RemedySpot.com

Oregano oil

Rate this topic

Guest guest

North American Herb & Spice Co. says the dosage for treating is three

drops under the tongue three to 4 times a day. OR you can take 3 to 6

capsules of Oregmax three to four times a day. We use both around here.

For babies up to 2 years of age - 1 drop of oil of oregano in food for a

week. For earaches, rub the oil on ear lobe.

The best wild crafted oil of oregano is suppose to be from North

American Herb & Spice 1-800-243-5242. Vitamin Shoppe also sells the

product at a discount which North American will honor too.

Mark Siebert wrote:

>

> From: " Mark Siebert " <mark_siebert@...>

>

> To the group,

>

> Can anybody tell me the correct dosage to take of Oregano Oil?

>

> Regards

>

> Mark Siebert

>

>

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone I just wanted to reply to the lady on OREGANO OIL, I have been takeing it for two yrs. now 2 drops under the toung. I never did get the yeast infections others have but I take my acidophlis regularly I take it for a protection from colds and all infections. I am sure that even though I don't get yeast infections that are bad I must have it as I have been on this treatment for 13 yrs and 9 for acne, I have not had the flu or a cold since I started this oil, but be prepared it tastes really bad and burns for a few seconds. I think this oil is great and I am now used to the taste, like paint thinner, its worth a few min of bad taste, it is also good for sinus. Good luck and try it, wont hurt you. from Ohio

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

try this company. they are good. kathy

<snip>

Hi everyone

Does anyone take Oregano Oil either in drop form or capsule form? I assume it has the same or similar effect as olive leaf extract (which I am not taking) I saw an article on it in 'The Times'. You can find it at -

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,72-125531,00.html http://www.dragonriverherbals.com/

• 3 years later...
Guest guest

>

> Hi Dana,

>

> Thanks for your response. The bad breath has disappeared,

Great!

>>but the

> yeast is still an issue. I have the oregano oil and have a question.

> I've read on your site that GSE can not be used as maintenance. Does

> the same thing apply to oregano oil?

I don't really know.

>>Besides phenol sensitivity what

> should I look for?

It is very strong. Some people report a burning sensation. You might

want to give it in a capsule, be sure the stomach is not empty. Or

use it in food like spaghetti, which will have oregano in it anyway.

Dana

• 6 months later...

I get mine from my health food store. Soloray is the brand we have. I have

taken a pin and squeezed out the oil and rubbed it on the forearm of my son a

few times when I thought yeast was getting the better of him. Thin skin is the

best for topical application of anything. During chelation he will sometimes

just get silly and hyper. I think this helps.

Todd Mizenko <smargus@...> wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations as far as a quality brand of oregano oil and

where to purchase? Practical experience and dosages would also be helpful.

Thanks,

--Todd

=======================================================

It's important to use " therapeutic-grade " essential oils, not synthetic

ones. They need to be organic and distilled properly to have medicinal value.

We

have been using essential oils for everything since 2001. We get them from

_www.youngliving.com_ (http://www.youngliving.com) . You can get a book: " The

Essential Oils Desk Reference " from Essential Science Publishing

(1-800-336-6308). This is a comprehensive guide to the use of essential oils

.... and in my

house it is indispensable. Oregano oil will burn sensitive skin, and should

be applied to the bottom of the feet or diluted with V-6 Mixing Oil (from

Young Living) or an organic olive, grapeseed, or almond oil. Oregano is

antiviral and antiparasitic .... it will help kill candida (yeast).

--- Debby

In a message dated 10/15/2005 10:25:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

lvchefmel@... writes:

I get mine from my health food store. Soloray is the brand we have. I

have taken a pin and squeezed out the oil and rubbed it on the forearm of my

son

a few times when I thought yeast was getting the better of him. Thin skin

is the best for topical application of anything. During chelation he will

sometimes just get silly and hyper. I think this helps.

Thanks,

--Todd

Statements posted on this list are for information only,

and should NOT be taken as medical advice. If you need

medical advice, you should seek it from those who are

authorized to give medical advice: doctors.

Post message:

Subscribe: -subscribe

Unsubscribe: -unsubscribe

Shortcut URL:

Answers to common questions:

/files/Mercury-Autism%20FAQ

Definitely good to know...didn't know this. Thanks, will look at the website

and the book, sounds interesting!

Rabold92@... wrote:

It's important to use " therapeutic-grade " essential oils, not synthetic

ones. They need to be organic and distilled properly to have medicinal value.

We

have been using essential oils for everything since 2001. We get them from

_www.youngliving.com_ (http://www.youngliving.com) . You can get a book: " The

Essential Oils Desk Reference " from Essential Science Publishing

(1-800-336-6308). This is a comprehensive guide to the use of essential oils

.... and in my

house it is indispensable. Oregano oil will burn sensitive skin, and should

be applied to the bottom of the feet or diluted with V-6 Mixing Oil (from

Young Living) or an organic olive, grapeseed, or almond oil. Oregano is

antiviral and antiparasitic .... it will help kill candida (yeast).

--- Debby

In a message dated 10/15/2005 10:25:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

lvchefmel@... writes:

I get mine from my health food store. Soloray is the brand we have. I

have taken a pin and squeezed out the oil and rubbed it on the forearm of my

son

a few times when I thought yeast was getting the better of him. Thin skin

is the best for topical application of anything. During chelation he will

sometimes just get silly and hyper. I think this helps.

Thanks,

--Todd

Statements posted on this list are for information only,

and should NOT be taken as medical advice. If you need

medical advice, you should seek it from those who are

authorized to give medical advice: doctors.

Post message:

Subscribe: -subscribe

Unsubscribe: -unsubscribe

Shortcut URL:

Answers to common questions:

/files/Mercury-Autism%20FAQ

_www.youngliving.com_ (http://www.youngliving.com) carries

therapeutic-grade oregano essential oil. This company produces the highest

quality essential

oils in the United States. We use essential oils topically on location and

bottom of feet, and diffuse into the air for inhalation. Oregano oil is

pretty strong and should be diluted with some V-6 mixing oil or an organic

olive,

almond, or grapeseed oil before applying topically. Oregano essential oil

kills candida, bacteria, and virus's. With children and babies, it is effective

to put a drop into your own hands, rub them together until dry and just pass

your hands over the baby's body without actually touching or applying the oil

to the skin. The molecules of essential oils are small enough to penetrate

the skin, and also to cross the blood-brain barrier and be carried all over

the body for therapeutic value.

In a message dated 10/15/2005 10:05:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

smargus@... writes:

Thanks,

--Todd

------------------------

The oil of oregano for oral dosing in capsules is bright green, is the topical

version clear?

S S

<tt>

<BR>

_www.youngliving.com_ (<a

href= " http://www.youngliving.com) " >http://www.youngliving.com)</a>  carries 

<BR>

therapeutic-grade oregano essential oil.  This company produces the highest 

quality essential <BR>

oils in the United States.  We use essential oils  topically on location and

<BR>

bottom of feet, and diffuse into the air for  inhalation. Oregano oil is <BR>

pretty strong and should be diluted with some V-6  mixing oil or an organic

olive, <BR>

almond, or grapeseed oil before applying  topically. Oregano essential oil <BR>

kills candida, bacteria, and virus's. With  children and babies, it is effective

<BR>

to put a drop into your own hands, rub them  together until dry and just pass

<BR>

your hands over the baby's body without  actually touching or applying the oil

<BR>

to the skin. The molecules of essential  oils are small enough to penetrate <BR>

the skin, and also to cross the blood-brain  barrier and be carried all over

<BR>

the body for therapeutic value. <BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

In a message dated 10/15/2005 10:05:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  <BR>

smargus@... writes:<BR>

<BR>

Anyone  have any recommendations as far as a quality brand of oregano oil

and<BR>

where  to purchase?  Practical experience and dosages would also be 

helpful.<BR>

<BR>

Thanks,<BR>

<BR>

--Todd<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

------------------------ 

• 2 years later...

Oregano Oil

Of all the herbal plants that have been studied to date, the oregano plant has proved to be one of the most powerful and effective natural antibiotics available to us. For many this comes as a surprise: Oregano? The spice? Yes, oregano, but it is not the species that is commercially grown for culinary purposes. There are over 40 species of oregano plant that exist around the world, but only a few less common types have been shown to possess powerful antimicrobial properties. What distinguishes these plants from the rest is their phytochemistry: they possess significantly higher levels of carvacrol, which is the primary active compound responsible for oregano's growing reputation as an antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antiparasitic. The best known of these species is the origanum vulgare, which has been used repeatedly in scientific studies confirming the germ-fighting powers of oregano. There are several species of origanum vulgare, and of

particular interest is the subspecies hirtum, which is now becoming known for its exceptionally high levels of carvacrol (70 %+). Hirtum is considered by many to be the "true" medicinal oregano, having an ancient reputation for its powerful healing abilities. Described as a creeping rhizomatous perennial, it is distinguishable from other origanum species by its white flowers, rich supply of essential oil, and exceptionally strong and pungent flavour. Together, hirtum and other varieties of origanum are still growing wild on the hillsides and mountainous regions of the Mediterranean, and are generically referred to as "Wild Mediterranean Oregano".

Wild Mediterranean oregano became better known in 1996, with the introduction of North American Herb & Spice Company's "Oil of Oregano". Owner of the company, Dr. Cass Ingram is a strong advocate of these plants and is well known for his scientific contributions to the biomedical literature. In his book entitled, The Cure is in The Cupboard: How to use Oregano for Better Health, he makes strong claims about the benefits of medicinal oregano, which has caught the attention of the academic community and the general, public. Dr. Ingram makes it clear that most essential oils derived from herbal plants are not safe for internal use, but the essential oil of wild, mountain-grown Mediterranean oregano is an exception. He explains that oregano, along with other edible herbs and spices such as garlic, cinnamon, onion, and mint are food grade herbs, and as such, their concentrated essential oils are much less toxic to the human body than those

derived from inedible plants. However, because the phytochemical composition of oregano varies from species to species, Dr. Ingram stresses that to be edible, oregano essential oil must be made from only the wild, mountain-grown varieties of the Mediterranean. These oregano species have low, negligible levels of thymol (less than 2%), which is an antimicrobial compound with known toxicity. In comparison, the essential oil sold for aromatherapy purposes is sometimes Thymus Capitatus (Spanish Oregano), which contains high concentrations of thymol that are toxic to internal organs if ingested. Unfortunately, some people are making the dangerous mistake of ingesting this oil, thinking it is the same essential oil found in oil of oregano products.

Some discerning consumers still question the safety of ingesting oil of oregano and essential oils of any sort. This is because standard aromatherapy practice advises that it is best to use essential oils as external remedies only. However, aromatherapists do recognize that there are exceptions, if the oils are used correctly and diluted safely. Following is a general guideline:

Many essential oils contain high levels of naturally-occurring toxic constituents (i.e. tea tree oil is a fabulous antimicrobial, but is extremely toxic to the human body if ingested, even in small amounts). Some commercially available essential oils are not pure. They have been synthetically adulterated and may contain additives that are toxic if ingested. Finally, even pure unadulterated essential oils, when in undiluted form, are highly concentrated and may irritate or damage mucous membranes. To be ingested safely they must first be blended with a carrier such as olive oil.

Further, conflicting information is found in some herbal and aromatherapy texts that advise against using the essential oil from origanum vulgare altogether, due to its strength and potential to irritate the skin. However, this is referring to the undiluted essential oil. Certainly in undiluted form the essential oils of origanum vulgare and other species would irritate and cause discomfort even when applied externally. This is why oil of oregano comes diluted. By emulsifying oregano essential oil in a carrying agent such as extra virgin olive oil (or hemp seed oil), it becomes gentler to the skin and mucous membranes; even to the delicate lining of the digestive tract. In fact, oregano actually works to relieve spastic and inflamed tissue of the digestive tract lining, with its antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.

The phytochemistry of herbal plants (and all botanicals) is quite complex and the oregano plant is no exception. Origanum vulgare and other wild species of the Mediterranean have been analyzed and are shown to possess over a hundred compounds, some of which are unidentifiable. Each of these compounds has a unique purpose, working synergistically with the others to ensure the well being and survival of the plant. It is interesting to note that no two plants have identical phytochemistry. The phytochemical composition and potency of any one oregano plant is the product of various factors, such as species type, climate, growing altitude, soil conditions, plant genetics and weather. In general, wild Mediterranean oregano is known for its higher levels of carvacrol and safe levels of thymol, but it is important to recognize that there is variability even among these plants. For instance, carvacrol levels can vary from 20% - 85% of essential oil content,

depending on plant type and growing altitude. It is worth noting that "Wild Mediterranean" oil of oregano products also vary in carvacrol potency.

Carvacrol is the primary active compound responsible for oregano's antimicrobial strength and effectiveness; and essential oils containing higher concentrations of this phenolic compound have been shown to be more effective in destroying pathogens and healing infectious disease.

Thymol is another phenolic compound that has been shown in laboratory studies to work synergistically with carvacrol to boost its effectiveness. Even at low concentrations, thymol contributes significantly to oregano's overall effects.

Phenolic compounds or "phenols" are remarkable antimicrobial compounds that are rarely found as main components within essential oils. Only a few plants are known to have a high phenolic content, notably oregano, thyme, ajowan and summer and mountain savory. Like other plant-derived phenols, carvacrol and thymol destroy pathogenic microorganisms by disintegrating their cell wall and have proven significantly more effective (and safer) than synthetic phenol, which is a well known antiseptic. According to Dr. Kurt Schaubelt, French-trained medical aromatherapist and founder of the Pacific Institute of Aromatherapy, carvacrol and thymol are "a perfect example of the advantages natural substances hold over synthetic ones". In addition to these phenols, oregano essential oils consist of numerous terpene hydrocarbons, long-chain alcohols and esters, all of which contribute to oregano's antimicrobial strength and complexity. Dr. Schaubelt advises: "When it

comes to combating bacterial infections, oregano is aromatherapy's heavy artillery".

Research Highlights

In the past five years or so, there have been many scientific studies from around the world investigating the antimicrobial effects of oregano essential oil and the results are remarkable. Most of these tests have been conducted in a laboratory setting typical of most research into plant medicines at this time. In the future, more clinical trials are expected. Here are some of the research highlights:

In many laboratory studies, essential oils from numerous herbal plants have been repeatedly tested against pathogenic microorganisms common to human illness and disease. In virtually every test, oregano essential oil outperformed all other herbal essential oils, inhibiting all pathogens at minimal concentrations. In a recent study performed at town University by Dr. Ingram and associates, oregano oil was tested in vitro against Staphylococcus bacteria and compared with the effects of the following antibiotics: Streptomycin, Penicillin and Vancomycin. At relatively low concentrations, oregano oil was found to inhibit the growth of Staphylococcus as effectively as the antibiotics. Note: Staphylococcus is particularly known for its increasing resistance to antibiotics. In a study published in Medical Science Research, oregano oil destroyed RNA and DNA viruses, including the types causing shingles, cold sore and genital herpes. Two clinical human trials, as of Oct. 2002, confirmed the effectiveness of oregano oil against intestinal parasites, including: Blastocystis hominis, Entamoeba hartmanni, and Endolimax nana. In his book, The Practice of Aromatherapy, Dr. Valnet documents how spices and their essential oils are powerful parasite killers. In one study, he took sewage water and tested several essential oils against it. Essential oils of oregano, clove, thyme and cinnamon sterilized the sewage at low concentrations. Valnet's work was confirmed by Greek researchers in 1995 who used oregano essential oil to sterilize septic water in a dilution of 1/4000. In 1977, Belaiche published his three-volume study entitled Treatise on Phytotherapy and Aromatherapy, which investigated the effectiveness of essential oils in treating a wide range of conditions. In thousands of tests, he used the aromatogram to determine which essential oils have the strongest antibacterial effect against pathogens specific to a particular patient. In his published results, Belaiche provides tables that list the degree of effectiveness of 40 essential oils against the pathogens occurring most frequently in common infectious diseases. The results: oregano essential oil was by far the most powerful and the widest spectrum antimicrobial of all 40 essential oils tested. The effectiveness of oregano was not only observed in laboratory tests; Belaiche also clinically treated numerous infectious illnesses with oregano, among them: chronic and acute bronchitis, colds, sinus infections, bladder infections and skin infections.

He reports: "The essential oil of oregano has always provided me with amazing results in treating infectious diseases. Besides oregano oil's bactericidal action, it also prevents spasms, convulsions and nervous disorders. In my estimation, the antispasmodic qualities help to synergize its wonderful antiseptic powers, which comforts me every time I prescribe it for my patients."

The Oregano Solution

Since its introduction to the North American market, news about oil of oregano has spread. An increasing number of studies have provided further proof of oregano's tremendous antimicrobial strength and effectiveness, and personal success stories have contributed to rising public interest. Many naturopathic doctors and herbalists are now successfully treating a variety of infection-related conditions with medicinal oregano (dried leaves and distilled oil). Its ability to kill bacteria as well as fungi, viruses and parasites makes it a very useful and versatile remedy. In fact, when you consider how prevalent these types of infections are today—and that modern drugs are frequently proving ineffective and dangerous—it appears that oil of oregano is an answer to the global health concern: How do we treat infection now and in the future?

According to Dr. Ingram, infections play a much larger role in public health than we recognize and medical doctors frequently overlook infection as the underlying cause of illness or disease. For example, a variety of diseases such as arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, eczema, sinusitis, peptic ulcer, cancer, fibromyalgia and gastritis are frequently caused by chronic infections that are overlooked and never treated. When infection is identified, in the case of a flu or wart, doctors have little to offer except antibiotics or anti-fungal drugs that are known for their toxic effects on the body and have no guarantee of working. This is why oil of oregano has been so well received. It is safe and it is effective. It eradicates all types of infections found in the human system; from the ones you know about to the ones you don't. And, because it's not patented, you don't need a prescription; it can be

self-administered whenever an infection is suspected or taken as a preventative to stop infections from arising.

Other Benefits of Oregano

In addition to being a superior, full spectrum antibiotic (antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiparasitic), oregano's phytochemistry also gives rise to many other actions and uses. Scientific studies and human experience has confirmed that oregano is an excellent anti-inflammatory, analgesic (relieves pain), antispasmodic, antioxidant, expectorant, antitussive (relieves coughing), febrifuge (combats fever), anti-rheumatic, carminative (settles the digestive system), vulnerary (heals wounds & sores), antitoxic (counteracts the effects of poison), choleretic (promotes bile excretion), and may increase white blood cell activity.

* The information on this web page comes primarily from literature supplied by the Joy of the Mountains Company, based in British Columbia's Okanogan. Their products are available in health food stores. You can contact them at:Box 1058 Lumby, BC V0E 2G0 Canada

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.