RemedySpot.com

RE: help with patient follow-up

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You would get a PLP -- pyridoxal 5'phosphate. There are others (about 6), but this is the one used most often clinically. Like others, it is contingent upon protein intake and diabetes medications can affect the levels/

JB

-------------- Original message from "Laschkwitsch, :LPH Obes Inst" <KLaschke@...>: --------------

I just had a thought about the patient I emailed you all about.......I think maybe we should be looking at Vit B6 deficiency.....anyone agree. Is serum B6 the best lab test to do?

Thank

_

IMPORTANT NOTICE:This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

Excuse my stupidity Jeanne but what do you mean it is contingent on protein intake. My patient is eating about 800 calories, she does o.k. with protein as she makes that a main focus, estimate 60-70g protein. B6 being involved in protein metabolism means if her protein intake is low then her B6 may be normal but if she increases protein then her B6 may deplete? It's Monday and this is too hard.....am I on the right track?!

Appreciate your teaching!

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of jbship@...Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 9:44 AM Subject: Re: help with patient follow-up

You would get a PLP -- pyridoxal 5'phosphate. There are others (about 6), but this is the one used most often clinically. Like others, it is contingent upon protein intake and diabetes medications can affect the levels/

JB

-------------- Original message from "Laschkwitsch, :LPH Obes Inst" <KLaschkeLHS (DOT) ORG>: --------------

I just had a thought about the patient I emailed you all about.......I think maybe we should be looking at Vit B6 deficiency.....anyone agree. Is serum B6 the best lab test to do?

Thank

_

IMPORTANT NOTICE:This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

The RDA's/DRI's are established based on the concept that individuals are consuming the RDA level of protein which is around 50-60 grams per day. Many of the B vitamin levels (thiamin, B6, etc) are established based on this level of protein intake. As intake increases, the requirement does also since many of these vitamins are co-factors in energy metabolism -- including the conversion of glucogenic and ketogenic amino acids to pyruvate or acetyl CoA.

JB

-------------- Original message from "Laschkwitsch, :LPH Obes Inst" <KLaschke@...>: --------------

Excuse my stupidity Jeanne but what do you mean it is contingent on protein intake. My patient is eating about 800 calories, she does o.k. with protein as she makes that a main focus, estimate 60-70g protein. B6 being involved in protein metabolism means if her protein intake is low then her B6 may be normal but if she increases protein then her B6 may deplete? It's Monday and this is too hard.....am I on the right track?!

Appreciate your teaching!

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of jbship@...Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 9:44 AM Subject: Re: help with patient follow-up

JB

-------------- Original message from "Laschkwitsch, :LPH Obes Inst" <KLaschkeLHS (DOT) ORG>: --------------

Thank

_