RemedySpot.com

Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question about beans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Quinoa is an EXCELLENT source of protein for vegetarians…For the most part, I don't eat grains, but if I did - Quinoa is the grain I would eat! :-)Here's a good article on Quinoa: http://bodyecology.com/articles/quinoa_benefits_guide.php

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jul 16, 2012, at 8:34 AM, Rena Glubay wrote:

Another good source of protein is quinoa. It is a grain and a complete protein. It is very easy to cook. You could cook a large batch and freeze it in the quantity you want to use. Basic recipe:

1 C quinoa2 C waterBring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or so covered.Rinse the quinoa very well before cooking otherwise it has a bitter taste. I put 1 C quinoa in a 4 cup measuring cup and let water trickle in until it runs clear.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM, koffeekam <kmcdonald24@...> wrote:

OK, I added some canned White beans...I finally found some with no salt. The selection was limited.

First, it was all I could do to open the can and put them in a container without gagging! Then, I added about 1/3 - 1/2 cup in my smoothie this morning. (Holding my breath!)

Bottom line: I cannot taste them in there. BUT, I feel like a child - I KNOW they are in there, so I am imgaining that I can sense them, if you know what I mean. It is all mental.

I am going to give a little of the smoothie to a co-worker this morning and get an honest opinion if he can taste the beans.

But, I am SO excited that I can add protein "naturally"!!

THANKS! :)

Kathleen

> >

> >>

> >> I absolutely cannot stand beans. I think it is the texture...but who knows.

> >>

> >> I would like to add some protein to my diet and am hesitant to try Protein powders (they just "seem" so unnatural to me). I am not making a judgement on Protein Powders, just haven't had a chance to research them yet.

> >>

> >> But, trying to be creative...what if I ground some dry beans in my dry container and added the bean "flour" to my morning smoothies? Or to other things?

> >>

> >> Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kinds of beans? Does it alter the taste?

> >>

> >> What are some things I could do with ground beans?

> >>

> >> Any thoughts, ideas would be appreciated!

> >> Thanks,

> >> Kathleen

> >>

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Contrary to popular belief, Quinoa is not actually a grain but a fruit of a plant that belongs to the same botanical family as beets.a W.

On Jul 16, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Quinoa is an EXCELLENT source of protein for vegetarians…For the most part, I don't eat grains, but if I did - Quinoa is the grain I would eat! :-)Here's a good article on Quinoa: http://bodyecology.com/articles/quinoa_benefits_guide.php

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

Another good source of protein is quinoa. It is a grain and a complete protein. It is very easy to cook. You could cook a large batch and freeze it in the quantity you want to use. Basic recipe:

1 C quinoa2 C waterBring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or so covered.Rinse the quinoa very well before cooking otherwise it has a bitter taste. I put 1 C quinoa in a 4 cup measuring cup and let water trickle in until it runs clear.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

OK, I added some canned White beans...I finally found some with no salt. The selection was limited.

First, it was all I could do to open the can and put them in a container without gagging! Then, I added about 1/3 - 1/2 cup in my smoothie this morning. (Holding my breath!)

Bottom line: I cannot taste them in there. BUT, I feel like a child - I KNOW they are in there, so I am imgaining that I can sense them, if you know what I mean. It is all mental.

I am going to give a little of the smoothie to a co-worker this morning and get an honest opinion if he can taste the beans.

But, I am SO excited that I can add protein "naturally"!!

Kathleen

> >

> >>

> >> I absolutely cannot stand beans. I think it is the texture...but who knows.

> >>

> >> I would like to add some protein to my diet and am hesitant to try Protein powders (they just "seem" so unnatural to me). I am not making a judgement on Protein Powders, just haven't had a chance to research them yet.

> >>

> >> But, trying to be creative...what if I ground some dry beans in my dry container and added the bean "flour" to my morning smoothies? Or to other things?

> >>

> >> Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kinds of beans? Does it alter the taste?

> >>

> >>

> >> Thanks,

> >> Kathleen

> >>

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I eat quinoa and I love it. I read that it's a pseudo-grain. It's technically a seed.

a W <paula34117@...>;

To:

< >;

Subject:

Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question about beans

Sent:

Mon, Jul 16, 2012 6:59:16 PM

Contrary to popular belief, Quinoa is not actually a grain but a fruit of a plant that belongs to the same botanical family as beets.a W.

On Jul 16, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

But, I am SO excited that I can add protein " naturally " !!

Kathleen

> >

> >>

> >>

> >> I would like to add some protein to my diet and am hesitant to try Protein powders (they just " seem " so unnatural to me). I am not making a judgement on Protein Powders, just haven't had a chance to research them yet.

> >>

> >> But, trying to be creative...what if I ground some dry beans in my dry container and added the bean " flour " to my morning smoothies? Or to other things?

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> Thanks,

> >> Kathleen

> >>

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I have tasted it once, and liked it. I plan to check into this soon. I am going

overboard here. I need to slow down a little bit. But this is definitely on my

TO DO list. I have been in the process of eating up all my stockpile of food the

last few months. I INTEND to get healthy first and lose some weight as a bonus.

I just accidently wandered into this group because of the FoodSaver group and it

was like a bright ray of light. Exactly what I need. I wanted to go back to a

vegetarian regime..I don't like that nasty four letter word..try to avoid it if

I can.

But I am like a baby. Need some help so I am soaking every word in. I had to

laugh today..I am not being negative in any way. But when I read someone didn't

like beans it tickled me. Being an old woman from the rural south and raised

when you lived on beans, taters and bread. Home canned foods, milk and milk

products from a petted contented cow. No one I knew even had a freezer. A lot

didn't have refrigerators. Living far from town those folks depended upon spring

houses and even keeping some things lowered into the well.

But every one had beans. A lot of people would buy 100 pounds bags of pintos and

white beans in the fall when they sold their tobacco crops. And filled in with

what meat had been cured and root crops.

I still buy my pintos in 10 pound bags. Eat em cold for breakfast. Pintos are

like potatoes, so many ways to prepare them. But my favorite will always be my

favorite when I was a child. Plain ole beans and cornbread with chow chow.

This is one of the great things about the time we live in now. We can " meet "

people from so many places and see such a variety of cultures.

>

> Contrary to popular belief, Quinoa is not actually a grain but a fruit of a

plant that belongs to the same botanical family as beets.

>

> a W.

Guest guest

I don't really have too much experience with Quinoa but think I would add soup

bouillion to mine whle it is cooking. I am not really fond of plain rice

either, brown or white.

> > > >

> > > >>

> > > >> I absolutely cannot stand beans. I think it is the texture...but who

knows.

> > > >>

> > > >> I would like to add some protein to my diet and am hesitant to try

Protein powders (they just " seem " so unnatural to me). I am not making a

judgement on Protein Powders, just haven't had a chance to research them yet.

> > > >>

> > > >> But, trying to be creative...what if I ground some dry beans in my dry

container and added the bean " flour " to my morning smoothies? Or to other

things?

> > > >>

> > > >> Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kinds of beans? Does it alter

the taste?

> > > >>

> > > >> What are some things I could do with ground beans?

> > > >>

> > > >> Any thoughts, ideas would be appreciated!

> > > >> Thanks,

> > > >> Kathleen

> > > >>

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I feel like I have discovered a wonderful recipe for the ones that do not like quinoa. My vegetarian daughters do not like it. So I learned to hide it. I cook quinoa the basic way. I The LOVE THEM!! inclduing my 16 months grand baby. Then I blend blueberries to the water I use to mix the batter. It makes them sweet and my grand baby eats them without maple sirup or honey. Or I make a sauce using raisins, soy mild and cashews or almonds to dip the little pieces of waffles in the sauce. Deliciuos.Ok!! I got carried away!! Try them! It is worth it!!Sincere Uncritical AcceptanceZeida S.Chaudoin321-225-1166zeidota1234@... From: flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...>Subject: Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question

about beans Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 7:17 AM

I don't really have too much experience with Quinoa but think I would add soup bouillion to mine whle it is cooking. I am not really fond of plain rice either, brown or white.

> > > >

> > > >>

> > > >> I absolutely cannot stand beans. I think it is the texture...but who knows.

> > > >>

> > > >> I would like to add some protein to my diet and am hesitant to try Protein powders (they just "seem" so unnatural to me). I am not making a judgement on Protein Powders, just haven't had a chance to research them yet.

> > > >>

> > > >> But, trying to be creative...what if I ground some dry beans in my dry container and added the bean "flour" to my morning smoothies? Or to other things?

> > > >>

> > > >> Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kinds of beans? Does it alter the taste?

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >> Thanks,

> > > >> Kathleen

> > > >>

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Sorry I made a mistake on the last email.I feel like I have discovered a wonderful recipe for the ones that do not like quinoa. My vegetarian daughters do not like it. So I learned to hide it. I cook quinoa the basic way, then add it to a buttermilk pancake mix. They LOVE THEM!! includuing

my 16 month grand baby. I also blend blueberries to the water I use to mix the batter. It makes them sweet and my grand baby eats them without maple sirup or honey. Or I make a sauce using raisins, soy mild

and cashews or almonds to dip the little pieces of waffles in the sauce. Delicious.Ok!! I got carried away!! Try them! It is worth it!!Sincere Uncritical AcceptanceZeida S.Chaudoin321-225-1166zeidota1234@... --- On

Tue, 7/17/12, zeida chaudin <zeidota1234@...> wrote:From: zeida chaudin <zeidota1234@...>Subject: Re: Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question about beans Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 7:55 AM

Sincere Uncritical AcceptanceZeida S.Chaudoin321-225-1166zeidota1234@... From: flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...>Subject: Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question

I don't really have too much experience with Quinoa but think I would add soup bouillion to mine whle it is cooking. I am not really fond of plain rice either, brown or white.

> > > >

> > > >>

> > > >> I absolutely cannot stand beans. I think it is the texture...but who knows.

> > > >>

> > > >> I would like to add some protein to my diet and am hesitant to try Protein powders (they just "seem" so unnatural to me). I am not making a judgement on Protein Powders, just haven't had a chance to research them yet.

> > > >>

> > > >> But, trying to be creative...what if I ground some dry beans in my dry container and added the bean "flour" to my morning smoothies? Or to other things?

> > > >>

> > > >> Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kinds of beans? Does it alter the taste?

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >> Thanks,

> > > >> Kathleen

> > > >>

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Can you tell us more about living without a freezer? I am truly fascinated and

would love to know more details on how people used to (and do) get by without

relying on a freezer and refrigerator. We could all use this information as we

know how the power can so easily go out. We take so many things for granted and

don't know the simplest basics. How do you cook your beans? What are the best

kinds? How do you manage root crops? How do you cure your meats? What is chow

chow??? I'd be ever so grateful if you could shed some light for us. Thanks!

> >

> > Contrary to popular belief, Quinoa is not actually a grain but a fruit of a

plant that belongs to the same botanical family as beets.

> >

> > a W.

>

Guest guest

Excellent quinoa recipe:

1 c quinoa, rinsed

1 1/2 c vegetable broth

2 Tbs grapeseed oil

1 red onion, chopped

3 Tbs balsamic vinegar

4-6 oz of arugula or spinach or blend, chopped

4 oz gouda or feta

3 stalks celery, chopped

1 fuji apple, diced

1 c walnuts, chopped

1 c fennel, diced

1 c dried cranberries

3 Tbs Balsamic vinegar

2 Tbs olive oil

2 tsp dijon mustard

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

1/8 tsp or to taste cayenne pepper

1. Bring quinoa and broth to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 mins. Remove from heat and leave covered for another 5 mins.

2. Heat grapeseed oil and add chopped onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender and brown approx 8 mins. Add 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar and stir until it cooks off approx 60 secs. Let cool to room temp.

3. Mix quinoa, spinach, onions, cheese, celery, apple, walnuts, fennel and cranberries in a large bowl.

4. In a salad dressing mixer, combine 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne and mix well. Toss with quinoa mixture.

Serve at room temp or chilled.

Enjoy!

From: zeida chaudin <zeidota1234@...> Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:59 AMSubject: Re: Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question about beans

Sorry I made a mistake on the last email.I feel like I have discovered a wonderful recipe for the ones that do not like quinoa. My vegetarian daughters do not like it. So I learned to hide it. I cook quinoa the basic way, then add it to a buttermilk pancake mix. They LOVE THEM!! includuing my 16 month grand baby. I also blend blueberries to the water I use to mix the batter. It makes them sweet and my grand baby eats them without maple sirup or honey. Or I make a sauce using raisins, soy mild and cashews or almonds to dip the little pieces of waffles in the sauce. Delicious.Ok!! I got carried away!! Try them! It is worth it!!

Sincere Uncritical AcceptanceZeida S.Chaudoin321-225-1166zeidota1234@...

From: flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...>Subject: Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question about beans Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 7:17 AM

I don't really have too much experience with Quinoa but think I would add soup bouillion to mine whle it is cooking. I am not really fond of plain rice either, brown or white.> > > > > > > >> > > > >> I absolutely cannot stand beans. I think it is the

texture...but who knows. > > > >> > > > >> I would like to add some protein to my diet and am hesitant to try Protein powders (they just "seem" so unnatural to me). I am not making a judgement on Protein Powders, just haven't had a chance to research them yet. > > > >> > > > >> But, trying to be creative...what if I ground some dry beans in my dry container and added the bean "flour" to my morning smoothies? Or to other things?> > > >> > > > >> Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kinds of beans? Does it alter the taste?> > > >> > > > >> What are some things I could do with ground beans?> > > >> > > > >> Any thoughts, ideas would be appreciated!> > > >> Thanks,> > > >> Kathleen> > > >> > > > >

> > > > > > > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > >>

Guest guest

How clever you are. ;) Your pancakes sound divine, and I love the idea of making a dipping sauce like you described... thanks for the inspiration!Oh, and about rinsing quinoa - I found a method that works for me, and I find it much easier than holding it under running water until the water runs clear... I put the quinoa in plenty of water to soak about 15 min before I cook it. After it has soaked a while, I swish it around in the water with my hand, picking up a handful and I sort of squish it with my hand - I do this for a minute or two, then I strain the quinoa and water through a fine mesh sieve, then I rinse the quinoa with running water until it runs clear (which takes far less time than if I had just rinsed it like this from the start, without the soaking). FrannySent from my iPhoneOn Jul 17, 2012, at 6:59 AM, zeida chaudin <zeidota1234@...> wrote:

Sorry I made a mistake on the last email.I feel like I have discovered a wonderful recipe for the ones that do not like quinoa. My vegetarian daughters do not like it. So I learned to hide it. I cook quinoa the basic way, then add it to a buttermilk pancake mix. They LOVE THEM!! includuing

my 16 month grand baby. I also blend blueberries to the water I use to mix the batter. It makes them sweet and my grand baby eats them without maple sirup or honey. Or I make a sauce using raisins, soy mild

and cashews or almonds to dip the little pieces of waffles in the sauce. Delicious.Ok!! I got carried away!! Try them! It is worth it!!Sincere Uncritical AcceptanceZeida S.Chaudoin321-225-1166zeidota1234@... --- On

Tue, 7/17/12, zeida chaudin <zeidota1234@...> wrote:From: zeida chaudin <zeidota1234@...>Subject: Re: Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question about beans Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 7:55 AM

Sincere Uncritical AcceptanceZeida S.Chaudoin321-225-1166zeidota1234@... From: flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...>Subject: Re: Quinoa - a good source of protein for vegetarians - was - Weird question

> > > >

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >>

> > > >> Thanks,

> > > >> Kathleen

> > > >>

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >