RemedySpot.com

BCC

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all...am hoping that you can help!

I am a student health visitor coming towards the end of my training (although we

still have so much uni work to do, it's difficult to see how close to the end we

all are!)

I've heard the term 'building community capacity' but struggling to find out

about it - can anyone help?? I (as have all of my student colleagues) an

interview coming up and I need to do a 10 minute presentation on it and how I

plan to deliver it. I understand its part of the health visiting " Call for

Action " , and we are having a couple of taught sessions on it, but unfortunately

weeks after my interview! Very frustrating!

I look forward to any help you can give!

Angie

Guest guest

I would agree , I think HVs have been doing this for many years as part of their role. Unfortunatly, however due to costs and limited resourses many do not have the time to take on this role anymore.

I think over the years people have stopped thinking for themselves as so much has been done for them, it is therefore up to us to re educate and facilitate them to start to take some control over lifes events.( and their health of course)

Pat

From: Coles <lisa@...> Sent: Saturday, 30 June 2012, 18:27Subject: RE: BCC

Can’t help remembering helping local mothers start and get training for running their own mother and toddler group all those years ago – is this not just another name for something health visitors have always done?

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of liz.plastow@...Sent: 30 June 2012 17:45SENATESubject: Re: BCC

and have sent you some excellent papers to read. It may help to understand within the context of the Offer. This level is about enabling HV's to use their public health skills to work with communities to address needs identified by the community themselves. Its Camerons Big Society and the idea is HV's would facilitate an activity to improve health and well being in the community (does not have to be under 5yrs). The HV can then back off and the activity is sustained in the community by the group it was set up with. Each BCC is meant to additionally address the strategic objectives of the organisation ( so worth looking these up!) But at same time be community driven, projects don't have to be huge it may just be establishing some support for isolated groups in the community, starting a toy library with a few mums who know each other. The crucial thing is they do it you facilitate and that helps to remove all the red tape that surrounds

the NHS!Good Luck, I am sure you will be a star!Liz

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Sender:

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 13:51:24 -0000

< >

Subject: BCC

Hi all...am hoping that you can help!I am a student health visitor coming towards the end of my training (although we still have so much uni work to do, it's difficult to see how close to the end we all are!) I've heard the term 'building community capacity' but struggling to find out about it - can anyone help?? I (as have all of my student colleagues) an interview coming up and I need to do a 10 minute presentation on it and how I plan to deliver it. I understand its part of the health visiting "Call for Action", and we are having a couple of taught sessions on it, but unfortunately weeks after my interview! Very frustrating!I look forward to any help you can give!Angie

Guest guest

Well that is another matter no resources go with this HV's expected to find

resource or apply for funding!

Liz

- Re:

BCC

and have sent you some excellent papers to read. It may help to

understand within the context of the Offer. This level is about enabling HV's to

use their public health skills to work with communities to address needs

identified by the community themselves. Its Camerons Big Society and the idea is

HV's would facilitate an activity to improve health and well being in the

community (does not have to b

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange