RemedySpot.com

Re: Here's a great Ted Talk about the doctor's touch

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Chuck,Thank-you for sharing this! One of the reasons people go to chiropractors is because we touch, because we use our hands. I have concern that our schools are putting more and more emphasis on technology and less on our ability to glean information through touching our patients and listening to our patients. How many DCs recall that Palmer students were required to palpate a hair through hundreds of pages of Gray's Anatomy? I didn't' go to Palmer but heard that story. Palpation was very important, back in the "old days" when I went to chiro college. I wonder if it's becoming a lost art in our profession? It seems to me that one of our unique characteristics, as a profession, is the use of our hands. Perhaps we should be capitalizing on that. It seems as medicine is more and more embracing mind-body and energy medicine, chiropractic is veering away from that, that which we were founded on. Again, thank-you for sharing this!

Janet L Rueger, DCCertified in CraniopathyCertified BodyTalk Practitioner149 Clear Creek Dr., # 105Ashland, OR, 97520541-690-6799bodytalk@...

On Feb 10, 2012, at 7:53 AM, Chuck Simpson, DC wrote:

All, From another list

A. Simpson, DC | Vice President, Medical DirectorThe CHP Group | Smart Solutions. Healthy Results.Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on LinkedIn | www.chpgroup.com

csimpson@... 503-619-2041 O | 503-367-0872 C6600 SW 105th Ave, Ste 115 | Beaverton, OR 97008

Hi Dr. Janet,

You are right when you speak of the profession veering away from the teaching of the significance of touch and the subluxation.

If you have been paying close attention to the stated policies of the CCE as well as our local school's stated intention that is exactly what they intend to do if we allow them. In it's place will be the teaching of the use of prescriptions. If enough of us are "asleep at the switch" you will be witnessing the death knell of our beloved profession.

Herb Freeman D.C.

Re: Here's a great Ted Talk about the doctor's touch

Hello Chuck,

Thank-you for sharing this! One of the reasons people go to chiropractors is because we touch, because we use our hands. I have concern that our schools are putting more and more emphasis on technology and less on our ability to glean information through touching our patients and listening to our patients. How many DCs recall that Palmer students were required to palpate a hair through hundreds of pages of Gray's Anatomy? I didn't' go to Palmer but heard that story. Palpation was very important, back in the "old days" when I went to chiro college. I wonder if it's becoming a lost art in our profession? It seems to me that one of our unique characteristics, as a profession, is the use of our hands. Perhaps we should be capitalizing on that. It seems as medicine is more and more embracing mind-body and energy medicine, chiropractic is veering away from that, that which we were founded on.

Again, thank-you for sharing this!

Janet L Rueger, DC

Certified in Craniopathy

Certified BodyTalk Practitioner

149 Clear Creek Dr., # 105

Ashland, OR, 97520

541-690-6799

bodytalk@...

All,

From another list

http://www.ted.com/talks/abraham_verghese_a_doctor_s_touch.html

A. Simpson, DC | Vice President, Medical DirectorThe CHP Group | Smart Solutions. Healthy Results.

Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on LinkedIn | www.chpgroup.com csimpson@... 503-619-2041 O | 503-367-0872 C6600 SW 105th Ave, Ste 115 | Beaverton, OR 97008

Yes, thank you for sharing! This was an excellent talk and great reminder of the power touch. I love his use of the word "ritual" to describe what is happening with a physical exam. As chiropractors, we perform our own unique "ritual" each time we see a patient as we practice our technique(s) of choice. I believe there is a lot of healing that occurs with the ritual alone. Whether you are doing activator, motion-palpation, SOT, Gonstead, , etc., there is a ritual going on there. Cool stuff to think about.Jamey Dyson, DC On Feb 10, 2012, at 10:15 PM, Janet L Rueger, DC wrote:

Hello Chuck,Thank-you for sharing this! One of the reasons people go to chiropractors is because we touch, because we use our hands. I have concern that our schools are putting more and more emphasis on technology and less on our ability to glean information through touching our patients and listening to our patients. How many DCs recall that Palmer students were required to palpate a hair through hundreds of pages of Gray's Anatomy? I didn't' go to Palmer but heard that story. Palpation was very important, back in the "old days" when I went to chiro college. I wonder if it's becoming a lost art in our profession? It seems to me that one of our unique characteristics, as a profession, is the use of our hands. Perhaps we should be capitalizing on that. It seems as medicine is more and more embracing mind-body and energy medicine, chiropractic is veering away from that, that which we were founded on. Again, thank-you for sharing this!

Janet L Rueger, DCCertified in CraniopathyCertified BodyTalk Practitioner149 Clear Creek Dr., # 105Ashland, OR, 97520541-690-6799bodytalk@...

All, From another list

A. Simpson, DC | Vice President, Medical DirectorThe CHP Group | Smart Solutions. Healthy Results.Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on LinkedIn | www.chpgroup.com

csimpson@... 503-619-2041 O | 503-367-0872 C6600 SW 105th Ave, Ste 115 | Beaverton, OR 97008