RemedySpot.com

Re: Do you know about peppermint

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Peppermint for Indigestion

Peppermint for Irritable Bowel Syndrome "

Peppermint is one of favorites. It's also used for:

toothaches~ gargle with peppermint tea to ease pain and fight infection

body odor~ drink several cups of peppermint tea per day or make tea to use in a herbal bath

nervous tension ~ peppermint will calm you all over!

nausea and stomach cramps~ has anesthetic effect on nerve endings in the stomach

colds/flu/bronchitis~ use essential oil in a steam inhalation

headaches! and I'm sure there's more!

:o)

Connie

Connie Young, LMT

www.LostRiverNaturals.com

Organic~Herbal~Handcrafted

teas, bath and body care and more

$35 one hour massage!

From: Suzanne <suziesgoats@...>Subject: Do you know about pepperminthealth Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 9:16 AM

Peppermint for Indigestion In ancient Greece, people chewed a sprig of mint after feasts to settle the stomach, a tradition that evolved into our after-dinner mints. German researchers gave 118 adults with persistent indigestion a standard drug (cisapride) or twice-daily capsules of enteric-coated peppermint oil (90 mg) and caraway oil (50 mg), another traditional stomach soother. (The enteric coating allows the capsules to survive stomach acid and release their oil in the small intestine, where non-heartburn indigestion develops.) Four weeks later, the drug and the herb blend produced the same relief. If you use herbal oils, do not exceed the recommended dose, and keep them away from children. You also can brew a peppermint tea, and add a teaspoon of chopped caraway to meals. "When I get indigestion, " Duke says, "I go to the garden, pick some peppermint, chew some leaves, and make tea. It works for me." Peppermint for Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS involves persistent abdominal cramps, bloating, flatulence, and diarrhea or constipation. British researchers at the University of Exeter analyzed five studies of peppermint oil as a treatment, and found that it provided benefit. (See the previous item for options and cautions.)

Suzi

List Owner

http://health. groups.. com/group/ HAWK_Health_ Awareness/

http://360.. com/suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Yep YEP

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

From: Suzanne <suziesgoats@...>Subject: Do you know about pepperminthealth Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 9:16 AM

Peppermint for Indigestion In ancient Greece, people chewed a sprig of mint after feasts to settle the stomach, a tradition that evolved into our after-dinner mints. German researchers gave 118 adults with persistent indigestion a standard drug (cisapride) or twice-daily capsules of enteric-coated peppermint oil (90 mg) and caraway oil (50 mg), another traditional stomach soother. (The enteric coating allows the capsules to survive stomach acid and release their oil in the small intestine, where non-heartburn indigestion develops.) Four weeks later, the drug and the herb blend produced the same relief. If you use herbal oils, do not exceed the recommended dose, and keep them away from children. You also can brew a peppermint tea, and add a teaspoon of chopped caraway to meals. "When I get indigestion, " Duke says, "I go to the garden, pick some peppermint, chew some leaves, and make tea. It works for me." Peppermint for Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS involves persistent abdominal cramps, bloating, flatulence, and diarrhea or constipation. British researchers at the University of Exeter analyzed five studies of peppermint oil as a treatment, and found that it provided benefit. (See the previous item for options and cautions.)

Suzi

List Owner

http://health. groups.. com/group/ HAWK_Health_ Awareness/

http://360.. com/suziesgoats

Hi Connie,

Just wondering about using a peppermint tea or tincture for a mouthwash. Any ideas? I get an herbal mouthwash from an herbalist but the price is so outrageous that I want to create my own! Thanks for any suggestions.

Peace on earth.

Re: Do you know about peppermint

"Peppermint for Indigestion

Peppermint for Irritable Bowel Syndrome " Peppermint is one of favorites. It's also used for: toothaches~ gargle with peppermint tea to ease pain and fight infection

"Hi Connie,

Just wondering about using a peppermint tea or tincture for a mouthwash. Any ideas? I get an herbal mouthwash from an herbalist but the price is so outrageous that I want to create my own! Thanks for any suggestions.

Peace on earth."

I don't use mouthwash myself, but you could easily make a mouthwash with 1/4 cup vodka, 3/4 cup distilled water and several drops of peppermint essential oil. Very inexpensive! :o)

and you could add some other oils too such as tea tree or a little clove bud.

Do you make tinctures? It's pretty easy; all you need is time! I would not use a tincture for a mouthwash unless I was going to dilute a few droppersful into another liquid. But you could easily use peppermint essential oil here.

To make a tincture:

you'll need herbs, the menstruum (alcohol, or apple cider vinegar, you can also use equal portions of veg glycerin and distilled water) and a jar with tight fitting lid.

~use fresh herbs of dried herbs

add chosen herbs to jar then pour enough of the menstruum to cover herbs and then add another 3 inches or so

~put the lid on and place the jar in a warm, sunny spot for at least 4 weeks (longer is better)

~shake your jar daily to prevent herbs from settling

~strain at end of your maceration period using a cheescloth lined strainer and bottle your tincture!

~label and store in a cool dark place

Connie Young, LMT

www.LostRiverNaturals.com

Organic~Herbal~Handcrafted

teas, bath and body care and more

$35 one hour massage!

There's an herbal mouthwash in the Files section of the group's home page. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll post the formulation for you. I've tinctured the herbs for it and used it as a mouthwash with some success..

Peace, love, laughter

Hi Connie,

Peace on earth.