RemedySpot.com

Re: Local Govt. / Libraries and Health / Health and Well Being Commisioning /Building COmmunity Capacity.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Angie ,

This is most likely too late for your presentation but nevertheless it seems to me to be an important development that needs to be supported by HVs and GPs all around the UK.

Jon Scown - below - writes about a developing project that is now a National Project and should be developing in one way or another in every library service around the UK.

Best wishes

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Hopefully the following is what you are looking for. Please let me know if you need something

else/different!

A successful funding bid was recently made to the Arts Council for a national pilot to develop a public library health offer. The funding

will be used to develop and pilot a shared Books on Prescription scheme integrated with creative reading across 50 participating library authorities working in regional clusters across England. Learning gained will be used to produce a consistent national

health offer model which we hope will be adopted in every English library within two years of completion of the project.

Books on Prescription is a public library bibliotherapy scheme in which a patient is given a ‘prescription’ by a health professional

for a self-help book which can be obtained from the local library. It is already well respected by health sector partners as providing an important source of help and support for people experiencing mild to moderate mental health issues. It gives the patient

more control over their treatment, an alternative to medication and helps avoid the stigma of mental illness.

Creative reading represents a key strand of the library health offer which will complement Books on Prescription. It is supported by

evidence that creative reading reduces stress levels by 68%, the risk of dementia by 35% and that social reading activity helps people relax, combats loneliness and offers therapeutic benefit.

The intended aim of the project is to deliver high quality generic resources to support local delivery with health and social care partners.

The project is supported by the Department of Health as it delivers policy priorities emphasising the benefits of community networks, social capital and learning interventions in supporting mental health.

Jon

Jon Scown

LibrariesWest Development Officer

Libraries Centre, Mount St, Bridgwater TA6 3ES

Email:

JMScown@...

www.librarieswest.org.uk

[ ] On Behalf Of angie [angiecurl@...]

Sent: 30 June 2012 14:51

Subject: BCC

Hi all...am hoping that you can help!

I am a student health visitor coming towards the end of my training (although we still have so much uni work to do, it's difficult to see how close to the end we all are!)

I've heard the term 'building community capacity' but struggling to find out about it - can anyone help?? I (as have all of my student colleagues) an interview coming up and I need to do a 10 minute presentation on it and how I plan to deliver it. I understand

its part of the health visiting " Call for Action " , and we are having a couple of taught sessions on it, but unfortunately weeks after my interview! Very frustrating!

I look forward to any help you can give!

Angie

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:

to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere