RemedySpot.com

constipation - which product do you use

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hello

i just got an order to add fiber supplements to a pts diet

my question is

how much extra fiber do you provide your post op rny pts (hes a year out very non compliant)

do you use the sugar free metamucil or the regular one - or do you just prefer benefiber?

thanks

Miceli MA, RD, LDNSouthern Surgical HospitalSlidell, La936-443-4123 (cell)985-661-2146 (work)

I usually recommend that the pt start with one tsp Benefiber (3g fber) in 8oz SF liquid daily and gradually work up to 3 tsp daily or more depending on what else they are eating.

Amy Long Carrera MS, RD Clinical Dietitian Northridge Hospital Medical Center & Center for Weight Loss Surgery Northridge, CA Amy.Long@... 818-885-8500 x4034

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of melissa miceliSent: Monday, November 24, 2008 10:24 AM Subject: constipation - which product do you use

hello

my question is

how much extra fiber do you provide your post op rny pts (hes a year out very non compliant)

do you use the sugar free metamucil or the regular one - or do you just prefer benefiber?

thanks

Miceli MA, RD, LDNSouthern Surgical HospitalSlidell, La936-443-4123 (cell)985-661-2146 (work)

You can also use nutraflora(soluble, fermentable fiber). This can be started as a 1/4 tsp and build up to 1 tablspoon if you like. It mixes well into all hot and cold beverages.

This is a product that is purchased on line / or phone orders at Pacwest(866)636-2336.This is the same soluble fiber that Abbott Labs uses in their fiber supplemented products.It also acts as a prebiotic. www.pacwestnutrition.com

Larmour MSRD, CNSD, CDE Clinical Nutrition Manager Northridge Hospital Medical Center (818) 885-8500(x3893) .@...

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Long, Amy - NHMCSent: Monday, November 24, 2008 2:54 PM Subject: RE: constipation - which product do you use

I usually recommend that the pt start with one tsp Benefiber (3g fber) in 8oz SF liquid daily and gradually work up to 3 tsp daily or more depending on what else they are eating.

Amy Long Carrera MS, RD Clinical Dietitian Northridge Hospital Medical Center & Center for Weight Loss Surgery Northridge, CA Amy.LongCHW (DOT) edu 818-885-8500 x4034

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of melissa miceliSent: Monday, November 24, 2008 10:24 AM Subject: constipation - which product do you use

hello

my question is

thanks