RemedySpot.com

RE: House Health Committee Hearing Wednesday regarding IME's

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Ann, The time and reason to submit a complaint is when you (and/or your patient) has a valid complaint or concern about inappropriateness of outcome. The Board is unable to do anything untl they receive that complaint or concern. The point is protection of the patient. Sunny Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com From: bluepearl2001@...Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:27:23 +0000Subject: House Health Committee Hearing Wednesday regarding IME's

From: bluepearl2001@...To: "Ann Goldeen" <anngoldeen@...>Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:26:06 PMSubject: Re: House Health Committee Hearing Wednesday regarding IME's [1 Attachment]It occurs to me that the "3%" IME complaint statistic suggests that too many of us or our patients don't submit formal complaints to the OBCE after a clearly unreasonable IME outcome. Based on my own experience and ListServe posts from other docs about IME's, it makes me wonder about that. I will admit that I have never submitted a formal complaint even after the most egregious IME outcomes.Perhaps someone (Vern?) could post under what circumstances such a complaint should be submitted and how to do so.Ann DCFrom: "Ann Goldeen" <anngoldeen@...>"Oregon DC'S" < >Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:44:25 AMSubject: House Health Committee Hearing Wednesday regarding IME's [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Ann Goldeen included below]

The OBCE has been requested to appear before the House Health Committee this Wednesday, Feb, 22nd, 1:00 p.m., in Hearing Room E to address issues regarding IMEs and the OBCE’s complaint process. This may be viewed live by accessing the Legislature’s web page ( http://www.leg.state.or.us/ ) and clicking on the Audio/Video feature.

We understand this is an informational hearing with invited testimony. (If you go, you may not be able to give testimony).

The Legislature’s Web page has yet to notice this hearing, but likely will on Monday.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/12reg/agenda/webagendas.htm

Dr. Freedland and two others will be presenting presumably as doctors who conduct IMEs.

Cote DC, OBCE Vice-President and Dave McTeague, Ex. Dir. have been asked to explain the role of DCs in the independent medical exam/paper file review procedure and we respond to whatever issues are addressed.

Dr. Vern Saboe will present the association’s perspective.

Without addressing the issues I will state categorically that the OBCE’s process is fair and sound. We do not single out any sub group of chiropractors for special treatment. All of our board actions are reviewed by the Assistant Attorney General assigned to our agency. If we make a mistake, we own up to it and correct it.

As you can see from the attached statistics, complaints concerning IMEs and paper reviews accounts for just 3% of total complaints (28 total) since 2001. 71% of those complaints were filed by patients and 21% by DCs.

Also please remember, the OBCE is bound by ORS 676 to maintain confidentiality of investigations and complaints, particularly those closed with no board action.

Ann Goldeen, D.C.

Wed., 1:00 PM……Vern Saboe From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of BRIAN SEITZSent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:20 AM Subject: RE: House Health Committee Hearing Wednesday regarding IME's Thanks for the info and link. Very informative. Seitz, DC Tuality Physicians 730-D SE Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)640-3724 From: anngoldeen@...Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:44:25 -0800Subject: House Health Committee Hearing Wednesday regarding IME's [1 Attachment] [Attachment(s) from Ann Goldeen included below] The OBCE has been requested to appear before the House Health Committee this Wednesday, Feb, 22nd, 1:00 p.m., in Hearing Room E to address issues regarding IMEs and the OBCE’s complaint process. This may be viewed live by accessing the Legislature’s web page ( http://www.leg.state.or.us/ ) and clicking on the Audio/Video feature.We understand this is an informational hearing with invited testimony. (If you go, you may not be able to give testimony).The Legislature’s Web page has yet to notice this hearing, but likely will on Monday.http://www.leg.state.or.us/12reg/agenda/webagendas.htmDr. Freedland and two others will be presenting presumably as doctors who conduct IMEs. Cote DC, OBCE Vice-President and Dave McTeague, Ex. Dir. have been asked to explain the role of DCs in the independent medical exam/paper file review procedure and we respond to whatever issues are addressed.Dr. Vern Saboe will present the association’s perspective.Without addressing the issues I will state categorically that the OBCE’s process is fair and sound. We do not single out any sub group of chiropractors for special treatment. All of our board actions are reviewed by the Assistant Attorney General assigned to our agency. If we make a mistake, we own up to it and correct it.As you can see from the attached statistics, complaints concerning IMEs and paper reviews accounts for just 3% of total complaints (28 total) since 2001. 71% of those complaints were filed by patients and 21% by DCs.Also please remember, the OBCE is bound by ORS 676 to maintain confidentiality of investigations and complaints, particularly those closed with no board action. Ann Goldeen, D.C.

Dear listserv, I sent the following letter of opinion to the Health House committee informational hearing. -Minga Guerrero DC

Dear Sandy Thiele-Cirka,

I would appreciate your adding the following information to assist with understanding the complaint process of the OBCE. I graduated from University of Western States in 1984. I have served on various committees for the Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners for approximately 17-18 years. I served directly on the OBCE for 6 years: (2003-2009) During that service, I was board president for 4 1/2 years. As I understand this, your committee is holding an informational hearing to better understand how complaints are handled by the OBCE, particularly in relation to IME doctors. During my 6 years of direct service, I saw zero complaints on IME doctors generated by our board. Quite frankly, we are all volunteer, and simply too busy to poll the entire population of chiropractors looking for more work to add to the total pile of complaints we receive. More often than not, the OBCE was accused of being partial to IME doctors, when complaints were filed. I believe this notion came about because the average practicing doctor doesn't realize that the board is charged with finding violations ONLY on those doctors falling below the lowest level of competency. Although we strive to educate and train our doctors to perform at the highest level of competency, our public protection mission, will only allow violations to be placed on doctors who fall below the lowest level of expected competency. Please feel free to contact me should you need to question me further.

Thank you for taking time to read my statement.

I have copied to the Executive Director and one board member.

Minga Guerrero DC

Hood View Chiropractic

270 NE 181st Ave

Portland, OR 97230

(503) 669-1966

abowoman@...

Minga Guerrero DC

abowoman@...

House Health Committee Hearing Wednesday regarding IME's [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Ann Goldeen included below]

The OBCE has been requested to appear before the House Health Committee this Wednesday, Feb, 22nd, 1:00 p.m., in Hearing Room E to address issues regarding IMEs and the OBCE’s complaint process. This may be viewed live by access ing the Legislature’s web page ( http://www.leg.state.or.us/ ) and clicking on the Audio/Video feature.

We understand this is an informational hearing with invited testimony. (If you go, you may not be able to give testimony).

The Legislature’s Web page has yet to notice this hearing, but likely will on Monday.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/12reg/agenda/webagendas.htm

Dr. Freedland and two others will be presenting presumably as doctors who conduct IMEs.

Cote DC, OBCE Vice-President and Dave McTeague, Ex. Dir. have been asked to explain the role of DCs in the independent medical exam/paper file review procedure and we respond to whatever issues are addressed.

Dr. Vern Saboe will present the association’s perspective.

Without addressing the issues I will state categorically that the OBCE’s process is fair and sound. We do not single out any sub group of chiropractors for special treatment. All of our board actions are reviewed by the Assistant Attorney General assigned to our agency. If we make a mistake, we own up to it and correct it.

As you can see from the attached statistics, complaints concerning IMEs and paper reviews accounts for just 3% of total complaints (28 total) since 2001. 71% of those complaints were filed by patients and 21% by DCs.

Also please remember, the OBCE is bound by ORS 676 to maintain confidentiality of investigations and complaints, particularly those closed with no board action.

Ann Goldeen, D.C.