RemedySpot.com

Melatonin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Latest Data on Melatonin's Benefits

Melatonin is like the miniskirt of dietary supplements, coming in and out of fashion. Just in the last 10 years, melatonin has been venerated as an ideal natural remedy for sleep ailments and jet lag, only to later be denigrated as useless, sometimes even dangerous. Lately, however, the approval ratings are going back up as new research explores the important connections between light and melatonin levels. Other research focuses on melatonin’s role in the development of cancer. Research has uncovered a connection between light and cancer rates. In one study researchers found lower rates of cancer in people who are blind and have little or no light perception.

So is melatonin on the natural remedies “nice” or “naughty” list? I took my questions to Kontomerkos, ND, a naturopathic physician at Trumbull Naturopathic & Acupuncture in Trumbull, Connecticut. Dr. Kontomerkos told me that she does, in fact, commonly prescribe melatonin supplements for insomnia, jet lag and other sleep disturbances... but that the connection between the use and occurrence of cancer remains speculative.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Melatonin, which acts in the body as an antioxidant, is a hormone produced by the pineal gland in the brain from the amino acid tryptophan, which we metabolize from consuming foods such as turkey and dairy products. Melatonin blood levels rise and fall in tandem with exposure to light and darkness, as the body sails along in its ordinary day-night cycle or -- technically speaking -- circadian rhythm. Dr. Kontomerkos says darkness stimulates melatonin’s production, while light -- in particular, artificial “blue” light (as in fluorescent lighting, as well as natural daylight) -- suppresses it. This theoretically may explain why blind people manufacture more of this natural hormone.

SHEDDING LIGHT ON MELATONIN BENEFITS When melatonin levels are low, Dr. Kontomerkos often prescribes melatonin supplements to ease assorted sleep ailments, while monitoring usage to ensure proper levels are maintained. Melatonin levels can be measured through saliva with samples typically taken at a few different times during the day.

Calming sleep disturbances. Studies suggest that melatonin increases sleepiness... shortens the time it takes to fall asleep... and increases sleep duration. This may prove especially helpful in older people, in whom insomnia is common. However, further research is required to verify these benefits. In the meantime, Dr. Kontomerkos prescribes time-released melatonin on a short-term basis to sleep-deprived patients to help them fall asleep and stay asleep. She adds that melatonin is not universally effective -- in some people it works, in others it doesn’t.

Outrunning jet lag. The scourge of travel across time zones, jet lag can bring on crashing daytime fatigue and interfere with your ability to concentrate. Melatonin can help restore regular sleep patterns. A review of 10 trials, published by the Cochrane Collaboration, shows that in eight of them melatonin was “remarkably effective” in preventing or decreasing jet lag when taken close to bedtime (10 pm to midnight) at one’s destination after crossing five or more time zones.

Decreasing symptoms in those with dementia. A study in the June 11, 2008, issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that giving melatonin to people with dementia improved their sleep, especially in combination with exposure to bright lights all day. When light exposure was not used with melatonin, sleep onset and duration was improved, but people became more withdrawn. The combination treatment counteracted this adverse effect to some extent.

More potential benefits: Less well-documented, but nonetheless promising, are melatonin’s abundant antioxidant properties, leading researchers to continue to explore melatonin’s potential benefits for immune enhancement... cancer prevention or treatment... relief of irritable bowel syndrome... and more. Scientists are also exploring the potential of melatonin as a possible treatment for anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, seasonal affective disorder (SAD), smoking cessation, etc.

MAKING MELATONIN WORK FOR YOU

The most natural way to stimulate your body’s production of melatonin is by fine-tuning your exposure to light. Spend time outdoors in the sunlight. In the evening, keep the lighting soft. When it is time to go to sleep, make the room as dark as possible, filtering outdoor lighting and avoiding the use of nightlights. This promotes regular circadian rhythms. Dr. Kontomerkos notes that daytime exercise also encourages normal melatonin production, while stress can get in its way.

Occasional use of melatonin at proper dosages is generally safe and there are few side effects. Dr. Kontomerkos generally prescribes one- to five-mg capsules, starting patients with the smallest dose, and gradually increasing the prescription. She says that melatonin should only be used on a temporary basis while the patient establishes a lifestyle to get into a normal sleep cycle naturally.

Melatonin is readily available over-the-counter at most health food stores and pharmacies. Dr. Kontomerkos cautions that it should be taken under the guidance of a health care professional -- especially important if you take other medications, since melatonin interacts with a variety of drugs and can have an adverse effect in those with a chronic medical condition. Avoid it if you have epilepsy or if you take the blood-thinning drug warfarin.

That said, many people find melatonin to be beneficial, a natural and effective solution for occasional sleeplessness or in adjusting to time changes when they go on an extended vacation or business trip. We’ll keep you posted on further findings -- up or down -- on melatonin and health.

Source(s):

Kontomerkos, ND, a naturopathic physician at Trumbull Naturopathic & Acupuncture in Trumbull, Connecticut. Visit her Web site at http://www.letnatureheal.com/.

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

• 6 months later...
Guest guest

> Hi , Suzi and others, I tried to see your link and anything on

> melatonin for sleep and all I get is a rather blank page that said that

> message is unavailable for now? and a vegetable alge type one is a real

> interest to me someone said cacao? is that cocoa mispelled?

>

> thanks for any help

> Rita

Ev here -

I sent the forwarded suggestion to search for plant-based melatonin. One of

the the ones my friend found was cacao (pronounced kah-KOW) based. Cacao is

the plant from whence comes cocoa and chocolate.

Ev

Guest guest

Cacao is a stimulant and keeps my husband awake, if he eats it for dinner.

I know a lot of people who are sensitive to this bean and cannot eat it any time.

Shari