RemedySpot.com

Re: new CNO to Commissioning Board

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

To tell the truth, , I hope Viv does assume responsibility for both HVs and SNs. It's never possible to predict with certainty but I have a "feeling" Viv is "a safe bet" and I do think the logic of an external profile of continuous pre-natal through to 19 makes sense and is likely to create a stronger conceptual profile of service delivery for children and young people. When I say "makes sense", I mean that in terms of public and external perspectives....................on service delivery. I am not arguing subtleties of skill, training, or professional competence here..............just the need for commissioners to be led by the hand............so to speak................in the first stage.

Apologies for the "stream of consciousness". I'm on the Atlantic Ocean in a spa at the moment..................

Diane

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 9:27 AM

Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board

Dear all According to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts to replace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (in my mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissioned by Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them.

best wishes

< /div>

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

HI all I saw this to and do not know Jane so am not aware of her background etc. There has I understand been some concern about who will take responsibility for health visiting but I am not sure it is definite that Health Visiting is going to the commissioning boards. My original understanding was that from April 2013 school nursing would be commissioned by the local authority but not directly employed by them and then in 2015 – health visiting would join them. In the light of the recent publications about health visiting and school nursing – it seems strange that the two professions would not be commissioned by the same group. So we will see if anything has changed although I think it may still be in the melting pot and is very unclear. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 19 March 2012 13:27 Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board Dear allAccording to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts to replace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (in my mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissioned by Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them. best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

That is my understanding that HV's will be commissioned by public health. I would assume Viv then maintained clinical leadership.It is interesting Viv and Jane are Directors of Nursing not Chief Nurses does that mean there is no longer a Chief Nurse? If so is there no longer a CMO a CSO etc? Or is Jane chief nurse commissioning and Viv chief nurse provider services but why is Viv referred to as Director in the school nurse paper?Not that it really matters as an individual I am just delighted we have Viv fighting the corner for public health!!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:41:47 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: new CNO to Commissioning Board HI all I saw this to and do not know Jane so am not aware of her background etc. There has I understand been some concern about who will take responsibility for health visiting but I am not sure it is definite that Health Visiting is going to the commissioning boards. My original understanding was that from April 2013 school nursing would be commissioned by the local authority but not directly employed by them and then in 2015 – health visiting would join them. In the light of the recent publications about health visiting and school nursing – it seems strange that the two professions would not be commissioned by the same group. So we will see if anything has changed although I think it may still be in the melting pot and is very unclear. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 19 March 2012 13:27 Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board Dear allAccording to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts to replace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (in my mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissioned by Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them. best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Thanks Liz and Margaret - I think you are right and I should remembered all then hullabaloo when colleagues were afraid that commissioning by public health England (linked with local authorities) would mean health visitors being employed by local government, which is not on the cards. I hope we keep Viv, it would certainly make sense. Yes, Liz, you are right, these are the most senior nursing posts; still supposed to be the same level as the old CNO but I am not convinced they are. Don't know what is happening to CMO etc.best wishesOn 20 Mar 2012, at 07:00, liz.plastow@... wrote: That is my understanding that HV's will be commissioned by public health. I would assume Viv then maintained clinical leadership.It is interesting Viv and Jane are Directors of Nursing not Chief Nurses does that mean there is no longer a Chief Nurse? If so is there no longer a CMO a CSO etc? Or is Jane chief nurse commissioning and Viv chief nurse provider services but why is Viv referred to as Director in the school nurse paper?Not that it really matters as an individual I am just delighted we have Viv fighting the corner for public health!!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:41:47 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: new CNO to Commissioning Board HI all I saw this to and do not know Jane so am not aware of her background etc. There has I understand been some concern about who will take responsibility for health visiting but I am not sure it is definite that Health Visiting is going to the commissioning boards. My original understanding was that from April 2013 school nursing would be commissioned by the local authority but not directly employed by them and then in 2015 – health visiting would join them. In the light of the recent publications about health visiting and school nursing – it seems strange that the two professions would not be commissioned by the same group. So we will see if anything has changed although I think it may still be in the melting pot and is very unclear. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 19 March 2012 13:27 Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board Dear allAccording to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts to replace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (in my mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissioned by Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them. best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Dear AllI think Jane will be a popular choice for CNO on the commissioning board, she is very nice and highly regarded. As I understand it Viv (Director of Public Health Nursing) will definitely be continuing responsibility for health visiting, indeed for everything related to public health and nursing/health visiting/school nursing. However they will work closely together with the commissioning role based in Leeds and the public health one in London. Until health visiting is in a stronger position its commissioning will go through the national commissioning board. Commissioning of school nursing as we know is going to local authority through public health, but not employment. Health visiting expected to follow on that route after 2015 unless anything changes.Hope that is helpful!RegardsCheryllPS I notice that Tony Hazell, Chair has just stepped down from NMC!From: Liz Plastow <liz.plastow@...>Reply- < >Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 07:00:36 +0000 < >Subject: Re: new CNO to Commissioning Board

That is my understanding that HV's will be commissioned by public health. I would assume Viv then maintained clinical leadership.It is interesting Viv and Jane are Directors of Nursing not Chief Nurses does that mean there is no longer a Chief Nurse? If so is there no longer a CMO a CSO etc? Or is Jane chief nurse commissioning and Viv chief nurse provider services but why is Viv referred to as Director in the school nurse paper?Not that it really matters as an individual I am just delighted we have Viv fighting the corner for public health!!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>

Sender:

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:41:47 -0400 < >Reply

Subject: RE: new CNO to Commissioning Board

HI all I saw this to and do not know Jane so am not aware of her background etc. There has I understand been some concern about who will take responsibility for health visiting but I am not sure it is definite that Health Visiting is going to the commissioning boards. My original understanding was that from April 2013 school nursing would be commissioned by the local authority but not directly employed by them and then in 2015 – health visiting would join them. In the light of the recent publications about health visiting and school nursing – it seems strange that the two professions would not be commissioned by the same group. So we will see if anything has changed although I think it may still be in the melting pot and is very unclear. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 19 March 2012 13:27 Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board Dear allAccording to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts to replace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (in my mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissioned by Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them. best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Thanks Cheryll, very helpfulOn 20 Mar 2012, at 12:43, Cheryll wrote: Dear AllI think Jane will be a popular choice for CNO on the commissioning board, she is very nice and highly regarded. As I understand it Viv (Director of Public Health Nursing) will definitely be continuing responsibility for health visiting, indeed for everything related to public health and nursing/health visiting/school nursing. However they will work closely together with the commissioning role based in Leeds and the public health one in London. Until health visiting is in a stronger position its commissioning will go through the national commissioning board. Commissioning of school nursing as we know is going to local authority through public health, but not employment. Health visiting expected to follow on that route after 2015 unless anything changes.Hope that is helpful!RegardsCheryllPS I notice that Tony Hazell, Chair has just stepped down from NMC!From: Liz Plastow <liz.plastow@...>Reply- < >Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 07:00:36 +0000 < >Subject: Re: new CNO to Commissioning Board That is my understanding that HV's will be commissioned by public health. I would assume Viv then maintained clinical leadership.It is interesting Viv and Jane are Directors of Nursing not Chief Nurses does that mean there is no longer a Chief Nurse? If so is there no longer a CMO a CSO etc? Or is Jane chief nurse commissioning and Viv chief nurse provider services but why is Viv referred to as Director in the school nurse paper?Not that it really matters as an individual I am just delighted we have Viv fighting the corner for public health!!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:41:47 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: new CNO to Commissioning Board HI all I saw this to and do not know Jane so am not aware of her background etc. There has I understand been some concern about who will take responsibility for health visiting but I am not sure it is definite that Health Visiting is going to the commissioning boards. My original understanding was that from April 2013 school nursing would be commissioned by the local authority but not directly employed by them and then in 2015 – health visiting would join them. In the light of the recent publications about health visiting and school nursing – it seems strange that the two professions would not be commissioned by the same group. So we will see if anything has changed although I think it may still be in the melting pot and is very unclear. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 19 March 2012 13:27 Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board Dear allAccording to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts to replace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (in my mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissioned by Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them. best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

I don’t think there are any plans to change the CMO arrangements (they were changed several years ago anyway when I think Sir Bruce Keogh was appointed to oversee

clinical delivery with the CMO post maintaining its PH oversight). From memory, the CMO post has always been to advise govt as a whole and is the more senior, whereas the CNO advises the SoS for Health et al.

On Behalf Of Cowley

Sent: 20 March 2012 09:29

Subject: Re: new CNO to Commissioning Board

Thanks Liz and Margaret - I think you are right and I should remembered all then hullabaloo when colleagues were afraid that commissioning by public health England (linked with local authorities) would mean health visitors being employed by local government,

which is not on the cards. I hope we keep Viv, it would certainly make sense.

Yes, Liz, you are right, these are the most senior nursing posts; still supposed to be the same level as the old CNO but I am not convinced they are. Don't know what is happening to CMO etc.

best wishes

On 20 Mar 2012, at 07:00,

liz.plastow@... wrote:

That is my understanding that HV's will be commissioned by public health. I would assume Viv then maintained clinical leadership.

It is interesting Viv and Jane are Directors of Nursing not Chief Nurses does that mean there is no longer a Chief Nurse? If so is there no longer a CMO a CSO etc? Or is Jane chief nurse commissioning and Viv chief nurse provider services but why is Viv referred

to as Director in the school nurse paper?

Not that it really matters as an individual I am just delighted we have Viv fighting the corner for public health!!

Liz

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Sender:

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:41:47 -0400

< >

Subject: RE: new CNO to Commissioning Board

HI all

I saw this to and do not know Jane so am not aware of her background etc.

There has I understand been some concern about who will take responsibility for health visiting but I am not sure it is definite that Health Visiting is going to the commissioning boards.

My original understanding was that from April 2013 school nursing would be commissioned by the local authority but not directly employed by them and then in 2015 – health visiting would join them. In the light

of the recent publications about health visiting and school nursing – it seems strange that the two professions would not be commissioned by the same group.

So we will see if anything has changed although I think it may still be in the melting pot and is very unclear.

Margaret

On Behalf Of Cowley

Sent: 19 March 2012 13:27

Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board

Dear all

According to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts to

replace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (in

my mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissioned

by Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them.

best wishes

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee,

registered in England (reg. no. 986729). Registered office:

Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS.

Guest guest

Thanks lizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Meerabeau <E.Meerabeau@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:00:49 +0000' '< >Reply Subject: RE: new CNO to Commissioning Board I don’t think there are any plans to change the CMO arrangements (they were changed several years ago anyway when I think Sir Bruce Keogh was appointed to overseeclinical delivery with the CMO post maintaining its PH oversight). From memory, the CMO post has always been to advise govt as a whole and is the more senior, whereas the CNO advises the SoS for Health et al. From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of CowleySent: 20 March 2012 09:29 Subject: Re: new CNO to Commissioning Board Thanks Liz and Margaret - I think you are right and I should remembered all then hullabaloo when colleagues were afraid that commissioning by public health England (linked with local authorities) would mean health visitors being employed by local government,which is not on the cards. I hope we keep Viv, it would certainly make sense. Yes, Liz, you are right, these are the most senior nursing posts; still supposed to be the same level as the old CNO but I am not convinced they are. Don't know what is happening to CMO etc. best wishes On 20 Mar 2012, at 07:00, liz.plastow@... wrote: That is my understanding that HV's will be commissioned by public health. I would assume Viv then maintained clinical leadership.It is interesting Viv and Jane are Directors of Nursing not Chief Nurses does that mean there is no longer a Chief Nurse? If so is there no longer a CMO a CSO etc? Or is Jane chief nurse commissioning and Viv chief nurse provider services but why is Viv referredto as Director in the school nurse paper?Not that it really matters as an individual I am just delighted we have Viv fighting the corner for public health!!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:41:47 -0400 < >Reply Subject: RE: new CNO to Commissioning Board HI all I saw this to and do not know Jane so am not aware of her background etc. There has I understand been some concern about who will take responsibility for health visiting but I am not sure it is definite that Health Visiting is going to the commissioning boards. My original understanding was that from April 2013 school nursing would be commissioned by the local authority but not directly employed by them and then in 2015 – health visiting would join them. In the lightof the recent publications about health visiting and school nursing – it seems strange that the two professions would not be commissioned by the same group. So we will see if anything has changed although I think it may still be in the melting pot and is very unclear. Margaret From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of CowleySent: 19 March 2012 13:27 Subject: new CNO to Commissioning Board Dear allAccording to HSJ (couldn't find it on DH website) Jane Cummings, currently Nursing Director for NHS North of England, previously North West, has been appointed as chief nursing officer to the NHS Commissioning Board. This is the second of the two posts toreplace the former single CNO post held last by Beasley, who retired last year. Viv was appointed at the end of last year as Nurse Director for Public Health and to Public Health England. The interesting thing to watch, is whether Viv (inmy mind, the most obvious person) or Jane eventually assume responsibility for health visiting, since the eventual plan for HVs to be commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Board. I think (stand to be corrected here) that school nurses are to be commissionedby Public Health England, making it more obvious that Viv should continue responsibility for them. best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee,registered in England (reg. no. 986729). Registered office:Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS.