RemedySpot.com

Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Good morning , thanks for trying.Your communications department's point about the word 'catastrophic' is well made, but I am disappointed that they think only authoritative sources should be raising petitions - I thought the whole point of these e-petitions was to expand democracy and make it simple for 'ordinary' individuals to get involved.Emma Ballentyne is an enthusiastic health visitor student. Of course she could learn about the wording of petitions and about disseminating them from the experts, so your advice is helpful, but I am delighted that we have such a calibre of person coming into the profession. I have to say, my first attempt to log in failed and I had forgotten about it, so thank you for reminding me anyway - I have now signed it!kindest regardsOn 6 Jun 2012, at 10:53, Duff wrote: I’m sorry to sound critical but when I forwarded this to NCT colleagues in marketing/communications, the response – broadly - was: · Who is Emma Ballentyne?· Describing the loss of the book as ‘catastrophic’ is over-dramatic – wording that is calmer and more parent-centred would be preferred by NCT· Support from NCT’s 100,000+ members would more likely be forthcoming if the petition were to come visibly from an authoritative organisation such as CPHVA/Unite. If this petition as it appears in the link (BTW, the hyperlink worked first time for me, contrary to advice below) is the final version, I’m sorry to say it seems unlikely that I can persuade NCT to support, as I’d have liked to do. DuffSenior Policy AdviserNCT From: pafsinterestgroup [mailto:pafsinterestgroup ] On Behalf Of Bidmead Sent: 31 May 2012 20:01 Interest Group Subject: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Pleas sign the petition below if you want to see the 0-5 book for parents retained. best wishes, Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Thanks for all the comments everyone - surprisingly quick but approval was this morning so here is the link!!http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517 (you will need to copy and paste the url as the hyperlink won't work- once on the page you can share via twitter or facebook if you like)Please share with as many people as you think will sign as with 100,000 votes (ambitious I know) it gets debated in the House of Commons!!Emma x __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7182 (20120530) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Hi I want to agree with and although I understand the sentiments you share – we would not have health visiting and health visitors if individuals had not been passionate about something and chained themselves to railings. Over the last 15 years or so we have lost that passion in health visiting that many of us worked hard to ignite and it is so good to see students like Emma coming into the profession and wanting to make a difference and actually not worrying if they do not always obey the rules. I was like that 40 years ago as a newly qualified health visitor and frequently got into trouble because I could not accept the status quo but I hope I used that passion I had to make a difference. Now older and wiser I can probably use it more constructively but if the learning from the Hv and Sn leadership course we are running across SHAs is anything to go by – we so desperately need the passion and also to help people like Emma know how to use it in the best way. We can see our course is beginning to do that but so many are deprived of the information and tools needed to even work constructively within the Principles of Health Visiting. I can see we have a new breed of health visitor emerging and that can only be good for children, young people and their families. Margaret Buttigieg From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 06 June 2012 11:09 AMpafsinterestgroup Cc: Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Good morning , thanks for trying.Your communications department's point about the word 'catastrophic' is well made, but I am disappointed that they think only authoritative sources should be raising petitions - I thought the whole point of these e-petitions was to expand democracy and make it simple for 'ordinary' individuals to get involved. Emma Ballentyne is an enthusiastic health visitor student. Of course she could learn about the wording of petitions and about disseminating them from the experts, so your advice is helpful, but I am delighted that we have such a calibre of person coming into the profession. I have to say, my first attempt to log in failed and I had forgotten about it, so thank you for reminding me anyway - I have now signed it! kindest regards On 6 Jun 2012, at 10:53, Duff wrote: I’m sorry to sound critical but when I forwarded this to NCT colleagues in marketing/communications, the response – broadly - was: · Who is Emma Ballentyne?· Describing the loss of the book as ‘catastrophic’ is over-dramatic – wording that is calmer and more parent-centred would be preferred by NCT· Support from NCT’s 100,000+ members would more likely be forthcoming if the petition were to come visibly from an authoritative organisation such as CPHVA/Unite. If this petition as it appears in the link (BTW, the hyperlink worked first time for me, contrary to advice below) is the final version, I’m sorry to say it seems unlikely that I can persuade NCT to support, as I’d have liked to do. DuffSenior Policy AdviserNCT From: pafsinterestgroup [mailto:pafsinterestgroup ] On Behalf Of BidmeadSent: 31 May 2012 20:01Interest GroupSubject: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Pleas sign the petition below if you want to see the 0-5 book for parents retained. best wishes, Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Thanks for all the comments everyone - surprisingly quick but approval was this morning so here is the link!!http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517 (you will need to copy and paste the url as the hyperlink won't work- once on the page you can share via twitter or facebook if you like)Please share with as many people as you think will sign as with 100,000 votes (ambitious I know) it gets debated in the House of Commons!!Emma x__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7182 (20120530) __________The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.http://www.eset.com Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Hi I want to agree with and although I understand the sentiments you share – we would not have health visiting and health visitors if individuals had not been passionate about something and chained themselves to railings. Over the last 15 years or so we have lost that passion in health visiting that many of us worked hard to ignite and it is so good to see students like Emma coming into the profession and wanting to make a difference and actually not worrying if they do not always obey the rules. I was like that 40 years ago as a newly qualified health visitor and frequently got into trouble because I could not accept the status quo but I hope I used that passion I had to make a difference. Now older and wiser I can probably use it more constructively but if the learning from the Hv and Sn leadership course we are running across SHAs is anything to go by – we so desperately need the passion and also to help people like Emma know how to use it in the best way. We can see our course is beginning to do that but so many are deprived of the information and tools needed to even work constructively within the Principles of Health Visiting. I can see we have a new breed of health visitor emerging and that can only be good for children, young people and their families. Margaret Buttigieg From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 06 June 2012 11:09 AMpafsinterestgroup Cc: Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Good morning , thanks for trying.Your communications department's point about the word 'catastrophic' is well made, but I am disappointed that they think only authoritative sources should be raising petitions - I thought the whole point of these e-petitions was to expand democracy and make it simple for 'ordinary' individuals to get involved. Emma Ballentyne is an enthusiastic health visitor student. Of course she could learn about the wording of petitions and about disseminating them from the experts, so your advice is helpful, but I am delighted that we have such a calibre of person coming into the profession. I have to say, my first attempt to log in failed and I had forgotten about it, so thank you for reminding me anyway - I have now signed it! kindest regards On 6 Jun 2012, at 10:53, Duff wrote: I’m sorry to sound critical but when I forwarded this to NCT colleagues in marketing/communications, the response – broadly - was: · Who is Emma Ballentyne?· Describing the loss of the book as ‘catastrophic’ is over-dramatic – wording that is calmer and more parent-centred would be preferred by NCT· Support from NCT’s 100,000+ members would more likely be forthcoming if the petition were to come visibly from an authoritative organisation such as CPHVA/Unite. If this petition as it appears in the link (BTW, the hyperlink worked first time for me, contrary to advice below) is the final version, I’m sorry to say it seems unlikely that I can persuade NCT to support, as I’d have liked to do. DuffSenior Policy AdviserNCT From: pafsinterestgroup [mailto:pafsinterestgroup ] On Behalf Of BidmeadSent: 31 May 2012 20:01Interest GroupSubject: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Pleas sign the petition below if you want to see the 0-5 book for parents retained. best wishes, Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Thanks for all the comments everyone - surprisingly quick but approval was this morning so here is the link!!http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517 (you will need to copy and paste the url as the hyperlink won't work- once on the page you can share via twitter or facebook if you like)Please share with as many people as you think will sign as with 100,000 votes (ambitious I know) it gets debated in the House of Commons!!Emma x__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7182 (20120530) __________The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.http://www.eset.com Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Dear I am shocked at the NCT's response. Have they not understood what the petition is about? By not supporting this how do the NCT think that they are representing their members? I had a huge response when I posted this petition on face book and sent it around to my e mail contacts, many mums commented back that they still use the birth to five book for their toddlers and young children and withdrawing it will be terrible for families.It is a really valuable parenting tool. I completely agree with 's comments, well done Emma Ballentyne for such a brilliant petition. It is good that it has come from a worker in this area and not an organisation! Best Wishes From: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...> pafsinterestgroup Cc: Sent: Wednesday, 6 June 2012, 11:09 Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link

Good morning , thanks for trying.Your communications department's point about the word 'catastrophic' is well made, but I am disappointed that they think only authoritative sources should be raising petitions - I thought the whole point of these e-petitions was to expand democracy and make it simple for 'ordinary' individuals to get involved.Emma Ballentyne is an enthusiastic health visitor student. Of course she could learn about the wording of petitions and about disseminating them from the experts, so your advice is helpful, but I am delighted that we have such a calibre of person coming into the profession. I have to say, my first attempt to log in failed and I had forgotten about it, so thank you for reminding me anyway - I have now signed it!kindest

regardsOn 6 Jun 2012, at 10:53, Duff wrote: I’m sorry to sound critical but when I forwarded this to NCT colleagues in marketing/communications, the response – broadly - was: · Who is Emma Ballentyne?· Describing the loss of the book as ‘catastrophic’ is over-dramatic – wording that is calmer and more parent-centred would be preferred by NCT· Support from NCT’s 100,000+ members would more likely be forthcoming if the petition were to come visibly from an authoritative organisation such as CPHVA/Unite. If this petition as it appears in the link (BTW, the hyperlink worked first time for me, contrary to advice below) is the final version, I’m sorry to say it seems unlikely that I can persuade NCT to support, as I’d have liked to do. DuffSenior Policy AdviserNCT From:

pafsinterestgroup [mailto:pafsinterestgroup ] On Behalf Of Bidmead Sent: 31 May 2012 20:01 Interest Group Subject: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Pleas sign the petition below if you want to see the 0-5 book for parents retained.

best wishes, Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Thanks for all the comments everyone - surprisingly quick but approval was this morning so here is the link!!http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517 (you will need to copy and paste the url as the hyperlink won't work- once on the page you can share via twitter or facebook if you like)Please share with as many people as you think will sign as with 100,000 votes (ambitious I know) it gets debated in the House of Commons!!Emma x __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7182 (20120530) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Dear I am shocked at the NCT's response. Have they not understood what the petition is about? By not supporting this how do the NCT think that they are representing their members? I had a huge response when I posted this petition on face book and sent it around to my e mail contacts, many mums commented back that they still use the birth to five book for their toddlers and young children and withdrawing it will be terrible for families.It is a really valuable parenting tool. I completely agree with 's comments, well done Emma Ballentyne for such a brilliant petition. It is good that it has come from a worker in this area and not an organisation! Best Wishes From: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...> pafsinterestgroup Cc: Sent: Wednesday, 6 June 2012, 11:09 Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link

Good morning , thanks for trying.Your communications department's point about the word 'catastrophic' is well made, but I am disappointed that they think only authoritative sources should be raising petitions - I thought the whole point of these e-petitions was to expand democracy and make it simple for 'ordinary' individuals to get involved.Emma Ballentyne is an enthusiastic health visitor student. Of course she could learn about the wording of petitions and about disseminating them from the experts, so your advice is helpful, but I am delighted that we have such a calibre of person coming into the profession. I have to say, my first attempt to log in failed and I had forgotten about it, so thank you for reminding me anyway - I have now signed it!kindest

regardsOn 6 Jun 2012, at 10:53, Duff wrote: I’m sorry to sound critical but when I forwarded this to NCT colleagues in marketing/communications, the response – broadly - was: · Who is Emma Ballentyne?· Describing the loss of the book as ‘catastrophic’ is over-dramatic – wording that is calmer and more parent-centred would be preferred by NCT· Support from NCT’s 100,000+ members would more likely be forthcoming if the petition were to come visibly from an authoritative organisation such as CPHVA/Unite. If this petition as it appears in the link (BTW, the hyperlink worked first time for me, contrary to advice below) is the final version, I’m sorry to say it seems unlikely that I can persuade NCT to support, as I’d have liked to do. DuffSenior Policy AdviserNCT From:

pafsinterestgroup [mailto:pafsinterestgroup ] On Behalf Of Bidmead Sent: 31 May 2012 20:01 Interest Group Subject: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Pleas sign the petition below if you want to see the 0-5 book for parents retained.

best wishes, Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Thanks for all the comments everyone - surprisingly quick but approval was this morning so here is the link!!http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517 (you will need to copy and paste the url as the hyperlink won't work- once on the page you can share via twitter or facebook if you like)Please share with as many people as you think will sign as with 100,000 votes (ambitious I know) it gets debated in the House of Commons!!Emma x __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7182 (20120530) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

The NCT response is disappointing, but unsurprising.  Sadly the people who are members of the NCT probably have far less need of the Birth-to-five than families we health visitors meet who have little in the way of public health resources for their families. I believe it is these families that Emma, as a soon-to-be health visitor, has met in practice, and feels quite passionate that she wants the government to provide something back to them that was invaluable! The word “catastrophic†is an emotive word, and perhaps not to the taste of the NCT.  However,  I think its removal to some families, is indeed that!  It provided a life-line to those who had very little accessible health advice from other sources.Well done Emma for trying to give them a voice!Pam From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of SARAH HUGHESSent: 06 June 2012 11:40 Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Dear I am shocked at the NCT's response. Have they not understood what the petition is about? By not supporting this how do the NCT think that they are representing their members? I had a huge response when I posted this petition on face book and sent it around to my e mail contacts, many mums commented back that they still use the birth to five book for their toddlers and young children and withdrawing it will be terrible for families.It is a really valuable parenting tool. I completely agree with 's comments, well done Emma Ballentyne for such a brilliant petition. It is good that it has come from a worker in this area and not an organisation! Best Wishes From: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>pafsinterestgroup Cc: Sent: Wednesday, 6 June 2012, 11:09Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Good morning , thanks for trying.Your communications department's point about the word 'catastrophic' is well made, but I am disappointed that they think only authoritative sources should be raising petitions - I thought the whole point of these e-petitions was to expand democracy and make it simple for 'ordinary' individuals to get involved. Emma Ballentyne is an enthusiastic health visitor student. Of course she could learn about the wording of petitions and about disseminating them from the experts, so your advice is helpful, but I am delighted that we have such a calibre of person coming into the profession. I have to say, my first attempt to log in failed and I had forgotten about it, so thank you for reminding me anyway - I have now signed it! kindest regards On 6 Jun 2012, at 10:53, Duff wrote: I’m sorry to sound critical but when I forwarded this to NCT colleagues in marketing/communications, the response – broadly - was: · Who is Emma Ballentyne?· Describing the loss of the book as ‘catastrophic’ is over-dramatic – wording that is calmer and more parent-centred would be preferred by NCT· Support from NCT’s 100,000+ members would more likely be forthcoming if the petition were to come visibly from an authoritative organisation such as CPHVA/Unite. If this petition as it appears in the link (BTW, the hyperlink worked first time for me, contrary to advice below) is the final version, I’m sorry to say it seems unlikely that I can persuade NCT to support, as I’d have liked to do. DuffSenior Policy AdviserNCT From: pafsinterestgroup [mailto:pafsinterestgroup ] On Behalf Of BidmeadSent: 31 May 2012 20:01Interest GroupSubject: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Pleas sign the petition below if you want to see the 0-5 book for parents retained. best wishes, Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Thanks for all the comments everyone - surprisingly quick but approval was this morning so here is the link!!http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517 (you will need to copy and paste the url as the hyperlink won't work- once on the page you can share via twitter or facebook if you like)Please share with as many people as you think will sign as with 100,000 votes (ambitious I know) it gets debated in the House of Commons!!Emma x__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7182 (20120530) __________The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.http://www.eset.com Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

The NCT response is disappointing, but unsurprising.  Sadly the people who are members of the NCT probably have far less need of the Birth-to-five than families we health visitors meet who have little in the way of public health resources for their families. I believe it is these families that Emma, as a soon-to-be health visitor, has met in practice, and feels quite passionate that she wants the government to provide something back to them that was invaluable! The word “catastrophic†is an emotive word, and perhaps not to the taste of the NCT.  However,  I think its removal to some families, is indeed that!  It provided a life-line to those who had very little accessible health advice from other sources.Well done Emma for trying to give them a voice!Pam From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of SARAH HUGHESSent: 06 June 2012 11:40 Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Dear I am shocked at the NCT's response. Have they not understood what the petition is about? By not supporting this how do the NCT think that they are representing their members? I had a huge response when I posted this petition on face book and sent it around to my e mail contacts, many mums commented back that they still use the birth to five book for their toddlers and young children and withdrawing it will be terrible for families.It is a really valuable parenting tool. I completely agree with 's comments, well done Emma Ballentyne for such a brilliant petition. It is good that it has come from a worker in this area and not an organisation! Best Wishes From: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>pafsinterestgroup Cc: Sent: Wednesday, 6 June 2012, 11:09Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Good morning , thanks for trying.Your communications department's point about the word 'catastrophic' is well made, but I am disappointed that they think only authoritative sources should be raising petitions - I thought the whole point of these e-petitions was to expand democracy and make it simple for 'ordinary' individuals to get involved. Emma Ballentyne is an enthusiastic health visitor student. Of course she could learn about the wording of petitions and about disseminating them from the experts, so your advice is helpful, but I am delighted that we have such a calibre of person coming into the profession. I have to say, my first attempt to log in failed and I had forgotten about it, so thank you for reminding me anyway - I have now signed it! kindest regards On 6 Jun 2012, at 10:53, Duff wrote: I’m sorry to sound critical but when I forwarded this to NCT colleagues in marketing/communications, the response – broadly - was: · Who is Emma Ballentyne?· Describing the loss of the book as ‘catastrophic’ is over-dramatic – wording that is calmer and more parent-centred would be preferred by NCT· Support from NCT’s 100,000+ members would more likely be forthcoming if the petition were to come visibly from an authoritative organisation such as CPHVA/Unite. If this petition as it appears in the link (BTW, the hyperlink worked first time for me, contrary to advice below) is the final version, I’m sorry to say it seems unlikely that I can persuade NCT to support, as I’d have liked to do. DuffSenior Policy AdviserNCT From: pafsinterestgroup [mailto:pafsinterestgroup ] On Behalf Of BidmeadSent: 31 May 2012 20:01Interest GroupSubject: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Pleas sign the petition below if you want to see the 0-5 book for parents retained. best wishes, Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Thanks for all the comments everyone - surprisingly quick but approval was this morning so here is the link!!http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517 (you will need to copy and paste the url as the hyperlink won't work- once on the page you can share via twitter or facebook if you like)Please share with as many people as you think will sign as with 100,000 votes (ambitious I know) it gets debated in the House of Commons!!Emma x__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7182 (20120530) __________The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.http://www.eset.com Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Having been involved with the NCT in the past I find this extremely

disappointing. The NCT is all for making good links with midwifes & HV's and we

(NCT antenatal students) were actively encouraged to do this, despite their

heavy workloads they were polite and supported suggestions.

Now the-boot-is-on-the-other-foot so to speak I am quite speechless.

It wasn't so long ago that the NCT's CEO & Kirstie Allsop were having a lively

debate on Twitter. This made the headlines so maybe social networking sites do

have their advantages!

We all support Emma very much & as part of her group we are all very proud of

her.

Garance

HV Student.

Guest guest

I know someone on the staff of the NCT and have sent a gentle email to highlight the NCT’s stance and left it with her to do what she can/cannot do. With best wishes Toity Dr Toity DeaveSenior Research FellowCentre for Child & Adolescent HealthUniversity of the West of EnglandOakfield HouseOakfield GroveCliftonBristol BS8 2BN Tel: +44 117 3314032 (direct) 3314085 (general/a'phone)Email: toity.deave@...http://www.bristol.ac.uk/ccah From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GaranceSent: 06 June 2012 15:52 Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Having been involved with the NCT in the past I find this extremely disappointing. The NCT is all for making good links with midwifes & HV's and we (NCT antenatal students) were actively encouraged to do this, despite their heavy workloads they were polite and supported suggestions.Now the-boot-is-on-the-other-foot so to speak I am quite speechless.It wasn't so long ago that the NCT's CEO & Kirstie Allsop were having a lively debate on Twitter. This made the headlines so maybe social networking sites do have their advantages! We all support Emma very much & as part of her group we are all very proud of her.GaranceHV Student.

Guest guest

Oh, the perils of cross-posting! has come back on the PAFS interest group to say:No criticism of Emma’s commendable initiative or enthusiasm was intended whatsoever. And you are absolutely right about the democratic reach. I think the difficulty lies in our organisation taking the responsibility to recommend the action to all its members when we haven’t a good knowledge of the source – as a principle rather than because there is any particular problem in this case. Like you, I have signed as an individual - and I will be telling others on a personal basis. Let’s hope it works!The perils of cross-posting - II hadn't thought of that - of course organisations have corporate responsibilities, and we need that as much as individual passion - both-and, not either-or! I guess the key message in circulating links for petitions is to give maximum information, e.g. a cover letter or similar, so that everyone has the full details. Of course, it wasn't Emma that cross-posted the link to the other group . . . . Let's all keep circulating it!best wishesOn 6 Jun 2012, at 18:13, Toity Deave wrote: I know someone on the staff of the NCT and have sent a gentle email to highlight the NCT’s stance and left it with her to do what she can/cannot do. With best wishes Toity Dr Toity DeaveSenior Research FellowCentre for Child & Adolescent HealthUniversity of the West of EnglandOakfield HouseOakfield GroveCliftonBristol BS8 2BN Tel: +44 117 3314032 (direct) 3314085 (general/a'phone)Email: toity.deave@...http://www.bristol.ac.uk/ccah From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GaranceSent: 06 June 2012 15:52 Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Having been involved with the NCT in the past I find this extremely disappointing. The NCT is all for making good links with midwifes & HV's and we (NCT antenatal students) were actively encouraged to do this, despite their heavy workloads they were polite and supported suggestions.Now the-boot-is-on-the-other-foot so to speak I am quite speechless.It wasn't so long ago that the NCT's CEO & Kirstie Allsop were having a lively debate on Twitter. This made the headlines so maybe social networking sites do have their advantages! We all support Emma very much & as part of her group we are all very proud of her.GaranceHV Student. Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Can someone forward the original email in this trail I would like to sign and would also like to forward to everyone in east of england SHA region!ThanksLizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:28:35 +0100< >Reply Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Oh, the perils of cross-posting! has come back on the PAFS interest group to say:No criticism of Emma’s commendable initiative or enthusiasm was intended whatsoever. And you are absolutely right about the democratic reach. I think the difficulty lies in our organisation taking the responsibility to recommend the action to all its members when we haven’t a good knowledge of the source – as a principle rather than because there is any particular problem in this case. Like you, I have signed as an individual - and I will be telling others on a personal basis. Let’s hope it works!The perils of cross-posting - II hadn't thought of that - of course organisations have corporate responsibilities, and we need that as much as individual passion - both-and, not either-or! I guess the key message in circulating links for petitions is to give maximum information, e.g. a cover letter or similar, so that everyone has the full details. Of course, it wasn't Emma that cross-posted the link to the other group . . . . Let's all keep circulating it!best wishesOn 6 Jun 2012, at 18:13, Toity Deave wrote: I know someone on the staff of the NCT and have sent a gentle email to highlight the NCT’s stance and left it with her to do what she can/cannot do. With best wishes Toity Dr Toity DeaveSenior Research FellowCentre for Child & Adolescent HealthUniversity of the West of EnglandOakfield HouseOakfield GroveCliftonBristol BS8 2BN Tel: +44 117 3314032 (direct) 3314085 (general/a'phone)Email: toity.deave@...http://www.bristol.ac.uk/ccah From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GaranceSent: 06 June 2012 15:52 Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Having been involved with the NCT in the past I find this extremely disappointing. The NCT is all for making good links with midwifes & HV's and we (NCT antenatal students) were actively encouraged to do this, despite their heavy workloads they were polite and supported suggestions.Now the-boot-is-on-the-other-foot so to speak I am quite speechless.It wasn't so long ago that the NCT's CEO & Kirstie Allsop were having a lively debate on Twitter. This made the headlines so maybe social networking sites do have their advantages! We all support Emma very much & as part of her group we are all very proud of her.GaranceHV Student. Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Hi Liz,

Here is the link to the petition:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517

Thank you everyone for your support so far and for the positive words. I may

have not worded the petition spiel as some would like but, as a newbie with a

real frustration for this being withdrawn (along with a very strict word count

on the petition application), it was hard to put it all in a succinct nutshell.

I think the point was made though and appreciate all comments.

Emma

>

>

> >

> > I know someone on the staff of the NCT and have sent a gentle email

> > to highlight the NCT's stance and left it with her to do what she

> > can/cannot do.

> >

> >

> >

> > With best wishes

> >

> >

> >

> > Toity

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Dr Toity Deave

> >

> > Senior Research Fellow

> >

> > Centre for Child & Adolescent Health

> >

> > University of the West of England

> >

> > Oakfield House

> >

> > Oakfield Grove

> >

> > Clifton

> >

> > Bristol BS8 2BN

> >

> >

> >

> > Tel: +44 117 3314032 (direct) 3314085 (general/a'phone)

> >

> > Email: toity.deave@...

> >

> > http://www.bristol.ac.uk/ccah

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > From: [mailto:SENATE-

> > HVSN ] On Behalf Of Garance

> > Sent: 06 June 2012 15:52

> >

> > Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five

> > book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Having been involved with the NCT in the past I find this extremely

> > disappointing. The NCT is all for making good links with midwifes &

> > HV's and we (NCT antenatal students) were actively encouraged to do

> > this, despite their heavy workloads they were polite and supported

> > suggestions.

> >

> > Now the-boot-is-on-the-other-foot so to speak I am quite speechless.

> >

> > It wasn't so long ago that the NCT's CEO & Kirstie Allsop were

> > having a lively debate on Twitter. This made the headlines so maybe

> > social networking sites do have their advantages!

> >

> > We all support Emma very much & as part of her group we are all very

> > proud of her.

> >

> > Garance

> > HV Student.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Cowley

> sarahcowley183@...

> http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

>

Guest guest

Thanks EmmaLizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "emmavbal" <emmaballentyne@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 08:18:21 -0000< >Reply Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link Hi Liz,Here is the link to the petition:http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34517Thank you everyone for your support so far and for the positive words. I may have not worded the petition spiel as some would like but, as a newbie with a real frustration for this being withdrawn (along with a very strict word count on the petition application), it was hard to put it all in a succinct nutshell.I think the point was made though and appreciate all comments.Emma> > > >> > I know someone on the staff of the NCT and have sent a gentle email > > to highlight the NCT's stance and left it with her to do what she > > can/cannot do.> >> >> >> > With best wishes> >> >> >> > Toity> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Dr Toity Deave> >> > Senior Research Fellow> >> > Centre for Child & Adolescent Health> >> > University of the West of England> >> > Oakfield House> >> > Oakfield Grove> >> > Clifton> >> > Bristol BS8 2BN> >> >> >> > Tel: +44 117 3314032 (direct) 3314085 (general/a'phone)> >> > Email: toity.deave@...> >> > http://www.bristol.ac.uk/ccah> >> >> >> >> > From: [mailto:SENATE- > > HVSN ] On Behalf Of Garance> > Sent: 06 June 2012 15:52> > > > Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five > > book - e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link> >> >> >> >> >> > Having been involved with the NCT in the past I find this extremely > > disappointing. The NCT is all for making good links with midwifes & > > HV's and we (NCT antenatal students) were actively encouraged to do > > this, despite their heavy workloads they were polite and supported > > suggestions.> >> > Now the-boot-is-on-the-other-foot so to speak I am quite speechless.> >> > It wasn't so long ago that the NCT's CEO & Kirstie Allsop were > > having a lively debate on Twitter. This made the headlines so maybe > > social networking sites do have their advantages!> >> > We all support Emma very much & as part of her group we are all very > > proud of her.> >> > Garance> > HV Student.> >> >> >> > > > Cowley> sarahcowley183@...> http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn>

Guest guest

I couldn't agree more with all the comments this has generated, if new and

enthusiastic health visitors are not able to speak out for our families then

this would not bode well for the future we are trying to build. I believe that

this is a time when we should all support Emma and appeal to our younger parents

and professionals by making full use of social media, I have posted the petition

of Facebook as I have lots of friends of friends who have young families, lets

make this go viral!

Sally

Sally Kendall, PhD, B.Sc(Hons), RGN,RHV

Professor of Nursing

Director, CRIPACC

Visiting Professor Washington State University, USA

Professorial Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health

Co-editor Primary Health Research and Development

Co-Convenor ICCHNR (www.icchnr.org)

Phone: +44(0)1707 286380 or 285990 (sec)

Garance [ga.rance@...]

Sent: 06 June 2012 15:51

Subject: Re: [pafsinterestgroup] Fw: Birth to Five book -

e-petition at 10 Downing Street - Link

Having been involved with the NCT in the past I find this extremely

disappointing. The NCT is all for making good links with midwifes & HV's and we

(NCT antenatal students) were actively encouraged to do this, despite their

heavy workloads they were polite and supported suggestions.

Now the-boot-is-on-the-other-foot so to speak I am quite speechless.

It wasn't so long ago that the NCT's CEO & Kirstie Allsop were having a lively

debate on Twitter. This made the headlines so maybe social networking sites do

have their advantages!

We all support Emma very much & as part of her group we are all very proud of

her.

Garance

HV Student.