RemedySpot.com

What went wrong-why did my smoothie become sorbet?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Yesterday, I made a smoothie with a cup of grapes, a frozen banana, cup of fresh

strawberries, and a cup of ice. It was quite good.

Today, I tried making the same thing with a cup of grapes, a frozen banana, cup

of frozen strawberries, and a little water. Instead, first my machine seemed to

struggle, and then I ended up with sorbet. Should I have let the strawberries

thaw for a bit, or heat them up in the microwave for 10 seconds? Did I need more

water? Less water? Do I wait for the sorbet to melt and then reblend?

Thanks!

Guest guest

Hello JedSA,On High, the blades of the Vitamix spin fast enough to create friction heat. The longer the machine runs on High, the higher the temperature gets. It can heat things up to nearly 200° (close to boil ing :-). Therefore, if you create something that is more like a Sorbet or an Ice Cream, but you want a smoothie, all you have to do is use your tamper liberally (to keep everything flowing through the blades) then allow everything to blend on High until the frozen ingredients melt to the temperature you like. There is more information here: http://blenderlady.com/recipes/#Fruit%20JuiceIn my shows, while I am explaining how the machine makes hot soup I say, "if I didn't stop blending, the sorbet that I made earlier would become a smoothie, then it would get warm, then it would become a hot fruit syrup"!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On May 15, 2012, at 12:52 AM, JedSA wrote:

Yesterday, I made a smoothie with a cup of grapes, a frozen banana, cup of fresh strawberries, and a cup of ice. It was quite good.

Today, I tried making the same thing with a cup of grapes, a frozen banana, cup of frozen strawberries, and a little water. Instead, first my machine seemed to struggle, and then I ended up with sorbet. Should I have let the strawberries thaw for a bit, or heat them up in the microwave for 10 seconds? Did I need more water? Less water? Do I wait for the sorbet to melt and then reblend?

Thanks!