RemedySpot.com

Re: Cashew Butter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello Sherry,I always use roasted. They blend easier (I don't know why), and IMO taste better. I don't think it is possible to make "raw" almond butter in a Vitamix, (to the standards of raw foodists) because their cut off temperature is 118 degrees, and the almond butter exceeds this temperature due to the friction created by the dense ingredient and the spinning of the blades…I love to roast my own almonds and pecans and make an almond/pecan butter (and snack on the left overs :-). I like to roast my own because I can use coconut oil instead of whatever commercial oil store bought roasted nuts are made of. Coconut oil tastes great in roasted nuts too! AND when you roast your own, you can make custom blends or add things like powdered stevia and cinnamon, powdered cocoa and stevia, sea salt, or sea salt/mustard powder/stevia - yum!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jun 16, 2012, at 8:25 AM, Sherry wrote:

When making cashew or other nut butters do you use raw or roasted nuts? Or does it make a difference?

Sherry

Guest guest

Thanks Lea Ann. Some sort of flavored butters sound awesome. Can't wait to try

it.

Sherry

>

> When making cashew or other nut butters do you use raw or roasted nuts? Or

does it make a difference?

>

> Sherry

>

Guest guest

Lea Ann,

How much coconut oil do you use? How long do you roast them in the oven?

Have you ever made sunflower seed butter?

Thanks,

Patti

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Sat, June 16, 2012 7:55:54 AMSubject: Re: Cashew Butter

Hello Sherry,

I always use roasted. They blend easier (I don't know why), and IMO taste better. I don't think it is possible to make "raw" almond butter in a Vitamix, (to the standards of raw foodists) because their cut off temperature is 118 degrees, and the almond butter exceeds this temperature due to the friction created by the dense ingredient and the spinning of the blades…

I love to roast my own almonds and pecans and make an almond/pecan butter (and snack on the left overs :-). I like to roast my own because I can use coconut oil instead of whatever commercial oil store bought roasted nuts are made of. Coconut oil tastes great in roasted nuts too! AND when you roast your own, you can make custom blends or add things like powdered stevia and cinnamon, powdered cocoa and stevia, sea salt, or sea salt/mustard powder/stevia - yum!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

When making cashew or other nut butters do you use raw or roasted nuts? Or does it make a difference?Sherry

Guest guest

Hello Patti,I Googled "Roasting Nuts" to come up with the time and temp and it seems like everyone uses this basic formula:How to Roast Almonds1 pound whole raw almonds1 teaspoon celtic sea saltSpread the almonds out in two 9x13 inch Pyrex baking dishesBake at 350° for 10-12 minutes, until a nutty aroma wafts out of the ovenRemove almond from oven and sprinkle with saltCool for 1 hourServe(ripped from this page: http://www.elanaspantry.com/how-to-roast-almonds/ )IMPORTANT NOTE - I've discovered that the timing is VERY important. ONE MINUTE can be the difference between "done" and "burnt" (for some of the nuts). I tend to like my nuts WELL roasted, so do a 350° oven for 15 minutes - but NO MORE than that!As far as how much oil? I put the nuts in a gallon zip lock bag and just glug some in there, and squish the nuts around until they are coated - you don't want a lot of excess oil, just enough to get them coated. If you are going to add seasoning - do it at this point.Haven't made sunflower seed butter, but I bet it would be easy to do. If I tried roasting my own, I would also be sure to check them at 12 minutes, because I bet they roast faster than bigger nuts...

On Jun 16, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Patti McCall wrote:

Lea Ann,

How much coconut oil do you use? How long do you roast them in the oven?

Have you ever made sunflower seed butter?

Thanks,

Patti

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Sat, June 16, 2012 7:55:54 AMSubject: Re: Cashew Butter

Hello Sherry,

I always use roasted. They blend easier (I don't know why), and IMO taste better. I don't think it is possible to make "raw" almond butter in a Vitamix, (to the standards of raw foodists) because their cut off temperature is 118 degrees, and the almond butter exceeds this temperature due to the friction created by the dense ingredient and the spinning of the blades…

I love to roast my own almonds and pecans and make an almond/pecan butter (and snack on the left overs :-). I like to roast my own because I can use coconut oil instead of whatever commercial oil store bought roasted nuts are made of. Coconut oil tastes great in roasted nuts too! AND when you roast your own, you can make custom blends or add things like powdered stevia and cinnamon, powdered cocoa and stevia, sea salt, or sea salt/mustard powder/stevia - yum!

When making cashew or other nut butters do you use raw or roasted nuts? Or does it make a difference?Sherry

Guest guest

I bought the roasted no salt type. I wasn't sure about the salt part after I

got to checking out the almonds. I figured at least I could add salt to my

butter if I wanted. I'm thinking of adding some sweetner and cocoa.

Sherry

>

>

> When making cashew or other nut butters do you use raw or roasted nuts? Or

does it make a difference?

>

> Sherry

>

Guest guest

You don't need oil at all to roast nuts.  You can also roast them in a pan on the stove.  Just put the heat on fairly high and stir or toss the nuts around until that are roasted.  You can also roast them in the oven without oil.  Whatever works for you--oil, no oil, pan, stove--it's not too hard.  :-)

--

Guest guest

You are right ,I like coconut oil and use it in almost all of my cooking (for its health benefits). I also love the taste and making nut butter is easier when they are roasted with some oil. Also, when you flavor your nuts, oil helps the powders stick to the nuts. Dry roasting is most certainly an option though!

On Jun 17, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Bikfalvy wrote:

You don't need oil at all to roast nuts. You can also roast them in a pan on the stove. Just put the heat on fairly high and stir or toss the nuts around until that are roasted. You can also roast them in the oven without oil. Whatever works for you--oil, no oil, pan, stove--it's not too hard. :-)

--

Guest guest

I just made the cashew butter. I used 3 cups of roasted cashews, 1/3 cup of

cocoa, and 1/4 of erythritol.

I started processing but it seemed pretty dry to me. Not letting the oils

release. I think it was dry because of the added cocoa. So I stopped the

machine and added in some coconut oil. Perfect.

At the point that I could tell it was not working well, I was thinking I better

turn it off before it explodes. lol. I know, I am new to this. With it at

high if nothing else, it would just turn off if it was too hot, right? Or not?

I'm still a little intimated by this machine.

Sherry

>

> You don't need oil at all to roast nuts. You can also roast them in a pan on

the stove. Just put the heat on fairly high and stir or toss the nuts around

until that are roasted. You can also roast them in the oven without oil.

Whatever works for you--oil, no oil, pan, stove--it's not too hard. :-)

>

> --

>

Guest guest

In that case, it might be better to first blend the nuts alone, and once they're creamy or almost creamy, then add the other ingredients.And no 'exploding' machine :-) MarNothing right in my left brain, nothing left in my right brain.Life at 55 MPH http://lifeat55mph.blogspot.com From: Sherry <slloyd1@...> Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:36 PM Subject: Re: Cashew Butter

I just made the cashew butter. I used 3 cups of roasted cashews, 1/3 cup of cocoa, and 1/4 of erythritol.

I started processing but it seemed pretty dry to me. Not letting the oils release. I think it was dry because of the added cocoa. So I stopped the machine and added in some coconut oil. Perfect.

Guest guest

That is a great idea. I probably would not have needed the extra oil in that

case.

Sherry

>

> In that case, it might be better to first blend the nuts alone, and once

they're creamy or almost creamy, then add the other ingredients.

>

> And no 'exploding' machine :-)

>

>

>  

> Mar

>

> Nothing right in my left brain, nothing left in my right brain.

>

> Life at 55 MPH http://lifeat55mph.blogspot.com

>

>

>

> >________________________________

> > From: Sherry <slloyd1@...>

> >

> >Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:36 PM

> >Subject: Re: Cashew Butter

> >

> >

> > 

> >I just made the cashew butter. I used 3 cups of roasted cashews, 1/3 cup of

cocoa, and 1/4 of erythritol.

> >

> >I started processing but it seemed pretty dry to me. Not letting the oils

release. I think it was dry because of the added cocoa. So I stopped the

machine and added in some coconut oil. Perfect.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

You are right Sherry - IF the motor over heats it does shut off. And no matter how well you know it - your first thought will still be, "oh no - it broke!"

On Jun 17, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Sherry wrote:

I just made the cashew butter. I used 3 cups of roasted cashews, 1/3 cup of cocoa, and 1/4 of erythritol.

I started processing but it seemed pretty dry to me. Not letting the oils release. I think it was dry because of the added cocoa. So I stopped the machine and added in some coconut oil. Perfect.

At the point that I could tell it was not working well, I was thinking I better turn it off before it explodes. lol. I know, I am new to this. With it at high if nothing else, it would just turn off if it was too hot, right? Or not? I'm still a little intimated by this machine.

Sherry

>

> You don't need oil at all to roast nuts. You can also roast them in a pan on the stove. Just put the heat on fairly high and stir or toss the nuts around until that are roasted. You can also roast them in the oven without oil. Whatever works for you--oil, no oil, pan, stove--it's not too hard. :-)

>

> --

>