RemedySpot.com

Re: Something besides banana to add texture to smoothies?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Avocado is a good choice, but not sweet like a banana...On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM, J Friend <kjother@...> wrote:

I rely on frozen bananas to give me a certain texture for my smoothies. I am needing to leave off bananas for a few days, and have tried coconut milk (canned and fresh coconut also), frozen pineapple and frozen mango. Nothing's doing it. Other ideas for thickening it up a bit?

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Try xanthum gum - just 1/4 tsp adds that wonderful mouth feel you are poking for. I bought Bobs Red Mill at Sprouts. This bag will last twenty years but so worth it! If not creamy enough increase by 1/4 teaspoonfuls.GweninTXOn Jul 16, 2012, at 9:48 PM, Wes Thierry <westhierry@...> wrote:

Avocado is a good choice, but not sweet like a banana...On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM, J Friend <kjother@...> wrote:

I rely on frozen bananas to give me a certain texture for my smoothies. I am needing to leave off bananas for a few days, and have tried coconut milk (canned and fresh coconut also), frozen pineapple and frozen mango. Nothing's doing it. Other ideas for thickening it up a bit?

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Avocado. G From: J Friend <kjother@...> Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 7:44 PM Subject: Something besides banana to add

texture to smoothies?

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

How about an apple or a carrot?

>

> I rely on frozen bananas to give me a certain texture for my smoothies. I am

needing to leave off bananas for a few days, and have tried coconut milk (canned

and fresh coconut also), frozen pineapple and frozen mango. Nothing's doing it.

Other ideas for thickening it up a bit?

>

> Thanks!

>

> Jill

>

Guest guest

Never tried it myself in a smoothie...but how about yogurt?

I am kind of new to yogurt and have tried the lowfat fruit kinds - which are

" OK " thick. But we just got some no-fat (or low fat?) Chobani(?) Greek yogurt

and it was thick like sour cream. We subbed it for mayo and it held texture. It

was my first experience with Greek yogurt and we were pleasantly surprised. I am

not sure if the flavored varieties are just as thick.

Kathleen

>

needing to leave off bananas for a few days, and have tried coconut milk (canned

>

> Thanks!

>

> Jill

>

Guest guest

Hi Jill,Try using chia seeds. They bulk up when you soak them in water and the texture is kind of gel-like, which adds great texture to smoothies.   I usually soak mine first for about 15 mins and then add to my smoothie.  Or, you can make a batch in advance and keep in fridge and just spoon out as needed during the week.

Hope this helps!Verria

Guest guest

We use vanilla Chiobani (or other greek yogurt) in most of our smoothies. My

son likes to put almond milk plus the yogurt in when he makes them. I think the

milk thins it out a bit though it adds good flavor. I would stick with the

yogurt!

> >

> > I rely on frozen bananas to give me a certain texture for my smoothies. I am

> >

> > Thanks!

> >

> > Jill

> >

>

Guest guest

You guys are great!

I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed and

xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does anyone

have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like it? We

always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids. And are

there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like texture?

I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I love my

bananas!!!!

Thanks again!

Jill

Guest guest

I find that blueberries help thicken a green smoothie as well as help hide the green.Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM, J Friend <kjother@...> wrote:

You guys are great!

I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids. And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I love my bananas!!!!

Thanks again!

Jill

Guest guest

That's so funny! I'm a newbie here and just started making smoothies. Putting FF greek yogurt and a little low fat milk. Then lots of fruit and sneaking in squash, and spinch etc. Flavor really good but my husband asked me to put it in a non see through cup cause he just can't drink "brown smoothies!" CarylOn Jul 17, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Rena Glubay wrote:I find that blueberries help thicken a green smoothie as well as help hide the green.RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM, J Friend <kjother@...> wrote: You guys are great!I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids. And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I love my bananas!!!!Thanks again!Jill

Guest guest

Try throwing in some cocoa powder or carob powder and make the " brown smoothie " chocolaty!Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Caryl Goodman <joyfulimpress@...> wrote:

That's so funny! I'm a newbie here and just started making smoothies. Putting FF greek yogurt and a little low fat milk. Then lots of fruit and sneaking in squash, and spinch etc. Flavor really good but my husband asked me to put it in a non see through cup cause he 

just can't drink " brown smoothies! "  CarylOn Jul 17, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Rena Glubay wrote:

I find that blueberries help thicken a green smoothie as well as help hide the green.Rena

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. 

Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM, J Friend <kjother@...> wrote:

You guys are great!I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids. And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I love my bananas!!!!

Thanks again!Jill

Guest guest

Well I hadn't thought of that! My husband has no problem drinking a "BROWN chocolate smoothie!" LolOn Jul 17, 2012, at 11:29 AM, Rena Glubay wrote:Try throwing in some cocoa powder or carob powder and make the "brown smoothie" chocolaty!RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Caryl Goodman <joyfulimpress@...> wrote: That's so funny! I'm a newbie here and just started making smoothies. Putting FF greek yogurt and a little low fat milk. Then lots of fruit and sneaking in squash, and spinch etc. Flavor really good but my husband asked me to put it in a non see through cup cause he just can't drink "brown smoothies!" CarylOn Jul 17, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Rena Glubay wrote:I find that blueberries help thicken a green smoothie as well as help hide the green.RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM, J Friend <kjother@...> wrote: You guys are great!I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids. And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I love my bananas!!!!Thanks again!Jill

Guest guest

I like to put a scoop of protien powder in smoothies. It thickens it up a bit

and also gives me some protien to go with all those carbs. The other thing you

might consider is putting in some cabbage. Its pretty much flavorless in a

smoothie and it thickens nicely. In fact, I use it in almost all of the soups I

make in the Vitamix because it gives nice body without adding an unwanted

flavor, its good ruffage and adds almost nothing to caloric content.

~Terri

> >

> >> **

> >>

> >>

> >> You guys are great!

> >>

> >> I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia

> >> seed and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does

> >> help- does anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so

> >> kids will like it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the

> >> fruit for the kids. And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to

> >> help give that banana-like texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk

> >> and add it in chunks? Man, I love my bananas!!!!

> >>

> >> Thanks again!

> >>

> >> Jill

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

How bout beans? I've started adding white beans to some of my smoothies and you

can't even taste them. One half to a whole cup adds thickness and texture

without being too sweet. Plus the added bennies of protein and fiber. I find it

makes the smoothie more filling and stays with me longer too.

>

>

> Thanks!

>

> Jill

>

Guest guest

I love beans. All kinds if beans. White bean Soup with rosemary and my best

newly pressed olive oil. It's do good. My husband adopted two trees from Nudo. I

get all of the oil from those trees every year. Do you know them?

Check out this video on YouTube:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3xGFILyLhg & feature=youtube_gdata_player>

I love my Nudo oil. Not too cook with tho, it's too good to heat.

 Sent from my iPadHD

On Jul 17, 2012, at 3:55 PM, " " <suepoland67@...> wrote:

> How bout beans? I've started adding white beans to some of my smoothies and

you can't even taste them. One half to a whole cup adds thickness and texture

without being too sweet. Plus the added bennies of protein and fiber. I find it

makes the smoothie more filling and stays with me longer too.

>

>

>>

>> I rely on frozen bananas to give me a certain texture for my smoothies. I am

>>

>> Thanks!

>>

>> Jill

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

Nudo is a pretty novel idea.  I'll keep that in mind.  As a Prime member of Amazon I like to take advantage of Subscribe and Save program when I find something I user regularly and in this case I get a Spanish oil called Zoe Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  The price of this oil has gone up since I have been using it but right now it cost $21.48 for two 25.5 oz tins.  As a Prime member shipping is free too. http://www.amazon.com/Zoe-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Olive/dp/B0060JMVM0/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery & ie=UTF8 & qid=1342558147 & sr=1-1 & keywords=olive+oil+extra+virgin Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Terry PogueSent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:11 PM Subject: Re: Re: Something besides banana to add texture to smoothies? I love beans. All kinds if beans. White bean Soup with rosemary and my best newly pressed olive oil. It's do good. My husband adopted two trees from Nudo. I get all of the oil from those trees every year. Do you know them?Check out this video on YouTube:<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3xGFILyLhg & feature=youtube_gdata_player>I love my Nudo oil. Not too cook with tho, it's too good to heat. Sent from my iPadHDOn Jul 17, 2012, at 3:55 PM, " " <suepoland67@...> wrote:> How bout beans? I've started adding white beans to some of my smoothies and you can't even taste them. One half to a whole cup adds thickness and texture without being too sweet. Plus the added bennies of protein and fiber. I find it makes the smoothie more filling and stays with me longer too. > > >> >> I rely on frozen bananas to give me a certain texture for my smoothies. I am needing to leave off bananas for a few days, and have tried coconut milk (canned and fresh coconut also), frozen pineapple and frozen mango. Nothing's doing it. Other ideas for thickening it up a bit? >> >> Thanks!>> >> Jill>> > > > > > ------------------------------------> > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/ > (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!

Guest guest

I sometimes throw in about a half cup of raw cashews to my smoothies, which adds some creaminess and protein. I actually made a great cream of asparagus soup yesterday with cashews, a can of asparagus (drained), about a half cup of unsweetened almond milk, and a pinch of nutmeg. It was so good! It was my first time trying soup in the Vitamix by letting it run long enough to heat it up -- worked very nicely!

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:24 AM, flnancy1958 <flnancy1958@...> wrote:

How about an apple or a carrot?

>

> I rely on frozen bananas to give me a certain texture for my smoothies. I am needing to leave off bananas for a few days, and have tried coconut milk (canned and fresh coconut also), frozen pineapple and frozen mango. Nothing's doing it. Other ideas for thickening it up a bit?

>

> Thanks!

>

> Jill

>

-- Larimoreklarimore605@...http://www.specialneedsabudhabi.blogspot.com

Home phone: 206-420-3141Cell phone: 610-675-5341

Guest guest

You can freeze any fruit to add. Freeze bananas, freeze strawberries,

blueberries, peaches, mango but don't know about pineapple. Can also freeze

juice like mango nectar, etc. I can understand your husband's problem as if it

looks likecrap he won't get that idea out of his mind. I have trouble with

green too, but it does taste good. May have to add in green a bit at a time

too. It needs to taste good.

> >>

> >> You guys are great!

> >>

> >> I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed

and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does

anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like

it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids.

And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like

texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I

love my bananas!!!!

> >>

> >> Thanks again!

> >>

> >> Jill

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Pineapple freezes great. I let it get really ripe. Peel it. Slice in half and then in half inch slices. Freeze in a bag. If you have trouble getting the slices apart a little nudge with a butter knife will do the trick. Love that in smoothies, core included. Never need to add sweetener!!ShirleyOn Jul 17, 2012, at 11:24 PM, sweet.caroline wrote:

You can freeze any fruit to add. Freeze bananas, freeze strawberries, blueberries, peaches, mango but don't know about pineapple. Can also freeze juice like mango nectar, etc. I can understand your husband's problem as if it looks likecrap he won't get that idea out of his mind. I have trouble with green too, but it does taste good. May have to add in green a bit at a time too. It needs to taste good.

> >>

> >> You guys are great!

> >>

> >> I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids. And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I love my bananas!!!!

> >>

> >> Thanks again!

> >>

> >> Jill

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Pineapple freezes great! I keep the hard center part when I cut up the pineapple

and throw it in the freezer to use in smoothies.

Thanks for all the great ideas on smoothies and variety.

Sent from my iPhone

Guest guest

I freeze pineapple for ice cream.

 Sent from my iPadHD

On Jul 17, 2012, at 11:24 PM, " sweet.caroline " <carolyn.wilkerson@...>

wrote:

> You can freeze any fruit to add. Freeze bananas, freeze strawberries,

blueberries, peaches, mango but don't know about pineapple. Can also freeze

juice like mango nectar, etc. I can understand your husband's problem as if it

looks likecrap he won't get that idea out of his mind. I have trouble with

green too, but it does taste good. May have to add in green a bit at a time

too. It needs to taste good.

>

>

>

>>>>

>>>> You guys are great!

>>>>

>>>> I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed

and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does

anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like

it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids.

And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like

texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I

love my bananas!!!!

>>>>

>>>> Thanks again!

>>>>

>>>> Jill

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> Please bookmark these pages:

>

> /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes,

and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)

>

>

/links/IMPORTANT_VitamixE\

nthusiasts_Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you

unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of

Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from

coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page

and read messages online!

Guest guest

I am big fan of avocado. So i cut it up and dependign on the smoothie you can use half or whole.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Terry Pogue <tpogue@...> wrote:

I freeze pineapple for ice cream.  Sent from my iPadHD

On Jul 17, 2012, at 11:24 PM, " sweet.caroline " <carolyn.wilkerson@...> wrote:> You can freeze any fruit to add. Freeze bananas, freeze strawberries, blueberries, peaches, mango but don't know about pineapple. Can also freeze juice like mango nectar, etc. I can understand your husband's problem as if it looks likecrap he won't get that idea out of his mind. I have trouble with green too, but it does taste good. May have to add in green a bit at a time too. It needs to taste good.

> > > >>>> >>>> You guys are great!

>>>> >>>> I forgot to mention that we aren't doing dairy right now, but the chia seed and xantham gum ideas we could try. We do some avocado- which does help- does anyone have a smoothie recipe that has avocado yet is fruity so kids will like it? We always throw some greens in, but I have to have the fruit for the kids. And are there any other fruits that can be FROZEN to help give that banana-like texture? I might try freezing some coconut milk and add it in chunks? Man, I love my bananas!!!!

>>>> >>>> Thanks again!>>>> >>>> Jill>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>

>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Please bookmark these pages:> > /links/

> (this is the Links page where I save the answers to FAQs and Answers, Recipes, and LOTS of other helpful information - this page is always being added to)> > /links/IMPORTANT__Membership__001327149393/

> PLEASE DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ARE GETTING TOO MUCH MAIL! (if you unsubscribe, you will lose access to the Links page - an Encyclopedia of Collected Vitamix Wisdom! Go to this link to learn how to stop mail from coming, but STILL be a member of the group so you can STILL visit the Links page and read messages online!