RemedySpot.com

RE: HVs // GPs and ICT

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Two ideas to put in the pot:

Prof Steve Field GP in Bham and President of RCGP ( I think) was on the radio recently and said that

over recent years his consultations have changed a lot - mine have too. Half the time is taken up with finding out what is wrong and making a diagnosis and half the time guiding people to useful websites. My last patient

just now

was grateful for guidance to good websites about ME/CFS ( she has two children under 5 )

MAGGIE'S CANCER CARE Centres - now offers nurse led

" guided websurfing " to patients with cancer who as we know often must live with their condition for many years. People with other conditions often need similar help.

and also

The RSA Public Services TRust has published a document called " In Line or On Line " // the first 15 pages are

about the future of ICT services in healthcare. I would download and send this as a pdf but my PC refuses to

help me do this today.

Of course the National Community Library Service ought also to be helping us now especially because

the book " 0 -5 " is now only " online " // many of our patients/clients are not computer savvy or connected so

the library is their only hope to be able to access this book and the information in it previously given away to parents by GPs and HVs.

Malcolm

Sent: 12 April 2012 09:48

Subject: Re: quarterly progress report

This certainly sounds like progress! I do think the key to it lies

in what it does for professional practice. These days, the hardware

is so various and better connected than before. It's a very rural HV

who can't get anything online these days, but mountains do tend to

make it patchy. We shouldn't be bemused by whizzy technology,

because it's only worthwhile if it improves our core practice. So

although I applaud any kit which makes it easier to collect fairly

pointless adminstrative data without the burden of extra paperwork,

it's with limited enthusiasm.

I did some work on this ages ago and found that most IT systems

seemed to meet management data needs as a primary purpose. Many also

did 'patient care' stuff in a general sense, based on slight

modifications of hospital software. They all considered the patient

as a unit and couldn't even link in biological parents, let alone

anything more complex. DPA was often cited as a reason, but isn't it

always?

To reflect the full HV practice across the age groups and including

community public health data has remained a bit of dream since I did

my first postgrad dissertation on the information needs for HV

practice. At that time, I never thought it would take so long to

happen, which proves I'm a crummy clairvoyant!

Date sent: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:13:34 +0000

Send reply to:

In Essex there are a number of initiatives including tablets,

toughbooks and briefcase. From what I can see one size will not fit

all. Because of mobile signal cover some technologies work better in

some areas than other.

Some of the better solutions in the field require downloads at end of

each day which can be problematic.

Also every area seems to have different recording systems and

although System 1 is the most common it is not universal and even

more problematic is that the templates on System1 differ from

Provider to Provider!

So even if you have same system data differs- EoE SHA were looking at

technology for the workforce but because of the huge variety of

hardware and existing systems they have gone back to the drawing

board to seek solutions!

But great that it is at last being considered seriously.

LizSent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Sender:

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:56:12 -0400

< >

Subject: RE: quarterly progress report

The Department are working with South East Coast SHA on an IT project

with health visitors using digital pens, lap tops and the smaller

screen which I cannot rember the name of.

Apparently the latter work best as they have all the material the

practitioner needs downloaded onto them and they can be filled in in

the home or with the parent and also the Hv can send information to

the parents email address or phone if needs be. It is very live and

as it happens and am hoping to learn more about it.

There is also going to be some wok with health visitors linked to the

leadership programme we hope - to get them understanding how they

can use the information available more effectively - in its early

stages but again will be more live than we have ever had before.

Am interested in what has been happening in Devon Beverley - it has

to be the way forward.

Margaret

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:

to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere

********************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

Good thoughts, thanks Malcolm.Here is a website that was sent to me this morning as 'take a break' - two minutes therapy. Watch it if you feel the need to relax for a moment.http://www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0On 12 Apr 2012, at 10:05, Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT) wrote: Two ideas to put in the pot: Prof Steve Field GP in Bham and President of RCGP ( I think) was on the radio recently and said that over recent years his consultations have changed a lot - mine have too. Half the time is taken up with finding out what is wrong and making a diagnosis and half the time guiding people to useful websites. My last patient just now was grateful for guidance to good websites about ME/CFS ( she has two children under 5 ) MAGGIE'S CANCER CARE Centres - now offers nurse led "guided websurfing" to patients with cancer who as we know often must live with their condition for many years. People with other conditions often need similar help. and also The RSA Public Services TRust has published a document called "In Line or On Line" // the first 15 pages are about the future of ICT services in healthcare. I would download and send this as a pdf but my PC refuses to help me do this today. Of course the National Community Library Service ought also to be helping us now especially because the book "0 -5" is now only "online" // many of our patients/clients are not computer savvy or connected so the library is their only hope to be able to access this book and the information in it previously given away to parents by GPs and HVs. Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of hwood@... [hwood@...] Sent: 12 April 2012 09:48 Subject: Re: quarterly progress report This certainly sounds like progress! I do think the key to it lies in what it does for professional practice. These days, the hardware is so various and better connected than before. It's a very rural HV who can't get anything online these days, but mountains do tend to make it patchy. We shouldn't be bemused by whizzy technology, because it's only worthwhile if it improves our core practice. So although I applaud any kit which makes it easier to collect fairly pointless adminstrative data without the burden of extra paperwork, it's with limited enthusiasm. I did some work on this ages ago and found that most IT systems seemed to meet management data needs as a primary purpose. Many also did 'patient care' stuff in a general sense, based on slight modifications of hospital software. They all considered the patient as a unit and couldn't even link in biological parents, let alone anything more complex. DPA was often cited as a reason, but isn't it always? To reflect the full HV practice across the age groups and including community public health data has remained a bit of dream since I did my first postgrad dissertation on the information needs for HV practice. At that time, I never thought it would take so long to happen, which proves I'm a crummy clairvoyant! From: liz.plastow@... Date sent: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:13:34 +0000 Subject: Re: quarterly progress report Send reply to: In Essex there are a number of initiatives including tablets, toughbooks and briefcase. From what I can see one size will not fit all. Because of mobile signal cover some technologies work better in some areas than other. Some of the better solutions in the field require downloads at end of each day which can be problematic. Also every area seems to have different recording systems and although System 1 is the most common it is not universal and even more problematic is that the templates on System1 differ from Provider to Provider! So even if you have same system data differs- EoE SHA were looking at technology for the workforce but because of the huge variety of hardware and existing systems they have gone back to the drawing board to seek solutions! But great that it is at last being considered seriously. LizSent using BlackBerry® from Orange From: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:56:12 -0400 < > Reply Subject: RE: quarterly progress report The Department are working with South East Coast SHA on an IT project with health visitors using digital pens, lap tops and the smaller screen which I cannot rember the name of. Apparently the latter work best as they have all the material the practitioner needs downloaded onto them and they can be filled in in the home or with the parent and also the Hv can send information to the parents email address or phone if needs be. It is very live and as it happens and am hoping to learn more about it. There is also going to be some wok with health visitors linked to the leadership programme we hope - to get them understanding how they can use the information available more effectively - in its early stages but again will be more live than we have ever had before. Am interested in what has been happening in Devon Beverley - it has to be the way forward. Margaret ******************************************************************************************************************** This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it. Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation. NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere ******************************************************************************************************************** Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!! From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 12 April 2012 10:17 Subject: Re: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT Good thoughts, thanks Malcolm. Here is a website that was sent to me this morning as 'take a break' - two minutes therapy. Watch it if you feel the need to relax for a moment. http://www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0 On 12 Apr 2012, at 10:05, Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT) wrote: Two ideas to put in the pot: Prof Steve Field GP in Bham and President of RCGP ( I think) was on the radio recently and said that over recent years his consultations have changed a lot - mine have too. Half the time is taken up with finding out what is wrong and making a diagnosis and half the time guiding people to useful websites. My last patient just now was grateful for guidance to good websites about ME/CFS ( she has two children under 5 ) MAGGIE'S CANCER CARE Centres - now offers nurse led " guided websurfing " to patients with cancer who as we know often must live with their condition for many years. People with other conditions often need similar help. and also The RSA Public Services TRust has published a document called " In Line or On Line " // the first 15 pages are about the future of ICT services in healthcare. I would download and send this as a pdf but my PC refuses to help me do this today. Of course the National Community Library Service ought also to be helping us now especially because the book " 0 -5 " is now only " online " // many of our patients/clients are not computer savvy or connected so the library is their only hope to be able to access this book and the information in it previously given away to parents by GPs and HVs. Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of hwood@... [hwood@...]Sent: 12 April 2012 09:48 Subject: Re: quarterly progress report This certainly sounds like progress! I do think the key to it lies in what it does for professional practice. These days, the hardware is so various and better connected than before. It's a very rural HV who can't get anything online these days, but mountains do tend to make it patchy. We shouldn't be bemused by whizzy technology, because it's only worthwhile if it improves our core practice. So although I applaud any kit which makes it easier to collect fairly pointless adminstrative data without the burden of extra paperwork, it's with limited enthusiasm.I did some work on this ages ago and found that most IT systems seemed to meet management data needs as a primary purpose. Many also did 'patient care' stuff in a general sense, based on slight modifications of hospital software. They all considered the patient as a unit and couldn't even link in biological parents, let alone anything more complex. DPA was often cited as a reason, but isn't it always? To reflect the full HV practice across the age groups and including community public health data has remained a bit of dream since I did my first postgrad dissertation on the information needs for HV practice. At that time, I never thought it would take so long to happen, which proves I'm a crummy clairvoyant! From: liz.plastow@...Date sent: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:13:34 +0000Subject: Re: quarterly progress reportSend reply to: In Essex there are a number of initiatives including tablets, toughbooks and briefcase. From what I can see one size will not fit all. Because of mobile signal cover some technologies work better in some areas than other.Some of the better solutions in the field require downloads at end of each day which can be problematic.Also every area seems to have different recording systems and although System 1 is the most common it is not universal and even more problematic is that the templates on System1 differ from Provider to Provider!So even if you have same system data differs- EoE SHA were looking at technology for the workforce but because of the huge variety of hardware and existing systems they have gone back to the drawing board to seek solutions!But great that it is at last being considered seriously.LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:56:12 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: quarterly progress reportThe Department are working with South East Coast SHA on an IT project with health visitors using digital pens, lap tops and the smaller screen which I cannot rember the name of. Apparently the latter work best as they have all the material the practitioner needs downloaded onto them and they can be filled in in the home or with the parent and also the Hv can send information to the parents email address or phone if needs be. It is very live and as it happens and am hoping to learn more about it.There is also going to be some wok with health visitors linked to the leadership programme we hope - to get them understanding how they can use the information available more effectively - in its early stages but again will be more live than we have ever had before.Am interested in what has been happening in Devon Beverley - it has to be the way forward.Margaret ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere******************************************************************************************************************** Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn University Campus Suffolk is the trading name of University Campus Suffolk Ltd. Registered in England and Wales, company number: 05078498.

Registered Address: Waterfront Building, Neptune Quay, Ipswich, IP4 1QJ

Guest guest

Thanks Malcolm that is useful contactsLizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)" <m.rigler@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:05:36 +0100 < >Reply Subject: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT Two ideas to put in the pot: Prof Steve Field GP in Bham and President of RCGP ( I think) was on the radio recently and said that over recent years his consultations have changed a lot - mine have too. Half the time is taken up with finding out what is wrong and making a diagnosis and half the time guiding people to useful websites. My last patientjust now was grateful for guidance to good websites about ME/CFS ( she has two children under 5 ) MAGGIE'S CANCER CARE Centres - now offers nurse led " guided websurfing " to patients with cancer who as we know often must live with their condition for many years. People with other conditions often need similar help. and also The RSA Public Services TRust has published a document called " In Line or On Line " // the first 15 pages areabout the future of ICT services in healthcare. I would download and send this as a pdf but my PC refuses tohelp me do this today. Of course the National Community Library Service ought also to be helping us now especially becausethe book " 0 -5 " is now only " online " // many of our patients/clients are not computer savvy or connected sothe library is their only hope to be able to access this book and the information in it previously given away to parents by GPs and HVs. Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of hwood@... [hwood@...]Sent: 12 April 2012 09:48 Subject: Re: quarterly progress report This certainly sounds like progress! I do think the key to it lies in what it does for professional practice. These days, the hardware is so various and better connected than before. It's a very rural HV who can't get anything online these days, but mountains do tend to make it patchy. We shouldn't be bemused by whizzy technology, because it's only worthwhile if it improves our core practice. So although I applaud any kit which makes it easier to collect fairly pointless adminstrative data without the burden of extra paperwork, it's with limited enthusiasm.I did some work on this ages ago and found that most IT systems seemed to meet management data needs as a primary purpose. Many also did 'patient care' stuff in a general sense, based on slight modifications of hospital software. They all considered the patient as a unit and couldn't even link in biological parents, let alone anything more complex. DPA was often cited as a reason, but isn't it always? To reflect the full HV practice across the age groups and including community public health data has remained a bit of dream since I did my first postgrad dissertation on the information needs for HV practice. At that time, I never thought it would take so long to happen, which proves I'm a crummy clairvoyant! From: liz.plastow@...Date sent: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:13:34 +0000Subject: Re: quarterly progress reportSend reply to: In Essex there are a number of initiatives including tablets, toughbooks and briefcase. From what I can see one size will not fit all. Because of mobile signal cover some technologies work better in some areas than other.Some of the better solutions in the field require downloads at end of each day which can be problematic.Also every area seems to have different recording systems and although System 1 is the most common it is not universal and even more problematic is that the templates on System1 differ from Provider to Provider!So even if you have same system data differs- EoE SHA were looking at technology for the workforce but because of the huge variety of hardware and existing systems they have gone back to the drawing board to seek solutions!But great that it is at last being considered seriously.LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:56:12 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: quarterly progress reportThe Department are working with South East Coast SHA on an IT project with health visitors using digital pens, lap tops and the smaller screen which I cannot rember the name of. Apparently the latter work best as they have all the material the practitioner needs downloaded onto them and they can be filled in in the home or with the parent and also the Hv can send information to the parents email address or phone if needs be. It is very live and as it happens and am hoping to learn more about it.There is also going to be some wok with health visitors linked to the leadership programme we hope - to get them understanding how they can use the information available more effectively - in its early stages but again will be more live than we have ever had before.Am interested in what has been happening in Devon Beverley - it has to be the way forward.Margaret ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere********************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

The ARTS COUNCIL is now the " strategy lead " for the Library Service.

They are currently running a consultation on the future of the Library Service.

If you go the the website for the ARTS COUNCIL from the home page enter in the SEARCH box

" Library COnsultation " you will get to theCONSULTATION BLOG // we are all invited to make a contribution which

I am told will be taken very seriously.

My contribution is under the " SOCIAL JUSTICE " section.

The more contributions to this BLOG from PRIMARY CARE the better.

Malcolm

Sent: 12 April 2012 10:30

Subject: Re: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT

Thanks Malcolm that is useful contacts

Liz

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

From: " Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT) " <m.rigler@...>

Sender:

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:05:36 +0100

< >

Subject: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT

Prof Steve Field GP in Bham and President of RCGP ( I think) was on the radio recently and said that

over recent years his consultations have changed a lot - mine have too. Half the time is taken up with finding out what is wrong and making a diagnosis and half the time guiding people to useful websites. My last patient

just now

was grateful for guidance to good websites about ME/CFS ( she has two children under 5 )

" guided websurfing " to patients with cancer who as we know often must live with their condition for many years. People with other conditions often need similar help.

and also

The RSA Public Services TRust has published a document called " In Line or On Line " // the first 15 pages are

about the future of ICT services in healthcare. I would download and send this as a pdf but my PC refuses to

help me do this today.

Of course the National Community Library Service ought also to be helping us now especially because

the book " 0 -5 " is now only " online " // many of our patients/clients are not computer savvy or connected so

the library is their only hope to be able to access this book and the information in it previously given away to parents by GPs and HVs.

Malcolm

always?

Send reply to:

some areas than other.

Provider to Provider!

board to seek solutions!

Sender:

< >

to be the way forward.

Margaret

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere

Guest guest

Truly Amazing// Thank you.

Malcolm

Sent: 12 April 2012 10:17

Subject: Re: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT

Good thoughts, thanks Malcolm.

Here is a website that was sent to me this morning as 'take a break' - two minutes therapy. Watch it if you feel the need to relax for a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0

On 12 Apr 2012, at 10:05, Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT) wrote:

just now

and also

help me do this today.

Malcolm

[ ] On Behalf Of

hwood@... [hwood@...]

always?

Send reply to:

some areas than other.

Provider to Provider!

board to seek solutions!

Sender:

< >

to be the way forward.

Margaret

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi PamMaybe we can catch up at next CPT meeting? I have been contacted by our IT Manager in Essex and would welcome your help and expert knowledge?LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "Pam Schultz" <pam.schultz@...>Sender: Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:03:07 +0100< >Reply Subject: HVs // GPs and ICT Hello Malcolm & All,I found the “inline & online” document useful, so thanks for the pointer. I am doing a small piece of research (to complete MPH) on Health Visitors & School Nurses use of ICTs in their work, especially with vulnerable families. I have done a very extensive lit search, and think I have a reasonable amount of material. If anyone on here has a similar interest, or knows of local initiatives re: ICT’s and health please can you contact me? Best wishes, Pam (Lecturer UCS) pam.schultz@... From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 12 April 2012 10:56 Subject: RE: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT Truly Amazing// Thank you. Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]Sent: 12 April 2012 10:17 Subject: Re: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT Good thoughts, thanks Malcolm. Here is a website that was sent to me this morning as 'take a break' - two minutes therapy. Watch it if you feel the need to relax for a moment. http://www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0 On 12 Apr 2012, at 10:05, Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT) wrote: Two ideas to put in the pot: Prof Steve Field GP in Bham and President of RCGP ( I think) was on the radio recently and said that over recent years his consultations have changed a lot - mine have too. Half the time is taken up with finding out what is wrong and making a diagnosis and half the time guiding people to useful websites. My last patient just now was grateful for guidance to good websites about ME/CFS ( she has two children under 5 ) MAGGIE'S CANCER CARE Centres - now offers nurse led " guided websurfing " to patients with cancer who as we know often must live with their condition for many years. People with other conditions often need similar help. and also The RSA Public Services TRust has published a document called " In Line or On Line " // the first 15 pages are about the future of ICT services in healthcare. I would download and send this as a pdf but my PC refuses to help me do this today. Of course the National Community Library Service ought also to be helping us now especially because the book " 0 -5 " is now only " online " // many of our patients/clients are not computer savvy or connected so the library is their only hope to be able to access this book and the information in it previously given away to parents by GPs and HVs. Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of hwood@... [hwood@...]Sent: 12 April 2012 09:48 Subject: Re: quarterly progress report This certainly sounds like progress! I do think the key to it lies in what it does for professional practice. These days, the hardware is so various and better connected than before. It's a very rural HV who can't get anything online these days, but mountains do tend to make it patchy. We shouldn't be bemused by whizzy technology, because it's only worthwhile if it improves our core practice. So although I applaud any kit which makes it easier to collect fairly pointless adminstrative data without the burden of extra paperwork, it's with limited enthusiasm.I did some work on this ages ago and found that most IT systems seemed to meet management data needs as a primary purpose. Many also did 'patient care' stuff in a general sense, based on slight modifications of hospital software. They all considered the patient as a unit and couldn't even link in biological parents, let alone anything more complex. DPA was often cited as a reason, but isn't it always? To reflect the full HV practice across the age groups and including community public health data has remained a bit of dream since I did my first postgrad dissertation on the information needs for HV practice. At that time, I never thought it would take so long to happen, which proves I'm a crummy clairvoyant! From: liz.plastow@...Date sent: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:13:34 +0000Subject: Re: quarterly progress reportSend reply to: In Essex there are a number of initiatives including tablets, toughbooks and briefcase. From what I can see one size will not fit all. Because of mobile signal cover some technologies work better in some areas than other.Some of the better solutions in the field require downloads at end of each day which can be problematic.Also every area seems to have different recording systems and although System 1 is the most common it is not universal and even more problematic is that the templates on System1 differ from Provider to Provider!So even if you have same system data differs- EoE SHA were looking at technology for the workforce but because of the huge variety of hardware and existing systems they have gone back to the drawing board to seek solutions!But great that it is at last being considered seriously.LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:56:12 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: quarterly progress reportThe Department are working with South East Coast SHA on an IT project with health visitors using digital pens, lap tops and the smaller screen which I cannot rember the name of. Apparently the latter work best as they have all the material the practitioner needs downloaded onto them and they can be filled in in the home or with the parent and also the Hv can send information to the parents email address or phone if needs be. It is very live and as it happens and am hoping to learn more about it.There is also going to be some wok with health visitors linked to the leadership programme we hope - to get them understanding how they can use the information available more effectively - in its early stages but again will be more live than we have ever had before.Am interested in what has been happening in Devon Beverley - it has to be the way forward.Margaret ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere******************************************************************************************************************** Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere********************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

Hi Liz,Well I’m not sure my expertise is that great at the moment, however hope it will be soon as I am doing a short presentation at CPHVA conference in November! Better get cracking with it. Would be very pleased to help in any way I can. Just to confirm Liz, the event for newly qualifying students is 3rd July, and that we as lecturers/educators are invited? See you soon pam.schultz@... From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of liz.plastow@...Sent: 24 April 2012 09:38 Subject: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT Hi PamMaybe we can catch up at next CPT meeting? I have been contacted by our IT Manager in Essex and would welcome your help and expert knowledge?LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: " Pam Schultz " <pam.schultz@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:03:07 +0100< >Reply Subject: HVs // GPs and ICT Hello Malcolm & All,I found the “inline & online” document useful, so thanks for the pointer. I am doing a small piece of research (to complete MPH) on Health Visitors & School Nurses use of ICTs in their work, especially with vulnerable families. I have done a very extensive lit search, and think I have a reasonable amount of material. If anyone on here has a similar interest, or knows of local initiatives re: ICT’s and health please can you contact me? Best wishes, Pam (Lecturer UCS) pam.schultz@... From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 12 April 2012 10:56 Subject: RE: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT Truly Amazing// Thank you. Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]Sent: 12 April 2012 10:17 Subject: Re: Re: HVs // GPs and ICT Good thoughts, thanks Malcolm. Here is a website that was sent to me this morning as 'take a break' - two minutes therapy. Watch it if you feel the need to relax for a moment. http://www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0 On 12 Apr 2012, at 10:05, Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT) wrote: Two ideas to put in the pot: Prof Steve Field GP in Bham and President of RCGP ( I think) was on the radio recently and said that over recent years his consultations have changed a lot - mine have too. Half the time is taken up with finding out what is wrong and making a diagnosis and half the time guiding people to useful websites. My last patient just now was grateful for guidance to good websites about ME/CFS ( she has two children under 5 ) MAGGIE'S CANCER CARE Centres - now offers nurse led " guided websurfing " to patients with cancer who as we know often must live with their condition for many years. People with other conditions often need similar help. and also The RSA Public Services TRust has published a document called " In Line or On Line " // the first 15 pages are about the future of ICT services in healthcare. I would download and send this as a pdf but my PC refuses to help me do this today. Of course the National Community Library Service ought also to be helping us now especially because the book " 0 -5 " is now only " online " // many of our patients/clients are not computer savvy or connected so the library is their only hope to be able to access this book and the information in it previously given away to parents by GPs and HVs. Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of hwood@... [hwood@...]Sent: 12 April 2012 09:48 Subject: Re: quarterly progress report This certainly sounds like progress! I do think the key to it lies in what it does for professional practice. These days, the hardware is so various and better connected than before. It's a very rural HV who can't get anything online these days, but mountains do tend to make it patchy. We shouldn't be bemused by whizzy technology, because it's only worthwhile if it improves our core practice. So although I applaud any kit which makes it easier to collect fairly pointless adminstrative data without the burden of extra paperwork, it's with limited enthusiasm.I did some work on this ages ago and found that most IT systems seemed to meet management data needs as a primary purpose. Many also did 'patient care' stuff in a general sense, based on slight modifications of hospital software. They all considered the patient as a unit and couldn't even link in biological parents, let alone anything more complex. DPA was often cited as a reason, but isn't it always? To reflect the full HV practice across the age groups and including community public health data has remained a bit of dream since I did my first postgrad dissertation on the information needs for HV practice. At that time, I never thought it would take so long to happen, which proves I'm a crummy clairvoyant! From: liz.plastow@...Date sent: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:13:34 +0000Subject: Re: quarterly progress reportSend reply to: In Essex there are a number of initiatives including tablets, toughbooks and briefcase. From what I can see one size will not fit all. Because of mobile signal cover some technologies work better in some areas than other.Some of the better solutions in the field require downloads at end of each day which can be problematic.Also every area seems to have different recording systems and although System 1 is the most common it is not universal and even more problematic is that the templates on System1 differ from Provider to Provider!So even if you have same system data differs- EoE SHA were looking at technology for the workforce but because of the huge variety of hardware and existing systems they have gone back to the drawing board to seek solutions!But great that it is at last being considered seriously.LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:56:12 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: quarterly progress reportThe Department are working with South East Coast SHA on an IT project with health visitors using digital pens, lap tops and the smaller screen which I cannot rember the name of. Apparently the latter work best as they have all the material the practitioner needs downloaded onto them and they can be filled in in the home or with the parent and also the Hv can send information to the parents email address or phone if needs be. It is very live and as it happens and am hoping to learn more about it.There is also going to be some wok with health visitors linked to the leadership programme we hope - to get them understanding how they can use the information available more effectively - in its early stages but again will be more live than we have ever had before.Am interested in what has been happening in Devon Beverley - it has to be the way forward.Margaret ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere******************************************************************************************************************** Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere********************************************************************************************************************