RemedySpot.com

RE: Health Visiting.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Gillian I so like your very positive attitude and wanted to share with you my personal experience albeit 40 years ago. Like you when I qualified as a nurse I knew I wanted to work out in primary care and as we did then- I did midwifery and knew even more positively that was the way I wanted to go. Although I tried- I was not considered old enough at 22 to be a health visitor so took a job as a school nurse – very much a nit nurse in those days – and then the opportunity came as I was in the right place to train as a health visitor and my year at University was brilliant and I have never looked back! MY advice is to persevere and look for work in community as a staff nurse either in health visiting or school nursing just to gain a bit of experience and then go for it. There are quite a lot of free events at the moment around health visiting and school nursing as I guess the RCN one was so do look out for these and I am sure like for me you will get there. It is so positive to see people like yourself and Jo using SENATE to get the information you need. My very best wishes and good luck Margaret Buttigeg [mailto: ] On Behalf Of gilly55sunSent: 19 April 2012 11:04 Subject: Health Visiting. Hi everyone,I am new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself.My name is Gillian, I'm a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in Sept.I'm desperate to get into health visiting, I've recently been to the RCN seminar to seek advice and information which I found really useful.I'm a mature student and wish to dedicate my nursing profession to community and public health nursing.However I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy, its a busy time at the moment with management placement looming, but I would appreciate any advice you can offer, whether it be about the role or interviews or stories of your experiences really.I have applied for my first post this week, so fingers crossed, I did think I was at a disadvantage having no post reg experience however I have many life skills to offer and transferable skills from other employment.Good luck to Jo, I was reading your posts, fingers crossed for you, I hope you get your place, maybe you could share your experience when you have been through your interview.Kindest regardsGillian.

Guest guest

Hi Margaret,Thankyou for sharing your experience with me and taking the time to reply to my post.I am already looking for jobs in the community as I don't want to pin all my hopes on getting into the health visiting immediately and as you said some experience would be of benefit.It's extremely difficult at the moment with the job climate the way it is however I need to work.I'm still at the very beginning Margaret so all I can do is keep on trying, besides filling in application forms and writing my CV and personal statement is all good practice and although I'm prepared for some rejection we learn from that also, so like you said if I stay positive and keep trying I will get there.This sight is fantastic for people like Jo and myself and its so nice to know there are people out there who willingly offer their advice and expertise.Thankyou once moreKindest regardsGillian. From: margaret@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:34:56 -0400Subject: RE: Health Visiting.

Hi Gillian I so like your very positive attitude and wanted to share with you my personal experience albeit 40 years ago. Like you when I qualified as a nurse I knew I wanted to work out in primary care and as we did then- I did midwifery and knew even more positively that was the way I wanted to go. Although I tried- I was not considered old enough at 22 to be a health visitor so took a job as a school nurse – very much a nit nurse in those days – and then the opportunity came as I was in the right place to train as a health visitor and my year at University was brilliant and I have never looked back! MY advice is to persevere and look for work in community as a staff nurse either in health visiting or school nursing just to gain a bit of experience and then go for it. There are quite a lot of free events at the moment around health visiting and school nursing as I guess the RCN one was so do look out for these and I am sure like for me you will get there. It is so positive to see people like yourself and Jo using SENATE to get the information you need. My very best wishes and good luck Margaret Buttigeg [mailto: ] On Behalf Of gilly55sunSent: 19 April 2012 11:04 Subject: Health Visiting. Hi everyone,I am new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself.My name is Gillian, I'm a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in Sept.I'm desperate to get into health visiting, I've recently been to the RCN seminar to seek advice and information which I found really useful.I'm a mature student and wish to dedicate my nursing profession to community and public health nursing.However I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy, its a busy time at the moment with management placement looming, but I would appreciate any advice you can offer, whether it be about the role or interviews or stories of your experiences really.I have applied for my first post this week, so fingers crossed, I did think I was at a disadvantage having no post reg experience however I have many life skills to offer and transferable skills from other employment.Good luck to Jo, I was reading your posts, fingers crossed for you, I hope you get your place, maybe you could share your experience when you have been through your interview.Kindest regardsGillian.

Guest guest

My pleasure and if you want any individual advice – just email me. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Gillian BevanSent: 22 April 2012 10:48 Subject: RE: Health Visiting. Hi Margaret,Thankyou for sharing your experience with me and taking the time to reply to my post.I am already looking for jobs in the community as I don't want to pin all my hopes on getting into the health visiting immediately and as you said some experience would be of benefit.It's extremely difficult at the moment with the job climate the way it is however I need to work.I'm still at the very beginning Margaret so all I can do is keep on trying, besides filling in application forms and writing my CV and personal statement is all good practice and although I'm prepared for some rejection we learn from that also, so like you said if I stay positive and keep trying I will get there.This sight is fantastic for people like Jo and myself and its so nice to know there are people out there who willingly offer their advice and expertise.Thankyou once moreKindest regardsGillian. From: margaret@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:34:56 -0400Subject: RE: Health Visiting. Hi Gillian I so like your very positive attitude and wanted to share with you my personal experience albeit 40 years ago. Like you when I qualified as a nurse I knew I wanted to work out in primary care and as we did then- I did midwifery and knew even more positively that was the way I wanted to go. Although I tried- I was not considered old enough at 22 to be a health visitor so took a job as a school nurse – very much a nit nurse in those days – and then the opportunity came as I was in the right place to train as a health visitor and my year at University was brilliant and I have never looked back! MY advice is to persevere and look for work in community as a staff nurse either in health visiting or school nursing just to gain a bit of experience and then go for it. There are quite a lot of free events at the moment around health visiting and school nursing as I guess the RCN one was so do look out for these and I am sure like for me you will get there. It is so positive to see people like yourself and Jo using SENATE to get the information you need. My very best wishes and good luck Margaret Buttigeg [mailto: ] On Behalf Of gilly55sunSent: 19 April 2012 11:04 Subject: Health Visiting. Hi everyone,I am new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself.My name is Gillian, I'm a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in Sept.I'm desperate to get into health visiting, I've recently been to the RCN seminar to seek advice and information which I found really useful.I'm a mature student and wish to dedicate my nursing profession to community and public health nursing.However I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy, its a busy time at the moment with management placement looming, but I would appreciate any advice you can offer, whether it be about the role or interviews or stories of your experiences really.I have applied for my first post this week, so fingers crossed, I did think I was at a disadvantage having no post reg experience however I have many life skills to offer and transferable skills from other employment.Good luck to Jo, I was reading your posts, fingers crossed for you, I hope you get your place, maybe you could share your experience when you have been through your interview.Kindest regardsGillian.

Guest guest

Thanks to everyone who has replied, and to Jo and Gilly for bringing their aspirations to Senate: good luck to you both. I wonder if any of the current health visitor students might comment on their recent experience of being interviewed? best wishesOn 22 Apr 2012, at 10:47, Gillian Bevan wrote: Hi Margaret,Thankyou for sharing your experience with me and taking the time to reply to my post.I am already looking for jobs in the community as I don't want to pin all my hopes on getting into the health visiting immediately and as you said some experience would be of benefit.It's extremely difficult at the moment with the job climate the way it is however I need to work.I'm still at the very beginning Margaret so all I can do is keep on trying, besides filling in application forms and writing my CV and personal statement is all good practice and although I'm prepared for some rejection we learn from that also, so like you said if I stay positive and keep trying I will get there.This sight is fantastic for people like Jo and myself and its so nice to know there are people out there who willingly offer their advice and expertise.Thankyou once moreKindest regardsGillian. From: margaret@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:34:56 -0400Subject: RE: Health Visiting. Hi Gillian I so like your very positive attitude and wanted to share with you my personal experience albeit 40 years ago. Like you when I qualified as a nurse I knew I wanted to work out in primary care and as we did then- I did midwifery and knew even more positively that was the way I wanted to go. Although I tried- I was not considered old enough at 22 to be a health visitor so took a job as a school nurse – very much a nit nurse in those days – and then the opportunity came as I was in the right place to train as a health visitor and my year at University was brilliant and I have never looked back! MY advice is to persevere and look for work in community as a staff nurse either in health visiting or school nursing just to gain a bit of experience and then go for it. There are quite a lot of free events at the moment around health visiting and school nursing as I guess the RCN one was so do look out for these and I am sure like for me you will get there. It is so positive to see people like yourself and Jo using SENATE to get the information you need. My very best wishes and good luck Margaret Buttigeg [mailto: ] On Behalf Of gilly55sunSent: 19 April 2012 11:04 Subject: Health Visiting. Hi everyone,I am new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself.My name is Gillian, I'm a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in Sept.I'm desperate to get into health visiting, I've recently been to the RCN seminar to seek advice and information which I found really useful.I'm a mature student and wish to dedicate my nursing profession to community and public health nursing.However I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy, its a busy time at the moment with management placement looming, but I would appreciate any advice you can offer, whether it be about the role or interviews or stories of your experiences really.I have applied for my first post this week, so fingers crossed, I did think I was at a disadvantage having no post reg experience however I have many life skills to offer and transferable skills from other employment.Good luck to Jo, I was reading your posts, fingers crossed for you, I hope you get your place, maybe you could share your experience when you have been through your interview.Kindest regardsGillian. Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Hello,Well I can certainly give comment on my recent experience of interviewing. I’ve worked out that in the last few weeks I have interviewed about 70 students. Phewwww…..Best wishes, Pam From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 22 April 2012 15:14 Subject: Re: Health Visiting. Thanks to everyone who has replied, and to Jo and Gilly for bringing their aspirations to Senate: good luck to you both. I wonder if any of the current health visitor students might comment on their recent experience of being interviewed? best wishes On 22 Apr 2012, at 10:47, Gillian Bevan wrote: Hi Margaret,Thankyou for sharing your experience with me and taking the time to reply to my post.I am already looking for jobs in the community as I don't want to pin all my hopes on getting into the health visiting immediately and as you said some experience would be of benefit.It's extremely difficult at the moment with the job climate the way it is however I need to work.I'm still at the very beginning Margaret so all I can do is keep on trying, besides filling in application forms and writing my CV and personal statement is all good practice and although I'm prepared for some rejection we learn from that also, so like you said if I stay positive and keep trying I will get there.This sight is fantastic for people like Jo and myself and its so nice to know there are people out there who willingly offer their advice and expertise.Thankyou once moreKindest regardsGillian. From: margaret@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:34:56 -0400Subject: RE: Health Visiting. Hi Gillian I so like your very positive attitude and wanted to share with you my personal experience albeit 40 years ago. Like you when I qualified as a nurse I knew I wanted to work out in primary care and as we did then- I did midwifery and knew even more positively that was the way I wanted to go. Although I tried- I was not considered old enough at 22 to be a health visitor so took a job as a school nurse – very much a nit nurse in those days – and then the opportunity came as I was in the right place to train as a health visitor and my year at University was brilliant and I have never looked back! MY advice is to persevere and look for work in community as a staff nurse either in health visiting or school nursing just to gain a bit of experience and then go for it. There are quite a lot of free events at the moment around health visiting and school nursing as I guess the RCN one was so do look out for these and I am sure like for me you will get there. It is so positive to see people like yourself and Jo using SENATE to get the information you need. My very best wishes and good luck Margaret Buttigeg [mailto: ] On Behalf Of gilly55sunSent: 19 April 2012 11:04 Subject: Health Visiting. Hi everyone,I am new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself.My name is Gillian, I'm a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in Sept.I'm desperate to get into health visiting, I've recently been to the RCN seminar to seek advice and information which I found really useful.I'm a mature student and wish to dedicate my nursing profession to community and public health nursing.However I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy, its a busy time at the moment with management placement looming, but I would appreciate any advice you can offer, whether it be about the role or interviews or stories of your experiences really.I have applied for my first post this week, so fingers crossed, I did think I was at a disadvantage having no post reg experience however I have many life skills to offer and transferable skills from other employment.Good luck to Jo, I was reading your posts, fingers crossed for you, I hope you get your place, maybe you could share your experience when you have been through your interview.Kindest regardsGillian. Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Dear Pam

Yes 70 is a lot – well done for

keeping going. I’d be interested to hear about the process and the

stages involved in the selection you’ve contributed to. Also have

there been any areas where the candidates are showing particular strength and

or issues/aspects they seem to find more challenging?

Do any of the candidates opt out of the

process, i.e. change their mind as they go through the selection process?

I’m contributing to some short listing

tomorrow for 188 applicants, we’ve never had so many before – expecting

it to be a long day!

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Pam Schultz

Sent: 22 April 2012 15:54

Subject: RE: Health

Visiting.

Hello,

Well I can certainly give comment on my recent experience of

interviewing. I’ve worked out that in the last few weeks I have

interviewed about 70 students. Phewwww…..

Best wishes, Pam

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Cowley

Sent: 22 April 2012 15:14

Subject: Re: Health

Visiting.

Thanks to

everyone who has replied, and to Jo and Gilly for bringing their aspirations to

Senate: good luck to you both. I wonder if any of the current

health visitor students might comment on their recent experience of being

interviewed?

best wishes

On 22 Apr 2012, at

10:47, Gillian Bevan wrote:

Hi Margaret,

Thankyou for sharing your experience with me and taking the time to reply to my

post.

I am already looking for jobs in the community as I don't want to pin all my

hopes on getting into the health visiting immediately and as you said some

experience would be of benefit.

It's extremely difficult at the moment with the job climate the way it is

however I need to work.

I'm still at the very beginning Margaret so all I can do is keep on trying,

besides filling in application forms and writing my CV and personal

statement is all good practice and although I'm prepared for some rejection we

learn from that also, so like you said if I stay positive and keep trying I

will get there.

This sight is fantastic for people like Jo and myself and its so nice to know

there are people out there who willingly offer their advice and expertise.

Thankyou once more

Kindest regards

Gillian.

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:34:56 -0400

Subject: RE: Health Visiting.

Hi Gillian

I so like

your very positive attitude and wanted to share with you my personal experience

albeit 40 years ago.

Like you

when I qualified as a nurse I knew I wanted to work out in primary care and as

we did then- I did midwifery and knew even more positively that was the way I

wanted to go.

Although I

tried- I was not considered old enough at 22 to be a health visitor so

took a job as a school nurse – very much a nit nurse in those

days – and then the opportunity came as I was in the right place to train

as a health visitor and my year at University was brilliant and I have

never looked back!

MY advice

is to persevere and look for work in community as a staff nurse either in

health visiting or school nursing just to gain a bit of experience

and then go for it.

There are

quite a lot of free events at the moment around health visiting and

school nursing as I guess the RCN one was so do look out for these and I am

sure like for me you will get there.

It is so

positive to see people like yourself and Jo using SENATE to get the information

you need.

My very

best wishes and good luck

Margaret

Buttigeg

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of gilly55sun

Sent: 19 April 2012 11:04

Subject: Health

Visiting.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Gillian, I'm a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in Sept.

I'm desperate to get into health visiting, I've recently been to the RCN

seminar to seek advice and information which I found really useful.

I'm a mature student and wish to dedicate my nursing profession to community

and public health nursing.

However I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy, its a busy time

at the moment with management placement looming, but I would appreciate any

advice you can offer, whether it be about the role or interviews or stories of

your experiences really.

I have applied for my first post this week, so fingers crossed, I did think I

was at a disadvantage having no post reg experience however I have many life

skills to offer and transferable skills from other employment.

Good luck to Jo, I was reading your posts, fingers crossed for you, I hope you

get your place, maybe you could share your experience when you have been

through your interview.

Kindest regards

Gillian.

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0"

align=center>

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 10.0.1424 / Virus Database: 2411/4952 - Release Date: 04/22/12

Guest guest

Hello , Hope your shortlisting went well. At interview one of our questions has been about changes in health and the NHS generally. I have been very surprised at the lack of general knowledge around the Health & Social care bill, and changes generally. They seem fairly blinkered to their own particular issues.Surprisingly many also seem to still get caught out re: EBP and research. Not sure why, it may be that they think about that so widely that it’s difficult pinning them down to something specific. Most are fairly strong on the wider determinants of health and general problem solving; so many do well on the scenarios even though they are unfamiliar with health visiting practice. Very few have changed their mind, and we interview a lot of very enthusiastic potential students. At UCS we were interviewing for 92 places for the current programme, and 107 for 2012-13. Up to now drop out has been very low….so fingers crossed for the last few turns and hurdles! Best Wishes, Pam pam.schultz@... From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of WhittakerSent: 22 April 2012 16:06 Subject: RE: Health Visiting. Dear Pam Yes 70 is a lot – well done for keeping going. I’d be interested to hear about the process and the stages involved in the selection you’ve contributed to. Also have there been any areas where the candidates are showing particular strength and or issues/aspects they seem to find more challenging? Do any of the candidates opt out of the process, i.e. change their mind as they go through the selection process? I’m contributing to some short listing tomorrow for 188 applicants, we’ve never had so many before – expecting it to be a long day! From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Pam SchultzSent: 22 April 2012 15:54 Subject: RE: Health Visiting. Hello,Well I can certainly give comment on my recent experience of interviewing. I’ve worked out that in the last few weeks I have interviewed about 70 students. Phewwww…..Best wishes, Pam From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 22 April 2012 15:14 Subject: Re: Health Visiting. Thanks to everyone who has replied, and to Jo and Gilly for bringing their aspirations to Senate: good luck to you both. I wonder if any of the current health visitor students might comment on their recent experience of being interviewed? best wishes On 22 Apr 2012, at 10:47, Gillian Bevan wrote: Hi Margaret,Thankyou for sharing your experience with me and taking the time to reply to my post.I am already looking for jobs in the community as I don't want to pin all my hopes on getting into the health visiting immediately and as you said some experience would be of benefit.It's extremely difficult at the moment with the job climate the way it is however I need to work.I'm still at the very beginning Margaret so all I can do is keep on trying, besides filling in application forms and writing my CV and personal statement is all good practice and although I'm prepared for some rejection we learn from that also, so like you said if I stay positive and keep trying I will get there.This sight is fantastic for people like Jo and myself and its so nice to know there are people out there who willingly offer their advice and expertise.Thankyou once moreKindest regardsGillian. From: margaret@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:34:56 -0400Subject: RE: Health Visiting. Hi Gillian I so like your very positive attitude and wanted to share with you my personal experience albeit 40 years ago. Like you when I qualified as a nurse I knew I wanted to work out in primary care and as we did then- I did midwifery and knew even more positively that was the way I wanted to go. Although I tried- I was not considered old enough at 22 to be a health visitor so took a job as a school nurse – very much a nit nurse in those days – and then the opportunity came as I was in the right place to train as a health visitor and my year at University was brilliant and I have never looked back! MY advice is to persevere and look for work in community as a staff nurse either in health visiting or school nursing just to gain a bit of experience and then go for it. There are quite a lot of free events at the moment around health visiting and school nursing as I guess the RCN one was so do look out for these and I am sure like for me you will get there. It is so positive to see people like yourself and Jo using SENATE to get the information you need. My very best wishes and good luck Margaret Buttigeg [mailto: ] On Behalf Of gilly55sunSent: 19 April 2012 11:04 Subject: Health Visiting. Hi everyone,I am new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself.My name is Gillian, I'm a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in Sept.I'm desperate to get into health visiting, I've recently been to the RCN seminar to seek advice and information which I found really useful.I'm a mature student and wish to dedicate my nursing profession to community and public health nursing.However I am under no illusions that this is going to be easy, its a busy time at the moment with management placement looming, but I would appreciate any advice you can offer, whether it be about the role or interviews or stories of your experiences really.I have applied for my first post this week, so fingers crossed, I did think I was at a disadvantage having no post reg experience however I have many life skills to offer and transferable skills from other employment.Good luck to Jo, I was reading your posts, fingers crossed for you, I hope you get your place, maybe you could share your experience when you have been through your interview.Kindest regardsGillian. Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn size=1 width= " 100% " noshade color= " #a0a0a0 " align=center> No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 10.0.1424 / Virus Database: 2411/4952 - Release Date: 04/22/12