all stuck together! That effectively reduces the surface area of

the cell, and according to Dr. Brodsky, makes it less able to

transport oxygen, the cells can't flow through the capillaries

easily, and you get fatigued. You may want to increase your fish

oil instead to make sure your blood stays thin. My feeling is that

the coconut oil (a saturated fat) makes sticky blood, while fish oil

does not, but rather has the opposite effect. It's worth a try

anyway--you might want to see what happens if you increase your fish

oil instead, and add natural blood thinning herbs, like raw garlic.

Just a thought!

Patty

--- In , " mikat828 " <mikat828@y...>

wrote:

> -

> Rogene

> I get so tired when I even cook my egg in coconut oil. I get real

> fatigued and brain foggy. I won't give up though. Ihave been

doing it

> for months and am hooked on it as I don't like eggs cooked in

butter

> anymore. Most of the time I handle it now, but if I use it twice

in

> one day, watch out! I hope to get to the point where I can handle

> more.

> Hugs, kathy

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Although coconut oil is touted on some websites as “healthy” and “desirable”, it contains more saturated fat than any other oil. Why use it when there are other proven healthier alternatives?? Oils in the Mediterranean diet have a proven track record so why not go with a proven track record?

You can search our archives for other points of view. At one time, a member was vehement about its’ health benefits. But afaik they have not been scientifically proven.

I notice the wonderful link to our former “oils and fats” chart in the links section is no longer working. Here’s a page comparing various oils and fats: http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryreference/a/fattable.htm

On 12/13/10 10:19 AM, " silverman_wendy " <silverman_wendy@...> wrote:

Hi all and happy holidays!

I was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.

Thanks!

-

What Fran said... Enjoy real coconut for an occasional taste treat but the health claims for it seem to be hyperbole and unsupported. A balanced diet will include several different natural sources of healthy fats, and all fats are healthy in moderation, it's the dose that makes them bad. I see little need to add fat, with my food choices. While I try to include fish as one of my several typical fat sources. JR On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:19 AM, silverman_wendy wrote:

Hi all and happy holidays!

I was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.

Thanks!

-

Is there any scientific basis for using coconut oil as either a skin enhancer or a toothpaste? I’ve never heard of this before and would like to know why this would be a good idea.

On 12/14/10 9:06 AM, " Yogini " <yogini_valarie@...> wrote:

wrote [[i was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.]]

** I use organic coconut oil on my skin and to brush my teeth.

On my skin, it goes on greasy for just a few moments, then normalizes, leaving my skin non-greasy and smooth. As a toothpaste I mix it with baking soda (experimentation finds the right blend for you).

As to eating .. rarely. Occasionally, a Live Vegan recipe will call for it, but for me, its more for flavoring than oil. As such, when I see it called for in a recipe, I substitute young coconut water or meat with good results.

Yogini Valarie Devi

Dear all,

Recently I have read a newly published book with a very

different outlook on tropic oils and saturated/unsaturated oil debate.

The author goes at great lengths to argue against traditional

opinions with some very detailed axplanations and studies

http://www.amazon.com/Fats-Life-Essential-Health-Disease/dp/081354677X/

(For general outlook of the book the very interesting Preface

can be read at Amazon)

Although I am not conviced as yet to change my eating habits, coming

from a mediterranian country and living

on essentially CR mediterranian diet, with lots of Omega-3's

added, this book raised for me some questions.

From the book it essentially follows that for cooking the best

are saturated tropic oil fats since they do not oxidate

on elevated temperatures, the monounsaturated are somewhere in

the middle and can be used non-heated,

trans-fats are still no-no, and polyunsaturated Omega-3 are best

(but not heated) but polyunsaturated omega-9 and 6 are considered bad only

in excess of some ratio to Omega-3 consumption.

To the author, the most cholesterol comes from processed

fructose and essentially sugars and starches (but not from honey).

I would sincerely like for some opinions from a more informed people

on the list about this line of thinking.

Best regards,

Branimir Cucek,

Zagreb, Croatia

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of citpeks

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:53 PM

Subject: [ ] Re: Coconut Oil

Francesca,

Several months ago, I was intrigued by some of the claims made for coconut oil.

Coconut oil should probably not be used as a dietary fat because it is 92%

saturated fat with 18% myristic acid which strongly increases blood cholesterol

levels. I think that even brushing your teeth and spitting it out you are

likely to get a lot of it in your system.

Web sites like Mercola tout the great health benefits of virgin coconut oil,

but they don't specify usage, dosages, or consequences such as high cholesterol

from regular ingestion. Mercola also has a conflict of interest because he

sells coconut oil (and at about twice the price that you can get it at Whole

Foods).

However, coconut oil is very good as a body lotion because it acts as a

moisturizer and it also has antimicrobial properties against yeasts and fungi.

I did a search and I have posted several references from refereed journals in

the following web page:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blogentries/health-benefits-of-virgin-coconut-oil.html

I have been using coconut oil on my face and feet for about two months. I no

longer have the red rashes on my face that I used to get occasionally. The skin

in my feet has also improved. I don't have the cracked heels, and the stubborn

athlete foot fungus between the toes is completely gone. So, from my personal

experience virgin coconut oil is good as a body lotion, but I am not going to

eat it or cook with it.

Tony

>

> >

> >

> > wrote [[i was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using

virgin

> > coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.]]

> > ** I use organic coconut oil on my skin and to brush my teeth.

> >

> > On my skin, it goes on greasy for just a few moments, then

normalizes, leaving

> > my skin non-greasy and smooth. As a toothpaste I mix it with baking

soda

> > (experimentation finds the right blend for you).

> >

> > As to eating .. rarely. Occasionally, a Live Vegan recipe will call

for it,

> > but for me, its more for flavoring than oil. As such, when I see it

called

> > for in a recipe, I substitute young coconut water or meat with good

results.

> >

> > Yogini Valarie Devi

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

I don't want this oil on my insides, but I had very dry hair at one point a few months ago. (I still haven't diagnosed why I had it.) The upshot was that I used the coconut oil, warmed and in a liquid state, on my hair that I had wet with fairly warm water. I then wrapped my head in a warm towel and sat down to read a good book for 30 minutes. At that time, I washed the hair with 50/50 Balance Shampoo by Giovanni, and voila! my hair has been behaving very well since.I prefer use Castor Oil for a foot, knee and hand rub. It not only makes my skin feel soft and nice, but it does take away most of my arthritis pain. The relief does take some time to come about; it isn't immediate.Ruth P.On Dec 14, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Branimir Cucek wrote: Dear all, Recently I have read a newly published book with a very different outlook on tropic oils and saturated/unsaturated oil debate.The author goes at great lengths to argue against traditional opinions with some very detailed axplanations and studies http://www.amazon.com/Fats-Life-Essential-Health-Disease/dp/081354677X/(For general outlook of the book the very interesting Preface can be read at Amazon) Although I am not conviced as yet to change my eating habits, coming from a mediterranian country and livingon essentially CR mediterranian diet, with lots of Omega-3's added, this book raised for me some questions.From the book it essentially follows that for cooking the best are saturated tropic oil fats since they do not oxidateon elevated temperatures, the monounsaturated are somewhere in the middle and can be used non-heated,trans-fats are still no-no, and polyunsaturated Omega-3 are best (but not heated) but polyunsaturated omega-9 and 6 are considered bad only in excess of some ratio to Omega-3 consumption.To the author, the most cholesterol comes from processed fructose and essentially sugars and starches (but not from honey). I would sincerely like for some opinions from a more informed people on the list about this line of thinking. Best regards, Branimir Cucek,Zagreb, Croatia From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of citpeksSent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:53 PM Subject: [ ] Re: Coconut Oil Francesca,Several months ago, I was intrigued by some of the claims made for coconut oil. Coconut oil should probably not be used as a dietary fat because it is 92% saturated fat with 18% myristic acid which strongly increases blood cholesterol levels. I think that even brushing your teeth and spitting it out you are likely to get a lot of it in your system.Web sites like Mercola tout the great health benefits of virgin coconut oil, but they don't specify usage, dosages, or consequences such as high cholesterol from regular ingestion. Mercola also has a conflict of interest because he sells coconut oil (and at about twice the price that you can get it at Whole Foods).However, coconut oil is very good as a body lotion because it acts as a moisturizer and it also has antimicrobial properties against yeasts and fungi. I did a search and I have posted several references from refereed journals in the following web page:http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blogentries/health-benefits-of-virgin-coconut-oil.htmlI have been using coconut oil on my face and feet for about two months. I no longer have the red rashes on my face that I used to get occasionally. The skin in my feet has also improved. I don't have the cracked heels, and the stubborn athlete foot fungus between the toes is completely gone. So, from my personal experience virgin coconut oil is good as a body lotion, but I am not going to eat it or cook with it.Tony> > > > > > > wrote [[i was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin> > coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.]]> > ** I use organic coconut oil on my skin and to brush my teeth.> > > > On my skin, it goes on greasy for just a few moments, then normalizes, leaving> > my skin non-greasy and smooth. As a toothpaste I mix it with baking soda> > (experimentation finds the right blend for you).> > > > As to eating .. rarely. Occasionally, a Live Vegan recipe will call for it,> > but for me, its more for flavoring than oil. As such, when I see it called> > for in a recipe, I substitute young coconut water or meat with good results.> > > > Yogini Valarie Devi> > > > > > > > > >>