RemedySpot.com

FW: FNP and HV roles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Apologies for cross posting - but would really like to find some like minded bods regarding the FNP role. See message below.

From: Whittaker [mailto:kwhittaker1@...] Sent: 10 January 2008 10:42Interest GroupSubject: FNP and HV roles

I wonder did anyone else go to one of the two presentations this week about the Family Nurse Practitioner pilot. I was at the Manchester one yesterday and whilst I came away feeling enthused about this exciting role, I simultaneously felt quite sad about what was muted about health visiting.

I asked about training in the future for these new roles and whether if as nurses it would be expected that they would sit on the third part of the register. The response was for a preference not to be.

I suggested might it be an opportunity for developing, say a 3-4 year, direct entry programme for this nurse and the response was well that's a interesting idea and yes possibly.

When another question was asked about what will happen to the families when the child is two and the FNP service ceases - will the family go under the wing of the generic HV service? The answer was well we don't even know whether we will have a HV service of that nature by the time these children are 2yrs (in about 18mths time).

The FNP programme of course is dedicated to the title nurse - one of the key presented opened with saying this is not about titles, but I noted that reference throughout the day by the central team was to nurses' skills and what nurses can offer and little if any reference to skills brought from existing health visiting base.

I'd be interested to hear any other experiences from these days. Are any of you in this group working as FNP?

WhittakerSenior Lecturer Dept of NursingRoom 432 Brook BuildingUniversity of Central LancashirePreston PR1 2HE

Tel: 01772 893786Kwhittaker1@...http://www.uclan.ac.uk/facs/health/nursing/research/groups/children/index.htm

Any representations, views and/or opinions in this e-mail are those of the sender, and not necessarily of the University. The University's computer network (including its e-mail facility) is intended for educational purposes, and the University accepts no liability for, and shall not be bound by, the contents of any e-mail sent from its network which do not relate to those purposes or other business of the University. This e-mail is confidential to and for the sole use of its addressee(s). If you should not have received it, please notify the sender and permanently delete it: you may not print, copy, disclose, distribute or rely on it, or any part of it.E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free and the University does not accept liability for any errors in or amendments to the contents of this message which arise in consequence of its transmission by e-mail.

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 12/01/2008 14:04