RemedySpot.com

Book Review of by Ted Forcum, DC, DACBSP

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Colleagues,Below is a review I wrote on a very good book I thought you would have interest in.Best regards,Ted Book Review of by Ted Forcum, DC, DACBSPHuman Locomotion: The Conservative Management of Gait Related Disorders by Michaud Although well written this book is not an afternoon read by the pool. I found myself navigating through the text rather slowly as I would read several pages and stop to contemplate the significance, meaning and clinically implication of the biomechanical repercussions of our bipedal gait. As such, you may find yourself feeling like a monk contemplating a Buddhist manuscript. Not to be taken lightly, this text is a substantial upgrade from Dr. Michaud's previous edition, and can be put on a plain to a bible for the biomechanically oriented practitioner dealing with the gait mechanics. There is a great deal written about human locomotion, but very little that has been consolidated at a single location and correlated to clinical application. Other texts are far outdated, overbearing in breadth, and requires more caffeine than humanly possible to consume for navigation. As such, I think the reader will find Dr. Michaud’s text both interesting and applicable. Because the text reads more like a novel rather than a resource text, this is not a book that you can pick up and resource one or two factoids for a quick pickup and put down; rather, the novel requires deep thought as each well-researched detail generates a contemplative understanding of the process of human locomotion. Surprisingly, the section I thought I would read with distain, the initial chapter exploring the anthropologic evolution of human locomotion, wound up being the most enjoyable section. My dread was pleasantly greeted with thought-provoking interest and surprise. This introductory chapter proved to be essential for the understanding of how we as humans move through space. Like a good mystery novel, each preceding detail later became relevant in deeper into the story; I find the same to be true in Michaud's work. The anthropological and biomechanical studies early in this text related well to the causality and the rationale for care later in the more clinically applicable portions of the text. Dr. Michaud has done an outstanding job in referencing the text and developing a basis for his opinions and the varying opinions presented throughout the manuscript. There are times that I wished the organization of the studies were slightly different to exhibit a more demonstrative conclusion, but life simply is not that way and research studies rarely yield a clear black-and-white conclusion. Because of the lack of a detailed index and limited sub-headings throughout the text, this book will require the reader to maneuver through the text in a front-to-back fashion. Unlike other text that offers more of a resource, whereby the reader can immediately jump from one chapter to the next without any limitation on knowledge from the forbearing chapters, the reader would be at a great disadvantage to do so with this text. This is understandable as the vast majority of clinicians do not have a full understanding of gait patterns. A practitioner jumping to a section on limitations in hip extension during the propulsive phase would be at a severe disadvantage without first understanding the effect of the ankle, first ray, and hallux in the mechanism of propulsive gait. The text does an outstanding job reviewing the physical examination process and what transpires segmentally through the gait cycles; however, it is somewhat weak in descriptive evaluation of newer technologies, such as video analysis program Sports Motion and Dartfish, OptoGait optical gait evaluation system, and Tekscan force evaluation systems. The average clinician likely will not miss these technology advances, however, individuals specializing in sports and rehabilitation may have a greater affinity for understanding the use of these tools. In contrast to technology, I especially appreciated the increased references to running biomechanics compared to walking gait. . Dr. Michaud’s text provides the practitioner for the basis of developing and understanding of this process in an organized fashion, which will build upon itself as the reader navigates into the deeper waters of the text. For those looking for a diagnostic “cookbook”, this is not your source. This is a book designed for taking the practitioner that is required to make evaluation and judgment calls on a very complicated process which is human locomotion. I would think this text would be an essential component to any practitioner focusing on athletics, orthopedic and geriatric care, and developmental care. I am looking forward to reading this book a second time. Book DescriptionPublication Date: October 3, 2011 | ISBN-10: 0615516459 | ISBN-13: 978-0615516455 | Edition: First EditionIn the course of a year, more than 1.9 million runners will fracture at least one bone and approximately 50% will suffer some form of overuse injury that prevents them from running. Despite the widespread prevalence of gait-related injuries, the majority of health care practitioners continue to rely on outdated and ineffective treatment protocols emphasizing passive interventions, such as anti-inflammatory medications and rest. With more than 1000 references and 530 illustrations, Dr. Michaud s text on human locomotion presents a logical approach to the examination, assessment, treatment and prevention of gait-related injuries. Beginning with a complete review of the evolution of bipedality, this textbook goes on to describe the functional anatomy of each joint in the lower extremity, pelvis, and spine. This information is then related to normal and abnormal motions during the gait cycle, providing the most comprehensive description of human locomotion ever published. Human Locomotion also discusses a wide range of conservative interventions, including a detailed guide to manual therapies, a complete review of every aspect of orthotic intervention, along with illustrated explanations of hundreds of rehabilitative stretches and exercises. The final chapter summarizes state-of-the-art, proven conservative treatment interventions, providing specific protocols for dozens of common gait-related injuries, including Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, stress fractures and hamstring strains. Whether you are a chiropractor, physical therapist, pedorthist or podiatrist, this text provides practical information that will change the way you practice.Show More Show Less About the AuthorSince graduating from Western States Chiropractic College in 1982, Dr. Michaud has published numerous book chapters and journal articles on a variety of subjects ranging from biomechanics of the first metatarsophalangeal joint (1) and shoulder (2), to the pathomechanics and management of vertebral artery dissection (3). In 1993, and Wilkins published Dr. Michaud s first textbook, Foot Orthoses and Other Forms of Conservative Foot Care (4), which was eventually translated into four languages and continues to be used in physical therapy, chiropractic, pedorthic, and podiatry schools around the world. In addition to lecturing on clinical biomechanics internationally, Dr. Michaud has served on the editorial review boards for Chiropractic Sports Medicine and The Australasian Journal of Podiatric Medicine. Over the past 30 years, Dr. Michaud has maintained a busy private practice in Newton, Massachusetts, where he has treated thousands of elite and recreational runners. Ted Forcum, DC, DACBSPBack In Motion Sports Injuries Clinic, LLCPortland Timbers Team ChiropractorPortland Winterhawks Team Chiropractor ACA Sports Council, Past President'08 US Olympic Sports Medicine Team Member11385 SW Scholls Ferry RoadBeaverton, Oregon 97008503.524.9040www.bimsportsinjuries.com The information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information confidential under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Back In Motion Sports Injuries Clinic, LLC at 11385 SW Scholls Ferry Road, Beaverton, OR-97008. and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution.