RemedySpot.com

FW: Oregon Non-Discrimination Language

Rate this topic

Guest guest

F.Y.I., my post to the ACA Insurance Commission group which I serve on….colleagues what the Oregon Chiropractic Association is accomplishing here is looking very much like we could be the model for the nation! To The Continued Good Fight….! Vern Saboe, ACA Delegate for Oregon….. From: vsaboe [mailto:vsaboe@...] Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:04 AM' Falardeau'; 'Al Norville'; 'BOG Hamm'; 'dune@...'; 'BOG F Dow Bates'; 'ACA-Members@...'Subject: " Oregon Non-Discrimination Language " Dear colleagues, Attached is the latest version of the “non-discrimination language” the Oregon Chiropractic Association with the coalition of other provider types we built which was able to recently get inserted via Senate Bill 1509-C. It is of course based on the incredible foundational work that the ACA performed with its federal coalition of other healthcare providers to gain Section 2706 on the federal healthcare act (ObamaCare) we duplicated the coalition of providers here in Oregon. We were able to add what we think is additional favorable language relative to an appeals process when a chiropractic colleague feels they have been discriminated against and sets the parameters as per what can be addressed to make the case for or against that complaint. This new Oregon law is relative to Oregon’s version of the federal ACOs what we are calling “Coordinated Care Organizations” (CCOs) which via federal waivers will toss all Medicare and Medicaid monies into one pot producing a global budget and CCOs will be responsible to manage a patient population with those monies with a focus on the “Medical Home Model” where care is patient-centered and integrated. Point being in Oregon if a particular service e.g. annual physical examinations, blood work, wellness coaching, etc., etc is a covered service and within our scope chiropractic physicians will be paid for that service and if they perform at a superior level can be reimbursed at a higher level than certain medical physicians who do not provide high quality or performance. In fact the local MD across my street if he continues to perform poorly based on our outcomes matrix his baseline reimbursement level can actually go down. Lastly, I have to say we are very blessed here in Oregon as we have a pro-chiropractic Democratic Governor who just happens to be an emergency room trained medical doctor and this is his bill and the first draft had all of our non-discrimination language placed within by the Governor himself. We added the appeals language later which was actually spearheaded by the Co-Chair (we have a split House) Rep. Jim a Republican who wished to protect us further from discrimination. Our non-discrimination language had absolute bipartisan support in both the Oregon State Senate and House! BTW this work on SB-1580 & now SB-1509 will have paved the way for “Non-discrimination” if the Supreme Court strikes down the Federal Healthcare act our coalition will move quickly to insert the exact same language in our Oregon Insurance Exchange law during the regular long Jan. 2013 legislative session the road has already been paved. My hope is that this language may be a help to those states who are moving forward with their own Insurance Exchanges and who may wish to duplicate what we are doing as per Medicare and Medicaid monies as via the “Oregon way” all covered services provided by my chiropractic colleagues that our within our scope of practice will be paid for. So by default we will actually get paid for our examinations of seniors, blood work, X-rays, adjunctive physiotherapies….geez what a concept hey!! Cheers, Vern Saboe DC, FACOLobbyist, Oregon Chiropractic AssociationACA Delegate for Oregon

1 of 1 File(s)

SB-1509 CCOs Feb. 2012 Session.pdf