RemedySpot.com

Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

ph,

I don't believe I quoted any of your posts. Nonetheless, I would welcome a

personal visit from you. Perhaps we could sit down over a couple of beers and

discuss the matter. Please contact me off list if you would like to do so.

Burke

> >

> >

> > I agree whole heartedly!!! We need to settle disputed within ourselves not

run to someone else outside our profession to " fix " our problems. I fear that

this has un done a lot of progress that has happened for us in Salem. This has

the appearance of our " in fighting " which most legislators shy ed away from

until we united. IMHO it makes us look weak and childish!!!! Now we have to

watch out that the legislature does not sees us as such and try to disband our

board and have us regulated by the medical board. How fun would that be!!!!

> >

> > Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave

> > Day, Or. 97845

> > office 541-575-1063

> > fax 541-575-5554

> >

> > rongrice@; mailto:%40

> > From: bluepearl2001@

> > Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:46:26 +0000

> > Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health

Committee Hearing.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > This is very disappointing and upsetting to me. Everyone needs to take stock

and remember how precious our profession in, regardless of 'what side of the

isle' one might be on. Very, very disappointed to hear this.

> > Ann DC

> >

> > From: " G " <rongrice@>

> > mailto:%40

> > Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:33:14 PM

> > Subject: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee

Hearing.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Dear Listmates.

> >

> > Yesterday at the House Health Committee hearing regarding how the OBCE deals

with complaints, specifically in regards to IMEs, three DCs testified in front

of the committee. Their testimony can be listened to at

http://www.leg.state.or.us/listn/.

> >

> > During that testimony, direct quotes from this DC List serve were entered

into the record of the House Health Committee hearing. I find this blatant

violation of List serve rules to be appalling. It is my opinion that the doctors

of record who were testifying at this committee, who violated these rules should

be expelled from having the privilege of membership on this list.

> >

> >

> >

> > Many forums on the net are anonymous. The reason we have signature

requirements on this list is that we are expected to respect everyone's opinion

here, realizing that this will ensure professional dialogue. When someone

violates that tenant, then the list will die and we will lose this wonderful

tool. It also speaks volumes to the integrity of the persons violating this

rule. If they are so willing to throw their colleagues under the bus in front of

the Oregon Legislature, especially when there are non-professional audience

members in the gallery, and when one of those in attendance was a medical

physician testifying on another matter, we look very unprofessional and it

appears to the audience that we need to have greater control put on us by the

Oregon Legislature.

> >

> >

> >

> > I would like to remind all of us, be careful what we say on this list, at

least as long as particular people have no concern about keeping our comments

private.

> >

> >

> >

> > Sincerely, and with tremendous respect for the integrity of this list.

> >

> >

> >

> > Grice, DC

> >

> > Albany, OR

> >

>

Guest guest

If we establish an "independent review" system in Oregon (diverse board--opinion reports only--no regulatory authority), that insurance companies, patients, and other doctors could refer cases to in order to get a TRUE independent opinion (and maybe even mediation/arbitration) the NEED for IME's from insurance companies would drop drastically.

It would be only those case that really fall "outside the norm" that would force the insurance company to utilize an IME...(so, here's hopin' we can find a solution to the IME dilemma in Oregon!). (:-)

RR

Dr. Sears, Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and "a physician-patient relationship is neither sought nor created." In other words, I don't believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly. As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an attorney. Respectfully,Ben On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote:> IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, "IME Abuse: A Plan for an End." > > > To wit: "In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money!" See more at: http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a-plan-for-an-end.html> > Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and the treating doc)?> > Sears, DC, IAYT> 1218 NW 21st Ave> Portland, Oregon 97209> v: 503-225-0255> f: 503-525-6902> www.docbones.com--Ben Attorney at Law1205 NW 25th AvenuePortland, OR 97210p. (503) 224-1787f. (888) 659-7963e. Ben@...------------------------------------All posts must adhere to OregonDCs rules located on homepage at: /Tell a colleague about OregonDCs! (must be licensed Oregon DC)

Guest guest

Thanks for your post Mr. . The February 2012 edition of The American Chiropractor has another article by Mark Studin, "Implementing a 'Code of Ethics' Can Help Prevent IME and Peer Review Abuse." It was this article that prompted me to post the "IME Abuse" article, as the current issue's not online yet. But, in the current issue, Studin offers an AMA Code of Ethics model that he believes could give some relief in this regard. I assume the latest article will be posted online eventually, and I would recommend it. Briefly, here are his comments on state code of ethics in this regard.". . . every national and state chiropractic organization has the ability to level the playing field in protecting both patients and doctors by having a code of ethics outlined and agreed upon by all of their members. This creates a standard of practice in the state and should an improper IME . . . be performed, then there are guidelines to justify recourse. Although some states have ruled that IME, IEP (industry employed physicians) and peer review doctors are not subject to state licensure disciplinary boards as a result of their interpretation of "duty of care" or the legal obligation of the doctor to the patient because they believe no doctor-patient relations exists, many states do hold the IME or IEP doctor to the same standard as the treating doctor. . . . Courts in New York, land, District of Columbia, Arizona, Michigan, West Virginia, Montana, and the US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, among others, have ruled that these doctors are responsible in a doctor-patient relationship."It is from these comments that I question whether Oregon has such a code of ethics governing IMEs, IEPs and peer review doctors. Thanks again for your insights. Sears, DC, IAYT1218 NW 21st AvePortland, Oregon 97209v: 503-225-0255f: 503-525-6902www.docbones.comOn Mar 1, 2012, at 2:41, Ben wrote:Dr. Sears, Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and "a physician-patient relationship is neither sought nor created." In other words, I don't believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly. As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an attorney. Respectfully,Ben On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote: IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, "IME Abuse: A Plan for an End." To wit: "In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money!" See more at: http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a-plan-for-an-end.htmlGranted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and the treating doc)? Sears, DC, IAYT1218 NW 21st AvePortland, Oregon 97209v: 503-225-0255f: 503-525-6902www.docbones.com --Ben Attorney at Law1205 NW 25th AvenuePortland, OR 97210p. (503) 224-1787f. (888) 659-7963e. Ben@...

Guest guest

For anyone to connote that IME and file review bias doesn't exist or that

there are no chiropractic and medical clinics (namely pain

management/percutaneous interventions) which treat excessively is simply not

reality. The Oregon Chiropractic Association our only state association that

is looking out for you is discussing this and other issues relative to abuse

in auto PIP and are going to address these issues head-on. The OCA is going

to be proactive and preemptive. We have a wonderful auto PIP law hear in the

great state of Oregon and we do not wish to lose it, we do not wish to go

through what Florida is going through which is due to fraud and abuse by a

few that state is about to lose its auto PIP....

Vern Saboe

Oregon Chiropractic Association

Re: IME Testimony during the House Health

Committee Hearing.

Dr. Sears,

Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing

that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and " a physician-patient

relationship is neither sought nor created. " In other words, I don't

believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.

Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage

of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to

re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely

dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total

limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly

knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often

are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man

arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing

justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble

opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly.

As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a

SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as

an attorney.

Respectfully,

Ben

On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote:

> IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-)

private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American

Chiropractor mag, " IME Abuse: A Plan for an End. "

>

>

> To wit: " In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that

allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in

the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best

interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing

doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to

doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed

that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion

usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's

always about the money! " See more at:

http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abu

se-a-plan-for-an-end.html

>

> Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular

group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question

is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient

relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical

protection of the patient (and the treating doc)?

>

> Sears, DC, IAYT

> 1218 NW 21st Ave

> Portland, Oregon 97209

> v: 503-225-0255

> f: 503-525-6902

> www.docbones.com

--

Ben

Attorney at Law

1205 NW 25th Avenue

Portland, OR 97210

p. (503) 224-1787

f. (888) 659-7963

e. Ben@...

------------------------------------

All posts must adhere to OregonDCs rules located on homepage at:

/

Tell a colleague about OregonDCs! (must be licensed Oregon DC)

Links

Guest guest

Absolutely.

To fantasize that this is strictly about doctors note taking is to be naïve to the greatest order. There is no standard to the process. Rebuttals? When the Documentation has been rock solid and has determined a clear method of injury and justification for care, it proves there is something wrong with the system when a Rebuttal is necessary. It PROVES the IME was not performed correctly.

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that the legislature was minimizing the detriment of a poor IME to the patient. Allow me to give you the freshest example out of practice today March 1st 2012:

Patient was driving mother’s vehicle. They were at a stop and struck at 50-60mph. Seat backs broke (most of my cases don’t break the seatback). Patient and mother were sent to ER via ambulance. Patient suffered severe strains of Neck and Upper Back. She mentioned in the ER that her Ear hurt. They passed it off as the cervical collar pinching it.

Patient appeared 3 days after accident with extensive Whiplash/Strains and a compression fracture of T2. Treated for 8 visits and did a Re-exam. Pain levels dropped from 8 of 10 to 6-7. Wrote Report sent off called adjuster. Treated another 8 visits gradually instituting more motion and light strength. Did Re-eval. On this visit patient noted that she was having a “bad day” and the pain levels were the same if not exacerbated. She also noted that the ear pain had been getting severe and making her neck worse. She also has emotional problems and is medicated for depression and anxiety and she felt that emotional health was also the reason for the exacerbation....

All of this was noted. I mentioned in the report that she made mention of ear pain on ER visit initially and that I was sending her for a TMJ referral (she has obvious dysfunction). Sent report to adjuster with follow up call.

Today, 5 days after the last visit which was her last re-eval, she stated that the adjuster called her to inform her that she is being IME’d and all bills would not be paid pending exam. She’s freaking out, can’t keep the TMJ appt. due to fear of inability to pay, crying on the table as I was treating her, already a psychological wreck.......

Her mother is still being treated by a chiro, had less extensive injuries, has been seen at the same frequency and has not been ordered to see IME. However, the mother is the policy holder.

This is a case where it’s not even a Poor IME, but simply the order of one that has been detrimental to the patient and has no basis from what I can see. The adjuster told her he wants to make sure she’s receiving the proper treatment.

I’m pretty confident it was the order of the TMJ referral that caused the IME order, but at this point who knows. Our documentation is solid. She’s been seen 16 times. Today even mentioned that the pain levels have gone down, but that her ear is “killing” her.

Can’t wait to see the IME report on this one.

ph Medlin D.C.

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:20 PM

Cc: Oregon Chiropractors

Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

If we establish an "independent review" system in Oregon (diverse board--opinion reports only--no regulatory authority), that insurance companies, patients, and other doctors could refer cases to in order to get a TRUE independent opinion (and maybe even mediation/arbitration) the NEED for IME's from insurance companies would drop drastically.

It would be only those case that really fall "outside the norm" that would force the insurance company to utilize an IME...(so, here's hopin' we can find a solution to the IME dilemma in Oregon!). (:-)

RR

Dr. Sears, Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and "a physician-patient relationship is neither sought nor created." In other words, I don't believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly. As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an attorney. Respectfully,Ben On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote:> IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, "IME Abuse: A Plan for an End." > > > To wit: "In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money!" See more at: http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a-plan-for-an-end.html> > Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and the treating doc)?> > Sears, DC, IAYT> 1218 NW 21st Ave> Portland, Oregon 97209> v: 503-225-0255> f: 503-525-6902> www.docbones.com--Ben Attorney at Law1205 NW 25th AvenuePortland, OR 97210p. (503) 224-1787f. (888) 659-7963e. Ben@...------------------------------------All posts must adhere to OregonDCs rules located on homepage at: /Tell a colleague about OregonDCs! (must be licensed Oregon DC)

Guest guest

Trouble is how do you define an “improper IME?” Where is that definition found? What constitutes an improper exam? There be the rub…I wrote the original draft language to the “Evidence-based Outcomes Management” OBCE Admin Rule language with the strategy of using evidence based outcome assessment tools as the evidence based measuring stick by which to determine if treatment being review (IME/file review) was clinically justified. A double edge sword that was designed to swing both directions if the outcome assessments on re-exam failed to show a progression of care/improvement then curative care should end (MMI). Alternatively if the IME doc or file reviewer disregarded the outcomes that clearly showed a progression of care they would be in hot water. But here is the other “rub” doctors must perform the outcome assessments they must generate adequate chart notes and many is the time our colleagues are not….trust me I know I review many files as an independent expert. Yes, in my opinion there are biased examiners who work exclusively for the auto PIP insurers but there are also examiners who work for the insurers that are attempting to perform straight up exams. The “rub” is this, it is very difficult to support ongoing curative care when the treating doctor(s) has/have not performed timely re-exams implementing outcome assessments nor have adequate chart notes that one can actually read….leaving the examiner very little ability to support ongoing curative care….in short we could and must do a better job of documenting…..all of which is part of the equation when viewing the IME/file review issue….. Vern Saboe From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of SearsSent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:36 PMBen Cc: Oregon ChiropractorsSubject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. Thanks for your post Mr. . The February 2012 edition of The American Chiropractor has another article by Mark Studin, " Implementing a 'Code of Ethics' Can Help Prevent IME and Peer Review Abuse. " It was this article that prompted me to post the " IME Abuse " article, as the current issue's not online yet. But, in the current issue, Studin offers an AMA Code of Ethics model that he believes could give some relief in this regard. I assume the latest article will be posted online eventually, and I would recommend it. Briefly, here are his comments on state code of ethics in this regard. " . . . every national and state chiropractic organization has the ability to level the playing field in protecting both patients and doctors by having a code of ethics outlined and agreed upon by all of their members. This creates a standard of practice in the state and should an improper IME . . . be performed, then there are guidelines to justify recourse. Although some states have ruled that IME, IEP (industry employed physicians) and peer review doctors are not subject to state licensure disciplinary boards as a result of their interpretation of " duty of care " or the legal obligation of the doctor to the patient because they believe no doctor-patient relations exists, many states do hold the IME or IEP doctor to the same standard as the treating doctor. . . . Courts in New York, land, District of Columbia, Arizona, Michigan, West Virginia, Montana, and the US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, among others, have ruled that these doctors are responsible in a doctor-patient relationship. " It is from these comments that I question whether Oregon has such a code of ethics governing IMEs, IEPs and peer review doctors. Thanks again for your insights. Sears, DC, IAYT1218 NW 21st AvePortland, Oregon 97209v: 503-225-0255f: 503-525-6902www.docbones.com On Mar 1, 2012, at 2:41, Ben wrote:Dr. Sears, Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and " a physician-patient relationship is neither sought nor created. " In other words, I don't believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility. Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly. As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an attorney. Respectfully, Ben On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote: IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, " IME Abuse: A Plan for an End. " To wit: " In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money! " See more at: http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a-plan-for-an-end.html Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and the treating doc)? Sears, DC, IAYT1218 NW 21st AvePortland, Oregon 97209v: 503-225-0255f: 503-525-6902www.docbones.com --Ben Attorney at Law 1205 NW 25th AvenuePortland, OR 97210 p. (503) 224-1787f. (888) 659-7963e. Ben@...

Guest guest

The lack of a doctor/patient relationship allows the IME and/or file

review doctor to shred what paperwork he or she has been provided in

response to preparing for the exam, or generates during the evaluation

itself. When the IME/File reviewer destroys any and all paperwork, it

relieves them of having to defend the work they reviewed, or the

entirety of their exam. Whether their was a complete exam, or the exam

was auto created by their report software.

I truly believe the OBCE should change this situation. They should at

the very least require a doctor/patient relationship to be developed by

chiropractic IME and/or File reviewers. That way, the IME/file reviewer

would have to keep any and all paperwork for the requisite legal time.

This would eliminate any appearance that file reviewers sell their

signature to insurance companies or auditing firms for the sole purpose

of rubber stamping the denial of further treatment. A very simple fix

to this problem, at least in our profession.

Grice, DC

Albany, OR

On 3/1/2012 2:41 PM, Ben wrote:

> Dr. Sears,

>

> Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that

the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and " a physician-patient

relationship is neither sought nor created. " In other words, I don't believe

that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.

>

> Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of

doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate

regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the

percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient

benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully

ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their

pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients

and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it

presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly.

>

> As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a

SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an

attorney.

>

> Respectfully,

>

> Ben

>

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote:

>

>> IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private

listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, " IME

Abuse: A Plan for an End. "

>>

>>

>> To wit: " In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that

allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the

real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest

of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical

consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different

states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not

told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the

paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money! " See more at:

http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a\

-plan-for-an-end.html

>>

>> Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group,

so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does

Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the

treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and

the treating doc)?

>>

>> Sears, DC, IAYT

>> 1218 NW 21st Ave

>> Portland, Oregon 97209

>> v: 503-225-0255

>> f: 503-525-6902

>> www.docbones.com

> --

> Ben

> Attorney at Law

>

> 1205 NW 25th Avenue

> Portland, OR 97210

>

> p. (503) 224-1787

> f. (888) 659-7963

> e. Ben@...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> All posts must adhere to OregonDCs rules located on homepage at:

/

> Tell a colleague about OregonDCs! (must be licensed Oregon DC)

Links

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Dr. Burke. I think we can put a quick and simple end to this

discussion, at least as it relates to the testimony you provided, if

you would simply state to this list, and your colleagues, what

percentage of IMEs you perform are done at the request of the

Defense, and what percentage of IMEs you do at the request of the

Plaintiff.

Along with this information, could you put into percentages, even to

the closest 10%, the reports you write where your opinion is that

the care provided to the patient needed to be continued, and what

percentage, again to the nearest 10% where you stated the care was

unnecessary, and should be stopped.

I think this entire list would be greatly appreciative of you if you

would simply put this information out there for us all to read and

digest.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Grice, DC

Albany, OR

On 3/1/2012 3:44 PM, mjqpdc wrote:

I quoted some of these same sentences from the American

Chiropractor article in my testimony to the House

Healthcare Committee last week. My point was that opinions

like these, which paint all IMEs with the same brush, have

prejudiced many in the profession, including members of

the OBCE, against chiropractors who do IMEs to the extent

that we can no longer get a fair hearing from the Board.

(Of course, Dave McTeague and Dr. Coté denied that in

their testimony.) Articles like this are divisive. They do

not increase anyone's understanding of what an IME is, how

it's done, or what the IME doctor considers in the

evaluation. It only fosters the erroneous idea that a

"good" IME supports the treating chiropractor's opinion

and a "bad" IME cuts off care. That is an extreme

oversimplification, but most people seem to be satisfied

with it.

There are chiropractors whose patients are almost never

sent for IMEs, and in those rare instances the IME

doctor's opinion usually supports the treating doc. This

happens because the treating DC does a proper intake

history and physical examination, makes a reasonable

diagnosis based on the available data, provides reasonable

and medically necessary care, and documents everything in

a manner that makes sense and is easily understood by

others reading the chart. Furthermore, in those cases

where the independent examiner provides an unreasonable

opinion not based on the available data, the treating

doctor is then in a position to rebut the IME effectively.

In our profession, IMEs are a highly contentious issue,

far more so than in some other healthcare disciplines. The

article in the American Chiropractor only serves to add

fuel to the fire. There is a lot more going on than can be

understood by assuming an "us versus them" attitude.

Respectfully,

J. Burke, D.C.

> > >

> > >

> > > I agree whole heartedly!!! We need to

settle disputed within

> > ourselves not run to someone else outside our

profession to "fix"

> > our problems. I fear that this has un done a lot

of progress that

> > has happened for us in Salem. This has the

appearance of our "in

> > fighting" which most legislators shy ed away

from until we united.

> > IMHO it makes us look weak and childish!!!! Now

we have to watch

> > out that the legislature does not sees us as

such and try to

> > disband our board and have us regulated by the

medical board. How

> > fun would that be!!!!

> > >

> > > Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave

> > > Day, Or. 97845

> > > office 541-575-1063

> > > fax 541-575-5554

> > >

> > > rongrice@;

> > > From: bluepearl2001@

> > > Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:46:26 +0000

> > > Subject: Re: IME Testimony

during the House

> > Health Committee Hearing.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > This is very disappointing and upsetting to

me. Everyone needs to

> > take stock and remember how precious our

profession in, regardless

> > of 'what side of the isle' one might be on.

Very, very disappointed

> > to hear this.

> > > Ann DC

> > >

> > > From: "G" <rongrice@>

> > >

> > > Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:33:14

PM

> > > Subject: IME Testimony

during the House Health

> > Committee Hearing.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Dear Listmates.

> > >

> > > Yesterday at the House Health Committee

hearing regarding how the

> > OBCE deals with complaints, specifically in

regards to IMEs, three

> > DCs testified in front of the committee. Their

testimony can be

> > listened to at http://www.leg.state.or.us/listn/.

> > >

> > > During that testimony, direct quotes from

this DC List serve were

> > entered into the record of the House Health

Committee hearing. I

> > find this blatant violation of List serve rules

to be appalling. It

> > is my opinion that the doctors of record who

were testifying at

> > this committee, who violated these rules should

be expelled from

> > having the privilege of membership on this list.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Many forums on the net are anonymous. The

reason we have

> > signature requirements on this list is that we

are expected to

> > respect everyone's opinion here, realizing that

this will ensure

> > professional dialogue. When someone violates

that tenant, then the

> > list will die and we will lose this wonderful

tool. It also speaks

> > volumes to the integrity of the persons

violating this rule. If

> > they are so willing to throw their colleagues

under the bus in

> > front of the Oregon Legislature, especially when

there are non-

> > professional audience members in the gallery,

and when one of those

> > in attendance was a medical physician testifying

on another matter,

> > we look very unprofessional and it appears to

the audience that we

> > need to have greater control put on us by the

Oregon Legislature.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I would like to remind all of us, be

careful what we say on this

> > list, at least as long as particular people have

no concern about

> > keeping our comments private.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Sincerely, and with tremendous respect for

the integrity of this

> > list.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Grice, DC

> > >

> > > Albany, OR

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

By the way,

As my long winded post indicates: It’s the ordering of the Exam that’s the rub.

IME’s validity and objectiveness aside, it’s having an adjuster without any medical training or education deciding to personally order an IME on a case where there has been absolutely NO cause to do so. This is where it all begins. Having people without any training stick their nose into the case and potentially adversely effect it, is ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks that these are always justified or that there HAS to be something wrong with the doctors record keeping etc. to trigger an IME order, simply hasn’t seen enough PIP patients. Period. Yes, Record keeping can be improved by many doctors and this will indeed help some avoid an IME. However, we’ve seen enough to conclude that the ordering of these exams is arbitrary. Some will say there are perhaps reasons that we don’t see or know of that cause the order. Again, to that I say, sure, perhaps on a case here and there. BUT, the overwhelming majority have no “secret” reason that we are unaware of except to see if they can get the persons care shut down.

Talk to any doctor that documents well and sees a lot of PIP. They will agree. A doctor who “rarely” gets IME’d simply doesn’t see a lot of PIP. Period.

ph Medlin D.C

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:04 PM

M. s, D.C.

Absolutely.

To fantasize that this is strictly about doctors note taking is to be naïve to the greatest order. There is no standard to the process. Rebuttals? When the Documentation has been rock solid and has determined a clear method of injury and justification for care, it proves there is something wrong with the system when a Rebuttal is necessary. It PROVES the IME was not performed correctly.

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that the legislature was minimizing the detriment of a poor IME to the patient. Allow me to give you the freshest example out of practice today March 1st 2012:

Patient was driving mother’s vehicle. They were at a stop and struck at 50-60mph. Seat backs broke (most of my cases don’t break the seatback). Patient and mother were sent to ER via ambulance. Patient suffered severe strains of Neck and Upper Back. She mentioned in the ER that her Ear hurt. They passed it off as the cervical collar pinching it.

Patient appeared 3 days after accident with extensive Whiplash/Strains and a compression fracture of T2. Treated for 8 visits and did a Re-exam. Pain levels dropped from 8 of 10 to 6-7. Wrote Report sent off called adjuster. Treated another 8 visits gradually instituting more motion and light strength. Did Re-eval. On this visit patient noted that she was having a “bad day” and the pain levels were the same if not exacerbated. She also noted that the ear pain had been getting severe and making her neck worse. She also has emotional problems and is medicated for depression and anxiety and she felt that emotional health was also the reason for the exacerbation....

All of this was noted. I mentioned in the report that she made mention of ear pain on ER visit initially and that I was sending her for a TMJ referral (she has obvious dysfunction). Sent report to adjuster with follow up call.

Today, 5 days after the last visit which was her last re-eval, she stated that the adjuster called her to inform her that she is being IME’d and all bills would not be paid pending exam. She’s freaking out, can’t keep the TMJ appt. due to fear of inability to pay, crying on the table as I was treating her, already a psychological wreck.......

Her mother is still being treated by a chiro, had less extensive injuries, has been seen at the same frequency and has not been ordered to see IME. However, the mother is the policy holder.

This is a case where it’s not even a Poor IME, but simply the order of one that has been detrimental to the patient and has no basis from what I can see. The adjuster told her he wants to make sure she’s receiving the proper treatment.

I’m pretty confident it was the order of the TMJ referral that caused the IME order, but at this point who knows. Our documentation is solid. She’s been seen 16 times. Today even mentioned that the pain levels have gone down, but that her ear is “killing” her.

ph Medlin D.C.

RR

Guest guest

Well Joe I see a lot of PIP cases and I don’t get IME’d much and when I do they lose……as per the claims adjusters the OCA is discussing firing back up our Insurance Relations work putting a notebook of information together supporting what we do, why we do it and what constitutes appropriate care……we are considering giving presentations to the claims representatives again as well as hosting an annual informational meeting of all stakeholders to have presentations, break out round table discussions of current “hot buttons,” possible solutions and action steps…….in short educate the claims representatives and they us as per what they see on their end, what ticks them off and come together by consensus as per how to address certain issues…. Vern Saboe From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ph MedlinSent: Friday, March 02, 2012 8:53 AM M. s, D.C.Cc: Oregon ChiropractorsSubject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. By the way, As my long winded post indicates: It’s the ordering of the Exam that’s the rub. IME’s validity and objectiveness aside, it’s having an adjuster without any medical training or education deciding to personally order an IME on a case where there has been absolutely NO cause to do so. This is where it all begins. Having people without any training stick their nose into the case and potentially adversely effect it, is ridiculous. Anyone who thinks that these are always justified or that there HAS to be something wrong with the doctors record keeping etc. to trigger an IME order, simply hasn’t seen enough PIP patients. Period. Yes, Record keeping can be improved by many doctors and this will indeed help some avoid an IME. However, we’ve seen enough to conclude that the ordering of these exams is arbitrary. Some will say there are perhaps reasons that we don’t see or know of that cause the order. Again, to that I say, sure, perhaps on a case here and there. BUT, the overwhelming majority have no “secret” reason that we are unaware of except to see if they can get the persons care shut down. Talk to any doctor that documents well and sees a lot of PIP. They will agree. A doctor who “rarely” gets IME’d simply doesn’t see a lot of PIP. Period. ph Medlin D.C From: ph Medlin Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:04 PM M. s, D.C. Cc: Oregon Chiropractors Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. Absolutely. To fantasize that this is strictly about doctors note taking is to be naïve to the greatest order. There is no standard to the process. Rebuttals? When the Documentation has been rock solid and has determined a clear method of injury and justification for care, it proves there is something wrong with the system when a Rebuttal is necessary. It PROVES the IME was not performed correctly. Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that the legislature was minimizing the detriment of a poor IME to the patient. Allow me to give you the freshest example out of practice today March 1st 2012: Patient was driving mother’s vehicle. They were at a stop and struck at 50-60mph. Seat backs broke (most of my cases don’t break the seatback). Patient and mother were sent to ER via ambulance. Patient suffered severe strains of Neck and Upper Back. She mentioned in the ER that her Ear hurt. They passed it off as the cervical collar pinching it. Patient appeared 3 days after accident with extensive Whiplash/Strains and a compression fracture of T2. Treated for 8 visits and did a Re-exam. Pain levels dropped from 8 of 10 to 6-7. Wrote Report sent off called adjuster. Treated another 8 visits gradually instituting more motion and light strength. Did Re-eval. On this visit patient noted that she was having a “bad day” and the pain levels were the same if not exacerbated. She also noted that the ear pain had been getting severe and making her neck worse. She also has emotional problems and is medicated for depression and anxiety and she felt that emotional health was also the reason for the exacerbation.... All of this was noted. I mentioned in the report that she made mention of ear pain on ER visit initially and that I was sending her for a TMJ referral (she has obvious dysfunction). Sent report to adjuster with follow up call. Today, 5 days after the last visit which was her last re-eval, she stated that the adjuster called her to inform her that she is being IME’d and all bills would not be paid pending exam. She’s freaking out, can’t keep the TMJ appt. due to fear of inability to pay, crying on the table as I was treating her, already a psychological wreck....... Her mother is still being treated by a chiro, had less extensive injuries, has been seen at the same frequency and has not been ordered to see IME. However, the mother is the policy holder. This is a case where it’s not even a Poor IME, but simply the order of one that has been detrimental to the patient and has no basis from what I can see. The adjuster told her he wants to make sure she’s receiving the proper treatment. I’m pretty confident it was the order of the TMJ referral that caused the IME order, but at this point who knows. Our documentation is solid. She’s been seen 16 times. Today even mentioned that the pain levels have gone down, but that her ear is “killing” her. Can’t wait to see the IME report on this one. ph Medlin D.C. From: M. s, D.C. Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:20 PMCc: Oregon Chiropractors Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. If we establish an " independent review " system in Oregon (diverse board--opinion reports only--no regulatory authority), that insurance companies, patients, and other doctors could refer cases to in order to get a TRUE independent opinion (and maybe even mediation/arbitration) the NEED for IME's from insurance companies would drop drastically. It would be only those case that really fall " outside the norm " that would force the insurance company to utilize an IME...(so, here's hopin' we can find a solution to the IME dilemma in Oregon!). (:-) RR Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. Dr. Sears, Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and " a physician-patient relationship is neither sought nor created. " In other words, I don't believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly. As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an attorney. Respectfully,Ben On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote:> IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, " IME Abuse: A Plan for an End. " > > > To wit: " In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money! " See more at: http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a-plan-for-an-end.html> > Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and the treating doc)?> > Sears, DC, IAYT> 1218 NW 21st Ave> Portland, Oregon 97209> v: 503-225-0255> f: 503-525-6902> www.docbones.com--Ben Attorney at Law1205 NW 25th AvenuePortland, OR 97210p. (503) 224-1787f. (888) 659-7963e. Ben@...------------------------------------All posts must adhere to OregonDCs rules located on homepage at: /Tell a colleague about OregonDCs! (must be licensed Oregon DC)

Guest guest

I meant to say quoting Dr. Burke : “There are chiropractors who’s patients are almost never sent for IMEsâ€....to this I was saying they must not see a lot of PIP.

I too don’t get a high percentage of IME’s, but it happens and has been happening more lately. Nonetheless I don’t think we can hang our hat on the reason for the lack of IME requests on our patients as purely a record keeping issue. This is just blatantly false.

ph Medlin D.C.

Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 10:55 AM

'ph Medlin' ; ' M. s, D.C.'

Cc: 'Oregon Chiropractors'

Subject: RE: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

Well Joe I see a lot of PIP cases and I don’t get IME’d much and when I do they lose……as per the claims adjusters the OCA is discussing firing back up our Insurance Relations work putting a notebook of information together supporting what we do, why we do it and what constitutes appropriate care……we are considering giving presentations to the claims representatives again as well as hosting an annual informational meeting of all stakeholders to have presentations, break out round table discussions of current “hot buttons,†possible solutions and action steps…….in short educate the claims representatives and they us as per what they see on their end, what ticks them off and come together by consensus as per how to address certain issues….

Vern Saboe

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ph MedlinSent: Friday, March 02, 2012 8:53 AM M. s, D.C.Cc: Oregon ChiropractorsSubject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

By the way,

As my long winded post indicates: It’s the ordering of the Exam that’s the rub.

IME’s validity and objectiveness aside, it’s having an adjuster without any medical training or education deciding to personally order an IME on a case where there has been absolutely NO cause to do so. This is where it all begins. Having people without any training stick their nose into the case and potentially adversely effect it, is ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks that these are always justified or that there HAS to be something wrong with the doctors record keeping etc. to trigger an IME order, simply hasn’t seen enough PIP patients. Period. Yes, Record keeping can be improved by many doctors and this will indeed help some avoid an IME. However, we’ve seen enough to conclude that the ordering of these exams is arbitrary. Some will say there are perhaps reasons that we don’t see or know of that cause the order. Again, to that I say, sure, perhaps on a case here and there. BUT, the overwhelming majority have no “secret†reason that we are unaware of except to see if they can get the persons care shut down.

Talk to any doctor that documents well and sees a lot of PIP. They will agree. A doctor who “rarely†gets IME’d simply doesn’t see a lot of PIP. Period.

ph Medlin D.C

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:04 PM

M. s, D.C.

Absolutely.

Patient appeared 3 days after accident with extensive Whiplash/Strains and a compression fracture of T2. Treated for 8 visits and did a Re-exam. Pain levels dropped from 8 of 10 to 6-7. Wrote Report sent off called adjuster. Treated another 8 visits gradually instituting more motion and light strength. Did Re-eval. On this visit patient noted that she was having a “bad day†and the pain levels were the same if not exacerbated. She also noted that the ear pain had been getting severe and making her neck worse. She also has emotional problems and is medicated for depression and anxiety and she felt that emotional health was also the reason for the exacerbation....

I’m pretty confident it was the order of the TMJ referral that caused the IME order, but at this point who knows. Our documentation is solid. She’s been seen 16 times. Today even mentioned that the pain levels have gone down, but that her ear is “killing†her.

ph Medlin D.C.

RR

Guest guest

True…Vern Saboe From: ph Medlin [mailto:spinetree@...] Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 11:06 AM' M. s, D.C.'; vsaboeCc: 'Oregon Chiropractors'Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. I meant to say quoting Dr. Burke : “There are chiropractors who’s patients are almost never sent for IMEsâ€....to this I was saying they must not see a lot of PIP. I too don’t get a high percentage of IME’s, but it happens and has been happening more lately. Nonetheless I don’t think we can hang our hat on the reason for the lack of IME requests on our patients as purely a record keeping issue. This is just blatantly false. ph Medlin D.C. From: vsaboe Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 10:55 AM'ph Medlin' ; ' M. s, D.C.' Cc: 'Oregon Chiropractors' Subject: RE: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. Well Joe I see a lot of PIP cases and I don’t get IME’d much and when I do they lose……as per the claims adjusters the OCA is discussing firing back up our Insurance Relations work putting a notebook of information together supporting what we do, why we do it and what constitutes appropriate care……we are considering giving presentations to the claims representatives again as well as hosting an annual informational meeting of all stakeholders to have presentations, break out round table discussions of current “hot buttons,†possible solutions and action steps…….in short educate the claims representatives and they us as per what they see on their end, what ticks them off and come together by consensus as per how to address certain issues….Vern SaboeFrom: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ph MedlinSent: Friday, March 02, 2012 8:53 AM M. s, D.C.Cc: Oregon ChiropractorsSubject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. By the way,As my long winded post indicates: It’s the ordering of the Exam that’s the rub.IME’s validity and objectiveness aside, it’s having an adjuster without any medical training or education deciding to personally order an IME on a case where there has been absolutely NO cause to do so. This is where it all begins. Having people without any training stick their nose into the case and potentially adversely effect it, is ridiculous.Anyone who thinks that these are always justified or that there HAS to be something wrong with the doctors record keeping etc. to trigger an IME order, simply hasn’t seen enough PIP patients. Period. Yes, Record keeping can be improved by many doctors and this will indeed help some avoid an IME. However, we’ve seen enough to conclude that the ordering of these exams is arbitrary. Some will say there are perhaps reasons that we don’t see or know of that cause the order. Again, to that I say, sure, perhaps on a case here and there. BUT, the overwhelming majority have no “secret†reason that we are unaware of except to see if they can get the persons care shut down.Talk to any doctor that documents well and sees a lot of PIP. They will agree. A doctor who “rarely†gets IME’d simply doesn’t see a lot of PIP. Period. ph Medlin D.CFrom: ph Medlin Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:04 PM M. s, D.C. Cc: Oregon Chiropractors Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. Absolutely. To fantasize that this is strictly about doctors note taking is to be naïve to the greatest order. There is no standard to the process. Rebuttals? When the Documentation has been rock solid and has determined a clear method of injury and justification for care, it proves there is something wrong with the system when a Rebuttal is necessary. It PROVES the IME was not performed correctly. Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that the legislature was minimizing the detriment of a poor IME to the patient. Allow me to give you the freshest example out of practice today March 1st 2012:Patient was driving mother’s vehicle. They were at a stop and struck at 50-60mph. Seat backs broke (most of my cases don’t break the seatback). Patient and mother were sent to ER via ambulance. Patient suffered severe strains of Neck and Upper Back. She mentioned in the ER that her Ear hurt. They passed it off as the cervical collar pinching it.Patient appeared 3 days after accident with extensive Whiplash/Strains and a compression fracture of T2. Treated for 8 visits and did a Re-exam. Pain levels dropped from 8 of 10 to 6-7. Wrote Report sent off called adjuster. Treated another 8 visits gradually instituting more motion and light strength. Did Re-eval. On this visit patient noted that she was having a “bad day†and the pain levels were the same if not exacerbated. She also noted that the ear pain had been getting severe and making her neck worse. She also has emotional problems and is medicated for depression and anxiety and she felt that emotional health was also the reason for the exacerbation....All of this was noted. I mentioned in the report that she made mention of ear pain on ER visit initially and that I was sending her for a TMJ referral (she has obvious dysfunction). Sent report to adjuster with follow up call.Today, 5 days after the last visit which was her last re-eval, she stated that the adjuster called her to inform her that she is being IME’d and all bills would not be paid pending exam. She’s freaking out, can’t keep the TMJ appt. due to fear of inability to pay, crying on the table as I was treating her, already a psychological wreck.......Her mother is still being treated by a chiro, had less extensive injuries, has been seen at the same frequency and has not been ordered to see IME. However, the mother is the policy holder.This is a case where it’s not even a Poor IME, but simply the order of one that has been detrimental to the patient and has no basis from what I can see. The adjuster told her he wants to make sure she’s receiving the proper treatment. I’m pretty confident it was the order of the TMJ referral that caused the IME order, but at this point who knows. Our documentation is solid. She’s been seen 16 times. Today even mentioned that the pain levels have gone down, but that her ear is “killing†her.Can’t wait to see the IME report on this one.ph Medlin D.C.From: M. s, D.C. Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:20 PMCc: Oregon Chiropractors Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. If we establish an " independent review " system in Oregon (diverse board--opinion reports only--no regulatory authority), that insurance companies, patients, and other doctors could refer cases to in order to get a TRUE independent opinion (and maybe even mediation/arbitration) the NEED for IME's from insurance companies would drop drastically.It would be only those case that really fall " outside the norm " that would force the insurance company to utilize an IME...(so, here's hopin' we can find a solution to the IME dilemma in Oregon!). (:-)RR Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.Dr. Sears, Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and " a physician-patient relationship is neither sought nor created. " In other words, I don't believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly. As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an attorney. Respectfully,Ben On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote:> IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, " IME Abuse: A Plan for an End. " > > > To wit: " In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money! " See more at: http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a-plan-for-an-end.html> > Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and the treating doc)?> > Sears, DC, IAYT> 1218 NW 21st Ave> Portland, Oregon 97209> v: 503-225-0255> f: 503-525-6902> www.docbones.com--Ben Attorney at Law1205 NW 25th AvenuePortland, OR 97210p. (503) 224-1787f. (888) 659-7963e. Ben@...------------------------------------All posts must adhere to OregonDCs rules located on homepage at: /Tell a colleague about OregonDCs! (must be licensed Oregon DC)

Guest guest

And FWIW, PIP is rolling the dice when they issue a denial.  The insured’s/patient’s right to attorney’s fees vests 6 months after proof of loss, and a denial of anything other than the amount due for a date of service takes the PIP carrier outside of the safe harbor for fees.  That’s usually a denial of causation of injury or necessity of treatment.  PIP faces an ever-increasing exposure once they issue that denial.  In most cases I’ve filed, they pay up shortly after filing. The other risk PIP takes if the patient is still in treatment is opening the door to tort damages.  If the denial and consequent lack of treatment increase the injury, the insurer is on the hook for all consequences of the increase in the injuries, including noneconomics—pain and suffering and impairment of ADL’s.  It’s one of the few areas where Oregon law approaches the bad faith law of other jurisdictions. T. Hill, PC520 SW Sixth Avenue, Suite 1250Portland, OR  97204(503) 227-4330chill@...http://www.portlandinjurylaw.com From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ph MedlinSent: Friday, March 02, 2012 8:53 AM M. s, D.C.Cc: Oregon ChiropractorsSubject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. By the way, As my long winded post indicates: It’s the ordering of the Exam that’s the rub. IME’s validity and objectiveness aside, it’s having an adjuster without any medical training or education deciding to personally order an IME on a case where there has been absolutely NO cause to do so. This is where it all begins. Having people without any training stick their nose into the case and potentially adversely effect it, is ridiculous. Anyone who thinks that these are always justified or that there HAS to be something wrong with the doctors record keeping etc. to trigger an IME order, simply hasn’t seen enough PIP patients. Period. Yes, Record keeping can be improved by many doctors and this will indeed help some avoid an IME. However, we’ve seen enough to conclude that the ordering of these exams is arbitrary. Some will say there are perhaps reasons that we don’t see or know of that cause the order. Again, to that I say, sure, perhaps on a case here and there. BUT, the overwhelming majority have no “secret” reason that we are unaware of except to see if they can get the persons care shut down. Talk to any doctor that documents well and sees a lot of PIP. They will agree. A doctor who “rarely” gets IME’d simply doesn’t see a lot of PIP. Period. ph Medlin D.C From: ph Medlin Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:04 PM M. s, D.C. Cc: Oregon Chiropractors Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. Absolutely. To fantasize that this is strictly about doctors note taking is to be naïve to the greatest order. There is no standard to the process. Rebuttals? When the Documentation has been rock solid and has determined a clear method of injury and justification for care, it proves there is something wrong with the system when a Rebuttal is necessary. It PROVES the IME was not performed correctly. Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that the legislature was minimizing the detriment of a poor IME to the patient. Allow me to give you the freshest example out of practice today March 1st 2012: Patient was driving mother’s vehicle. They were at a stop and struck at 50-60mph. Seat backs broke (most of my cases don’t break the seatback). Patient and mother were sent to ER via ambulance. Patient suffered severe strains of Neck and Upper Back. She mentioned in the ER that her Ear hurt. They passed it off as the cervical collar pinching it. Patient appeared 3 days after accident with extensive Whiplash/Strains and a compression fracture of T2. Treated for 8 visits and did a Re-exam. Pain levels dropped from 8 of 10 to 6-7. Wrote Report sent off called adjuster. Treated another 8 visits gradually instituting more motion and light strength. Did Re-eval. On this visit patient noted that she was having a “bad day” and the pain levels were the same if not exacerbated. She also noted that the ear pain had been getting severe and making her neck worse. She also has emotional problems and is medicated for depression and anxiety and she felt that emotional health was also the reason for the exacerbation.... All of this was noted. I mentioned in the report that she made mention of ear pain on ER visit initially and that I was sending her for a TMJ referral (she has obvious dysfunction). Sent report to adjuster with follow up call. Today, 5 days after the last visit which was her last re-eval, she stated that the adjuster called her to inform her that she is being IME’d and all bills would not be paid pending exam. She’s freaking out, can’t keep the TMJ appt. due to fear of inability to pay, crying on the table as I was treating her, already a psychological wreck....... Her mother is still being treated by a chiro, had less extensive injuries, has been seen at the same frequency and has not been ordered to see IME. However, the mother is the policy holder. This is a case where it’s not even a Poor IME, but simply the order of one that has been detrimental to the patient and has no basis from what I can see. The adjuster told her he wants to make sure she’s receiving the proper treatment. I’m pretty confident it was the order of the TMJ referral that caused the IME order, but at this point who knows. Our documentation is solid. She’s been seen 16 times. Today even mentioned that the pain levels have gone down, but that her ear is “killing” her. Can’t wait to see the IME report on this one. ph Medlin D.C. From: M. s, D.C. Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:20 PMCc: Oregon Chiropractors Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. If we establish an " independent review " system in Oregon (diverse board--opinion reports only--no regulatory authority), that insurance companies, patients, and other doctors could refer cases to in order to get a TRUE independent opinion (and maybe even mediation/arbitration) the NEED for IME's from insurance companies would drop drastically. It would be only those case that really fall " outside the norm " that would force the insurance company to utilize an IME...(so, here's hopin' we can find a solution to the IME dilemma in Oregon!). (:-) RR Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing. Dr. Sears, Every IME report I have ever read is very careful to establish in writing that the visit is about evaluation, not treatment, and " a physician-patient relationship is neither sought nor created. " In other words, I don't believe that the IME doc has any heightened legal responsibility.Also, I agree fully with the excerpt's author. While some small percentage of doctors are incompetent, poor documentarians, and/or loathe to re-evaluate regularly, whatever proportion that might be is absolutely dwarfed by the percentage of IMEs that result in the partial or total limitation of patient benefits. Anyone who reads these reports regularly knows how cynical, willfully ignorant or cherry-picking these reports often are, in service of their pre-ordained results. For all the straw man arguments about fraudster patients and PIP mill practices as continuing justifications for the IME industry as it presently exists, in my humble opinion, money continues to talk, and loudly. As of last week though, I'm happy to report that I have now come across a SECOND thoughtful, thorough, and well-reasoned DC IME report in my career as an attorney. Respectfully,Ben On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Sears wrote:> IME abuse cannot be dismissed as sour-grape opinions from a (semi-) private listserv, as witnessed in this article from The American Chiropractor mag, " IME Abuse: A Plan for an End. " > > > To wit: " In a perfect world, the IME doctor renders a second opinion that allows for necessary care of covered issues of injured patients. However, in the real world, an IME doctor rarely gives an opinion that is in the best interest of the patient. In my 30 years of experience as a practicing doctor, a medical consultant, a medical-legal consultant that speaks to doctors in 46 different states and a former IME doctor, I have witnessed that the truth is usually not told by the IME doctor. The IME opinion usually sides with who writes the paycheck and, as the adage goes, it's always about the money! " See more at: http://www.theamericanchiropractor.com/articles-special-feature/5830-ime-abuse-a-plan-for-an-end.html> > Granted, we are each individuals before we are members of a particular group, so no one can be judged solely by his/her associations, My question is, does Oregon law treat IMEs as having the same doctor/patient relationship as the treating physician; or is it without such ethical protection of the patient (and the treating doc)?> > Sears, DC, IAYT> 1218 NW 21st Ave> Portland, Oregon 97209> v: 503-225-0255> f: 503-525-6902> www.docbones.com--Ben Attorney at Law1205 NW 25th AvenuePortland, OR 97210p. (503) 224-1787f. (888) 659-7963e. Ben@...------------------------------------All posts must adhere to OregonDCs rules located on homepage at: /Tell a colleague about OregonDCs! (must be licensed Oregon DC)

Guest guest

Dear Listmates ,I have something to add to this conversation concerning Dr.Burke's infamous testimony before the state legislature over a week ago concerning the alleged malfeasance of the OBCE.  I have listened to the entire testimony and have pondered Dr.Burke's long expose concerning this testimony.

I like many docs here in Oregon found plenty to get riled up about in considering this  entire episode of chiropractors feuding with each other in a very public venue.  I wish to expand on just one thing that really infuriated me about this entire event-and that is the very fact that this inter chiropractic  feud ended up being played out before  the Oregon State Legislature.

Dr. Burke has suggested that he and his colleague had no recourse but to go to  the legislature with their concerns regarding the Board.  His logic is seemingly  sound but what is lacking is a view of the bigger picture of Chiropractic and the well being of Oregon's population.  Let me explain.  Dr. Saboe and countless other Chiropractors have been working hard for well over a decade to build  a solid image of our profession with the  Oregon legislature.   The fruits of that effort are just now beginning to show up in the form of very promising legislation coming out of the Oregon legislature with reference to our good profession.

So why would any doctor who loves this profession risk ruining this image of chiropractic by dragging a inter chiropractic feud before this same legislative body?  I have already heard that some legislators have asked a noted DC " Are you guys fighting again " .  Great -just what we need at this pivotal time in health care change and reform-an image of  a profession in disarray and fighting like children amongst themselves.

Dr. Burke has stated that only the legislature has authority to regulate the  OBCE.  This is logically true but I believe Dr. Burke is failing to see the forest  for the trees.  I cannot believe that doctors with the intelligence, courage , and creativity of doctors Burke and Freedland could not find a way to rectify their concerns with the OBCE by working within the framework of our chiropractic community.

I cannot help but think of a powerful quote from the bible relating to settling disputes with our accusers (Mt.5:27-28)  " Make friends with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison..... " .   I would hope that we can resolve this present dispute and all future similar disputes within our profession without dragging the very public legislature into the picture.  If we loose the respect of this legislative body due to our public squabbling it may take years to rebuild our image.  And who knows what damage to our profession could occur during that time.  Consider what is going on In Florida right now.

This in my opinion is the big picture in this matter and I pray that those who love our profession and value the enormous good we can bring to all Oregonians will keep this vision in mind always. Schneider DC

PDX  

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM, mjqpdc <mjqpdc@...> wrote:

Dear colleagues and listserv members,

I'm writing to respond to some of the recent comments on this listserv regarding alleged violations of OregonDC listserv rules and airing our professions' " dirty laundry " in public.

I am one of the chiropractors who gave testimony before the House Healthcare Committee this past Wednesday. This was an information gathering hearing having to do with alleged malfeasance on the part of the Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners and alleged denial of due process by the Board to certain doctors against whom complaints were filed.

The matter that my colleagues and I brought before the House Committee is not something that could be resolved by, for example, meeting with the OCA executive board, as someone recently suggested in an off-list communication. The actions of the OBCE directly affect the public welfare. The Board is charged with serving the public, regulating the practice of chiropractic, promoting quality, and ensuring competent, ethical health care. The Board is not accountable to the OCA. It is not accountable, at least directly, to the chiropractic profession. It is only accountable to the people of Oregon through the executive branch of the Oregon government. Given the widely held prejudices against IMEs and the doctors who perform them, what impartial jurisdictions or venues exist within our profession where we could have aired our grievances?

Part of my testimony last Wednesday concerned members of the OBCE who had publicly expressed bias against doctors who perform IMEs. One member had used this listserv as a forum for announcing her prejudice. My testimony also concerned the records of a treating chiropractor which were reviewed by the Board as part of an investigation against another chiropractor. The treating chiropractor's records contained so many errors and contradictions that his reasoning and even his clinical competency might be questioned. After reviewing his records (in my capacity as an expert consultant in the case) I concluded that his continued practice could pose a danger to the public. The members of the Board had to have reviewed his records as part of the investigation of the other chiropractor. Yet they did not inquire further into the potential misconduct revealed in these records, something that might be considered obligatory given their mandate to protect the public. Instead, they sanctioned the doctor under investigation for violations that he clearly did not commit. Then they denied this doctor due process by not allowing him to rebut the charges prior to the Board's publication of them.

Is publicly charging a chiropractor before allowing him an opportunity to respond to the charges a case of airing dirty laundry, or is it malfeasance, especially when bias against the doctor's specialty was publicly expressed? What recourse did the accused chiropractor have other than proceeding to a hearing before an administrative law judge, a public proceeding? How could the concern about the Board's improper handling of this and other similar cases have been addressed privately within the profession? To what extent did the chiropractic profession contribute to this situation by repeatedly denouncing independent examiners in a public forum?

My concerns affect all chiropractors, not just those who do IMEs and record reviews. We need a regulatory board that handles all complaints in the same manner, regardless of each chiropractor's specialty. A complaint is not a presumption of guilt. The practice of chiropractic is a privilege granted to each of us by the state in which we practice, but having earned the privilege we each have the same right to due process. Imagine if you will that the Board was comprised of some members who had publicly expressed prejudice against chiropractors who practice Gonstead technique. If you are a Gonstead practitioner, and someone filed a complaint against you, would you consider it fair to be judged by the anti-Gonstead members of the Board? Would you think it was right if all other doctors were given the opportunity to appear in person to respond to the charges against them, but Gonstead practitioners were not? What would you and your Gonstead colleagues do under such circumstances? To which person, professional association, or public agency would you take your grievance?

In my testimony I quoted posts from the OregonDC listserv. I did not violate any of the listserv rules. Before testifying I checked the rules to make sure I would not violate any of them. I have copied them here.

1. Keep correspondence professional.

2. No personal attacks on list-serve members will be tolerated.

3. Always sign your e-mails with your first and last name.

4. The list-serve is not secure; your e-mail could end up anywhere. However, it is against the rules of the list-serve to copy, print, forward, or otherwise distribute correspondence written by another member without his or her consent, unless all personal identifiers have been removed.

5. Use subject line to describe the content of your post/response. Use " OT " in subject line if the post is " off the topic " of chiropractic.

6. When applying for list membership, YOU MUST include your FULL NAME and OBCE LICENSE NUMBER. You do not need to have a email address nor do you have to register with to join this group. However, registering with (by creating a login name and pass word), will give you MUCH more control of how you participate in the list-serve and will have full access to the information-rich archives going back to 1999.

Of these six rules, five of them have to do with the formatting and content of posts. Only Rule #4 concerns revealing information posted to the listserv. The rule does not prohibit revealing correspondence if " all personal identifiers have been removed. " That is exactly what I did. There is no rule against revealing the source of the quoted posts. Even if there was such a rule, it would do very little to restrict the dissemination of posted emails. Anyone wishing to do so could merely state that it was obtained from an Internet forum. In my testimony, and in the printed copies of the listserv posts that were distributed to the Committee members, all " personal identifiers " were redacted. One post mentioned the name of a doctor who is not on the listserv, and I removed his name as well. (I presume he is not a listserv member because the post was a personal attack on him, which Rule #2 would have prohibited.)

Rule #4 warns members that the listserv is not secure. Given that your email could end up anywhere, Rule #1, " Keep correspondence professional, " is very important. Unfortunately, some people do not follow this rule. The unprofessional posts provided me with evidence to support my allegations. For example, in a recent post a doctor claimed that another chiropractor who reviewed his patient's file " raped " his patient. I pointed out in a personal email to this doctor that his comment was unprofessional, but he insisted his comment was appropriate and refused to retract it. (Last Thursday this doctor complained on the listserv that my testimony made chiropractors " look very unprofessional. " ) I also mentioned two instances in which doctors posted correspondence on the listserv inciting their colleagues to submit complaints against IME chiropractors to the OBCE if their reports disagreed with the treating doctors' opinions.

If Rule #1 was consistently adhered to, there would be very little concern about publicizing listserv comments. Unfortunately, a lot of posts are unprofessional. As a chiropractor who performs IMEs and medical record reviews, I consider it unprofessional when chiropractors post insulting comments about their colleagues who perform these services. " Evil IMEs, " IME " hacks, " and " bogus IMEs " are only a few of the slams I've read in listserv correspondence. It would seem that listserv members don't consider these kinds of posts unprofessional but tacitly agree with the authors of such insults. The following is a quote from my testimony to the Healthcare Committee:

" IMEs are performed by providers in many healthcare disciplines. In most disciplines there is little controversy regarding IMEs. In the chiropractic profession, however, independent medical evaluations are a highly contentious matter. Chiropractors who perform IMEs are vilified by their colleagues. The term " insurance whore " is often heard in candid discussions. Generally, chiropractors tend to believe that their work should not be questioned, especially by other chiropractors, and they tend to think of chiropractors who do IMEs and record reviews as traitors to the profession. If these doctors are being paid by insurance companies, the thinking goes, then certainly their opinions must have been determined by the source payment. "

Whether or not you believe that the opinions of doctors who perform IMEs are for sale, it is unprofessional to discuss this topic in the manner in which it is commonly discussed on this listserv. And as the listserv is not secure (Rule #4), all of you who have submitted such correspondence have been, perhaps unwittingly, airing dirty laundry in public.

I hope this explanation will lend some clarity and additional understanding of the events leading up to last Wednesday's hearing as well as the necessity and validity of the testimony.

J. Burke, DC, DABCO

mjqpdc@...

>

>

> I agree whole heartedly!!! We need to settle disputed within ourselves not run to someone else outside our profession to " fix " our problems. I fear that this has un done a lot of progress that has happened for us in Salem. This has the appearance of our " in fighting " which most legislators shy ed away from until we united. IMHO it makes us look weak and childish!!!! Now we have to watch out that the legislature does not sees us as such and try to disband our board and have us regulated by the medical board. How fun would that be!!!!

>

> Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave

> Day, Or. 97845

> office 541-575-1063

> fax 541-575-5554

>

> rongrice@...;

> From: bluepearl2001@...

> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:46:26 +0000

> Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> This is very disappointing and upsetting to me. Everyone needs to take stock and remember how precious our profession in, regardless of 'what side of the isle' one might be on. Very, very disappointed to hear this.

> Ann DC

>

> From: " G " <rongrice@...>

>

> Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:33:14 PM

> Subject: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Dear Listmates.

>

> Yesterday at the House Health Committee hearing regarding how the OBCE deals with complaints, specifically in regards to IMEs, three DCs testified in front of the committee. Their testimony can be listened to at http://www.leg.state.or.us/listn/.

>

> During that testimony, direct quotes from this DC List serve were entered into the record of the House Health Committee hearing. I find this blatant violation of List serve rules to be appalling. It is my opinion that the doctors of record who were testifying at this committee, who violated these rules should be expelled from having the privilege of membership on this list.

>

>

>

> Many forums on the net are anonymous. The reason we have signature requirements on this list is that we are expected to respect everyone's opinion here, realizing that this will ensure professional dialogue. When someone violates that tenant, then the list will die and we will lose this wonderful tool. It also speaks volumes to the integrity of the persons violating this rule. If they are so willing to throw their colleagues under the bus in front of the Oregon Legislature, especially when there are non-professional audience members in the gallery, and when one of those in attendance was a medical physician testifying on another matter, we look very unprofessional and it appears to the audience that we need to have greater control put on us by the Oregon Legislature.

>

>

>

> I would like to remind all of us, be careful what we say on this list, at least as long as particular people have no concern about keeping our comments private.

>

>

>

> Sincerely, and with tremendous respect for the integrity of this list.

>

>

>

> Grice, DC

>

> Albany, OR

>

-- Schneider DC PDX

Guest guest

VERY well written, . Thank you for forwarding your thoughts. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com mjqpdc@...CC: From: portlandchiro1@...Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:38:25 -0800Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

Dear Listmates ,I have something to add to this conversation concerning Dr.Burke's infamous testimony before the state legislature over a week ago concerning the alleged malfeasance of the OBCE. I have listened to the entire testimony and have pondered Dr.Burke's long expose concerning this testimony.

I like many docs here in Oregon found plenty to get riled up about in considering this entire episode of chiropractors feuding with each other in a very public venue. I wish to expand on just one thing that really infuriated me about this entire event-and that is the very fact that this inter chiropractic feud ended up being played out before the Oregon State Legislature.

Dr. Burke has suggested that he and his colleague had no recourse but to go to the legislature with their concerns regarding the Board. His logic is seemingly sound but what is lacking is a view of the bigger picture of Chiropractic and the well being of Oregon's population. Let me explain. Dr. Saboe and countless other Chiropractors have been working hard for well over a decade to build a solid image of our profession with the Oregon legislature. The fruits of that effort are just now beginning to show up in the form of very promising legislation coming out of the Oregon legislature with reference to our good profession.

So why would any doctor who loves this profession risk ruining this image of chiropractic by dragging a inter chiropractic feud before this same legislative body? I have already heard that some legislators have asked a noted DC "Are you guys fighting again". Great -just what we need at this pivotal time in health care change and reform-an image of a profession in disarray and fighting like children amongst themselves.

Dr. Burke has stated that only the legislature has authority to regulate the OBCE. This is logically true but I believe Dr. Burke is failing to see the forest for the trees. I cannot believe that doctors with the intelligence, courage , and creativity of doctors Burke and Freedland could not find a way to rectify their concerns with the OBCE by working within the framework of our chiropractic community.

I cannot help but think of a powerful quote from the bible relating to settling disputes with our accusers (Mt.5:27-28) "Make friends with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison.....". I would hope that we can resolve this present dispute and all future similar disputes within our profession without dragging the very public legislature into the picture. If we loose the respect of this legislative body due to our public squabbling it may take years to rebuild our image. And who knows what damage to our profession could occur during that time. Consider what is going on In Florida right now.

This in my opinion is the big picture in this matter and I pray that those who love our profession and value the enormous good we can bring to all Oregonians will keep this vision in mind always. Schneider DC

PDX

I'm writing to respond to some of the recent comments on this listserv regarding alleged violations of OregonDC listserv rules and airing our professions' "dirty laundry" in public.

I am one of the chiropractors who gave testimony before the House Healthcare Committee this past Wednesday. This was an information gathering hearing having to do with alleged malfeasance on the part of the Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners and alleged denial of due process by the Board to certain doctors against whom complaints were filed.

The matter that my colleagues and I brought before the House Committee is not something that could be resolved by, for example, meeting with the OCA executive board, as someone recently suggested in an off-list communication. The actions of the OBCE directly affect the public welfare. The Board is charged with serving the public, regulating the practice of chiropractic, promoting quality, and ensuring competent, ethical health care. The Board is not accountable to the OCA. It is not accountable, at least directly, to the chiropractic profession. It is only accountable to the people of Oregon through the executive branch of the Oregon government. Given the widely held prejudices against IMEs and the doctors who perform them, what impartial jurisdictions or venues exist within our profession where we could have aired our grievances?

Part of my testimony last Wednesday concerned members of the OBCE who had publicly expressed bias against doctors who perform IMEs. One member had used this listserv as a forum for announcing her prejudice. My testimony also concerned the records of a treating chiropractor which were reviewed by the Board as part of an investigation against another chiropractor. The treating chiropractor's records contained so many errors and contradictions that his reasoning and even his clinical competency might be questioned. After reviewing his records (in my capacity as an expert consultant in the case) I concluded that his continued practice could pose a danger to the public. The members of the Board had to have reviewed his records as part of the investigation of the other chiropractor. Yet they did not inquire further into the potential misconduct revealed in these records, something that might be considered obligatory given their mandate to protect the public. Instead, they sanctioned the doctor under investigation for violations that he clearly did not commit. Then they denied this doctor due process by not allowing him to rebut the charges prior to the Board's publication of them.

Is publicly charging a chiropractor before allowing him an opportunity to respond to the charges a case of airing dirty laundry, or is it malfeasance, especially when bias against the doctor's specialty was publicly expressed? What recourse did the accused chiropractor have other than proceeding to a hearing before an administrative law judge, a public proceeding? How could the concern about the Board's improper handling of this and other similar cases have been addressed privately within the profession? To what extent did the chiropractic profession contribute to this situation by repeatedly denouncing independent examiners in a public forum?

My concerns affect all chiropractors, not just those who do IMEs and record reviews. We need a regulatory board that handles all complaints in the same manner, regardless of each chiropractor's specialty. A complaint is not a presumption of guilt. The practice of chiropractic is a privilege granted to each of us by the state in which we practice, but having earned the privilege we each have the same right to due process. Imagine if you will that the Board was comprised of some members who had publicly expressed prejudice against chiropractors who practice Gonstead technique. If you are a Gonstead practitioner, and someone filed a complaint against you, would you consider it fair to be judged by the anti-Gonstead members of the Board? Would you think it was right if all other doctors were given the opportunity to appear in person to respond to the charges against them, but Gonstead practitioners were not? What would you and your Gonstead colleagues do under such circumstances? To which person, professional association, or public agency would you take your grievance?

In my testimony I quoted posts from the OregonDC listserv. I did not violate any of the listserv rules. Before testifying I checked the rules to make sure I would not violate any of them. I have copied them here.

4. The list-serve is not secure; your e-mail could end up anywhere. However, it is against the rules of the list-serve to copy, print, forward, or otherwise distribute correspondence written by another member without his or her consent, unless all personal identifiers have been removed.

5. Use subject line to describe the content of your post/response. Use "OT" in subject line if the post is "off the topic" of chiropractic.

6. When applying for list membership, YOU MUST include your FULL NAME and OBCE LICENSE NUMBER. You do not need to have a email address nor do you have to register with to join this group. However, registering with (by creating a login name and pass word), will give you MUCH more control of how you participate in the list-serve and will have full access to the information-rich archives going back to 1999.

Of these six rules, five of them have to do with the formatting and content of posts. Only Rule #4 concerns revealing information posted to the listserv. The rule does not prohibit revealing correspondence if "all personal identifiers have been removed." That is exactly what I did. There is no rule against revealing the source of the quoted posts. Even if there was such a rule, it would do very little to restrict the dissemination of posted emails. Anyone wishing to do so could merely state that it was obtained from an Internet forum. In my testimony, and in the printed copies of the listserv posts that were distributed to the Committee members, all "personal identifiers" were redacted. One post mentioned the name of a doctor who is not on the listserv, and I removed his name as well. (I presume he is not a listserv member because the post was a personal attack on him, which Rule #2 would have prohibited.)

Rule #4 warns members that the listserv is not secure. Given that your email could end up anywhere, Rule #1, "Keep correspondence professional," is very important. Unfortunately, some people do not follow this rule. The unprofessional posts provided me with evidence to support my allegations. For example, in a recent post a doctor claimed that another chiropractor who reviewed his patient's file "raped" his patient. I pointed out in a personal email to this doctor that his comment was unprofessional, but he insisted his comment was appropriate and refused to retract it. (Last Thursday this doctor complained on the listserv that my testimony made chiropractors "look very unprofessional.") I also mentioned two instances in which doctors posted correspondence on the listserv inciting their colleagues to submit complaints against IME chiropractors to the OBCE if their reports disagreed with the treating doctors' opinions.

If Rule #1 was consistently adhered to, there would be very little concern about publicizing listserv comments. Unfortunately, a lot of posts are unprofessional. As a chiropractor who performs IMEs and medical record reviews, I consider it unprofessional when chiropractors post insulting comments about their colleagues who perform these services. "Evil IMEs," IME "hacks," and "bogus IMEs" are only a few of the slams I've read in listserv correspondence. It would seem that listserv members don't consider these kinds of posts unprofessional but tacitly agree with the authors of such insults. The following is a quote from my testimony to the Healthcare Committee:

"IMEs are performed by providers in many healthcare disciplines. In most disciplines there is little controversy regarding IMEs. In the chiropractic profession, however, independent medical evaluations are a highly contentious matter. Chiropractors who perform IMEs are vilified by their colleagues. The term "insurance whore" is often heard in candid discussions. Generally, chiropractors tend to believe that their work should not be questioned, especially by other chiropractors, and they tend to think of chiropractors who do IMEs and record reviews as traitors to the profession. If these doctors are being paid by insurance companies, the thinking goes, then certainly their opinions must have been determined by the source payment."

Whether or not you believe that the opinions of doctors who perform IMEs are for sale, it is unprofessional to discuss this topic in the manner in which it is commonly discussed on this listserv. And as the listserv is not secure (Rule #4), all of you who have submitted such correspondence have been, perhaps unwittingly, airing dirty laundry in public.

I hope this explanation will lend some clarity and additional understanding of the events leading up to last Wednesday's hearing as well as the necessity and validity of the testimony.

J. Burke, DC, DABCO

mjqpdc@...

>

>

> I agree whole heartedly!!! We need to settle disputed within ourselves not run to someone else outside our profession to "fix" our problems. I fear that this has un done a lot of progress that has happened for us in Salem. This has the appearance of our "in fighting" which most legislators shy ed away from until we united. IMHO it makes us look weak and childish!!!! Now we have to watch out that the legislature does not sees us as such and try to disband our board and have us regulated by the medical board. How fun would that be!!!!

>

> Day, Or. 97845

> office 541-575-1063

> fax 541-575-5554

>

> rongrice@...;

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> This is very disappointing and upsetting to me. Everyone needs to take stock and remember how precious our profession in, regardless of 'what side of the isle' one might be on. Very, very disappointed to hear this.

> Ann DC

>

> From: "G" <rongrice@...>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Dear Listmates.

>

> Yesterday at the House Health Committee hearing regarding how the OBCE deals with complaints, specifically in regards to IMEs, three DCs testified in front of the committee. Their testimony can be listened to at http://www.leg.state.or.us/listn/.

>

> During that testimony, direct quotes from this DC List serve were entered into the record of the House Health Committee hearing. I find this blatant violation of List serve rules to be appalling. It is my opinion that the doctors of record who were testifying at this committee, who violated these rules should be expelled from having the privilege of membership on this list.

>

>

>

> Many forums on the net are anonymous. The reason we have signature requirements on this list is that we are expected to respect everyone's opinion here, realizing that this will ensure professional dialogue. When someone violates that tenant, then the list will die and we will lose this wonderful tool. It also speaks volumes to the integrity of the persons violating this rule. If they are so willing to throw their colleagues under the bus in front of the Oregon Legislature, especially when there are non-professional audience members in the gallery, and when one of those in attendance was a medical physician testifying on another matter, we look very unprofessional and it appears to the audience that we need to have greater control put on us by the Oregon Legislature.

>

>

>

> I would like to remind all of us, be careful what we say on this list, at least as long as particular people have no concern about keeping our comments private.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Grice, DC

>

> Albany, OR

>

-- Schneider DC PDX

Guest guest

Dr. Grice,

I really don’t understand how answering your questions has much to do with the testimony I gave to the House Healthcare Committee, much less how it will put an end to this discussion. The HHC hearing was about whether the OBCE investigated complaints and publicized proposed disciplinary actions in a manner that was consistent with due process. While the cases concerned doctors who performed IMEs, the Board’s alleged malfeasance in these cases could be repeated in the cases of other chiropractors, too. All chiropractors should be concerned that they will be treated fairly. A complaint alone does not mean that the doctor has done anything wrong. Anyone can complain about anything, even the color of your eyes. But if the Board takes a trivial complaint and turns it into allegations unsupported by the evidence, and then does not allow the

accused doctor to respond to the charges before publicly sanctioning him, all licensees should be concerned.

Additionally, I cannot respond to your questions in terms of the dichotomies you’ve portrayed because they are based on erroneous assumptions, but I will attempt to address the issues you’ve raised.

First, I've done very few if any “plaintiff IMEs.†I am assuming that a plaintiff IME is an examination requested by a claimant’s lawyer in an injury case. I know this sounds naive, but does that happen very often? Isn’t the treating doctor usually the one who requests a second opinion exam to support the claim and his or her care of the patient? In my experience, plaintiffs’ lawyers don’t want to take a chance on a second opinion examination if they don’t know ahead of time how it will come out. If a plaintiff’s lawyer sends a client for an exam, and that exam does not turn out to be favorable to the client, then there’s no case. Once a lawyer asked me for a report on a patient I was treating who was his client. Among other questions he asked my opinion of anticipated permanent impairment when the patient became stationary.

I responded in the report that I anticipated no permanent impairment. Sometime later my office staff pointed out that the lawyer had not paid for the report although we had billed him several times. I called him up. He said, “You didn’t write a plaintiff’s report.†In other words, he didn’t want to pay for the report because I told him something that would not provide his client with much of a settlement, if any, and thus the lawyer would not earn his fee. I told him I don’t write plaintiff reports or defense reports. What I do is report the facts of the case and the opinions reasonably derived from those facts. (He eventually paid my bill.) Another time a personal injury lawyer asked if I could examine some of his clients to tell him if they were truly injured and if their injuries were permanent. He wanted me to do it as “work product,†i.e., something that is not discoverable, so if my opinion was adverse to his client’s case it

could not be entered into evidence. Of course, any time I examine someone there is at least a limited doctor-patient relationship. I am obligated to document the encounter, and that documentation must be released, either with the patient’s written authorization or by subpoena.

I would like to perform second opinion exams for plaintiffs’ attorneys, but the closest I’ve come is when my own patients have retained lawyers for their personal injury claims, and that has been quite infrequent since most of my MVA patients have recovered in a reasonable amount of time and had their claims paid without the necessity of legal representation. (By the way, IRC data shows that claimants represented by lawyers receive lower settlements on average than those without representation.) If my opinions as an IME doctor are purchased by the insurance company or defense attorney requesting the exam, as you and others so often assume, then why wouldn’t I be willing to sell my opinions to plaintiffs’ lawyers too? Why aren’t personal injury lawyers pounding on my door with checks in hand, asking me to support their clients’

claims with those opinions I’m supposedly selling? If I was truly prostituting my professional opinions, why would the source of the payment matter?

I've done second opinion exams for other chiropractors who want an expert consultation regarding a patient and not a predetermined opinion automatically supporting their patient’s care. I don’t consider that to be a plaintiff IME, and if there is no pending litigation, if the patient’s condition did not arise from a car crash or on-the-job injury, then there is no plaintiff.

Regarding your concern about “defense IMEs,†there are more than two types of IMEs. I don’t do plaintiff IMEs for reasons explained above, and only some of the evaluations I do are “defense†IMEs. I’m not sure what this term means to you, so I’ll define it. A defense IME is usually requested by an attorney who represents the bodily injury (BI) insurer of the party at fault. In such cases the insured is being sued for damages allegedly caused by the MVA. The plaintiff is the chiropractic patient. The defense IME is usually requested two to three years or more after the date of injury. By then the patient’s PIP benefits have expired. The patient has either finished care or is receiving treatment on some sort of maintenance or prn basis. There is almost always a claim of permanent partial disability in addition to pain and

suffering. To my point of view, the purpose of this type of IME is “to give both sides the information they need to settle the case,†in the words of Kent Saltonstall, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon and instructor at UW Medical School. I like his definition because, more often than not, my IME report helps to resolve disputed issues and allows for a settlement rather than leading to arbitration or trial.

An IME is of no help to the defense if the examiner’s opinions are contrary to the facts of the case and are not supported by the medical records and independent examination. I think most defense attorneys, and their client insurance companies, would rather settle than go to court with an impeachable expert. An examiner whose opinions consistently support the defense’s case while overlooking evidence to the contrary will not be doing defense IMEs and record reviews for very long.

IMEs are also done at the request of an insurance company’s special investigations unit (SIU). SIUs investigate suspected fraud. Sometimes these investigations result in criminal charges or law suits. In those cases the insurance company is the plaintiff and the doctor is the defendant. What do you call an IME done under such circumstances? A plaintiff IME?

Another possible scenario is when a chiropractor is being sued for malpractice or facing charges by a professional regulatory board. I suppose an IME could be requested, but my role in such cases has been to review the records and give an opinion. I’ve also consulted on behalf of patients who were claiming chiropractic malpractice.

Of course, IMEs are commonly requested by PIP insurers. Are you calling these “defense†IMEs? If so, then the use of the term in this context is incorrect. PIP IMEs are not defense IMEs. As you know, a PIP insurer is the patient’s own auto insurance carrier. There is a contractual relationship between the insurer and the patient, and the treating doctor is not a party to that contract. These contracts contain language stating that the insurer will pay for medical care resulting from a covered incident, like a motor vehicle collision, as long as the care is reasonable and medically necessary. So who determines if the care is reasonable and medically necessary? Certainly not the claims adjuster who doesn’t have any kind of medical degree, but they are trained to look for things in the records and bills that don’t make sense. Insurance

companies employ reviewers, usually nurses, to help the claims adjusters with questions, but sometimes a record review or IME is necessary to resolve uncertainties. The contract between the insurance company and the insured says that the PIP carrier has a right to send their insured to a doctor of their choice, or have the medical records reviewed, to determine issues regarding medical necessity. This does not violate the doctor-patient relationship since the insured is required to attend an IME under the terms of the policy. Of course, the treating doctor will say the care is medically necessary, but the doctor is obligated to document medical necessity which, in my experience at least, is often not done adequately. This is the type of IME a lot of chiropractors are up in arms about when it results in the insurer’s decision to stop paying for care.

Why would an insurance company want to stop their own insured from receiving care? Maybe because the insurance company is a business and businesses are supposed to be profitable. But there is also a risk that if the insurer denies medically necessary care the contract with the insured may have been breached. This could result in a “bad faith†lawsuit. If there are so many bad PIP IMEs resulting in denial of medically necessary care, as one might believe from reading all the listserv posts denouncing IME doctors, then I would expect there would be quite a few bad faith suits. If this IME problem you perceive is so egregious, it would seem that bad faith suits would be a very effective way to stop insurance companies from sending their insureds to so-called bogus IMEs. However, I’m not aware that this is happening.

There is another reason why PIP insurers send their insureds for IMEs, and it is also related to the profit motive, but in quite a different way. The reason is subrogation, a process by which the insurer can be reimbursed the costs of medical care and disability compensation by the BI insurer. This occurs in cases where the PIP insurer’s client was not the at-fault party. However, BI carriers are reluctant to pay for care that is not reasonable or medically necessary. So if the PIP carrier wants to get paid back, they must perform due diligence to determine that the diagnostic and treatment procedures they are paying for are medically necessary. When the IME supports the treatment it makes it easier for the PIP carrier to subrogate the claim.

I no longer do many PIP IMEs, but in many - probably the majority - of PIP IMEs I’ve done I’ve found that the patient needed more care, even if the care the patient was receiving was no longer reasonable and medically necessary. The treatment may have been appropriate in the beginning, and the patient may have improved to a point, but how long should the same treatment continue without further significant progress? Poor documentation is also very common. Often the treating doctor’s records lack documentation of clinical justification and medical necessity. Sometimes they are illegible. (The saying goes, if you didn’t write it down you didn’t do it. I would add to that, if it can’t be read then you may as well not have written it down.) Sometimes the doctor has done a very good job documenting that the patient is not improving.

Continued positive findings, even evidence-based outcomes, don’t necessarily justify ongoing care. Why should such care continue? It would certainly seem not to be in the patient’s best interest. Why should the payer continue to cover this kind of care? I often wonder if the patient would pay for such care in the absence of insurance.

In these kinds of cases I have recommended further treatment, albeit not the same treatment. Maybe the treating doctor couldn’t provide the type of treatment I recommended. Maybe the patient needed to see a provider from a different discipline. I think that narrowing the possible outcomes of an IME to either endorsing the patient’s current treatment or stopping it is unrealistic. The concern should be what is best for the patient, not the doctor.

And yes, there are cases where the patient has attained maximum benefit from care, or they have returned to preinjury status, or the patient’s subjective complaints outweigh the physical examination findings, or where pain behavior may be the predominant feature of the examination. Doctors from many healthcare disciplines can unwittingly turn patients presenting with acute injuries into chronic pain patients. In all these kinds of cases, should the independent examiner’s opinion always agree with the treating doctor? Is the IME doctor an insurance whore simply because there is a difference of opinion? What about doctors who continue to provide care that is not clinically justifiable? Are their opinions based on the payments they receive for such services?

I suspect you will feel that I did not answer your questions directly, Dr. Grice, but I hope you will understand that I cannot respond to them in the manner they were posed. Reducing this discussion to terms of plaintiff versus defense and opinions favoring the treating doctor’s care versus no care is unrealistic. Instead, I’ve tried to give you an honest and realistic appraisal of my role as an independent chiropractic consultant.

Very truly yours,

J. Burke, DC, DABCO From: Grice <rongrice@...> mjqpdc <mjqpdc@...> Cc: Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:39 PM Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

Dr. Burke. I think we can put a quick and simple end to this

discussion, at least as it relates to the testimony you provided, if

you would simply state to this list, and your colleagues, what

percentage of IMEs you perform are done at the request of the

Defense, and what percentage of IMEs you do at the request of the

Plaintiff.

Along with this information, could you put into percentages, even to

the closest 10%, the reports you write where your opinion is that

the care provided to the patient needed to be continued, and what

percentage, again to the nearest 10% where you stated the care was

unnecessary, and should be stopped.

I think this entire list would be greatly appreciative of you if you

would simply put this information out there for us all to read and

digest.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Grice, DC

Albany, OR

On 3/1/2012 3:44 PM, mjqpdc wrote:

I quoted some of these same sentences from the American

Chiropractor article in my testimony to the House

Healthcare Committee last week. My point was that opinions

like these, which paint all IMEs with the same brush, have

prejudiced many in the profession, including members of

the OBCE, against chiropractors who do IMEs to the extent

that we can no longer get a fair hearing from the Board.

(Of course, Dave McTeague and Dr. Coté denied that in

their testimony.) Articles like this are divisive. They do

not increase anyone's understanding of what an IME is, how

it's done, or what the IME doctor considers in the

evaluation. It only fosters the erroneous idea that a

"good" IME supports the treating chiropractor's opinion

and a "bad" IME cuts off care. That is an extreme

oversimplification, but most people seem to be satisfied

with it.

There are chiropractors whose patients are almost never

sent for IMEs, and in those rare instances the IME

doctor's opinion usually supports the treating doc. This

happens because the treating DC does a proper intake

history and physical examination, makes a reasonable

diagnosis based on the available data, provides reasonable

and medically necessary care, and documents everything in

a manner that makes sense and is easily understood by

others reading the chart. Furthermore, in those cases

where the independent examiner provides an unreasonable

opinion not based on the available data, the treating

doctor is then in a position to rebut the IME effectively.

In our profession, IMEs are a highly contentious issue,

far more so than in some other healthcare disciplines. The

article in the American Chiropractor only serves to add

fuel to the fire. There is a lot more going on than can be

understood by assuming an "us versus them" attitude.

Respectfully,

J. Burke, D.C.

> > >

> > >

> > > I agree whole heartedly!!! We need to

settle disputed within

> > ourselves not run to someone else outside our

profession to "fix"

> > our problems. I fear that this has un done a lot

of progress that

> > has happened for us in Salem. This has the

appearance of our "in

> > fighting" which most legislators shy ed away

from until we united.

> > IMHO it makes us look weak and childish!!!! Now

we have to watch

> > out that the legislature does not sees us as

such and try to

> > disband our board and have us regulated by the

medical board. How

> > fun would that be!!!!

> > >

> > > Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave

> > > Day, Or. 97845

> > > office 541-575-1063

> > > fax 541-575-5554

> > >

> > > rongrice@;

> > > From: bluepearl2001@

> > > Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:46:26 +0000

> > > Subject: Re: IME Testimony

during the House

> > Health Committee Hearing.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > This is very disappointing and upsetting to

me. Everyone needs to

> > take stock and remember how precious our

profession in, regardless

> > of 'what side of the isle' one might be on.

Very, very disappointed

> > to hear this.

> > > Ann DC

> > >

> > > From: "G" <rongrice@>

> > >

> > > Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:33:14

PM

> > > Subject: IME Testimony

during the House Health

> > Committee Hearing.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Dear Listmates.

> > >

> > > Yesterday at the House Health Committee

hearing regarding how the

> > OBCE deals with complaints, specifically in

regards to IMEs, three

> > DCs testified in front of the committee. Their

testimony can be

> > listened to at http://www.leg.state.or.us/listn/.

> > >

> > > During that testimony, direct quotes from

this DC List serve were

> > entered into the record of the House Health

Committee hearing. I

> > find this blatant violation of List serve rules

to be appalling. It

> > is my opinion that the doctors of record who

were testifying at

> > this committee, who violated these rules should

be expelled from

> > having the privilege of membership on this list.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Many forums on the net are anonymous. The

reason we have

> > signature requirements on this list is that we

are expected to

> > respect everyone's opinion here, realizing that

this will ensure

> > professional dialogue. When someone violates

that tenant, then the

> > list will die and we will lose this wonderful

tool. It also speaks

> > volumes to the integrity of the persons

violating this rule. If

> > they are so willing to throw their colleagues

under the bus in

> > front of the Oregon Legislature, especially when

there are non-

> > professional audience members in the gallery,

and when one of those

> > in attendance was a medical physician testifying

on another matter,

> > we look very unprofessional and it appears to

the audience that we

> > need to have greater control put on us by the

Oregon Legislature.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I would like to remind all of us, be

careful what we say on this

> > list, at least as long as particular people have

no concern about

> > keeping our comments private.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Sincerely, and with tremendous respect for

the integrity of this

> > list.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Grice, DC

> > >

> > > Albany, OR

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Dr. Schneider,I already responded to the concern about airing dirty laundry in public in an email I posted to this listserv about a week or 10 days ago. Please refer to my previous post. If you would like me to send a copy to you directly, I would be happy to do so. Please let me know.J. Burke, DC, DABCO From: Schneider <portlandchiro1@...> mjqpdc <mjqpdc@...> Cc: Sent: Monday, March 5, 2012 12:38 PM Subject: Re: IME Testimony during the House Health Committee Hearing.

Dear Listmates ,I have something to add to this conversation concerning Dr.Burke's infamous testimony before the state legislature over a week ago concerning the alleged malfeasance of the OBCE. I have listened to the entire testimony and have pondered Dr.Burke's long expose concerning this testimony.

I like many docs here in Oregon found plenty to get riled up about in considering this entire episode of chiropractors feuding with each other in a very public venue. I wish to expand on just one thing that really infuriated me about this entire event-and that is the very fact that this inter chiropractic feud ended up being played out before the Oregon State Legislature.

Dr. Burke has suggested that he and his colleague had no recourse but to go to the legislature with their concerns regarding the Board. His logic is seemingly sound but what is lacking is a view of the bigger picture of Chiropractic and the well being of Oregon's population. Let me explain. Dr. Saboe and countless other Chiropractors have been working hard for well over a decade to build a solid image of our profession with the Oregon legislature. The fruits of that effort are just now beginning to show up in the form of very promising legislation coming out of the Oregon legislature with reference to our good profession.

So why would any doctor who loves this profession risk ruining this image of chiropractic by dragging a inter chiropractic feud before this same legislative body? I have already heard that some legislators have asked a noted DC "Are you guys fighting again". Great -just what we need at this pivotal time in health care change and reform-an image of a profession in disarray and fighting like children amongst themselves.

Dr. Burke has stated that only the legislature has authority to regulate the OBCE. This is logically true but I believe Dr. Burke is failing to see the forest for the trees. I cannot believe that doctors with the intelligence, courage , and creativity of doctors Burke and Freedland could not find a way to rectify their concerns with the OBCE by working within the framework of our chiropractic community.

I cannot help but think of a powerful quote from the bible relating to settling disputes with our accusers (Mt.5:27-28) "Make friends with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison.....". I would hope that we can resolve this present dispute and all future similar disputes within our profession without dragging the very public legislature into the picture. If we loose the respect of this legislative body due to our public squabbling it may take years to rebuild our image. And who knows what damage to our profession could occur during that time. Consider what is going on In Florida right now.

PDX

I'm writing to respond to some of the recent comments on this listserv regarding alleged violations of OregonDC listserv rules and airing our professions' "dirty laundry" in public.

Part of my testimony last Wednesday concerned members of the OBCE who had publicly expressed bias against doctors who perform IMEs. One member had used this listserv as a forum for announcing her prejudice. My testimony also concerned the records of a treating chiropractor which were reviewed by the Board as part of an investigation against another chiropractor. The treating chiropractor's records contained so many errors and contradictions that his reasoning and even his clinical competency might be questioned. After reviewing his records (in my capacity as an expert consultant in the case) I concluded that his continued practice could pose a danger to the public. The members of the Board had to have reviewed his records as part of the investigation of the other chiropractor. Yet they did not inquire further into the potential misconduct revealed in these records, something that might be considered obligatory given their mandate to protect the public.

Instead, they sanctioned the doctor under investigation for violations that he clearly did not commit. Then they denied this doctor due process by not allowing him to rebut the charges prior to the Board's publication of them.

My concerns affect all chiropractors, not just those who do IMEs and record reviews. We need a regulatory board that handles all complaints in the same manner, regardless of each chiropractor's specialty. A complaint is not a presumption of guilt. The practice of chiropractic is a privilege granted to each of us by the state in which we practice, but having earned the privilege we each have the same right to due process. Imagine if you will that the Board was comprised of some members who had publicly expressed prejudice against chiropractors who practice Gonstead technique. If you are a Gonstead practitioner, and someone filed a complaint against you, would you consider it fair to be judged by the anti-Gonstead members of the Board? Would you think it was right if all other doctors were given the opportunity to appear in person to respond to the charges against them, but Gonstead practitioners were not? What would you and your Gonstead colleagues do

under such circumstances? To which person, professional association, or public agency would you take your grievance?

5. Use subject line to describe the content of your post/response. Use "OT" in subject line if the post is "off the topic" of chiropractic.

Of these six rules, five of them have to do with the formatting and content of posts. Only Rule #4 concerns revealing information posted to the listserv. The rule does not prohibit revealing correspondence if "all personal identifiers have been removed." That is exactly what I did. There is no rule against revealing the source of the quoted posts. Even if there was such a rule, it would do very little to restrict the dissemination of posted emails. Anyone wishing to do so could merely state that it was obtained from an Internet forum. In my testimony, and in the printed copies of the listserv posts that were distributed to the Committee members, all "personal identifiers" were redacted. One post mentioned the name of a doctor who is not on the listserv, and I removed his name as well. (I presume he is not a listserv member because the post was a personal attack on him, which Rule #2 would have prohibited.)

Rule #4 warns members that the listserv is not secure. Given that your email could end up anywhere, Rule #1, "Keep correspondence professional," is very important. Unfortunately, some people do not follow this rule. The unprofessional posts provided me with evidence to support my allegations. For example, in a recent post a doctor claimed that another chiropractor who reviewed his patient's file "raped" his patient. I pointed out in a personal email to this doctor that his comment was unprofessional, but he insisted his comment was appropriate and refused to retract it. (Last Thursday this doctor complained on the listserv that my testimony made chiropractors "look very unprofessional.") I also mentioned two instances in which doctors posted correspondence on the listserv inciting their colleagues to submit complaints against IME chiropractors to the OBCE if their reports disagreed with the treating doctors' opinions.

If Rule #1 was consistently adhered to, there would be very little concern about publicizing listserv comments. Unfortunately, a lot of posts are unprofessional. As a chiropractor who performs IMEs and medical record reviews, I consider it unprofessional when chiropractors post insulting comments about their colleagues who perform these services. "Evil IMEs," IME "hacks," and "bogus IMEs" are only a few of the slams I've read in listserv correspondence. It would seem that listserv members don't consider these kinds of posts unprofessional but tacitly agree with the authors of such insults. The following is a quote from my testimony to the Healthcare Committee:

"IMEs are performed by providers in many healthcare disciplines. In most disciplines there is little controversy regarding IMEs. In the chiropractic profession, however, independent medical evaluations are a highly contentious matter. Chiropractors who perform IMEs are vilified by their colleagues. The term "insurance whore" is often heard in candid discussions. Generally, chiropractors tend to believe that their work should not be questioned, especially by other chiropractors, and they tend to think of chiropractors who do IMEs and record reviews as traitors to the profession. If these doctors are being paid by insurance companies, the thinking goes, then certainly their opinions must have been determined by the source payment."

J. Burke, DC, DABCO

mjqpdc@...

>

>

> I agree whole heartedly!!! We need to settle disputed within ourselves not run to someone else outside our profession to "fix" our problems. I fear that this has un done a lot of progress that has happened for us in Salem. This has the appearance of our "in fighting" which most legislators shy ed away from until we united. IMHO it makes us look weak and childish!!!! Now we have to watch out that the legislature does not sees us as such and try to disband our board and have us regulated by the medical board. How fun would that be!!!!

>

> Day, Or. 97845

> office 541-575-1063

> fax 541-575-5554

>

> rongrice@...;

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Ann DC

>

> From: "G" <rongrice@...>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Dear Listmates.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Grice, DC

>

> Albany, OR

>

-- Schneider DC PDX