RemedySpot.com

vitamix and spaghetti sauce

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

So once again my vitamix came in so handy... We are having a Spaghetti party this weekend for 20 people, and I am taxed to make the sauce and meatballs.  I started with a 1 gallon can of tomato sauce, about 24 good sized tomatoes (mixed varieties) and a 1 gallon can of crushed tomatoes.  Not giving amounts, since most people wont make this for 20

saute some chopped onion in olive oil till translucent (the browner you let them get, the sweeter the sauce),add some chopped garlic for a few minutes until fragrant,Add the tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes,

chop the fresh tomatoes and liquify in the vitamix (skins and all)add to the mix.while all that is cooking, get some fresh herbs, basil, parsley, thyme (you can use dry if you dont have fresh) and oregano. 

add some water to vitamix and fresh herbs, run until chopped (not completely pulverized) then add to sauce.salt and pepper to taste, and cook down for a few hours. be careful with salt, as you cook it down, the sauce will reduce, go light on salt in the beginning, you can always add more near the end.

(I also chop some sundried tomato's in olive oil with the VM, I use it to thicken it instead of tomato paste)sauce comes out wonderful!  and beats any jar sauce hands down!  Ive done it all with fresh tomatoes before, but you have to cook a really long time, mixing a bit of canned goods with fresh speeds things up and doesn't affect the taste in my opinion. 

nice thing is that its all low cal, since everything is natural, the sweetness of the cooked down onions adds just enough sweetness, I guess the worst thing for you is whatever salt you add to it.... and of course the meatballs. 

Some people add carrots as well, I never have just because this is how we have always done it when growing up... but feel free to.