RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Children's Health Advisors

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks Lesley, it will be interesting to see.best wishesOn 12 Feb 2012, at 13:07, Lesley wrote: Hi I will try to scan and email down my CNN job description for a band 4 in Scotland, I'm not back in the office until the 21st of February but will try to get it done then. The CHA job description looks very worrying to me, health visiting on the cheap. Especially the issue of the Lead Professional and also the planning and development of ALL routine health checks? Surely they can's expect a band 4 to take that on. As I've said before SNNB/NNEB's, while a highly talented bunch of individuals, should not be asked to take on that role, that's not where our strengths lie. We are here to support our HV/SN colleagues not replace them. It's worrying how many of the routine contacts for core families we are taking on already. I strongly believe the HV/SN should be doing more not less of them in order to establish and retain the practitioner/client relationship, we should be there for general health promotion things like weaning groups, massage, parenting and play groups, sleep groups etc etc and to support individual families with a high level of need as identified by the HV/SN. But how can these needs be accurately identified and assessed if there are lots of different people going into a family in the early days, it doesn't make for easy relationship building. a worrying time for CNNs and HVs Lesley > > > I get those emailed job ads from time to time. This was one which > > caught my eye because I'd never heard of such posts. > > > > Turns out, it's the new name for NNEBs working in the community with > > HVs. They don't seem to report to a health visitor though - they are > > responsible to the team leader directly on Band 4. The scope of the > > work is surprising too - this is from the JD: > > > > POST SPECIFIC, TASKS AND OBJECTIVES > > > > OBJECTIVES > > > > The post holder will carry out tasks delegated by the named nurse*, > > for the day to day provision of client care with minimal supervision. > > > > The Children´s Health Advisor will support the delivery of the > > Healthy Child Programme (0-19) > > > > The Children´s Health Advisor will use the Common Assessment > > Framework (CAF) to promote integrated service delivery to vulnerable > > children and their families > > > > Working to Trust policies and procedures. > > > > The Children´s Health Advisor will work closely with partner > > organizations, particularly schools and children´s centres to promote > > a culture of integrated working in order to improve outcomes for > > children and their families > > > > The Children´s Health Advisor will assist in the identification of > > needs in order to promote the health and well being of children > > within the caseload > > > > The Children´s Health Advisor will support programmes to improve > > public health, particularly those related to breast feeding, healthy > > eating and weight and parenting skills > > > > The Children´s Health Advisor will work consistently to deliver > > improved outcomes based on the objectives of the Dorset Children and > > Young People´s Plan. > > > > TASKS > > > > Be aware of, conversant with and maintain up to date knowledge of > > Inter-agency Safeguarding Procedures. Attend and contribute to Child > > Protection initial and review Case Conferences where appropriate with > > the named nurse, in line with local guidelines and in discussion with > > the Manager. > > > > To work within the Dorset Overarching Information Sharing Protocol > > > > To initiate and participate in the Common Assessment Framework > > process including the Lead Professional role where appropriate. > > > > The planning and implementation of all routine developmental checks, > > for which the post holder will receive training as outlined by the > > Healthy Child Programme. This will be delegated by but with minimum > > supervision from, the named nurse/health visitor. Where health needs > > identified these are assessed and in consultation with the named > > nurse, a Health Care Plan implemented. > > > > The planning and implementation of population growth monitoring of > > designated groups of children ensuring that all data is recorded > > accurately. > > > > Ensure that growth monitoring equipment is kept in good working order > > and that they are calibrated regularly and reporting any breakages in > > a timely fashion. > > > > Refers to and accepts referrals from and interacts with the multi- > > agency team, under the guidance of the health visitor or school > > nurse. These contacts may be in person, by telephone or in writing on > > a daily basis. > > > > Attends team meetings as appropriate > > > > Communicates factual information to staff/patients and carers with > > different levels of understanding. This information may be complex or > > sensitive in nature. Uses appropriate communication style and > > empathy to deal with these situations. > > > > Give advice and support to parents, pupils and teaching staff on > > health related matters, where appropriate including drop ins in > > various settings including the home and act as a client advocate > > where appropriate > > > > Plan and implement Health Promotion activity, both for individuals > > and groups: within the local and national Public Health agenda with > > particular reference to the promotion of breastfeeding and > > appropriate weaning, the prevention of childhood obesity and > > promoting parenting skills in conjunction with partner agencies > > particularly children´s centres and schools > > > > Use resources effectively > > > > Share knowledge with colleagues. > > > > As part of the children and family health services team, participate > > in needs analysis activity. > > > > In accordance with Trust guidelines, ensure all client related > > contacts are recorded contemporaneously in the appropriate child > > health record > > > > Participate in own job development review to develop a personal > > development plan. Assist in the support of junior or less experienced > > colleagues as required. > > > > Attend clinical supervision and safeguarding supervision as directed. > > > > Reports in writing any adverse incidents within the appropriate time > > scale > > > > Attend statutory and mandatory training. > > > > Completion and return of statistics and audit requirements. > > > > Ensure that professional equipment is maintained in good working > > order. > > > > Any other duties commensurate to the pay band and as requested by the > > Manager. > > > > ____________________________________ > > > > * I'm not sure what the 'named nurse' is. > > > > Is this typical? It looks like the full public health role with > > fairly comprehensive autonomy to me. > > > > Is this a half-price reinvention of health visiting without the > > bother of registered practitioners? > > > > > > > > Cowley > sarahcowley183@... > http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn > Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

I find it all very chilling. The title itself 'Children's Health

Advisor' sounds like a very senior post with a substantial knowledge

base. It's phoney.

Personally, I think such titles are a fraud on the public.

Date sent: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:19:09 +0000

Subject: Re: Re: Children's Health Advisors

Send reply to:

Thanks Lesley, it will be interesting to see. best wishes

On 12 Feb 2012, at 13:07, Lesley wrote:

Hi

I will try to scan and email down my CNN job description for a band 4 in

Scotland, I'm not back in the office until the 21st of February but will try to

get it done then.

The CHA job description looks very worrying to me, health visiting on the cheap.

Especially the issue of the Lead Professional and also the planning and

development of ALL routine health checks? Surely they can's expect a band 4 to

take that on.

As I've said before SNNB/NNEB's, while a highly talented bunch of individuals,

should not be asked to take on that role, that's not where our strengths lie. We

are here to support our HV/SN colleagues not replace them.

It's worrying how many of the routine contacts for core families we are taking

on already. I strongly believe the HV/SN should be doing more not less of them

in order to establish and retain the practitioner/client relationship, we should

be there for general health promotion things like weaning groups, massage,

parenting and play groups, sleep groups etc etc and to support individual

families with a high level of need as identified by the HV/SN. But how can these

needs be accurately identified and assessed if there are lots of different

people going into a family in the early days, it doesn't make for easy

relationship building.

a worrying time for CNNs and HVs

Lesley

>

> Wow! All this on a Band 4! Thanks for bringing it to our attention

> .

>

> Of course 'team leader' is a term used for