RemedySpot.com

Rind getting caught in the blades… was - Watermelon and rind

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sometimes a chunk of something firm and hard (apple, carrot, pineapple core, watermelon rind, etc.) gets physically trapped (stuck) on or under the blades. At that point it will go spinning round and round with the blade it is stuck on (or under). It must be "unstuck" for the mix to properly blend. This happens from time to time in my shows and I can tell when it happens by the lopsided shape of the vortex, and I can often see the piece swirling around at the bottom…Hate it when that happens, because the Vitamix doesn't look "easy to use" when I have to stop it, fish out the offending food particle, and start again…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jun 7, 2012, at 7:24 AM, patti wrote:

i have made this & it OK. my VM did not have trouble. Maybe because I cut it up in smaller pieces? Patti From: Ginny Welton <ginbit@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:34 PM Subject: Re: Watermelon and rind

Well, I was fascinated with the idea, but in my opinion, I ruined a very red, sweet and juicy watermelon half. It came out like a diluted taste of watermelon, which was a disappointment. I hope I got a lot of extra nutrients, for the effort. BTW, the VM had a hard time with the pieces, and I had to stop it and lift some of the pieces away from the blades and start it again, and then it went smoothly. I was worried about overheating the machine, but know that it would have stopped before that happened. Anyway, thanks for posting...this person seems to have quite a following, and for good reason.Ginny From: flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...> Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 6:48 AM Subject: Watermelon and rind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJvV_gnYck & feature=share

This guy says to use the rind.....of an organic watermelon.

Guest guest

That is the beauty of the long Vitamix spatulas. The Vitamix is wonderful, but

it is still a tool that is only as good as the person loading the machine. I

prefer to load less at a time than fight the machine with it packed to the

gills. The other day I made peanut butter and only put in one can, used the

tamper until it was all smooth and then addeded the second can and I had no

issues of the motor cutting off which usually happens when I put in two packages

or containers. It is a live and learn experience. I don't think any smoothie

or ice cream or soup or whatever you demonstrate or make will taste any worse

for making it a two step process. Personal opinion of course.

>

>

> i have made this & it OK. my VM did not have trouble. Maybe because I cut

it up in smaller pieces?

>

> Patti

>

>

>

> From: Ginny Welton <ginbit@...>

> " " < >

> Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:34 PM

> Subject: Re: Watermelon and rind

>

>

> Well, I was fascinated with the idea, but in my opinion, I ruined a very red,

sweet and juicy watermelon half. It came out like a diluted taste of

watermelon, which was a disappointment. I hope I got a lot of extra nutrients,

for the effort. BTW, the VM had a hard time with the pieces, and I had to stop

it and lift some of the pieces away from the blades and start it again, and then

it went smoothly. I was worried about overheating the machine, but know that it

would have stopped before that happened.

>

> Anyway, thanks for posting...this person seems to have quite a following, and

for good reason.

>

> Ginny

>

> From: flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...>

>

> Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 6:48 AM

> Subject: Watermelon and rind

>

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJvV_gnYck & feature=share

>

> This guy says to use the rind.....of an organic watermelon.

>

Guest guest

It's been happening with me with pineapple lately too and I think the pieces are too big....I like to just toss things in randomly and for it to all get worked out in there... HA!...JaneOn Jun 7, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Ruhnke wrote:

This has happened to me as well and it is a pain in the..... Anyway, I always felt this happens because my pieces are too big and/or i haven't layered my ingredients correctly. Its those big apple pieces that are usually they culprit. I make sure my ingredients are layered correctly which is really important. i feel embarrassed for you when this should happen during a demo!Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Sometimes a chunk of something firm and hard (apple, carrot, pineapple core, watermelon rind, etc.) gets physically trapped (stuck) on or under the blades. At that point it will go spinning round and round with the blade it is stuck on (or under). It must be "unstuck" for the mix to properly blend. This happens from time to time in my shows and I can tell when it happens by the lopsided shape of the vortex, and I can often see the piece swirling around at the bottom…Hate it when that happens, because the Vitamix doesn't look "easy to use" when I have to stop it, fish out the offending food particle, and start again…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

i have made this & it OK. my VM did not have trouble. Maybe because I cut it up in smaller pieces? Patti From: Ginny Welton <ginbit@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:34 PM Subject: Re: Watermelon and rind

Well, I was fascinated with the idea, but in my opinion, I ruined a very red, sweet and juicy watermelon half. It came out like a diluted taste of watermelon, which was a disappointment. I hope I got a lot of extra nutrients, for the effort. BTW, the VM had a hard time with the pieces, and I had to stop it and lift some of the pieces away from the blades and start it again, and then it went smoothly. I was worried about overheating the machine, but know that it would have stopped before that happened. Anyway, thanks for posting...this person seems to have quite a following, and for good reason.Ginny From: flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...> Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 6:48 AM Subject: Watermelon and rind

Guest guest

LOL - I REALLY feel embarrassed for myself as well ;-) I went from 1/2 of an apple to 1/4 in my recipes because 1/2 (due to its shape) had an uncanny ability to get hung up in the blades. I also check to slice through the core of the pineapple if it is towards the end of the pineapple (really hard and firm) because that will also catch.

On Jun 7, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Ruhnke wrote:

This has happened to me as well and it is a pain in the..... Anyway, I always felt this happens because my pieces are too big and/or i haven't layered my ingredients correctly. Its those big apple pieces that are usually they culprit. I make sure my ingredients are layered correctly which is really important. i feel embarrassed for you when this should happen during a demo!Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote: