RemedySpot.com

School Nursing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes, very helpful,thank you Dianebest wishesOn 31 Oct 2011, at 19:56, reeta chaudhry wrote: thank you for the update Diane From: Diane DeBell <ddebell@...>Subject: School Nursing Date: Sunday, 30 October, 2011, 7:42 Dear Colleagues, First, a great welcome to 's articles. I've had a note requesting news about the work that is currently being undertaken on behalf of school nurses. Please consider the following as a brief and only a preliminary update on the current progress in the development of school nurse commissioning and the current creation of an appropriate school nurse model. The CNO is leading the development of a model for commissioning school nursing and we anticipate publication by December if all goes well. The model itself is built on a continuum of service delivery for public health practice that fits the Healthy Child Programme (0 - 5) (5 - 19). In other words, the health visitor/school nurse professional delivery models will translate into a continuum -- A Health Visitor to School Nurse Pathway. That continuum is very welcome. We repeatedly talk about public health nursing. We now need to articulate what we mean for the school age child and young person when we use that language. It is public health practice that is the focus of both health visiting and school nursing. Clarifying the nature of child health need at different age levels is the distinguishing factor between services that are delivered in the foundation years (prenatal to school entry) and in the school years and, of course, during the adolescent period. The model currently near completion spells out that continuum and health visiting and school nursing are working together to ensure that their models are consistent and mutually supportive. In keeping with the Healthy Child Programme, the school nurse model is based on a universal service with an offering of stepped intensity: Universal; Universal Plus; and then Universal Partnership Plus. What does this mean? Quite simply, the challenge is first to ensure that there is smooth transition for children's health care at school entry, at Year 6, and at the point of entry to adulthood. But it is also critical that services are matched to intensity and complexity of need. This is a preventive approach and, as such, it is a public health model. It also places school nurses in a relational context with other services. That is an important point to make. The need for clarity in describing what it is that school nursing provides is probably fairly critical at the moment because of the shortage of staff and the severe strain on resources. If school nurse services are to be commissioned (by either CCGs or LAs), we do need to be very clear about what it is that the service is providing -- what is the model that is offered. And the intention is to ensure that the school nurse model is consistent across the country. We have considerable evidence of the kinds and nature of health need when we talk about child health needs during the school years to age 19 but we also need to be able to talk about evidenced outcomes that follow on from school nurse interventions. We also need greater clarity about the evidence base for practice. The most recent evidence base for school nursing was published by the CPHVA in 2005. That was six years ago. In order to ensure that school nursing is made sufficiently attractive to be commissioned for delivery, it is critical that the health visitor to school nurse pathway is clearly articulated and it is critical that the school nurse model that is offered for commissioning is meeting the articulated needs of children, young people, and their families as well as the needs of communities and schools. This is not a simple task. Thus far, the model being developed is being derived from experts in the field; from young people's input; from expertise sent to us from Senate as well as from other colleagues; from models of service delivery in various parts of England; and from debate and negotiation at the national level. This is a critical moment for school nursing and it could mean a turning point in the public profile of school nursing. We have valuable recent (summer 2011) input from a very large sample of young people about their needs for school nurse services and that input is informing the development of the model. In addition, the model is being developed such that it reflects young people's wishes about modes of access and methods of communication. We need further evidence from families and from young children. I personally would anticipate that schools and local authorities are likely to make their own wishes known. There is more work to be done in order to ensure that the needs of families and communities are reflected in the model. You are very welcome to send any data or research directly to me or to use Senate as a point of discussion. I will ensure that your advice gets back to the committees that are working on both commissioning and on the model. All v good wishes, Diane nbsp; & n bsp; & nb sp; & nbs p; ; ************************************************************Professor Diane DeBellEmeritus Professor of Policy in Health and Social CareAnglia Ruskin University44+(0)1603 50150844+(0)7801 262454ddebell@... Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

It was on the Today BBC 4 early morning news programme about School Nurses being able to contact pupils direct by mobile text and pupils not having to go to the nurse via a teacher first. Also School Nurses could speak at School Assembly. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Diane DeBellSent: 12 March 2012 08:59 Subject: School Nursing Dear Senators, I am writing from the United States but I understand that the new Department of Health School Nursing Model goes " live " in the press today. Keep " an eye out " for news. All v best, Diane (DeBell)Emeritus Professor of Policy in Health & Social CareAnglia Ruskin UniversityUnited KingdomVisiting Professor of Policy in Health & Social CareElon UniversityUnited States07801-262-45400-1-336-675-1667ddebell@...

Guest guest

I heard it on the Radio talking about accessing school nurses by text and apps nothing about any increase in numbers or the fact there are relatively few to text! LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: " Coles" <lisa@...>Sender: Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:41:18 -0000< >Reply Subject: RE: School Nursing It was on the Today BBC 4 early morning news programme about School Nurses being able to contact pupils direct by mobile text and pupils not having to go to the nurse via a teacher first. Also School Nurses could speak at School Assembly. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Diane DeBellSent: 12 March 2012 08:59 Subject: School Nursing Dear Senators, I am writing from the United States but I understand that the new Department of Health School Nursing Model goes " live " in the press today. Keep " an eye out " for news. All v best, Diane (DeBell)Emeritus Professor of Policy in Health & Social CareAnglia Ruskin UniversityUnited KingdomVisiting Professor of Policy in Health & Social CareElon UniversityUnited States07801-262-45400-1-336-675-1667ddebell@...

Guest guest

Hi Liz There are not going to be numbers attached like the HV but I think we may see is that as HV numbers increase – it will be clear SN ones need to as well as you cannot just stop at 5 years of age. Early Intervention and prevention goes on being important. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of liz.plastow@...Sent: 12 March 2012 10:10 Subject: Re: School Nursing I heard it on the Radio talking about accessing school nurses by text and apps nothing about any increase in numbers or the fact there are relatively few to text! LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: " Coles " <lisa@...> Sender: Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:41:18 -0000< >Reply Subject: RE: School Nursing It was on the Today BBC 4 early morning news programme about School Nurses being able to contact pupils direct by mobile text and pupils not having to go to the nurse via a teacher first. Also School Nurses could speak at School Assembly. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Diane DeBellSent: 12 March 2012 08:59 Subject: School Nursing Dear Senators, I am writing from the United States but I understand that the new Department of Health School Nursing Model goes " live " in the press today. Keep " an eye out " for news. All v best, Diane (DeBell)Emeritus Professor of Policy in Health & Social CareAnglia Ruskin UniversityUnited KingdomVisiting Professor of Policy in Health & Social CareElon UniversityUnited States07801-262-45400-1-336-675-1667ddebell@...

Guest guest

Thank you so much, Margaret! Yes, please, can Senate track the news on this???

I'm enjoying astonishing weather here but will be back at the end of May -- not long now.

Lots of good wishes to everyone,

Diane

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 5:36 AM

Subject: RE: School Nursing

Hi Diane

Was on the breakfast news this morning but seems to have been taken over by other events on the other news.

Sounded good so will look out for the Implementation plan and the care pathways which I guess will be available on the web today/tomorrow.

Hope you are having a good time and catch up on your return.

Margaret

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Diane DeBellSent: 12 March 2012 08:59 Subject: School Nursing

Dear Senators,

I am writing from the United States but I understand that the new Department of Health School Nursing Model goes "live" in the press today.

Keep "an eye out" for news.

All v best,

Diane (DeBell)

Emeritus Professor of Policy in Health & Social Care

Anglia Ruskin University

United Kingdom

Visiting Professor of Policy in Health & Social Care

Elon University

United States

07801-262-454

00-1-336-675-1667

ddebell@...

Guest guest

Thanks Margaret that was the point I was making what is the point of texting if there is no capacity to respond!The workforce is extremely variable across the Country some areas fairing reasonably well others where the service is decimated!

Liz On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> wrote:

Hi Liz  

There are not going to be numbers attached like the HV but I think we may see is that as HV numbers increase – it will be clear SN ones need to as well as you cannot just stop at 5 years of age.  Early Intervention and prevention goes on being important.

Margaret

Sent: 12 March 2012 10:10 Subject: Re: School Nursing

I heard it on the Radio talking about accessing school nurses by text and apps nothing about any increase in numbers or the fact there are relatively few to text!

LizSent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:41:18 -0000< >

Reply Subject: RE: School Nursing

It was on the Today BBC 4 early morning news programme about School Nurses being able to contact pupils direct by mobile text and pupils not having to go to the nurse via a teacher first. Also School Nurses could speak at School Assembly.

Sent: 12 March 2012 08:59 Subject: School Nursing

Dear Senators, 

I am writing from the United States but I understand that the new Department of Health School Nursing Model goes " live " in the press today. 

Keep " an eye out " for news. All v best,

Diane (DeBell)Emeritus Professor of Policy in Health & Social Care

Anglia Ruskin UniversityUnited KingdomVisiting Professor of Policy in Health & Social Care

Elon UniversityUnited States07801-262-45400-1-336-675-1667

ddebell@...   

Guest guest

Colleagues,

The full and detailed work is now on the CNO's website. There is also a press release but I feel that it is important for colleagues to read and study the report carefully before commenting. It is a complex piece of work and it has been in "the making" for more than a year.

We will not do school nursing any favours if we respond before we have reflected on the document. Senate has an important role to play in the next stages.

All v good wishes,

Diane