RemedySpot.com

RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think?best wishesOn 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: '"Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way." I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Me too, perhaps you could put it out on Senate.Kind regardsCheryllFrom: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>Reply- < >Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:12:57 +0000 < >Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think?best wishesOn 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: '"Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way." I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Yes, please, Margaret.

I am writing from a university in the United States and have just left the work on School Nurse Modeling with Nicholson. I think that Committee has achieved some excellent work and now is exactly the right moment for Margaret's continued help and assistance.

Hope everyone is well in the UK. I gather there has been some snow in England as well as elsewhere. Afraid it's a soft and lovely 68 degrees F here.

All good wishes,

Diane

Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 12:58 PM

Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

HI

I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history.

I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years.

It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977!

Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again!

Margaret

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/

< /o>

The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: '"Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way." I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and sup portive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!).

By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, w hich is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications!

best wishes

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Hi Margaret,

We'd be very pleased to receive your paper at CP can you send it in to me when

you have finished it please?

Best wishes,

Jane.

Sent from my iPod

On 7 Feb 2012, at 23:36, " Diane DeBell " <ddebell@...> wrote:

I would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document .

Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf when

folk who downloaded the document would send some money to the author or a charity ?

My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories where

women were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and

the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so.

Is that part of the HV history ?

Malcolm

Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12

Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without

going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date

(although, of course it is ageing again now!).

But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning

and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have

'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think?

best wishes

On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote:

Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!

Liz

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Sender:

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500

< >

HI

I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history.

I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how

little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years.

It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they

go back to 1977!

Margaret

On Behalf Of Cowley

Sent: 07 February 2012 17:40

Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and

counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/

The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from

the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the

rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow

her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!).

By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst

many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor

and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal

Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health

visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back

for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter

suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications!

best wishes

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:

to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

********************************************************************************************************************

Hi Malcolm I like your honesty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it. Re the factories – I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the history is that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes. I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are not always welcomed by their organisations. We need to change that! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 08 February 2012 16:15 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document . Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf when folk who downloaded the document would send some money to the author or a charity ? My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories wherewomen were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so. Is that part of the HV history ? Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail********************************************************************************************************************

Hi I have encouraged our students at University Campus Suffolk to link into Senate and I know that many would appreciate access to the document. Kind regards From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Cheryll Sent: 07 February 2012 22:07 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Me too, perhaps you could put it out on Senate. Kind regards Cheryll From: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>Reply-< >Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:12:57 +0000< >Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn University Campus Suffolk is the trading name of University Campus Suffolk Ltd. Registered in England and Wales, company number: 05078498.

Registered Address: Waterfront Building, Neptune Quay, Ipswich, IP4 1QJ

Thanks all for the replys – I need to just do an updating and will then post it on SENATE Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GordonSent: 08 February 2012 16:39 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi I have encouraged our students at University Campus Suffolk to link into Senate and I know that many would appreciate access to the document. Kind regards From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Cheryll Sent: 07 February 2012 22:07 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Me too, perhaps you could put it out on Senate. Kind regards Cheryll From: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>Reply-< >Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:12:57 +0000< >Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn University Campus Suffolk is the trading name of University Campus Suffolk Ltd. Registered in England and Wales, company number: 05078498.Registered Address: Waterfront Building, Neptune Quay, Ipswich, IP4 1QJ

Hi MalcolmYes, I think Margaret's right - but in the early part of the twentieth century, a lot of sanitary inspectors were also qualified as and used as health visitors. They were the fore-runners of today's environmental health officers, which is where the factory inspections came in (and also where the CPHVA started as the 'Women Sanitary Inspectors' Association'. Because the world was so gender divided then, only women could inspect women's 'facilities,' and of course there was no way that men could go into the home to talk to women about their family/children when the menfolk were absent, so that was how the women's work developed. However, there are clear suggestions that the shift to health visiting was association with a reduction in status and power. Lots of interesting stuff there!kind regardsOn 8 Feb 2012, at 16:14, Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT) wrote: I would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document . Using the principle of the "honesty box" could the document be made available as a pdf when folk who downloaded the document would send some money to the author or a charity ? My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories where women were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so. Is that part of the HV history ? Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...] Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday! Liz Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange From: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < > Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Cowley Sent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: '"Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way." I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowley sarahcowley183@... http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowley sarahcowley183@... http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ******************************************************************************************************************** This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it. Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation. NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail ******************************************************************************************************************** Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Hi Margaret,

I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and children.

As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly that in their opinion it was a mistake for Govt. to suggest

that the NHS should lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social services , cultural services etc etc. They stated in the document that Local Govt.

should lead on health promotion.

With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so diminished perhaps this is too much to hope for?

Malcolm

Sent: 08 February 2012 16:23

Hi Malcolm

I like your honesty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it.

Re the factories – I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the history

is that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes.

I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are not always welcomed by

their organisations. We need to change that!

Margaret

On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)

Sent: 08 February 2012 16:15

Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf when

folk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a charity ?

My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories where

women were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and

the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so.

< div>

Malcolm

[ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]

I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without

going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date

(although, of course it is ageing again now!).

But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting thr ough

their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate

situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think?

best wishes

On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45,

liz.plastow@... wrote:

Liz

Sender:

< >

HI

I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history.

I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing

and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years.

It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost

in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977!

& nbsp;

Margaret

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Cowley

< /a>

The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health

visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/

The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable

working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification

of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were

around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive

individuals!).

By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular

initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as

a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially

under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit

form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some

of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the

CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications!

< /div>

best wishes

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit

www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

Hi

Just needed to say a word.

We are currently training 92 health visitor and school nurse students at

University Campus Suffolk and will be recruiting possibly a hundred students for

September. Everyody is working very hard in practice and in the classroom to

facilitate the learning of these students because we believe the increased

numbers of public health nurses is going to have a significant positive impact

in East Anglia in regard to delivery of the public health service to families.

With the growth in workforce I would see senior health visitors and school

nurses being involved in the strategic planning and delivery of public health

services. It is a really exciting time for all and students, practice teachers

and mentors have embraced the challenge for a better future.

I appreciate this is being mirrored Nationally and we should all celebrate what

is happening in the profession.

So I really feel that it is not a hope Malcolm but a definite outcome.

Regards

Chris

PCT)

Sent: Thu 09/02/2012 09:28

Hi Margaret,

I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and

preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and

children.

As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior

folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly

that in their opinion it was a mistake for Govt. to suggest that the NHS should

lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are

within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social

services , cultural services etc etc. They stated in the document that Local

Govt. should lead on health promotion.

With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to

think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so

diminished perhaps this is too much to hope for?

Malcolm

Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]

Hi Malcolm

I like your honesty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I

have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it.

Re the factories - I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts

early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but

what is clear about the history is that the early Hv were very powerful woman

and were able to get things done and make changes.

I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that

has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs

and are not always welcomed by their organisations. We need to change that!

Margaret

Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)

Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as

a pdf when

folk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a

charity ?

My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor

would enter factories where

women were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I

believe they had the power and

the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve

matters when asked/ordered to do so.

< div>

Malcolm

Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]

I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all

in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too

many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the

'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both

mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is

considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977

original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is

ageing again now!).

But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if

they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of

the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting thr ough

their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a

'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no

research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it

to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is

clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite

a few students on Senate - what do you think?

best wishes

On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote:

Liz

Sender:

<

<mailto:@yah%20oogroups.com> >

HI

I saw this to and though it is great to see -but it shows the ignorance about

the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history.

I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to

discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school

nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a

good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years.

It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when

most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with

Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977!

& nbsp;

Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome - I just need to update it again!

Margaret

Of Cowley

< /a>

<mailto: >

The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles,

which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment

as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting:

150 years and counting.' See

http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/

The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to

the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in

1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women'

from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and

children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and

brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the

purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She

had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself

wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty,

thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people

how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then,

they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive'

(although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!).

By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment

of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health

visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst

many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often

cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly

thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as

a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased

through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth

Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to

the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which

is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was

when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities

being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health

visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although

(we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than

specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly

traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but

certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service.

However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well

established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that

was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in

that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was

considered improper for official communications!

< /div>

best wishes

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn <http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn>

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

********************************************************************************\

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended

recipient please inform the

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take

any action in reliance on its contents:

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in

England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information

with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed

anywhere

********************************************************************************\

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended

recipient please inform the

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take

any action in reliance on its contents:

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in

England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information

with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed

anywhere

University Campus Suffolk is the trading name of University Campus Suffolk Ltd.

Registered in England and Wales, company number: 05078498.

Registered Address: Waterfront Building, Neptune Quay, Ipswich, IP4 1QJ

Hi Malcolm I remember that document to – the old Health Education Authority did some good work and maybe as you say it may come back with the Health and Well Being Boards. Those as long in the tooth as me in terms of Health visiting and School Nursing also remember being part of the local authority and local council so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 09 February 2012 09:29 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Margaret, I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and children. As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly that in their opinion it was a mistake for Govt. to suggest that the NHS should lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social services , cultural services etc etc. They stated in the document that Local Govt. should lead on health promotion. With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so diminished perhaps this is too much to hope for? Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]Sent: 08 February 2012 16:23 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Malcolm I like your honesty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it. Re the factories – I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the history is that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes. I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are not always welcomed by their organisations. We need to change that! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 08 February 2012 16:15 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document . Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf when folk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a charity ? My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories wherewomen were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so. Is that part of the HV history ?< div> Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsI'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting thr ough their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! & nbsp;Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 < /a>Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! < /div> best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail********************************************************************************************************************

Hi How good to get such a positive response and I know you are all working very hard. It would be great if we could get the HV and SN leadership programme and the restorative supervision we are delivering across other SHAs into East of England area. I know some who I have talked to there are busy working on this and we hope it will end in a positive way as it is clear many of the senior Hv and Sn, as you describe, need a boost and something for them. They also need to see that they have a role in the strategic planning and delivery of public health services and many we find once they get a little help – move forward very quickly with this. Regards Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GordonSent: 09 February 2012 09:59 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Just needed to say a word. We are currently training 92 health visitor and school nurse students at University Campus Suffolk and will be recruiting possibly a hundred students for September. Everyody is working very hard in practice and in the classroom to facilitate the learning of these students because we believe the increased numbers of public health nurses is going to have a significant positive impact in East Anglia in regard to delivery of the public health service to families. With the growth in workforce I would see senior health visitors and school nurses being involved in the strategic planning and delivery of public health services. It is a really exciting time for all and students, practice teachers and mentors have embraced the challenge for a better future. I appreciate this is being mirrored Nationally and we should all celebrate what is happening in the profession. So I really feel that it is not a hope Malcolm but a definite outcome. Regards From: on behalf of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: Thu 09/02/2012 09:28 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Margaret, I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and children. As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly that in their opinion it was a mistake for Govt. to suggest that the NHS should lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social services , cultural services etc etc. They stated in the document that Local Govt. should lead on health promotion. With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so diminished perhaps this is too much to hope for? Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]Sent: 08 February 2012 16:23 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Malcolm I like your honesty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it. Re the factories – I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the history is that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes. I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are not always welcomed by their organisations. We need to change that! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 08 February 2012 16:15 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document . Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf when folk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a charity ? My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories wherewomen were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so. Is that part of the HV history ?< div> Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsI'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting thr ough their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! & nbsp;Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 < /a>Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! < /div> best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail********************************************************************************************************************

hi Senate,

I have a student that is working on her research proposal currently, she hopes to do a comparison of before and after Health Visitor Implementation Plan to investigate whether the clients notice a difference in our service.

Does anybody know what the national outcomes/ health indicators are that we will be measured against? Or even what people are doing locally to prove effectiveness.

Thank you in advance

Aisling (HV Camberley)

Sent: 09 February 2012 12:22

Hi Malcolm

I remember that document to – the old Health Education Authority did some good work and maybe as you say it may come back with the Health and Well Being Boards.

Those as long in the tooth as me in terms of Health visiting and School Nursing also remember being part of the local authority and local council so it will be interesting to see how it all

pans out.

Margaret

On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)

Sent: 09 February 2012 09:29

Hi Margaret,

I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and children.

As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly that in their opinion it was a mistake

for Govt. to suggest that the NHS should lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social services , cultural services etc etc. They stated i n the document

that Local Govt. should lead on health promotion.

With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so diminished perhaps this is too much

to hope for?

Malcolm

[ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]

Hi Malcolm

I like your hones ty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it.

Re the factories – I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the history

is that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes.

I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are no t always welcomed by

their organisations. We need to change that!

Margaret

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)

Subject: RE: [sENATE-H VSN] CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

folk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a charity ?

< div>

Malcolm

[ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahc owley183@...]

I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very

short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original,

and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!).

But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused

on getting thr ough their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it

to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think?

best wishes

On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45,

liz.plastow@... wrote:

Liz

Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>

Sender:

Date:

Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500

<@.com>

ReplyTo:

Subject:

RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations

HI

I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history.

I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing

and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years.

It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost

in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977!

& nbsp;

Margaret

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Cowley

< /a>

< /span>

The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing

example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/

The item about '150 years' outl ines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took

the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also

chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or

dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history

also tells us abou t quite a few very directive individuals!).

By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year),

which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified

in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education

and training, initially under the Ro yal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new

mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children.

Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory

service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications!

< /div>

best wishes

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn

Cowley

sarahcowley183@...

Thank you for you r co-operation.

************************************************************************************************ ********************

************************************************************************** ******************************************

Here here!! It is really truly a time to celebrate!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: " Gordon" <c.gordon@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:58:43 -0000< >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HiJust needed to say a word.We are currently training 92 health visitor and school nurse students at University Campus Suffolk and will be recruiting possibly a hundred students for September. Everyody is working very hard in practice and in the classroom to facilitate the learning of these students because we believe the increased numbers of public health nurses is going to have a significant positive impact in East Anglia in regard to delivery of the public health service to families. With the growth in workforce I would see senior health visitors and school nurses being involved in the strategic planning and delivery of public health services. It is a really exciting time for all and students, practice teachers and mentors have embraced the challenge for a better future. I appreciate this is being mirrored Nationally and we should all celebrate what is happening in the profession.So I really feel that it is not a hope Malcolm but a definite outcome.RegardsChris________________________________From: on behalf of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: Thu 09/02/2012 09:28 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsHi Margaret,I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and children.As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly that in their opinion it was a mistake for Govt. to suggest that the NHS should lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social services , cultural services etc etc. They stated in the document that Local Govt. should lead on health promotion. With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so diminished perhaps this is too much to hope for?Malcolm ________________________________From: [ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]Sent: 08 February 2012 16:23 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsHi Malcolm I like your honesty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it.Re the factories - I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the history is that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes.I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are not always welcomed by their organisations. We need to change that!MargaretFrom: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 08 February 2012 16:15 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsI would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document .Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf when folk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a charity ?My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories wherewomen were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so. Is that part of the HV history ?< div> Malcolm ________________________________From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahcowley183@...]Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsI'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting thr ough their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishesOn 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote:Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from Orange________________________________From: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < <mailto:@yah%20oogroups.com> >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsHI I saw this to and though it is great to see -but it shows the ignorance about the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history.I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years.It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! & nbsp;Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome - I just need to update it again!Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 < /a>Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations <mailto: > The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!).By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications!< /div> best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn <http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn> Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail********************************************************************************************************************University Campus Suffolk is the trading name of University Campus Suffolk Ltd. Registered in England and Wales, company number: 05078498.Registered Address: Waterfront Building, Neptune Quay, Ipswich, IP4 1QJ

There is a Project 4 developing a commissioning framework which will be developing performance outcome measures. They are anticipated to report on their work within the next 3 months!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: "Donnelly Aisling (SURREY PCT)" <aisling.donnelly@...>Sender: Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:14:17 +0000 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations hi Senate, I have a student that is working on her research proposal currently, she hopes to do a comparison of before and after Health Visitor Implementation Plan to investigate whether the clients notice a difference in our service. Does anybody know what the national outcomes/ health indicators are that we will be measured against? Or even what people are doing locally to prove effectiveness. Thank you in advance Aisling (HV Camberley) From: [ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]Sent: 09 February 2012 12:22 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Malcolm I remember that document to – the old Health Education Authority did some good work and maybe as you say it may come back with the Health and Well Being Boards. Those as long in the tooth as me in terms of Health visiting and School Nursing also remember being part of the local authority and local council so it will be interesting to see how it allpans out. Margaret From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 09 February 2012 09:29 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Margaret, I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and children. As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly that in their opinion it was a mistakefor Govt. to suggest that the NHS should lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social services , cultural services etc etc. They stated i n the documentthat Local Govt. should lead on health promotion. With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so diminished perhaps this is too muchto hope for? Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]Sent: 08 February 2012 16:23 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Malcolm I like your hones ty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it. Re the factories – I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the historyis that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes. I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are no t always welcomed bytheir organisations. We need to change that! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 08 February 2012 16:15 Subject: RE: [sENATE-H VSN] CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document . Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf whenfolk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a charity ? My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories wherewomen were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power andthe authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so. Is that part of the HV history ?< div> Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [sarahc owley183@...]Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsI'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was veryshort, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original,and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focusedon getting thr ough their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply itto their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom:Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...>Sender: Date:Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 <@.com>ReplySubject:RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursingand am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frostin 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! & nbsp;Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 < /a>Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations < /span>The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursingexample, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outl ines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they tookthe decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and alsochloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected ordirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although historyalso tells us abou t quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year),which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identifiedin this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the educationand training, initially under the Ro yal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all newmothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutoryservice, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! < /div> best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for you r co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** ********************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail********************************************************************************************************************

Hi That is very interesting Liz because one of the issues we are finding for HV and Sn is what they are measured against which is generally contacts and breast feeding and what I see in terms of the Implementation Plan is numbers of students. I will await the outcome with interest. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of liz.plastow@...Sent: 09 February 2012 15:11 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations There is a Project 4 developing a commissioning framework which will be developing performance outcome measures. They are anticipated to report on their work within the next 3 months!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: " Donnelly Aisling (SURREY PCT) " <aisling.donnelly@...> Sender: Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:14:17 +0000 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations hi Senate, I have a student that is working on her research proposal currently, she hopes to do a comparison of before and after Health Visitor Implementation Plan to investigate whether the clients notice a difference in our service. Does anybody know what the national outcomes/ health indicators are that we will be measured against? Or even what people are doing locally to prove effectiveness. Thank you in advance Aisling (HV Camberley) From: [ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]Sent: 09 February 2012 12:22 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Malcolm I remember that document to – the old Health Education Authority did some good work and maybe as you say it may come back with the Health and Well Being Boards. Those as long in the tooth as me in terms of Health visiting and School Nursing also remember being part of the local authority and local council so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 09 February 2012 09:29 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Margaret, I agree that HVs should reclaim their central and powerful role in promoting and preserving the health of people of all age groups - not just mothers and children. As a parting shot - just before they were dissolved as an org. - the senior folk at the Health Education Authority published a document which stated clearly that in their opinion it was a mistake for Govt. to suggest that the NHS should lead on " health promotion " because most of the services that promote health are within the control of local govt. - education,environmental health, social services , cultural services etc etc. They stated i n the document that Local Govt. should lead on health promotion. With the formation of the new Health and Wellbeing BOards it would be good to think that HVs became leading lights on these BOards but with numbers being so diminished perhaps this is too much to hope for? Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg [margaret@...]Sent: 08 February 2012 16:23 Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations Hi Malcolm I like your hones ty box idea but everyone can have it on me as it is something I have had running along for well over 10 years and just keep updating it. Re the factories – I think you might be right there as there were lots of acts early in the 20 C which included things like that . Not part of the paper but what is clear about the history is that the early Hv were very powerful woman and were able to get things done and make changes. I have to say this was my early experience of health visiting practice but that has gone in recent years and I am still finding that the very challenging HVs and are no t always welcomed by their organisations. We need to change that! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rigler Malcolm (NORTH SOMERSET PCT)Sent: 08 February 2012 16:15 Subject: RE: [sENATE-H VSN] CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I would love to be able to read the most comprehensive document . Using the principle of the " honesty box " could the document be made available as a pdf when folk who downloaded the document would send some money to th e author or a charity ? My reading of the history of HV includes the notion that the health visitor would enter factories wherewomen were working to try to improve hygiene and working conditions and I believe they had the power and the authority to take action against factory owners if they did not improve matters when asked/ordered to do so. Is that part of the HV history ?< div> Malcolm From: [ ] On Behalf Of Cowley [ owley183@...]Sent: 07 February 2012 20:12 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrationsI'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting thr ough their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 <@.com>Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the develop ment of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! & nbsp;Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 < /a>Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations < /span>The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outl ines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Associatio n, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us abou t quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Ro yal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! < /div> best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.co m/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn ********************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for you r co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** ********************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************************************************************************This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform thesender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and ScotlandNHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipientsNHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhereFor more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail********************************************************************************************************************

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Have had quite a lot of contact with students the last few weeks and have been reflecting on this email and the principles and also on the implementation plan and offer for health visiting and your comments about the 1992 booklet made me think how far we have come and how important it is for that message to get out to practitioners. Having said that I think I am beginning to notice a slight change in attitude from health visitors and a more positive stance – it is almost as if they are beginning to believe it can be better. The 1992 Principles document was the first piece of work I organised and did when I went to the HVA. It had been an idea of mine to relook at the Principles of Health visiting – having been a health visitor when they came out and found them and the accompanying booklets so helpful – when I was a lecturer in health visiting but I moved on before I could push it forward. So we got Standing Conference involved and the booklet produced with yours and Shelia Twinn’s help. In some ways the change and the research element of the 2006 document shows how far we have moved on in understanding what health visitors do and what underpins it as a profession and with the research agenda. I still well remember going to the Kings Fund in 1990s with yourself and another health visitor who had undertaken some research and am pretty sure it was around the inequalities agenda and challenging a member of the audience when I heard him say something like “and nurses can do that – I did not think they understood research”. Maybe we ought to think about relooking at the Principles again in the light of the present changes and developments. It maybe something we could ask for funding for from the DH. I will think about that. By the way the school nursing material will be out at the end of the month and I was most interested to hear a presentation this week from the DH which clearly shows their thought processes and materials being produced are really recognising the importance of the child’s journey from 0 – 19 years. They are clearly not putting the two roles of the health visitor and school nurse together but are recognising that you cannot stop at 5 years and have to continue the early intervention and prevention up thought to 19 years. Someone described it to me this week as being a circle because the young adult then becomes a parent and things start again and I liked that. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 20:13 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: ' " Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way. " I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Thanks for these very helpful reflections Margaret. best wishesOn 18 Feb 2012, at 10:27, Margaret Buttigieg wrote: Hi Have had quite a lot of contact with students the last few weeks and have been reflecting on this email and the principles and also on the implementation plan and offer for health visiting and your comments about the 1992 booklet made me think how far we have come and how important it is for that message to get out to practitioners. Having said that I think I am beginning to notice a slight change in attitude from health visitors and a more positive stance – it is almost as if they are beginning to believe it can be better. The 1992 Principles document was the first piece of work I organised and did when I went to the HVA. It had been an idea of mine to relook at the Principles of Health visiting – having been a health visitor when they came out and found them and the accompanying booklets so helpful – when I was a lecturer in health visiting but I moved on before I could push it forward. So we got Standing Conference involved and the booklet produced with yours and Shelia Twinn’s help. In some ways the change and the research element of the 2006 document shows how far we have moved on in understanding what health visitors do and what underpins it as a profession and with the research agenda. I still well remember going to the Kings Fund in 1990s with yourself and another health visitor who had undertaken some research and am pretty sure it was around the inequalities agenda and challenging a member of the audience when I heard him say something like “and nurses can do that – I did not think they understood research”. Maybe we ought to think about relooking at the Principles again in the light of the present changes and developments. It maybe something we could ask for funding for from the DH. I will think about that. By the way the school nursing material will be out at the end of the month and I was most interested to hear a presentation this week from the DH which clearly shows their thought processes and materials being produced are really recognising the importance of the child’s journey from 0 – 19 years. They are clearly not putting the two roles of the health visitor and school nurse together but are recognising that you cannot stop at 5 years and have to continue the early intervention and prevention up thought to 19 years. Someone described it to me this week as being a circle because the young adult then becomes a parent and things start again and I liked that. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 20:13 Subject: Re: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations I'd be interested in your paper as well Margaret. In fact, this history is all in the 2006 edition that n Frost and I wrote. We were concerned that too many people used the 2nd (1992) edition, which was very short, as the 'definitive' document without going back to the original, that we tried to both mirror and update the original when we wrote the 2006 one. That means it is considerably longer and more detailed than the 1992 booklet, or even the 1977 original, and it does bring the principles up to date (although, of course it is ageing again now!). But of course, students' programmes are very full, and my guess is that, even if they buy a copy, most of them do not read the chapter about the development of the profession, because they are understandably focused on getting through their immediate learning and assignments. The original in 1977 is undoubtedly a 'classic' but it was also a document of its time, and, as such, included no research and my guess is that it would be hard for current students to apply it to their immediate situation. Once they have 'learnt the trade,' then it is clear why it is such a bedrock document, but not at the start! There are quite a few students on Senate - what do you think? best wishes On 7 Feb 2012, at 18:45, liz.plastow@... wrote: Thanks Margaret maybe you could bring a copy on Friday!LizSent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Margaret Buttigieg <margaret@...> Sender: Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:58:45 -0500 < >Reply Subject: RE: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations HI I saw this to and though it is great to see –but it shows the ignorance about the development of health vising as a profession and also its long history. I have a paper which I share with the leadership participants and get them to discuss and debate on the history and development of health vising and school nursing and am always amazed how little they know about it. It might make a good paper for the CPHVA journal for the 150 years. It is no longer taught in HV and SN education and I also discovered that when most organisation talk about the Principles they start with you review with Marilyn Frost in 2006 and forget they go back to 1977! Anyone who want a copy of my paper is welcome – I just need to update it again! Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 07 February 2012 17:40 Subject: CNO newsletter and 150 years celebrations The current CNO newsletter has several items of interest - public health roles, which includes a school nursing example, news about Viv 's appointment as the first Director of Nursing for Public Health, and about 'Health visiting: 150 years and counting.' See http://cno.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/31/cno-bulletin-december-2011-january-2012/ The item about '150 years' outlines that health visiting can be traced back to the Salford Ladies Sanitary Reform Association, which was actually set up in 1860. In 1862, they took the decision to employ 'respectable working women' from the local area to visit homes to help improve the health of women and children. In 1867, their annual report recorded that: '"Whitewash pails and brushes were placed at her disposal to lend and also chloride of lime for the purification of the air in the rooms of those who were suffering from fever. She had not only given instruction in common sanitary rules but she would herself wash and make comfortable a sick person whom she might find neglected or dirty, thus encouraging those who were around to follow her example by showing people how to do what was needful in the best way." I love that quote - even then, they were expected to be practical and supportive, rather than 'directive' (although history also tells us about quite a few very directive individuals!). By 1890, six of these 'sanitary visitors' were transferred into the employment of the Manchester Public Health Department (their name was changed to 'health visitors' the following year), which is why this particular initiative, amongst many home visiting programmes to improve the lot of poor families, is so often cited as the 'real' start of health visiting. The idea spread quite rapidly thereafter, and the health visitor was clearly identified in this development as a health counsellor and teacher rather than a nurse. The service increased through the next 50 years or so, being greatly enhanced by the Birth Notification Acts of 1907 and 1915, which also paved the way for developments to the education and training, initially under the Royal Sanitary Institute, which is now the Royal Society of Public Health. The Local Government Act 1929 was when the service became a statutory requirement, with all local authorities being required to ensure that all new mothers received a visit form a health visitor. That requirement was carried forward into the NHS Act 1946, although (we believe) it was varied in 1974, to requiring a service (rather than specifically a health visiting service) for mothers and children. Woody kindly traced some of this back for us recently, and we can't find the variation, but certainly the general belief is that it is no longer a statutory service. However, by the time the NHS started, health visiting was a very well established statutory service, although the CNO's newsletter suggested that that was when it became a statutory provision. Good to see it mentioned at all in that forum though - it is not so long ago that the term 'health visiting' was considered improper for official communications! best wishes Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn