Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Staci,

If you are concerned about the amount of calcium in your diet you can take

a calcium supplement. Most woman between 16 and 50 should anyway since their

calcium needs are so high. But if you include milk, cheese, yogurt and other

dairy products into your plan you should be getting enough. Most women do

not want all those calories and therefore supplement.

~Laury

• 7 years later...
Guest guest

Hi all-

Does raw milk taste different than store milk? I have not tasted milk

for at least 15 years since returning from an extended stay in Europe.

Used to be a HUGE milk drinker growing up. When I was in Europe did not

touch any of it until I returned to the US and poured a big glass...then

promptly spit it out....a most disgusting taste! Have not had a drop

since. An experience that was interesting, at least to me.

If you have a dairy allergy, which I do to some extent would raw milk

have the same effect on me? Sheesh, I suppose I should read the

recommended reading...probably has a bunch of info.

Thanks guys for the expanded thoughts on everything in this group.

Regards,

Lee

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Thanks , I will definitely try the cider vinegar -- we used it last year for helping keep off the flies -- it seemed to help especially when she ate it on her grain and also we doused her coat too. didn't seem to affect the milk. I'm not sure about the zinc for cows but I'll look it up.

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading and learning a lot here, thanks for your willingness to share information. This is my first question for the group.

I have a Jersey cow -- 5 years old who calved in April. She is handmilked twice a day. She went off her feed for about half a day a few weeks ago and there were some signs of digestive upset but no dramatic symptoms. She started eating again in the afternoon. That morning she also had one swollen quarter and milk production was down about 25%. There were no solids in the milk. Milk production dropped a bit more than 50% by the evening milking. The swelling was down. I had used Udder Comfort during the day and massage. There were some solids in the milk that evening. The filter (one of the disposable types and the steel screen) showed some small stickyish yellow solids and a general thickness that essentially looks like cream -- nothing like the "cottage cheesy" kind of

solids I associate with mastitis infection On the advise of the vet, we used antibiotics for 2 days and didn't use the milk for 72 hours afterwards. The solids and filmy yellow thickness cleared up. Then 2 days later the I noticed the flow in the filter was slowing down and then another quarter was slow to milk out and was a little puffy still at the end of milking. There was a tiny solid in the filter that afternoon. I made a decoction of cleavers and used that on her grain along with massage and hot compresses and it cleared up. Then again 2 days later she was off her feed for just a few hours this time and then started eating and now 2 days later the filter shows the yellowing and 2 or 3 tiny (like maybe 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch) solids.

She has been on pasture and then at milking she gets 2 or 3 pounds of organic 16% protein dairy feed grain mixture.

I would prefer not to use antibiotics if I can help it. I don't think it is an infection, maybe plugged ducts? Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this and what might help?

I'd appreciate any advise you might offer.

Thanks, susan

Guest guest

Thanks , I will definitely try the cider vinegar -- we used it last year for helping keep off the flies -- it seemed to help especially when she ate it on her grain and also we doused her coat too. didn't seem to affect the milk. I'm not sure about the zinc for cows but I'll look it up.

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading and learning a lot here, thanks for your willingness to share information. This is my first question for the group.

I have a Jersey cow -- 5 years old who calved in April. She is handmilked twice a day. She went off her feed for about half a day a few weeks ago and there were some signs of digestive upset but no dramatic symptoms. She started eating again in the afternoon. That morning she also had one swollen quarter and milk production was down about 25%. There were no solids in the milk. Milk production dropped a bit more than 50% by the evening milking. The swelling was down. I had used Udder Comfort during the day and massage. There were some solids in the milk that evening. The filter (one of the disposable types and the steel screen) showed some small stickyish yellow solids and a general thickness that essentially looks like cream -- nothing like the "cottage cheesy" kind of

solids I associate with mastitis infection On the advise of the vet, we used antibiotics for 2 days and didn't use the milk for 72 hours afterwards. The solids and filmy yellow thickness cleared up. Then 2 days later the I noticed the flow in the filter was slowing down and then another quarter was slow to milk out and was a little puffy still at the end of milking. There was a tiny solid in the filter that afternoon. I made a decoction of cleavers and used that on her grain along with massage and hot compresses and it cleared up. Then again 2 days later she was off her feed for just a few hours this time and then started eating and now 2 days later the filter shows the yellowing and 2 or 3 tiny (like maybe 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch) solids.

She has been on pasture and then at milking she gets 2 or 3 pounds of organic 16% protein dairy feed grain mixture.

I would prefer not to use antibiotics if I can help it. I don't think it is an infection, maybe plugged ducts? Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this and what might help?

Thanks, susan

Guest guest

Hello Everyone,

Thanks, susan

Guest guest

great!  I figure anything I can take is safe for my goats....and I have a dairy male calf who is not over a year old....who is real healthy and nice big poops.....he, Cowie, gets grain every 3 days soaked in apple cider vinegar now and loves it.......all raised naturally, with apple cider vinegar, white vinegar in water tubs to keep the water clean, sometimes cedarwood essential oil, left over whey (probiotic like nothing else) etc etc....I have about 25 sheep also,  let me know  how she does, Thanks , I will definitely try the cider vinegar -- we used it last year for helping keep off the flies -- it seemed to help especially when she ate it on her grain and also we doused her coat too.  didn't seem to affect the milk.  I'm not sure about the zinc for cows but I'll look it up.Hello Everyone,I have been reading and learning a lot here, thanks for your willingness to share information.  This is my first question for the group.I have a Jersey cow -- 5 years old who calved in April.  She is handmilked twice a day.  She went off her feed for about half a day a few weeks ago and there were some signs of digestive upset but no dramatic symptoms.  She started eating again in the afternoon.  That morning she also had one swollen quarter and milk production was down about 25%.  There were no solids in the milk.  Milk production dropped a bit more than 50% by the evening milking.  The swelling was down.  I had used Udder Comfort during the day and massage.  There were some solids in the milk that evening.  The filter (one of the disposable types and the steel screen) showed some small stickyish yellow solids and a general thickness that essentially looks like cream -- nothing like the "cottage cheesy" kind of solids I associate with mastitis infection  On the advise of the vet, we used antibiotics for 2 days and didn't use the milk for 72 hours afterwards.  The solids and filmy yellow thickness cleared up.  Then 2 days later the I noticed the flow in the filter was slowing down and then another quarter was slow to milk out and was a little puffy still at the end of milking.  There was a tiny solid in the filter that afternoon.  I made a decoction of cleavers and used that on her grain along with massage and hot compresses and it cleared up.  Then again 2 days later she was off her feed for just a few hours this time and then started eating and now 2 days later the filter shows the yellowing and 2 or 3 tiny (like maybe 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch) solids. She has been on pasture and then at milking she gets 2 or 3 pounds of organic 16% protein dairy feed grain mixture. I would prefer not to use antibiotics if I can help it.  I don't think it is an infection, maybe plugged ducts?  Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this and what might help?I'd appreciate any advise you might offer. Thanks, susan