RemedySpot.com

Sleeve Gastrectomy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

we have already doing this surgery and I'm not really involved with revamping our educational material here (its done with the bariatric coordinator and the main office :( ) anyhow i would also like copies so i can make sure that what i tell our patients is consistant with what is generally being said. thank you soooo much Miceli MA, RD, LDNSouthern Surgical HospitalSlidell, La936-443-4123 (cell)985-661-2146 (work) __________________________________________________

• 1 year later...

I know this has been discussed at length multiple times in the past. However, I don't remember what the general consensus was on supplements recommended post-op for these pts. Our facility does not perform many of these but is planning to do a couple shortly. They have done some in the past only because once they got in there they found that was the only option for some of these pts. They don't anticipate a second surgery in most of them either. I thought someone had posted handouts to files but I was unable to locate them. Can anyone tell me first what you recommend for supplements in these pts? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with recommending the same protocol as our gastric bypass pts (who malabsorb) who take 2 MVI/min supplements per day with 100% RDA of vitamin A in each. Also, does

anyone have any handouts they're willing to share and/or post to the files section?Thanks!

We supplement with a MVI; Ca Citrate 500 mg TID; B12; B-complex with Thiamin.

:)

From: julie thompson <jlt_rd@...>Subject: Sleeve Gastrectomy"bariatricnutrition group" < >Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 9:36 AM

I know this has been discussed at length multiple times in the past. However, I don't remember what the general consensus was on supplements recommended post-op for these pts. Our facility does not perform many of these but is planning to do a couple shortly. They have done some in the past only because once they got in there they found that was the only option for some of these pts. They don't anticipate a second surgery in most of them either. I thought someone had posted handouts to files but I was unable to locate them. Can anyone tell me first what you recommend for supplements in these pts? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with recommending the same protocol as our gastric bypass pts (who malabsorb) who take 2 MVI/min supplements per day with 100% RDA of vitamin A in each. Also, does anyone have any handouts they're willing to share and/or post to the files

section?Thanks!

Thanks! I am comfortable with that. I've looked at what some other sites are recommending and it seems to be quite variable. I've seen everything from the same regimen as gastric bypass to nothing more than one MVI/min per day.Thanks again!

From: julie thompson <jlt_rd (DOT) com>Subject: [bariatricNutrition Dietitians] Sleeve Gastrectomy"bariatricnutrition group" <bariatricnutritiond ietitians>Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 9:36 AM

I know this has been discussed at length multiple times in the past. However, I don't remember what the general consensus was on supplements recommended post-op for these pts. Our facility does not perform many of these but is planning to do a couple shortly. They have done some in the past only because once they got in there they found that was the only option for some of these pts. They don't anticipate a second surgery in most of them either. I thought someone had posted handouts to files but I was unable to locate them. Can anyone tell me first what you recommend for supplements in these pts? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with recommending the same protocol as our gastric bypass pts (who malabsorb) who take 2 MVI/min supplements per day with 100% RDA of vitamin A in each. Also, does anyone have any handouts they're willing to share and/or post to the files

section?Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The conssnsus is to treat it like a Gastric Bypass until there's more data.There are a couple of good gastric sleeve webinars on bariatricadvantage.com-go to health professionals and register for free then click on webex on the left.

Amy Long Carrera MS, RD Clinical Dietitian Northridge Hospital Medical Center & Center for Weight Loss Surgery Northridge, CA Amy.Long@... 818-885-8500 x4034

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of FehrenbacherSent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:22 AM Subject: Re: Sleeve Gastrectomy

We supplement with a MVI; Ca Citrate 500 mg TID; B12; B-complex with Thiamin.

:)

From: julie thompson <jlt_rd >Subject: Sleeve Gastrectomy"bariatricnutrition group" < >Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 9:36 AM

I know this has been discussed at length multiple times in the past. However, I don't remember what the general consensus was on supplements recommended post-op for these pts. Our facility does not perform many of these but is planning to do a couple shortly. They have done some in the past only because once they got in there they found that was the only option for some of these pts. They don't anticipate a second surgery in most of them either. I thought someone had posted handouts to files but I was unable to locate them. Can anyone tell me first what you recommend for supplements in these pts? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with recommending the same protocol as our gastric bypass pts (who malabsorb) who take 2 MVI/min supplements per day with 100% RDA of vitamin A in each. Also, does anyone have any handouts they're willing to share and/or post to the files section?Thanks!

We perform a vertical-banded gastroplasty with sleeve gastrectomy and have our patients take 2 Vita4Life pills daily (similar to Centrum), B12 500mcg, and 1000mg Calcium daily. Pretty similar to the others who have responded, but slightly different.

~

From: julie thompson <jlt_rd (DOT) com>Subject: [bariatricNutrition Dietitians] Sleeve Gastrectomy"bariatricnutrition group" <bariatricnutritiond ietitians>Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 9:36 AM

section?Thanks!

Sorry if I just misunderstood your email, but how can you be doing VBG with SG? From my understanding a portion of the stomach is "cordoned off" in the VBG and in SG the fundus is completely removed.

Amy Long Carrera MS, RD Clinical Dietitian Northridge Hospital Medical Center & Center for Weight Loss Surgery Northridge, CA Amy.Long@... 818-885-8500 x4034

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lynn Atherton Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 12:30 PM Subject: RE: Sleeve Gastrectomy

We perform a vertical-banded gastroplasty with sleeve gastrectomy and have our patients take 2 Vita4Life pills daily (similar to Centrum), B12 500mcg, and 1000mg Calcium daily. Pretty similar to the others who have responded, but slightly different.

~

I know this has been discussed at length multiple times in the past. However, I don't remember what the general consensus was on supplements recommended post-op for these pts. Our facility does not perform many of these but is planning to do a couple shortly. They have done some in the past only because once they got in there they found that was the only option for some of these pts. They don't anticipate a second surgery in most of them either. I thought someone had posted handouts to files but I was unable to locate them. Can anyone tell me first what you recommend for supplements in these pts? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with recommending the same protocol as our gastric bypass pts (who malabsorb) who take 2 MVI/min supplements per day with 100% RDA of vitamin A in each. Also, does anyone have any handouts they're willing to share and/or post to the files section?Thanks!

Our surgeon is very innovative and he has his own procedures that he likes to follow. I can't give a lot of details since I'm not the surgeon, but basically he makes the stomach simply a sleeve and bands it off at the top. There is a small pouch left at the top with a capactiy reduction overall. Sorry I can't be more helpful! As far as I know (still new at the office), he will only do a VBG with the sleeve and not one without.

I think I've digressed from the original topic....

Hope that helps a little,

section?Thanks!

Thanks for explaining , that's a new one for me!

Amy

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lynn Atherton Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:13 AM Subject: RE: Sleeve Gastrectomy

Our surgeon is very innovative and he has his own procedures that he likes to follow. I can't give a lot of details since I'm not the surgeon, but basically he makes the stomach simply a sleeve and bands it off at the top. There is a small pouch left at the top with a capactiy reduction overall. Sorry I can't be more helpful! As far as I know (still new at the office), he will only do a VBG with the sleeve and not one without.

I think I've digressed from the original topic....

Hope that helps a little,