RemedySpot.com

Re: concerned direct entry midwife!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Welcome to Senate, Dawn, and to health visiting. You have raised two really important issues which do not seem to be going away - how can we get back to 'real health visiting' (which for me means most of the day being spent in primary, universal prevention) and how can we get our profession recognised in its own right, rather than having to be validated in a different field. I do hope someone with experience of having to revalidate through midwifery will be able to give you some practical adviceOn 15 Jun 2012, at 06:33, dawnesmith1@... wrote: Hi I am in my last 8 weeks of my SCPHN course and really looking forward to the future as a health visitor. My concern is that as a direct entry midwife, I have to keep up my midwifery registration by completing 450 hours of midwifery over 3 years. I did not consolidate my midwifery training and do not wish to do bank work etc however the area I will be working in seems to have a high rate of child protection and very little 'health visiting' (something I know is common at the moment). Is anyone else a direct entry midwife already in a HV post? could you tell me how you maintain your reg.? Thanks :)Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Just another thought about this - I heard a rumour recently that 'double counting' of worked hours would be allowed for midwives, as it is for nurses. When I checked on the NMC website, it still said that, to revalidate their registration after three years, midwife-qualified health visitors needed to work 900 hours (450 in midwifery and 450 in nursing). Has anyone else heard that there has been a change here? best wishes On 15 Jun 2012, at 08:05, Cowley wrote: Welcome to Senate, Dawn, and to health visiting. You have raised two really important issues which do not seem to be going away - how can we get back to 'real health visiting' (which for me means most of the day being spent in primary, universal prevention) and how can we get our profession recognised in its own right, rather than having to be validated in a different field. I do hope someone with experience of having to revalidate through midwifery will be able to give you some practical adviceOn 15 Jun 2012, at 06:33, dawnesmith1@... wrote: Hi I am in my last 8 weeks of my SCPHN course and really looking forward to the future as a health visitor. My concern is that as a direct entry midwife, I have to keep up my midwifery registration by completing 450 hours of midwifery over 3 years. I did not consolidate my midwifery training and do not wish to do bank work etc however the area I will be working in seems to have a high rate of child protection and very little 'health visiting' (something I know is common at the moment). Is anyone else a direct entry midwife already in a HV post? could you tell me how you maintain your reg.? Thanks :)Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Not to my knowledge!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>Sender: Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:20:24 +0100< >Reply Subject: Re: concerned direct entry midwife!! Just another thought about this - I heard a rumour recently that 'double counting' of worked hours would be allowed for midwives, as it is for nurses. When I checked on the NMC website, it still said that, to revalidate their registration after three years, midwife-qualified health visitors needed to work 900 hours (450 in midwifery and 450 in nursing). Has anyone else heard that there has been a change here? best wishes On 15 Jun 2012, at 08:05, Cowley wrote: Welcome to Senate, Dawn, and to health visiting. You have raised two really important issues which do not seem to be going away - how can we get back to 'real health visiting' (which for me means most of the day being spent in primary, universal prevention) and how can we get our profession recognised in its own right, rather than having to be validated in a different field. I do hope someone with experience of having to revalidate through midwifery will be able to give you some practical adviceOn 15 Jun 2012, at 06:33, dawnesmith1@... wrote: Hi I am in my last 8 weeks of my SCPHN course and really looking forward to the future as a health visitor. My concern is that as a direct entry midwife, I have to keep up my midwifery registration by completing 450 hours of midwifery over 3 years. I did not consolidate my midwifery training and do not wish to do bank work etc however the area I will be working in seems to have a high rate of child protection and very little 'health visiting' (something I know is common at the moment). Is anyone else a direct entry midwife already in a HV post? could you tell me how you maintain your reg.? Thanks :)Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn