Guest guest

Guest guest

how-green-smoothies-can-devastate-your-health/

Well, she may consider herself the "healthy home economist" but

apparently it's not occurred to her to rotate greens to keep the

oxalate factor under control. Simply being aware of oxalate content

of various foods and making sure to get a variety of both oxalates

and non-oxalates will take care of that, as has been discussed often

here. Here's one list, and a Google search will get you others: www.ohf.org/docs/Oxalate2008.pdf

Maybe she's one of these folks who only eats spinach salad or

something and has forgotten there are other greens.

Sounds more like a convenient soapbox, though...I say, if it worries

her, she shouldn't make green smoothies. I'll go on rotating my

greens and making smoothies of 'em, and we'll both be happy. :-)

SJ

Guest guest

This article created quite a sensation and was discussed on the list.Here was my reply back then:/message/25830

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jul 21, 2012, at 7:44 PM, sjc wrote:

here. Here's one list, and a Google search will get you others: www.ohf.org/docs/Oxalate2008.pdf

SJ

Guest guest

Thanks Lea Ann and SJ,If I had looked harder I would have found it.Don From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:17 PM Subject: Re: Topic for discussion

This article created quite a sensation and was discussed on the list.Here was my reply back then:/message/25830

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jul 21, 2012, at 7:44 PM, sjc wrote:

SJ

Guest guest

From: sjc <indexer@...> Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 5:44 PMSubject: Re: Topic for discussion

Well, she may consider herself the "healthy home economist" but apparently it's not occurred to her to rotate greens to keep the oxalate factor under control. Simply being aware of oxalate content of various foods and making sure to get a variety of both oxalates and non-oxalates will take care of that, as has been discussed often here. Here's one list, and a Google search will get you others: www.ohf.org/docs/Oxalate2008.pdfMaybe she's one of these folks who only eats spinach salad or something and has forgotten there are other greens.Sounds more like a convenient soapbox, though...I say, if it worries her, she shouldn't make green smoothies. I'll go on rotating my greens and making smoothies of 'em, and we'll both be happy. :-)

SJ

Guest guest

's audience is predominantly following the Nourishing Traditions (and or GAPS) diets. These diets are heavy in meats, and the GAPS diet is targeted towards helping people "seal up" their "leaky guts". Since: 1) meat eating plays a role in causing kidney stones (see Boutenko's rebuttal to this article for more information on this), and 2) gut dysbiosis plays a role in oxalate pathology, 's audience would be more likely to benefit from reducing dietary oxalates.Reducing dietary oxalates can be nothing short of miraculous for SOME people. I joined the Low Oxalate Group after reading this article to learn more. There is no denying the benefits - again for SOME people. Just as there is no denying how miraculous Green Smoothies were for me and others.This topic illustrates that there is no one "right" diet (daily food) for everyone, and the best advice is to keep a food diary and learn how foods affect you as an Individual, rather than blindly follow any diet or eating recommendation.Also, regardless of how good a food is for you. Daily consumption of the SAME food item can be (notice I said "can") problematic. As SJ (see note below) and Boutenko (the lady who made Green Smoothies popular) recommend - Rotate Your Greens! :-)

On Jul 21, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Dix Lee wrote:

From: sjc <indexer@...> Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 5:44 PMSubject: Re: Topic for discussion

Well, she may consider herself the "healthy home economist" but apparently it's not occurred to her to rotate greens to keep the oxalate factor under control. Simply being aware of oxalate content of various foods and making sure to get a variety of both oxalates and non-oxalates will take care of that, as has been discussed often here. Here's one list, and a Google search will get you others: www.ohf.org/docs/Oxalate2008.pdfMaybe she's one of these folks who only eats spinach salad or something and has forgotten there are other greens.Sounds more like a convenient soapbox, though...I say, if it worries her, she shouldn't make green smoothies. I'll go on rotating my greens and making smoothies of 'em, and we'll both be happy. :-)

SJ

Guest guest

IN FULL AGREEMENT. WE ARE THE BEST JUDGES OF WHAT IS BEST FOR OUR BODIES. i AM READING dR. fUHRMAN'S BOOKS NOW TO HELP MYSELF AND MY GRANDCHILD WITH HEALTHIER FOODS. SOME RECIPES ARE JUST TOO CREATIVE, BUT THE WORK. HE RECOMENDS THE VITAMIX IN HIS BOOKS. HIDES GROUND NUTS IN MOST OF HIS SAUCES. AWESOME FOR MY GRAND BABY WHO LOVES THE SOY MILK, ALMONDS, AND RAISINS SAUCE. I CHANGE THE NUTS AND THE MILK FLAVOR AND NUTRITION. Sincere Uncritical AcceptanceZeida S.Chaudoin321-225-1166zeidota1234@... From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...>

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:46 AM Subject: Re: Topic for discussion

's audience is predominantly following the Nourishing Traditions (and or GAPS) diets. These diets are heavy in meats, and the GAPS diet is targeted towards helping people "seal up" their "leaky guts". Since: 1) meat eating plays a role in causing kidney stones (see Boutenko's rebuttal to this article for more information on this), and 2) gut dysbiosis plays a role in oxalate pathology, 's audience would be more likely to benefit from reducing dietary oxalates.Reducing dietary

oxalates can be nothing short of miraculous for SOME people. I joined the Low Oxalate Group after reading this article to learn more. There is no denying the benefits - again for SOME people. Just as there is no denying how miraculous Green Smoothies were for me and others.This topic illustrates that there is no one "right" diet (daily food) for everyone, and the best advice is to keep a food diary and learn how foods affect you as an Individual, rather than blindly follow any diet or eating recommendation.Also, regardless of how good a food is for you. Daily consumption of the SAME food item can be (notice I said "can") problematic. As SJ (see note below) and Boutenko (the lady who made Green Smoothies popular) recommend - Rotate Your Greens! :-)

On Jul 21, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Dix Lee wrote:

SJ

Guest guest

I think when formulating an opinion about what foods may have problems, it helps to look at what company the person in question is working for. The Healthy Home Economist works for the Weston Price Foundation. This foundation is very involved with organic cattle farmers who produce organic meats and milk products. I believe these are healthy products for people who want to eat animal foods and get the living enzyemes from raw milk. However, if everyone eats only vegetables and fruits, then these dedicated farmers would be out of business. Just a thought. From: Tom Matuschak <pmatus@...> Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:50 AM Subject: RE: Topic for discussion

There are usually two sides of a story and this is no exception. Personally I don't worry about it. Tom http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/blog/2012/05/29/response-to-article-how-green-smoothies-can-devastate-your-health/ From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ac7co@...Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:19 PM Subject: Topic for discussion Maybe you have discussed this before bt I couldn't find anything on it.My daughter sent this to me and I would like to see what you all

think of this.It seems no matter what you do, someone has a reason why it is bad for you.http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/how-green-smoothies-can-devastate-your-health/Don

Guest guest

Here is an interesting article about how going low oxalate helped a doctor in the U.K. heal from fibromyalgia. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2174474/The-GP-gave-fruit-veg-cure-aches-pains.html 

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

's audience is predominantly following the Nourishing Traditions (and or GAPS) diets.  These diets are heavy in meats, and the GAPS diet is targeted towards helping people " seal up " their " leaky guts " .  Since:  1) meat eating plays a role in causing kidney stones (see Boutenko's rebuttal to this article for more information on this), and 2) gut dysbiosis plays a role in oxalate pathology, 's audience would be more likely to benefit from reducing dietary oxalates.

Reducing dietary oxalates can be nothing short of miraculous for SOME people.   I joined the Low Oxalate Group after reading this article to learn more.  There is no denying the benefits - again for SOME people.  Just as there is no denying how miraculous Green Smoothies were for me and others.

This topic illustrates that there is no one " right " diet (daily food) for everyone, and the best advice is to keep a food diary and learn how foods affect you as an Individual, rather than blindly follow any diet or eating recommendation.

Also, regardless of how good a food is for you.  Daily consumption of the SAME food item can be (notice I said " can " ) problematic.  As SJ (see note below) and Boutenko (the lady who made Green Smoothies popular) recommend - Rotate Your Greens!  :-) 

Blessings,Lea Ann Savage