RemedySpot.com

Re: IV iron calculations

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Merri Lou-

I recommend you make these recommendations along with a pharmacist who specializes in infusion (Apria, NeighborCare, Coram)- & they are often familiar with the dosage & dispensing guidelines.

Eva H

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "merrilouisedobler" <mdobler@...>

Good morning,I am familiar with oral iron supplements but have been asked to make a recommendation for IV iron. I use the "Micronutrition" book, which gives a formula for calculating the IV iron dextran,MG iron = (0.3 x wt (lbs) X 100) (14.8 - current hemoglobin)/14.8.Can someone help me with this?Thank you,Merri Lou Dobler, MS,RD,CDRockwood Clinic, Spokane, WA

I would check with your pharmacist to start with.Good luck,On Jan 7, 2008, at 8:45 AM, merrilouisedobler wrote:Good morning,I am familiar with oral iron supplements but have been asked to make a recommendation for IV iron. I use the "Micronutrition" book, which gives a formula for calculating the IV iron dextran,MG iron = (0.3 x wt (lbs) X 100) (14.8 - current hemoglobin)/14.8.Can someone help me with this?Thank you,Merri Lou Dobler, MS,RD,CDRockwood Clinic, Spokane, WA

Thanks, ,

Yes, I checked with the inpatient pharmacy at the medical center we are associated with. They explained the two options (1-day versus 4 day infusions), the test dose, the follow-up for labs.

I'm learning something new every day and a lot of the valuable information comes right from this group.

Now we're working on implementing BOLD, and just the process of getting the consent form signed takes coordination with all staff. Once we get a few done we'll probably settle in with things, but it's new to us all.

Thanks,

Merri Lou

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of KenyonSent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:04 PM Subject: Re: IV iron calculations

I would check with your pharmacist to start with.

Good luck,

On Jan 7, 2008, at 8:45 AM, merrilouisedobler wrote:

Good morning,I am familiar with oral iron supplements but have been asked to make a recommendation for IV iron. I use the "Micronutrition" book, which gives a formula for calculating the IV iron dextran,MG iron = (0.3 x wt (lbs) X 100) (14.8 - current hemoglobin)/14.8.Can someone help me with this?Thank you,Merri Lou Dobler, MS,RD,CDRockwood Clinic, Spokane, WA

______________________________________________________________________This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email ______________________________________________________________________

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

• 3 weeks later...

Any of your patients getting IM Iron supplementation? Willing to share pros/cons?

LP

From: md-gonzales@...Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:51:06 +0000Subject: Re: IV iron calculations

Merri Lou-

I recommend you make these recommendations along with a pharmacist who specializes in infusion (Apria, NeighborCare, Coram)- & they are often familiar with the dosage & dispensing guidelines.

Eva H

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "merrilouisedobler" <mdoblerrockwoodclinic>

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more.