion affect. Saves some calories, just chop and put in

micro for about 3-45 sec. I did a vegan southwestern and it turned out yummy

and creamy. I tastes it from.a demo but git there when it.was done and must

Googled it.later when i bought the vm.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

Tina <thefrancisthree@...> wrote:

>Thanks Lea Ann.

>Will try the tortilla soup.

>We are dairy free, so will omit the cheese, although you seem to say that it

makes all the difference.

>

>

>>

>> Hi everyone,

>>

>> I would like some recipes for vegetable soups made with broth.

>>

>> At my house, I'm always making broth from scratch (chicken broth and turkey

broth mainly - made in slow cooker, then stored in freezer).

>> We are dairy free, but I suppose for creamed soups I can use coconut milk.

>> I also would like it to be toddler friendly.

>> My son can be picky. He'll drink some broth, but it can be a struggle to get

him to eat a variety of veggies.

>>

>> Any & All ideas are welcome!

>>

>> p.s. I've made a couple of soups from the vitamix cookbook and I was

extremely displeased with the results. I have found that I was not able to put a

raw onion in the blender with the rest of the ingredients and have the soup

taste like anything but a raw onion (I did follow the directions and I did not

use too much onion). I used the butternut squash recipe from the vitamix

cookbook.

>> I just think that onions have to be sauteed in butter or ghee first then

added to the soup.

>>

>> Has anyone been able to get a homemade soup flavor out of ingredients that

are just simply blended in the vitamix and not simmered over the stove for a

long time? Maybe I'm missing something.

>>

>

>

Guest guest

A hand full of cashews will substitute nicely for the small chunk of cheese. Dairy cuts the sharp taste of the spicy in the Blend It Up, but the recipe still tastes good without it.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jun 11, 2012, at 10:46 PM, Tina wrote:

Thanks Lea Ann.

Will try the tortilla soup.

We are dairy free, so will omit the cheese, although you seem to say that it makes all the difference.

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> I would like some recipes for vegetable soups made with broth.

>

> At my house, I'm always making broth from scratch (chicken broth and turkey broth mainly - made in slow cooker, then stored in freezer).

> We are dairy free, but I suppose for creamed soups I can use coconut milk.

> I also would like it to be toddler friendly.

> My son can be picky. He'll drink some broth, but it can be a struggle to get him to eat a variety of veggies.

>

> Any & All ideas are welcome!

>

> p.s. I've made a couple of soups from the vitamix cookbook and I was extremely displeased with the results. I have found that I was not able to put a raw onion in the blender with the rest of the ingredients and have the soup taste like anything but a raw onion (I did follow the directions and I did not use too much onion). I used the butternut squash recipe from the vitamix cookbook.

> I just think that onions have to be sauteed in butter or ghee first then added to the soup.

>

> Has anyone been able to get a homemade soup flavor out of ingredients that are just simply blended in the vitamix and not simmered over the stove for a long time? Maybe I'm missing something.

>

Guest guest

There is lots of information (and videos) on making healthy bone broths that gel nicely at http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/video-traditional-stocks-and-soups/. If you peruse the site further you will find helpful information on how to get the most nutrition out of your stocks and broths, how long they should cook, what they look like when done, and how to maximize the chance that it will gel (indicating a higher nutritional value). I wish I had known about this site years ago, but I guess better late than never.

Kathy Mellinkathymellin@...

Guest guest

Thanks for this link - I'm going to buy the book! I have a batch of bone broth on the stove right now, and a previous batch cooling so I can remove the fat… Just got started with this healthy habit and can use all of the advice I can find!

On Jun 14, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Gail wrote:

There is a book called "The whole Food Guide to Strong Bones" by Annemarie Colbin, Phd that I absolutely swear by. It has wonderful recipes for chicken, beef, vegetable, and fish broths... but also other recipes for building stronger bones. It is a WEALTH of information; if you're trying to strengthen your bones, I highly recommend it. I have been referring to it more recently since I started the 30 Day Green Smoothie challenge.

Guest guest

Has anyone heard of processing the bones/broth in the VM to include all of it in

the broth? I just read this suggestion and wondered if it is effective? -Amber

Guest guest

I worry about the delicate gelatin losing it's beneficial properties. I had this same thought, but have been doing it the traditional way lately. The goal is to get the thickest, most gelatinous broth (when cold in the fridge). It is an art I have not yet perfected… Some batches are great - some are quite loose.

On Jun 14, 2012, at 12:42 PM, berlinsmith wrote:

Has anyone heard of processing the bones/broth in the VM to include all of it in the broth? I just read this suggestion and wondered if it is effective? -Amber