RemedySpot.com

Re: I use the orange rind. Is that ok??!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Orange rind or zest?

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM, monique <moniquearsenault@...> wrote:

> Hello. I see that in all recipes, it is recommended that the orange rind be

removed before adding to the Vita mix. I like the taste of the rind. Is it OK

to keep it - or am I slowly poisoning my family!!

>

Guest guest

I use a peeler and remove just the orange portion, leaving as much of the white as possible.  I heard once that you shouldn't eat the orange part but I don't remember where I heard that.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM, monique <moniquearsenault@...> wrote:

Hello. I see that in all recipes, it is recommended that the orange rind be removed before adding to the Vita mix. I like the taste of the rind. Is it OK to keep it - or am I slowly poisoning my family!!

Guest guest

the orange part is the zest and is where all the flavor is. the white part is the rind and bitter. On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

I use a peeler and remove just the orange portion, leaving as much of the white as possible.  I heard once that you shouldn't eat the orange part but I don't remember where I heard that.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Hello. I see that in all recipes, it is recommended that the orange rind be removed before adding to the Vita mix. I like the taste of the rind. Is it OK to keep it - or am I slowly poisoning my family!!

Guest guest

Here are a couple of good links that tell of the benefits of eating orange rind.. the short answer is yes they are safe to eat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/521033-the-benefits-of-eating-orange-peels/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/440499-a-list-of-the-benefits-of-orange-peels/

Donnita wrote:

Guest guest

Hi Ron, it is a common belief that the white part is bitter (I think because recipes call for the orange zest) but if you do a taste test (taste the two side-by-side), you will see that it is the orange part that has the more bitter flavor. The white part is rather benign. Orange zest is always paired with loads of sugar in recipes to compensate for the bitterness. - if you like the taste, there is no problem (no health risk) putting it in…

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jul 27, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Ron West wrote:

the orange part is the zest and is where all the flavor is. the white part is the rind and bitter. On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

Guest guest

I think the zest of any citrus just adds flavor. Usually more than the juice. If any recipe calls for any juice I always include some if the zest. Sent from my iPadHDOn Jul 27, 2012, at 10:06 AM, Rena Glubay <jp17aday@...> wrote:

I use a peeler and remove just the orange portion, leaving as much of the white as possible. I heard once that you shouldn't eat the orange part but I don't remember where I heard that.

RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.