RemedySpot.com

Re: IME increase

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.â€Â  We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues?  Have you joined the OCA?  We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific  questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell  From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ph MedlinSent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM Subject: IME increase The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late? I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh. ph Medlin D.C.

Guest guest

Definitely!!! Hell I feel like I got a target on my back here. There is absolutely something brewing.

JOIN!!

ph Medlin D.C.

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:17 AM

'ph Medlin' ;

Subject: RE: IME increase

Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.†We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ph MedlinSent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM Subject: IME increase

The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?

I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.

ph Medlin D.C.

Guest guest

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number of IMEs is increasing,

only that there seems to be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed,

namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the exception of

that ever-present " few " or, more recently " several " docs or " IME mills " who no

one ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous terms.

Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there

docs who have not experienced an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose

patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're experience an

increase, have you looked at stats for previous years and compared them to the

present to see if your perception is correct?

I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too easy to read

someone's post, maybe see a couple of concurring posts, and assume that the

problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only a few IMEs

per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by

my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from my own experience.

However, my experience tells me that there are many reasons IMEs are requested.

It's not always the number of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain

was still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not benefiting from

my care. I might want a second opinion.

Here are some reasons IMEs are requested:

Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the patient's injuries is

in dispute. They may have had a previous problem and, whether or not it has

anything to do with the current one, the insurer may have a question about it.

Compensability is more of a concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the

patient has degenerative disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work

(in Oregon this is called major versus material contributing cause).

Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart notes document medical

necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than

determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of

treatment is best for this patient, we try to build a case for treating the

patient with " positive " findings. But there is no critical mass of positive

findings beyond which treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be

consistency between the history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the

diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of findings leads to a

diagnosis.

Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about temporary disability

- was it necessary for the patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so,

for how long? Other times the question concerns permanent disability and

impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be limited or unable to

perform normal activities for the remainder of his or her life?

Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than one condition? If so,

to what extent does each condition contribute to the need for treatment? I think

most chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine apportionment. I

know I didn't learn it there. I see records - and have seen this method

recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury when

the patient sustains a second injury, saying they will go back to treating the

first injury when the second one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the

healing process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to apportion

the percentage of treatment between the two injuries.

Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the ER shortly after an

accident complaining of neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and low

back pain, the carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the

compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a

diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not symptomatic, usually

because " subluxations, " segmental dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are

found on exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as well. If you

diagnose a moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then

proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your treatment is

injuring the patient further. After all, you are saying they have a serious

ligament injury (think of a " moderate to severe sprain " of the knee or ankle).

In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION

and COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate,

legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain that she

didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't

keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.

So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun intended). I really

would like to know from other readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in

your own practices.

J. Burke, D.C.

>

> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and

pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs,

file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.†We

do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive

a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and

limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues?

Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA

office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions

call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell

>

>

>

> From: [mailto: ] On Behalf

Of ph Medlin

> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM

>

> Subject: IME increase

>

>

>

>

>

> The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have

more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an

IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else

noticing this to a high degree as of late?

>

>

>

> I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re

getting IMEd.......uuughhh.

>

>

>

> ph Medlin D.C.

>

Guest guest

We have MVC patients frequently and can’t remember when the last IME was ordered.Have a WC case that was sent for an IME and the patient asked the doctor “ are you going to do all the test Dr Pfeiffer did�The doctor did not answer.  Have seen his report and he failed to address the chief complaint .  Hearing scheduled Mar 28.Should be fun!!!!!!!!! We do an occasional IME and the usual reason appears to be NO PROGRESS of symptom reduction. Either wrong diagnosis and/orwrong treatment W. Pfeiffer, D.C., D.A.B.C.O.Lee Pfeiffer, R.N., B.S.46 N.E. Mt. Hebron Dr. (no USPS mail)P.O. Box 606 Pendleton, OR 97801drbob@...leernbs@...541-276-2550 All people smile in the same language From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of mjqpdcSent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:24 PM Subject: Re: IME increase I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed, namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the exception of that ever-present " few " or, more recently " several " docs or " IME mills " who no one ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous terms. Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there docs who have not experienced an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're experience an increase, have you looked at stats for previous years and compared them to the present to see if your perception is correct?I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too easy to read someone's post, maybe see a couple of concurring posts, and assume that the problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only a few IMEs per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from my own experience. However, my experience tells me that there are many reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not benefiting from my care. I might want a second opinion. Here are some reasons IMEs are requested:Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have had a previous problem and, whether or not it has anything to do with the current one, the insurer may have a question about it. Compensability is more of a concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the patient has degenerative disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work (in Oregon this is called major versus material contributing cause). Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this patient, we try to build a case for treating the patient with " positive " findings. But there is no critical mass of positive findings beyond which treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be consistency between the history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of findings leads to a diagnosis. Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about temporary disability - was it necessary for the patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so, for how long? Other times the question concerns permanent disability and impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be limited or unable to perform normal activities for the remainder of his or her life? Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than one condition? If so, to what extent does each condition contribute to the need for treatment? I think most chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine apportionment. I know I didn't learn it there. I see records - and have seen this method recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury when the patient sustains a second injury, saying they will go back to treating the first injury when the second one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the healing process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to apportion the percentage of treatment between the two injuries. Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the ER shortly after an accident complaining of neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and low back pain, the carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not symptomatic, usually because " subluxations, " segmental dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are found on exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as well. If you diagnose a moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your treatment is injuring the patient further. After all, you are saying they have a serious ligament injury (think of a " moderate to severe sprain " of the knee or ankle). In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate, legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain that she didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun intended). I really would like to know from other readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in your own practices. J. Burke, D.C. >> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.†We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell > > > > From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of ph Medlin> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM> > Subject: IME increase> > > > > > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?> > > > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.> > > > ph Medlin D.C.>

Guest guest

Very good concise response . Thanks.

I have not had an increase in IMEs within the last 2 or 3 years. I

have had a couple that I disagreed with but in those cases there

were grounds for professional disagreement.

I do feel that the treating physician knows much more about the

myriad clinical aspects of their patient's condition than any IME.

So, because many IME opinions are so definite and result in such a

dramatic effect on a patient's well being, it seems unfair that one

opinion from only 1 day in a patient's life carries so much weight.

Not withstanding this, if the treating doc does not document the

complications, altered treatment approaches, refine the dx codes and

appear to be managing their patient's care thoughtfully, it is a

given that someone will get wind of this and start doing IMEs. Do

all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the

charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every

visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients!

Does every PI patient PIP out with only chiropractic care or is

there consultation and referral patterns that show clinical decision

making? Does everyone get massage or fascial release every visit?

Does their family primary care provider get a note and a request for

past medicals?

I was in court last week on a PIP trial and the defense asked if I

knew about this patients past LBP history.......I did not, despite

the fact that it was her MD that referred her to me for the MVA

injuries after 4 mo of PT hadn't helped! I hadn't asked either. It

won't make much difference because the primary injuries were

cervical and thoracic. Nevertheless I had a wake up call again!

In short we will always have problems, but the more real doctoring

we do the less there is to question.

On 3/15/2012 7:23 PM, mjqpdc wrote:

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number

of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to be a

one-sided view that continues to be expressed, namely that

all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the

exception of that ever-present "few" or, more recently

"several" docs or "IME mills" who no one ever names). I

doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous

terms.

Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M

experiencing this? Are there docs who have not experienced

an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose patients

rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're

experience an increase, have you looked at stats for

previous years and compared them to the present to see if

your perception is correct?

I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too

easy to read someone's post, maybe see a couple of

concurring posts, and assume that the problem is

widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only

a few IMEs per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is

much fewer than in the past, by my own choice, so I cannot

judge these statements from my own experience.

However, my experience tells me that there are many

reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number of

visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was still

at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not

benefiting from my care. I might want a second opinion.

Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the

patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have had a

previous problem and, whether or not it has anything to do

with the current one, the insurer may have a question

about it. Compensability is more of a concern in workers'

compensation cases, as when the patient has degenerative

disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work (in

Oregon this is called major versus material contributing

cause).

Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart

notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors put

the cart before the horse, that is, rather than

determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if

so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this patient, we

try to build a case for treating the patient with

"positive" findings. But there is no critical mass of

positive findings beyond which treatment is necessarily

justified. There has to be consistency between the

history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the

diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of

findings leads to a diagnosis.

Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about

temporary disability - was it necessary for the patient to

miss work because of the injuries? If so, for how long?

Other times the question concerns permanent disability and

impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be

limited or unable to perform normal activities for the

remainder of his or her life?

Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than

one condition? If so, to what extent does each condition

contribute to the need for treatment? I think most

chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine

apportionment. I know I didn't learn it there. I see

records - and have seen this method recommended on this

listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury

when the patient sustains a second injury, saying they

will go back to treating the first injury when the second

one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the healing

process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying

to apportion the percentage of treatment between the two

injuries.

Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the

ER shortly after an accident complaining of neck pain and

later comes to you with neck pain and low back pain, the

carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the

compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the

treating doctor gives a diagnosis for an area which wasn't

injured and is not symptomatic, usually because

"subluxations," segmental dysfunction, and increased

muscle tone are found on exam. The nature of the injury

can be questionable as well. If you diagnose a moderate to

severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then

proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that

your treatment is injuring the patient further. After all,

you are saying they have a serious ligament injury (think

of a "moderate to severe sprain" of the knee or ankle).

In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major

ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of these

problems can be prevented by keeping accurate, legible,

and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain

that she didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes.

I would say that if you don't keep good chart notes, you

won't get paid.

So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun

intended). I really would like to know from other readers

how much of an IME problem you perceive in your own

practices.

J. Burke, D.C.

>

> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is

being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in

PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews

and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the

fence.†We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein

you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a

medical professional including a physician’s assistant

and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you

joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We

need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office

and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have

specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell

>

>

>

> From:

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of ph Medlin

>

>

>

>

>

>

> The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous

in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than

not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested

of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone

else noticing this to a high degree as of late?

>

>

>

> I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of

5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.

>

>

>

> ph Medlin D.C.

>

Guest guest

I think that should go to the head of the class for working “Not withstanding” into his message.

(I think it’s supposed to be one word but, c’mon: brilliant!)

--

E. Abrahamson, D.C.

Chiropractic physician

Lake Oswego Chiropractic Clinic

315 Second Street

Lake Oswego, OR 97034

503-635-6246

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:42:51 -0700

mjqpdc <mjqpdc@...>

Cc: < >

Subject: Re: IME increase

I have not had an increase in IMEs within the last 2 or 3 years. I have had a couple that I disagreed with but in those cases there were grounds for professional disagreement.

I do feel that the treating physician knows much more about the myriad clinical aspects of their patient's condition than any IME. So, because many IME opinions are so definite and result in such a dramatic effect on a patient's well being, it seems unfair that one opinion from only 1 day in a patient's life carries so much weight.

Not withstanding this, if the treating doc does not document the complications, altered treatment approaches, refine the dx codes and appear to be managing their patient's care thoughtfully, it is a given that someone will get wind of this and start doing IMEs. Do all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every visit? This IS a " mill " even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients!

Does every PI patient PIP out with only chiropractic care or is there consultation and referral patterns that show clinical decision making? Does everyone get massage or fascial release every visit? Does their family primary care provider get a note and a request for past medicals?

I was in court last week on a PIP trial and the defense asked if I knew about this patients past LBP history.......I did not, despite the fact that it was her MD that referred her to me for the MVA injuries after 4 mo of PT hadn't helped! I hadn't asked either. It won't make much difference because the primary injuries were cervical and thoracic. Nevertheless I had a wake up call again!

In short we will always have problems, but the more real doctoring we do the less there is to question.

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed, namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the exception of that ever-present " few " or, more recently " several " docs or " IME mills " who no one ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous terms.

Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there docs who have not experienced an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're experience an increase, have you looked at stats for previous years and compared them to the present to see if your perception is correct?

I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too easy to read someone's post, maybe see a couple of concurring posts, and assume that the problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only a few IMEs per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from my own experience.

However, my experience tells me that there are many reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not benefiting from my care. I might want a second opinion.

Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have had a previous problem and, whether or not it has anything to do with the current one, the insurer may have a question about it. Compensability is more of a concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the patient has degenerative disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work (in Oregon this is called major versus material contributing cause).

Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this patient, we try to build a case for treating the patient with " positive " findings. But there is no critical mass of positive findings beyond which treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be consistency between the history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of findings leads to a diagnosis.

Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about temporary disability - was it necessary for the patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so, for how long? Other times the question concerns permanent disability and impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be limited or unable to perform normal activities for the remainder of his or her life?

Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than one condition? If so, to what extent does each condition contribute to the need for treatment? I think most chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine apportionment. I know I didn't learn it there. I see records - and have seen this method recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury when the patient sustains a second injury, saying they will go back to treating the first injury when the second one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the healing process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to apportion the percentage of treatment between the two injuries.

Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the ER shortly after an accident complaining of neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and low back pain, the carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not symptomatic, usually because " subluxations, " segmental dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are found on exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as well. If you diagnose a moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your treatment is injuring the patient further. After all, you are saying they have a serious ligament injury (think of a " moderate to severe sprain " of the knee or ankle).

In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate, legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain that she didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.

So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun intended). I really would like to know from other readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in your own practices.

J. Burke, D.C.

>

> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.‡ We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500â€&brkbar;.Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join todayâ€&brkbar;503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell

>

>

>

> From: <mailto:%40> [mailto: <mailto:%40> ] On Behalf Of ph Medlin

> <mailto:%40>

>

>

>

>

>

> The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?

>

>

>

> I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.

>

>

>

> ph Medlin D.C.

>

Guest guest

CUTE!

I was stuck with my spellchecker...it made me doubt myself and I

caved in to it's insistence!

On 3/15/2012 9:54 PM, Abrahamson wrote:

I think that should go to

the head of the class for working “Not withstandingâ€

into his message.

(I think it’s supposed to be one word but, c’mon:

brilliant!)

--

E. Abrahamson, D.C.

Chiropractic physician

Lake Oswego Chiropractic Clinic

315 Second Street

Lake Oswego, OR 97034

503-635-6246

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:42:51 -0700

mjqpdc <mjqpdc@...>

Cc: < >

I have not had an increase in IMEs within the last 2 or 3

years. I have had a couple that I disagreed with but in

those cases there were grounds for professional

disagreement.

I do feel that the treating physician knows much more

about the myriad clinical aspects of their patient's

condition than any IME. So, because many IME opinions are

so definite and result in such a dramatic effect on a

patient's well being, it seems unfair that one opinion

from only 1 day in a patient's life carries so much

weight.

Not withstanding this, if the treating doc does not

document the complications, altered treatment approaches,

refine the dx codes and appear to be managing their

patient's care thoughtfully, it is a given that someone

will get wind of this and start doing IMEs. Do all the

treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the

charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits

for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or

3 MVA patients!  

Does every PI patient PIP out with only chiropractic care

or is there consultation and referral patterns that show

clinical decision making? Does everyone get massage or

fascial release every visit? Does their family primary

care provider get a note and a request for past medicals?

I was in court last week on a PIP trial and the defense

asked if I knew about this patients past LBP

history.......I did not, despite the fact that it was her

MD that referred her to me for the MVA injuries after 4 mo

of PT hadn't helped!  I hadn't asked either. It won't make

much difference because the primary injuries were cervical

and thoracic. Nevertheless I had a wake up call again!

In short we will always have problems, but the more real

doctoring we do the less there is to question.

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the

number of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to

be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed,

namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are

bad (with the exception of that ever-present "few" or,

more recently "several" docs or "IME mills" who no one

ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in

such dichotomous terms.

Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M

experiencing this? Are there docs who have not

experienced an increase? Are there docs on the

listserv whose patients rarely if ever get sent for

IMEs? If you believe you're experience an increase,

have you looked at stats for previous years and

compared them to the present to see if your perception

is correct?

I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think

it's too easy to read someone's post, maybe see a

couple of concurring posts, and assume that the

problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm

asking. I do only a few IMEs per month, and the number

of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by

my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from

my own experience.

However, my experience tells me that there are many

reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number

of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was

still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient

was not benefiting from my care. I might want a second

opinion.

Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of

the patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have

had a previous problem and, whether or not it has

anything to do with the current one, the insurer may

have a question about it. Compensability is more of a

concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the

patient has degenerative disc disease and then

exacerbates the problem at work (in Oregon this is

called major versus material contributing cause).

Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart

notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors

put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than

determining IF the patient would benefit from care

and, if so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this

patient, we try to build a case for treating the

patient with "positive" findings. But there is no

critical mass of positive findings beyond which

treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be

consistency between the history, mechanism of injury,

exam findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a clinically

meaningful cluster of findings leads to a diagnosis.

Disability and impairment. Often there is a question

about temporary disability - was it necessary for the

patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so,

for how long? Other times the question concerns

permanent disability and impairment - to what degree,

if any, will the patient be limited or unable to

perform normal activities for the remainder of his or

her life?

Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more

than one condition? If so, to what extent does each

condition contribute to the need for treatment? I

think most chiropractors were never taught in school

how to determine apportionment. I know I didn't learn

it there. I see records - and have seen this method

recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops

treatment for one injury when the patient sustains a

second injury, saying they will go back to treating

the first injury when the second one resolves. In

terms of tissue damage and the healing process, this

makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to

apportion the percentage of treatment between the two

injuries.

Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes

to the ER shortly after an accident complaining of

neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and

low back pain, the carrier might question whether the

LBP resulted from the compensable injury. Also, I've

seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a

diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not

symptomatic, usually because "subluxations," segmental

dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are found on

exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as

well. If you diagnose a moderate to severe cervical

sprain/strain, for instance, and then proceed to

adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your

treatment is injuring the patient further. After all,

you are saying they have a serious ligament injury

(think of a "moderate to severe sprain" of the knee or

ankle).

In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two

major ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of

these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate,

legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a

doctor complain that she didn't get paid enough to

write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't

keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.

So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no

pun intended). I really would like to know from other

readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in

your own practices.

J. Burke, D.C.

>

> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic

Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per

troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased

IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the

“over side of the fence.‡ We do not wish to end up

like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to

receive a referral from a medical professional

including a physician’s assistant and limits of care

to $2,500†& brkbar;.Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined

the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need

your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office

and join today†& brkbar;503-256-1601, Vern Saboe

if you have specific questions call me any Time

541-231-4528 Cell

>

>

>

> From:

<mailto:%40>

[mailto:

] On Behalf Of ph Medlin

>

>

>

>

>

>

> The increase as of late in IME’s has been

enormous in our office. We have more patients going to

IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have

an IME requested of my patients. There is something in

the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree

as of late?

>

>

>

> I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain

levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting

IMEd.......uuughhh.

>

>

>

> ph Medlin D.C.

>

Guest guest

Do all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients!

**WHAT? I disagree adamantly. I’m not sure about your practice, but I’m a chiro and patients get adjusted on every visit here and the charge is the same and since I’m worth it, I feel charging to the full extent of what’s allowable is fair. Do things change as the patient progresses regarding exercise/rehab? Yep, but they still get an adjustment and some tissue work to loosen things up on every visit. It’s part of the therapeutic recovery. I also do ALL the work, except if they see our LMT. I do NOT run a mill and actually take offense at the insinuation.

This may be just a coincidence and the number of IMEâ€s may drop in a few months. Who knows. The amount of PIP I see has also steadily increased, but I’ve got some colleagues who have responded off list who are also experiencing an uptick in these exams DESPITE performing the best “doctoring†there is out there. I also notice that most of the folks responding saying they haven’t noticed an increase in IME’s are outside of PDX. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Folks, I think we’re giving adjusters wayy too much credit. Again, if you think that you are safe because you take measures that you perceive to be preventative in the ordering of these exams, I’m here to tell you you are not. We have not noticed ANY logical correlation to the exam or connection between patients. 5 visits in ordered, ordered at the end of treatment when patient has shown nothing but improvement and 0 VAS discharge etc. etc... Even NOT being ordered on patients where you may think it would be.......SO convincing ourselves this is only happening to bad doctors or PIP mills is misguided and wrong.

Despite our stellar communication, narrative written reports upon every exam followed by call to adjuster, clear treatment plan, and our best estimation when MMI will be achieved, we are experiencing an interruption in our GOOD DOCTORING. Despite having an excellent record of getting people out of pain without exhausting PIP or signing them up for 30 visit tx plans, we are experiencing an interruption in our GOOD DOCTORING. Assuming it’s the other way around would be a blatant mistake and a slap in the face to many good Doctors of Chiropractic.

ph Medlin D.C.

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:42 PM

mjqpdc

Cc:

Very good concise response . Thanks.I have not had an increase in IMEs within the last 2 or 3 years. I have had a couple that I disagreed with but in those cases there were grounds for professional disagreement.I do feel that the treating physician knows much more about the myriad clinical aspects of their patient's condition than any IME. So, because many IME opinions are so definite and result in such a dramatic effect on a patient's well being, it seems unfair that one opinion from only 1 day in a patient's life carries so much weight.Not withstanding this, if the treating doc does not document the complications, altered treatment approaches, refine the dx codes and appear to be managing their patient's care thoughtfully, it is a given that someone will get wind of this and start doing IMEs. Do all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients! Does every PI patient PIP out with only chiropractic care or is there consultation and referral patterns that show clinical decision making? Does everyone get massage or fascial release every visit? Does their family primary care provider get a note and a request for past medicals?I was in court last week on a PIP trial and the defense asked if I knew about this patients past LBP history.......I did not, despite the fact that it was her MD that referred her to me for the MVA injuries after 4 mo of PT hadn't helped! I hadn't asked either. It won't make much difference because the primary injuries were cervical and thoracic. Nevertheless I had a wake up call again!In short we will always have problems, but the more real doctoring we do the less there is to question.On 3/15/2012 7:23 PM, mjqpdc wrote:

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed, namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the exception of that ever-present "few" or, more recently "several" docs or "IME mills" who no one ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous terms. Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there docs who have not experienced an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're experience an increase, have you looked at stats for previous years and compared them to the present to see if your perception is correct?I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too easy to read someone's post, maybe see a couple of concurring posts, and assume that the problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only a few IMEs per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from my own experience. However, my experience tells me that there are many reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not benefiting from my care. I might want a second opinion. Here are some reasons IMEs are requested:Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have had a previous problem and, whether or not it has anything to do with the current one, the insurer may have a question about it. Compensability is more of a concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the patient has degenerative disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work (in Oregon this is called major versus material contributing cause). Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this patient, we try to build a case for treating the patient with "positive" findings. But there is no critical mass of positive findings beyond which treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be consistency between the history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of findings leads to a diagnosis. Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about temporary disability - was it necessary for the patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so, for how long? Other times the question concerns permanent disability and impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be limited or unable to perform normal activities for the remainder of his or her life? Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than one condition? If so, to what extent does each condition contribute to the need for treatment? I think most chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine apportionment. I know I didn't learn it there. I see records - and have seen this method recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury when the patient sustains a second injury, saying they will go back to treating the first injury when the second one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the healing process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to apportion the percentage of treatment between the two injuries. Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the ER shortly after an accident complaining of neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and low back pain, the carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not symptomatic, usually because "subluxations," segmental dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are found on exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as well. If you diagnose a moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your treatment is injuring the patient further. After all, you are saying they have a serious ligament injury (think of a "moderate to severe sprain" of the knee or ankle). In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate, legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain that she didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun intended). I really would like to know from other readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in your own practices. J. Burke, D.C. >> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.†We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell > > > > From: mailto:%40 [mailto:mailto:%40] On Behalf Of ph Medlin> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM> mailto:%40> Subject: IME increase> > > > > > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?> > > > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.> > > > ph Medlin D.C.>

Guest guest

Thank you Joe ..... very well stated. I too was somewhat offended by that statement. Dr. Burke appears to be painting with as broad a brush as he claims is being used against him. Judgement about cases from these docs, when hired by an interested party, will always be suspect. There is an idea of a system for choosing IMEs that pulls randomly from a state list that seems FAR fairer for both patient and doc ..... it appears that it will take legislation to achieve ..... which means time is involved. In the meantime, we appear to be stuck with this unfair and unjust mechanism. It seems that all and each are performing to their best ..... it is just that the lines of judgement are clouded with money interests. And the patient is thwarted. We need a system that chooses a doc to perform an IME from a random list, not driven by the money sources. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com mjqpdc@...; johncc48@...CC: From: spinetree@...Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:53:42 -0700Subject: Re: IME increase

Do all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients!

**WHAT? I disagree adamantly. I’m not sure about your practice, but I’m a chiro and patients get adjusted on every visit here and the charge is the same and since I’m worth it, I feel charging to the full extent of what’s allowable is fair. Do things change as the patient progresses regarding exercise/rehab? Yep, but they still get an adjustment and some tissue work to loosen things up on every visit. It’s part of the therapeutic recovery. I also do ALL the work, except if they see our LMT. I do NOT run a mill and actually take offense at the insinuation.

This may be just a coincidence and the number of IME”s may drop in a few months. Who knows. The amount of PIP I see has also steadily increased, but I’ve got some colleagues who have responded off list who are also experiencing an uptick in these exams DESPITE performing the best “doctoring” there is out there. I also notice that most of the folks responding saying they haven’t noticed an increase in IME’s are outside of PDX. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Folks, I think we’re giving adjusters wayy too much credit. Again, if you think that you are safe because you take measures that you perceive to be preventative in the ordering of these exams, I’m here to tell you you are not. We have not noticed ANY logical correlation to the exam or connection between patients. 5 visits in ordered, ordered at the end of treatment when patient has shown nothing but improvement and 0 VAS discharge etc. etc... Even NOT being ordered on patients where you may think it would be.......SO convincing ourselves this is only happening to bad doctors or PIP mills is misguided and wrong.

Despite our stellar communication, narrative written reports upon every exam followed by call to adjuster, clear treatment plan, and our best estimation when MMI will be achieved, we are experiencing an interruption in our GOOD DOCTORING. Despite having an excellent record of getting people out of pain without exhausting PIP or signing them up for 30 visit tx plans, we are experiencing an interruption in our GOOD DOCTORING. Assuming it’s the other way around would be a blatant mistake and a slap in the face to many good Doctors of Chiropractic.

ph Medlin D.C.

mjqpdc

Cc:

Very good concise response . Thanks.I have not had an increase in IMEs within the last 2 or 3 years. I have had a couple that I disagreed with but in those cases there were grounds for professional disagreement.I do feel that the treating physician knows much more about the myriad clinical aspects of their patient's condition than any IME. So, because many IME opinions are so definite and result in such a dramatic effect on a patient's well being, it seems unfair that one opinion from only 1 day in a patient's life carries so much weight.Not withstanding this, if the treating doc does not document the complications, altered treatment approaches, refine the dx codes and appear to be managing their patient's care thoughtfully, it is a given that someone will get wind of this and start doing IMEs. Do all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients! Does every PI patient PIP out with only chiropractic care or is there consultation and referral patterns that show clinical decision making? Does everyone get massage or fascial release every visit? Does their family primary care provider get a note and a request for past medicals?I was in court last week on a PIP trial and the defense asked if I knew about this patients past LBP history.......I did not, despite the fact that it was her MD that referred her to me for the MVA injuries after 4 mo of PT hadn't helped! I hadn't asked either. It won't make much difference because the primary injuries were cervical and thoracic. Nevertheless I had a wake up call again!In short we will always have problems, but the more real doctoring we do the less there is to question.On 3/15/2012 7:23 PM, mjqpdc wrote:

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed, namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the exception of that ever-present "few" or, more recently "several" docs or "IME mills" who no one ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous terms. Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there docs who have not experienced an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're experience an increase, have you looked at stats for previous years and compared them to the present to see if your perception is correct?I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too easy to read someone's post, maybe see a couple of concurring posts, and assume that the problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only a few IMEs per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from my own experience. However, my experience tells me that there are many reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not benefiting from my care. I might want a second opinion. Here are some reasons IMEs are requested:Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have had a previous problem and, whether or not it has anything to do with the current one, the insurer may have a question about it. Compensability is more of a concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the patient has degenerative disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work (in Oregon this is called major versus material contributing cause). Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this patient, we try to build a case for treating the patient with "positive" findings. But there is no critical mass of positive findings beyond which treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be consistency between the history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of findings leads to a diagnosis. Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about temporary disability - was it necessary for the patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so, for how long? Other times the question concerns permanent disability and impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be limited or unable to perform normal activities for the remainder of his or her life? Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than one condition? If so, to what extent does each condition contribute to the need for treatment? I think most chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine apportionment. I know I didn't learn it there. I see records - and have seen this method recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury when the patient sustains a second injury, saying they will go back to treating the first injury when the second one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the healing process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to apportion the percentage of treatment between the two injuries. Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the ER shortly after an accident complaining of neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and low back pain, the carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not symptomatic, usually because "subluxations," segmental dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are found on exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as well. If you diagnose a moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your treatment is injuring the patient further. After all, you are saying they have a serious ligament injury (think of a "moderate to severe sprain" of the knee or ankle). In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate, legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain that she didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun intended). I really would like to know from other readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in your own practices. J. Burke, D.C. >> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.†We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell > > > > From: mailto:%40 [mailto:mailto:%40] On Behalf Of ph Medlin> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM> mailto:%40> Subject: IME increase> > > > > > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?> > > > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.> > > > ph Medlin D.C.>

Guest guest

Yes, and the IME exam itself is actually a different topic than what I'm harping on here. It’s the IME order itself. Believe me, if there was a clear criteria to follow, we would conform to that. It’s such an ambiguous system in regards to the ordering..Sure there are elements beyond our treatment that cause the ordering of the exam, but these should be pretty rare and I know for a fact that they played no part in many of the exams ordered from our office.

I wish for a more up front out in the open means of ordering these exams. I am weary of the mystery and the game of “avoid the IME” in which is impossible to win.

ph Medlin D.C.

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 10:13 AM

joe medlin ; mjqpdc@... ; DC

Cc:

Subject: RE: IME increase

Thank you Joe ..... very well stated. I too was somewhat offended by that statement. Dr. Burke appears to be painting with as broad a brush as he claims is being used against him. Judgement about cases from these docs, when hired by an interested party, will always be suspect. There is an idea of a system for choosing IMEs that pulls randomly from a state list that seems FAR fairer for both patient and doc ..... it appears that it will take legislation to achieve ..... which means time is involved. In the meantime, we appear to be stuck with this unfair and unjust mechanism. It seems that all and each are performing to their best ..... it is just that the lines of judgement are clouded with money interests. And the patient is thwarted. We need a system that chooses a doc to perform an IME from a random list, not driven by the money sources. Sunny

Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com

mjqpdc@...; johncc48@...CC: From: spinetree@...Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:53:42 -0700Subject: Re: IME increase

This may be just a coincidence and the number of IME”s may drop in a few months. Who knows. The amount of PIP I see has also steadily increased, but I’ve got some colleagues who have responded off list who are also experiencing an uptick in these exams DESPITE performing the best “doctoring” there is out there. I also notice that most of the folks responding saying they haven’t noticed an increase in IME’s are outside of PDX. Not sure if that makes a difference.

ph Medlin D.C.

mjqpdc

Cc:

Guest guest

Have any of you clever little IME'ers considered THIS?

PERHAPS the increase in IME's is simply the Ins industry gathering intel/ammunition/statistics against chiropractic that will be presented to the legislature next term in order to ELIMINATE PIP coverage in Oregon?! (hello...any light bulbs coming on???).

PERHAPS...the docs in this state who are performing these questionable/non-questionable IME's are just playing into the hands of the very industry that will cut their financial throat once they get the "stats" they need...(i.e., in Oregon 90% of the chiropractic claims that went through "IME" were found to be providing care that was either "not reasonable" or "not medically necessary"). How would THAT look to the legislature???

EVERY IME I've ever seen has recommended a CUT IN CARE...(even if they eventually pay...they still have that crappy little piece of paper "on record"). Except one IME from an MD who THOUGHT he was cutting care by recommending 1 tx a week, whereas we had already decreased tx to 1-2 times a month. So....we INCREASED CARE--per his recommendation--to 4 tx a month ;) (HEY...he's the expert!! What do I know??).

So, the ins industry can use the fact that EVERY IME cuts care to create the "illusion" with the legislature that EVERY chiropractor claim has over-utilization. Combine that with the horrific stats from the "true" PIP Mills...and we could literally be "IME'ing" ourselves right out of PIP coverage in Oregon.

Wake up profession, and stop cutting your's and your brethren's throats (financially speaking of course). Because if the cut PIP...YOU don't get to perform any more IME's!! (:-)

M. s, D.C.

IME increase> > > > > > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?> > > > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.> > > > ph Medlin D.C.>

Guest guest

Dr. Medlin and all others.

The problem with the insurance company ordering an IME is that most

patients will just drop out of care by virtue of the IME being

ordered and the insurance company stating if the IME finds against

the treating doc, then care will be denied and payment will be

withheld.  It works, most every time.  Surely this can't be the

underlying intent?  Unless the patient is represented by a good

attorney they usually just drop off the face of the earth missing

much needed care.  I am not an attorney, but this seems like a bad

faith interference. 

At the Bowen/Pendleton seminar yesterday, the topic of IMEs came

up.  What was mentioned and brought to light was a way to at least

be in the loop with regards to IMEs.  This is to have your patient

sign a UCC Lien and Assignment.  This is then sent to the insurance

company, both the at-fault and patient PIP carrier.  You don't need

to file the UCC Lien, just have the patient sign it.  When the

insurance company gets copied by Certified Mail, they will then be

put under a different set of rules.  You then have the right to be

notified when an IME is going to be ordered, and you can then inform

the insurer how you expect the IME to be done and what parameters

are to be met.  You also will be put in front of the line for

payment, rather than at the back of the bus. 

The insurer then is required to send you a copy of the IME when it

is done, and they can't say it isn't any of your business.  If you

haven't seen any of Mr. Bowen or Pendleton's stuff, you all should

attend. 

Hope this information is helpful.

Grice, DC

Albany, OR

On 3/16/2012 10:35 AM, ph Medlin wrote:

Yes, and the IME exam itself is actually a

different topic than what I'm harping on here.  It’s

the IME order itself. Believe me, if there was a clear

criteria to follow, we would conform to that. It’s

such an ambiguous system in regards to the

ordering..Sure there are elements beyond our treatment

that cause the ordering of the exam, but these should

be pretty rare and I know for a fact that they played

no part in many of the exams ordered from our office.

I wish for a more up front out in the open means of

ordering these exams. I am weary of the mystery and

the game of “avoid the IME” in which is impossible to

win.

ph Medlin D.C.

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 10:13 AM

joe

medlin ; mjqpdc@...

;

DC

Cc:

Subject: RE: IME

increase

Thank you Joe ..... very well stated. 

I too was somewhat offended by that statement.   Dr.

Burke appears to be painting with as broad a brush

as he claims is being used against him.

Judgement about cases from these docs, when hired by

an interested party, will always be suspect.  There

is an idea of a system for choosing IMEs that pulls

randomly from a state list that seems FAR fairer for

both patient and doc .... it appears that it will

take legislation to achieve ..... which means time

is involved.   In the meantime, we appear to be

stuck with this unfair and unjust mechanism.

It seems that all and each are performing to their

best ..... it is just that the lines of judgement

are clouded with money interests.  And the patient

is thwarted.  We need a system that chooses a doc to

perform an IME from a random list, not driven by the

money sources.

Sunny

Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC

Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon

2677 Willakenzie Road, 7C

Eugene, Oregon, 97401

541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834

www.drsunnykierstyn.com

mjqpdc@...; johncc48@...

CC:

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:53:42 -0700

Do all the

treatment codes stay the same visit by

visit, are all the charges the same

and at the top of the allowable limits

for every visit? This IS a "mill" even

if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients!

**WHAT?  I disagree adamantly. I’m

not sure about your practice, but I’m

a chiro and patients get adjusted on

every visit here and the charge is the

same and since I’m worth it, I feel

charging to the full extent of what’s

allowable is fair.  Do things change

as the patient progresses regarding

exercise/rehab? Yep, but they still

get an adjustment and some tissue work

to loosen things up on every visit.

It’s part of the therapeutic

recovery.  I also do ALL the work,

except if they see our LMT.  I do NOT

run a mill and actually take offense

at the insinuation.

This may be just a coincidence and

the number of IME”s may drop in a few

months. Who knows.  The amount of PIP

I see has also steadily increased, 

but I’ve got some colleagues who have

responded off list who are also

experiencing an uptick in these exams

DESPITE performing the best

“doctoring” there is out there.  I

also notice that most of the folks

responding saying they haven’t noticed

an increase in IME’s are outside of

PDX. Not sure if that makes a

difference.

Folks, I think we’re giving

adjusters wayy too much credit. 

Again, if you think that you are safe

because you take measures that you

perceive to be preventative in the

ordering of these exams, I’m here to

tell you you are not.  We have not

noticed ANY logical correlation to the

exam or connection between patients. 5

visits in ordered, ordered at the end

of treatment when patient has shown

nothing but improvement and 0 VAS

discharge etc. etc... Even NOT being

ordered on patients where you may

think it would be.......SO convincing

ourselves this is only happening to

bad doctors or PIP mills is misguided

and wrong.

Despite our stellar communication,

narrative written reports upon every

exam followed by call to adjuster,

clear treatment plan, and our best

estimation when MMI will be achieved,

we are experiencing an interruption in

our GOOD DOCTORING. Despite having an

excellent record of getting people out

of pain without exhausting PIP or

signing them up for 30 visit tx plans,

we are experiencing an interruption in

our GOOD DOCTORING.   Assuming it’s

the other way around would be a

blatant mistake and a slap in the face

to many good Doctors of Chiropractic.

ph Medlin D.C.

Colwell

Sent: Thursday, March

15, 2012 9:42 PM

mjqpdc

Cc:

Subject: Re: [From

OregonDCs] IME increase

Very good concise response

. Thanks.

I have not had an increase in IMEs

within the last 2 or 3 years. I

have had a couple that I disagreed

with but in those cases there were

grounds for professional

disagreement.

I do feel that the treating

physician knows much more about

the myriad clinical aspects of

their patient's condition than any

IME. So, because many IME opinions

are so definite and result in such

a dramatic effect on a patient's

well being, it seems unfair that

one opinion from only 1 day in a

patient's life carries so much

weight.

Not withstanding this, if the

treating doc does not document the

complications, altered treatment

approaches, refine the dx codes

and appear to be managing their

patient's care thoughtfully, it is

a given that someone will get wind

of this and start doing IMEs. Do

all the treatment codes stay the

same visit by visit, are all the

charges the same and at the top of

the allowable limits for every

visit? This IS a "mill" even if it

for just 2 or 3 MVA patients! 

Does every PI patient PIP out with

only chiropractic care or is there

consultation and referral patterns

that show clinical decision

making? Does everyone get massage

or fascial release every visit?

Does their family primary care

provider get a note and a request

for past medicals?

I was in court last week on a PIP

trial and the defense asked if I

knew about this patients past LBP

history.......I did not, despite

the fact that it was her MD that

referred her to me for the MVA

injuries after 4 mo of PT hadn't

helped!  I hadn't asked either. It

won't make much difference because

the primary injuries were cervical

and thoracic. Nevertheless I had a

wake up call again!

In short we will always have

problems, but the more real

doctoring we do the less there is

to question.

On 3/15/2012 7:23 PM, mjqpdc

wrote:

I'm not disputing Dr.

Medlin's perception that the

number of IMEs is increasing,

only that there seems to be a

one-sided view that continues

to be expressed, namely that

all chiropractors are good and

IMEs are bad (with the

exception of that ever-present

"few" or, more recently

"several" docs or "IME mills"

who no one ever names). I

doubt the reality can be

presented in such dichotomous

terms.

Are any other docs on this

listserv besides Dr. M

experiencing this? Are there

docs who have not experienced

an increase? Are there docs on

the listserv whose patients

rarely if ever get sent for

IMEs? If you believe you're

experience an increase, have

you looked at stats for

previous years and compared

them to the present to see if

your perception is correct?

I'm asking these questions in

good faith. I think it's too

easy to read someone's post,

maybe see a couple of

concurring posts, and assume

that the problem is

widespread. I really don't

know, so I'm asking. I do only

a few IMEs per month, and the

number of IMEs I perform is

much fewer than in the past,

by my own choice, so I cannot

judge these statements from my

own experience.

However, my experience tells

me that there are many reasons

IMEs are requested. It's not

always the number of visits.

If I saw a patient 8 times and

the pain was still at 5-6, I

would be concerned that the

patient was not benefiting

from my care. I might want a

second opinion.

Here are some reasons IMEs are

requested:

Causation and compensability.

Sometimes the cause of the

patient's injuries is in

dispute. They may have had a

previous problem and, whether

or not it has anything to do

with the current one, the

insurer may have a question

about it. Compensability is

more of a concern in workers'

compensation cases, as when

the patient has degenerative

disc disease and then

exacerbates the problem at

work (in Oregon this is called

major versus material

contributing cause).

Medical necessity of

treatment. Do the doctor's

chart notes document medical

necessity? Sometimes doctors

put the cart before the horse,

that is, rather than

determining IF the patient

would benefit from care and,

if so, WHAT KIND of treatment

is best for this patient, we

try to build a case for

treating the patient with

"positive" findings. But there

is no critical mass of

positive findings beyond which

treatment is necessarily

justified. There has to be

consistency between the

history, mechanism of injury,

exam findings, and the

diagnosis. Usually a

clinically meaningful cluster

of findings leads to a

diagnosis.

Disability and impairment.

Often there is a question

about temporary disability -

was it necessary for the

patient to miss work because

of the injuries? If so, for

how long? Other times the

question concerns permanent

disability and impairment - to

what degree, if any, will the

patient be limited or unable

to perform normal activities

for the remainder of his or

her life?

Apportionment. Is the patient

being treated for more than

one condition? If so, to what

extent does each condition

contribute to the need for

treatment? I think most

chiropractors were never

taught in school how to

determine apportionment. I

know I didn't learn it there.

I see records - and have seen

this method recommended on

this listserv - where the doc

stops treatment for one injury

when the patient sustains a

second injury, saying they

will go back to treating the

first injury when the second

one resolves. In terms of

tissue damage and the healing

process, this makes no sense,

but it's easier than trying to

apportion the percentage of

treatment between the two

injuries.

Location and nature of injury.

If your patient goes to the ER

shortly after an accident

complaining of neck pain and

later comes to you with neck

pain and low back pain, the

carrier might question whether

the LBP resulted from the

compensable injury. Also, I've

seen many cases where the

treating doctor gives a

diagnosis for an area which

wasn't injured and is not

symptomatic, usually because

"subluxations," segmental

dysfunction, and increased

muscle tone are found on exam.

The nature of the injury can

be questionable as well. If

you diagnose a moderate to

severe cervical sprain/strain,

for instance, and then proceed

to adjust the patient's neck,

it might appear that your

treatment is injuring the

patient further. After all,

you are saying they have a

serious ligament injury (think

of a "moderate to severe

sprain" of the knee or ankle).

In my opinion, all of these

reasons boil down to two major

ones: DOCUMENTATION and

COMMUNICATION. Most of these

problems can be prevented by

keeping accurate, legible, and

complete chart records. I once

heard a doctor complain that

she didn't get paid enough to

write good chart notes. I

would say that if you don't

keep good chart notes, you

won't get paid.

So I'll step down off my soap

box for now (sorry, no pun

intended). I really would like

to know from other readers how

much of an IME problem you

perceive in your own

practices.

J. Burke, D.C.

>

> Storm clouds, the Oregon

Chiropractic Association is

being proactive and

pre-emptive as per troubled

areas in PIP including

excessive IMEs, biased IMEs,

file reviews and other forms

of abuse on the “over side

of the fence.†We do not

wish to end up like Florida

wherein you are reduced to

having to receive a referral

from a medical professional

including a physician’s

assistant and limits of care

to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS:

Have you joined the fight

colleagues? Have you joined

the OCA? We need your

financial help and your ideas

call he OCA office and join

today…503-256-1601, Vern

Saboe if you have specific

questions call me any Time

541-231-4528 Cell

>

>

>

> From: mailto:%40

[mailto:mailto:%40]

On Behalf Of ph Medlin

> Sent: Thursday, March 15,

2012 11:07 AM

> mailto:%40

> Subject:

IME increase

>

>

>

>

>

> The increase as of late

in IME’s has been enormous

in our office. We have more

patients going to IME’s than

not at this point. I used to

NEVER have an IME requested of

my patients. There is

something in the water. Anyone

else noticing this to a high

degree as of late?

>

>

>

> I mean cases that are 8

visits in with pain levels of

5-6 of 10 and they’re

>

>

>

> ph Medlin D.C.

>

Guest guest

Yes I have seen in my practice an increase in IME's. I rarely had any for years

now over the last 6-8 months I have had three. Two from one company.

Specifically I will not name the company but on one case they called for a paper

review because they questioned my apportionment. The MD did a paper review and

admitted he did not have my notes from ths Ins. company but with every other

doc's notes decided her condition was not the MVC's fault. I appealed and they

did not change their opinion. The other case I treated was at the end of

treatment, approx. 2 weeks away form being stationary. Attornyes have them both.

Some MD reviewer is going to cost the insurance company way more than all the

doc's fees on the first one.

Brad Rethwill DC

Eugene

> >

> > Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and

file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.†We

do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive

a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and

limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues?

Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA

office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions

call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell

> >

> >

> >

> > From: [mailto: ] On Behalf

Of ph Medlin

> > Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM

> >

> > Subject: IME increase

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have

> >

> >

> >

> > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and

they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.

> >

> >

> >

> > ph Medlin D.C.

> >

>

Guest guest

Brad, I believe if this doctor made any conclusion on incomplete

data, ie he didn't have your notes, then he has committed a form of

insurance fraud. I am not an attorney, but I would send him to the

Insurance Commissioner, or his board for review. If he doesn't

review all data, his report is misleading, at the very least and is

probably a fundamentally flawed IME report.

Ron Grice, DC

Albany, OR

On 3/16/2012 11:09 AM, bradrethwilldc wrote:

Yes I have seen in my practice an increase in IME's. I

rarely had any for years now over the last 6-8 months I

have had three. Two from one company. Specifically I will

not name the company but on one case they called for a

paper review because they questioned my apportionment. The

MD did a paper review and admitted he did not have my

notes from ths Ins. company but with every other doc's

notes decided her condition was not the MVC's fault. I

appealed and they did not change their opinion. The other

case I treated was at the end of treatment, approx. 2

weeks away form being stationary. Attornyes have them

both. Some MD reviewer is going to cost the insurance

company way more than all the doc's fees on the first one.

Brad Rethwill DC

Eugene

> >

> > Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic

IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over

side of the fence.†We do not wish to end up like

Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a

referral from a medical professional including a

physician’s assistant and limits of care to

$2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight

colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your

financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join

today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific

questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell

> >

> >

> >

> > From:

On Behalf Of ph Medlin

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > The increase as of late in IME’s has been

IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an

IME requested of my patients. There is something in the

water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of

late?

> >

> >

> >

> > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain

IMEd.......uuughhh.

> >

> >

> >

> > ph Medlin D.C.

> >

>

Guest guest

I'm in with that Sunny.

That effort started about 15 years ago with a certification course

but, as I recall, it died because ther was no legilative mandate

that the ins cos needed to use the new system. They wanted to use

the old 'in their favor' system. I don't know when it died but Vern

would be a good resource for looking into this again.

Colwell

On 3/16/2012 10:13 AM, Sunny Kierstyn wrote:

Thank you Joe ..... very well stated.  I too was somewhat

offended by that statement.   Dr. Burke appears to be painting

with as broad a brush as he claims is being used against him.

Judgement about cases from these docs, when hired by an

interested party, will always be suspect.  There is an idea of a

system for choosing IMEs that pulls randomly from a state list

that seems FAR fairer for both patient and doc ..... it appears

that it will take legislation to achieve ..... which means time

is involved.   In the meantime, we appear to be stuck with this

unfair and unjust mechanism.

It seems that all and each are performing to their best ..... it

is just that the lines of judgement are clouded with money

interests.  And the patient is thwarted.  We need a system that

chooses a doc to perform an IME from a random list, not driven

by the money sources.

Sunny

Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC

Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon

2677 Willakenzie Road, 7C

Eugene, Oregon, 97401

541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834

www.drsunnykierstyn.com

mjqpdc@...;

johncc48@...

CC:

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:53:42 -0700

Do all the treatment codes

stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges

the same and at the top of the allowable limits

for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for

just 2 or 3 MVA patients!

**WHAT?  I disagree adamantly. I’m not sure

about your practice, but I’m a chiro and patients

get adjusted on every visit here and the charge is

the same and since I’m worth it, I feel charging

to the full extent of what’s allowable is fair. 

Do things change as the patient progresses

regarding exercise/rehab? Yep, but they still get

an adjustment and some tissue work to loosen

things up on every visit. It’s part of the

therapeutic recovery.  I also do ALL the work,

except if they see our LMT.  I do NOT run a mill

and actually take offense at the insinuation.

This may be just a coincidence and the number

of IME”s may drop in a few months. Who knows.  The

amount of PIP I see has also steadily increased, 

but I’ve got some colleagues who have responded

off list who are also experiencing an uptick in

these exams DESPITE performing the best

“doctoring” there is out there.  I also notice

that most of the folks responding saying they

haven’t noticed an increase in IME’s are outside

of PDX. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Folks, I think we’re giving adjusters wayy too

much credit.  Again, if you think that you are

safe because you take measures that you perceive

to be preventative in the ordering of these exams,

I’m here to tell you you are not.  We have not

noticed ANY logical correlation to the exam or

connection between patients. 5 visits in ordered,

ordered at the end of treatment when patient has

shown nothing but improvement and 0 VAS discharge

etc. etc... Even NOT being ordered on patients

where you may think it would be.......SO

convincing ourselves this is only happening to bad

doctors or PIP mills is misguided and wrong.

Despite our stellar communication, narrative

written reports upon every exam followed by call

to adjuster, clear treatment plan, and our best

estimation when MMI will be achieved, we are

experiencing an interruption in our GOOD

DOCTORING. Despite having an excellent record of

getting people out of pain without exhausting PIP

or signing them up for 30 visit tx plans, we are

experiencing an interruption in our GOOD

DOCTORING.   Assuming it’s the other way around

would be a blatant mistake and a slap in the face

to many good Doctors of Chiropractic.

ph

Medlin D.C.

Colwell

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012

9:42 PM

mjqpdc

Cc:

Subject: Re: IME

increase

I have not had an increase in IMEs within the

last 2 or 3 years. I have had a couple that I

disagreed with but in those cases there were

grounds for professional disagreement.

I do feel that the treating physician knows

much more about the myriad clinical aspects of

their patient's condition than any IME. So,

because many IME opinions are so definite and

result in such a dramatic effect on a

patient's well being, it seems unfair that one

opinion from only 1 day in a patient's life

carries so much weight.

Not withstanding this, if the treating doc

does not document the complications, altered

treatment approaches, refine the dx codes and

appear to be managing their patient's care

thoughtfully, it is a given that someone will

get wind of this and start doing IMEs. Do all

the treatment codes stay the same visit by

visit, are all the charges the same and at the

top of the allowable limits for every visit?

This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3

MVA patients! 

Does every PI patient PIP out with only

chiropractic care or is there consultation and

referral patterns that show clinical decision

making? Does everyone get massage or fascial

release every visit? Does their family primary

care provider get a note and a request for

past medicals?

I was in court last week on a PIP trial and

the defense asked if I knew about this

patients past LBP history.......I did not,

despite the fact that it was her MD that

referred her to me for the MVA injuries after

4 mo of PT hadn't helped!  I hadn't asked

either. It won't make much difference because

the primary injuries were cervical and

thoracic. Nevertheless I had a wake up call

again!

In short we will always have problems, but the

more real doctoring we do the less there is to

question.

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception

that the number of IMEs is increasing,

only that there seems to be a one-sided

view that continues to be expressed,

namely that all chiropractors are good and

IMEs are bad (with the exception of that

ever-present "few" or, more recently

"several" docs or "IME mills" who no one

ever names). I doubt the reality can be

presented in such dichotomous terms.

Are any other docs on this listserv

besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there

docs who have not experienced an increase?

Are there docs on the listserv whose

patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs?

If you believe you're experience an

increase, have you looked at stats for

previous years and compared them to the

present to see if your perception is

correct?

I'm asking these questions in good faith.

I think it's too easy to read someone's

post, maybe see a couple of concurring

posts, and assume that the problem is

widespread. I really don't know, so I'm

asking. I do only a few IMEs per month,

and the number of IMEs I perform is much

fewer than in the past, by my own choice,

so I cannot judge these statements from my

own experience.

However, my experience tells me that there

are many reasons IMEs are requested. It's

not always the number of visits. If I saw

a patient 8 times and the pain was still

at 5-6, I would be concerned that the

patient was not benefiting from my care. I

might want a second opinion.

Causation and compensability. Sometimes

the cause of the patient's injuries is in

dispute. They may have had a previous

problem and, whether or not it has

anything to do with the current one, the

insurer may have a question about it.

Compensability is more of a concern in

workers' compensation cases, as when the

patient has degenerative disc disease and

then exacerbates the problem at work (in

Oregon this is called major versus

material contributing cause).

Medical necessity of treatment. Do the

doctor's chart notes document medical

necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart

before the horse, that is, rather than

determining IF the patient would benefit

from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of

treatment is best for this patient, we try

to build a case for treating the patient

with "positive" findings. But there is no

critical mass of positive findings beyond

which treatment is necessarily justified.

There has to be consistency between the

history, mechanism of injury, exam

findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a

clinically meaningful cluster of findings

leads to a diagnosis.

Disability and impairment. Often there is

a question about temporary disability -

was it necessary for the patient to miss

work because of the injuries? If so, for

how long? Other times the question

concerns permanent disability and

impairment - to what degree, if any, will

the patient be limited or unable to

perform normal activities for the

remainder of his or her life?

Apportionment. Is the patient being

treated for more than one condition? If

so, to what extent does each condition

contribute to the need for treatment? I

think most chiropractors were never taught

in school how to determine apportionment.

I know I didn't learn it there. I see

records - and have seen this method

recommended on this listserv - where the

doc stops treatment for one injury when

the patient sustains a second injury,

saying they will go back to treating the

first injury when the second one resolves.

In terms of tissue damage and the healing

process, this makes no sense, but it's

easier than trying to apportion the

percentage of treatment between the two

injuries.

Location and nature of injury. If your

patient goes to the ER shortly after an

accident complaining of neck pain and

later comes to you with neck pain and low

back pain, the carrier might question

whether the LBP resulted from the

compensable injury. Also, I've seen many

cases where the treating doctor gives a

diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured

and is not symptomatic, usually because

"subluxations," segmental dysfunction, and

increased muscle tone are found on exam.

The nature of the injury can be

questionable as well. If you diagnose a

moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain,

for instance, and then proceed to adjust

the patient's neck, it might appear that

your treatment is injuring the patient

further. After all, you are saying they

have a serious ligament injury (think of a

"moderate to severe sprain" of the knee or

ankle).

In my opinion, all of these reasons boil

down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION and

COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can

be prevented by keeping accurate, legible,

and complete chart records. I once heard a

doctor complain that she didn't get paid

enough to write good chart notes. I would

say that if you don't keep good chart

notes, you won't get paid.

So I'll step down off my soap box for now

(sorry, no pun intended). I really would

like to know from other readers how much

of an IME problem you perceive in your own

practices.

J. Burke, D.C.

>

> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic

Association is being proactive and

pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP

including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs,

file reviews and other forms of abuse on

the “over side of the fence.†We do

not wish to end up like Florida wherein

you are reduced to having to receive a

referral from a medical professional

including a physician’s assistant and

limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS:

Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have

you joined the OCA? We need your financial

help and your ideas call he OCA office and

join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if

you have specific questions call me any

Time 541-231-4528 Cell

>

>

>

> From: mailto:%40

[mailto:mailto:%40]

On Behalf Of ph Medlin

> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07

AM

> mailto:%40

> Subject: IME

increase

>

>

>

>

>

> The increase as of late in IME’s

has been enormous in our office. We have

more patients going to IME’s than not at

this point. I used to NEVER have an IME

requested of my patients. There is

something in the water. Anyone else

>

>

>

> I mean cases that are 8 visits in

with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and

>

>

>

> ph Medlin D.C.

>

Guest guest

Had one this last week that falls into that category: w/c injury with a lot of drama in the beginning due to the fact that the patient grabbed an ice back as soon as the muscle spasmed and, in spite of the employer's STRONG insistence that she go to occ med, she came here. We got notice of an IME less than 5 days later that was ascheduled less than 2 weeks into care. Haven't yet seen his report (requiring her to travel to Portland) but he never did get our notes ..... it will be fascinating to see what he says. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com bradrethwilldc@...CC: From: rongrice@...Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:41:35 -0700Subject: Re: Re: IME increase

Brad, I believe if this doctor made any conclusion on incomplete

data, ie he didn't have your notes, then he has committed a form of

insurance fraud. I am not an attorney, but I would send him to the

Insurance Commissioner, or his board for review. If he doesn't

review all data, his report is misleading, at the very least and is

probably a fundamentally flawed IME report.

Ron Grice, DC

Albany, OR

On 3/16/2012 11:09 AM, bradrethwilldc wrote:

Yes I have seen in my practice an increase in IME's. I

rarely had any for years now over the last 6-8 months I

have had three. Two from one company. Specifically I will

not name the company but on one case they called for a

paper review because they questioned my apportionment. The

MD did a paper review and admitted he did not have my

notes from ths Ins. company but with every other doc's

notes decided her condition was not the MVC's fault. I

appealed and they did not change their opinion. The other

case I treated was at the end of treatment, approx. 2

weeks away form being stationary. Attornyes have them

both. Some MD reviewer is going to cost the insurance

company way more than all the doc's fees on the first one.

Brad Rethwill DC

Eugene

> >

> > Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic

IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over

side of the fence.†We do not wish to end up like

Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a

referral from a medical professional including a

physician’s assistant and limits of care to

$2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight

colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your

today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific

questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell

> >

> >

> >

> > From:

On Behalf Of ph Medlin

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > The increase as of late in IME’s has been

IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an

IME requested of my patients. There is something in the

water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of

late?

> >

> >

> >

> > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain

IMEd.......uuughhh.

> >

> >

> >

> > ph Medlin D.C.

> >

>

Guest guest

I just want to point out that I did not make the statement that offended Drs. Kierstyn and Medlin. Nonetheless, I think the problem is not limited to a few offices, even if the doctor’s intent is honorable. J. Burke, D.C. From: Sunny Kierstyn <skrndc1@...> joe medlin <spinetree@...>; mjqpdc@...; DC <johncc48@...> Cc: < > Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 10:13 AM Subject: RE: IME increase

Thank you Joe ..... very well stated. I too was somewhat offended by that statement. Dr. Burke appears to be painting with as broad a brush as he claims is being used against him. Judgement about cases from these docs, when hired by an interested party, will always be suspect. There is an idea of a system for choosing IMEs that pulls randomly from a state list that seems FAR fairer for both patient and doc ..... it appears that it will take legislation to achieve ..... which means time is involved. In the meantime, we appear to be stuck with this unfair and unjust mechanism. It seems that all and each are performing to their best ..... it is just that the lines of judgement are clouded with money interests. And the patient is thwarted. We need a system that chooses a doc to perform an IME from a random list, not driven by the money

sources. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com mjqpdc@...; johncc48@...CC: From: spinetree@...Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:53:42 -0700Subject: Re: IME increase

This may be just a coincidence and the number of IMEâ€s may drop in a few months. Who knows. The amount of PIP I see has also steadily increased, but I’ve got some colleagues who have responded off list who are also experiencing an uptick in these exams DESPITE performing the best “doctoring†there is out there. I also notice that most of the folks responding saying they haven’t noticed an increase in IME’s are outside of PDX. Not sure if that makes a difference.

ph Medlin D.C.

mjqpdc

Cc:

I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed, namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the exception of that ever-present "few" or, more recently "several" docs or "IME mills" who no one ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous terms. Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there docs who have not experienced an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're experience an increase, have you looked at stats for previous years and compared them to the present to see if your perception is correct?I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too easy to read someone's post, maybe see a couple of concurring posts, and assume that the problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only a few IMEs per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from my own experience. However, my experience tells me that there are many reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not benefiting from my care. I might want a second opinion. Here are some reasons IMEs are requested:Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have had a previous problem and, whether or not it has anything to do with the current one, the insurer may have a question about it. Compensability is more of a concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the patient has degenerative disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work (in Oregon this is called major versus material contributing cause). Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this patient, we try to build a case for treating the patient with "positive" findings. But there is no critical mass of positive findings beyond which treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be consistency between the history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of findings leads to a diagnosis. Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about temporary disability - was it necessary for the patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so, for how long? Other times the question concerns permanent disability and impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be limited or unable to perform normal activities for the remainder of his or her life? Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than one condition? If so, to what extent does each condition contribute to the need for treatment? I think most chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine apportionment. I know I didn't learn it there. I see records - and have seen this method recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury when the patient sustains a second injury, saying they will go back to treating the first injury when the second one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the healing process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to apportion the percentage of treatment between the two injuries. Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the ER shortly after an accident complaining of neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and low back pain, the carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not symptomatic, usually because "subluxations," segmental dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are found on exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as well. If you diagnose a moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your treatment is injuring the patient further. After all, you are saying they have a serious ligament injury (think of a "moderate to severe sprain" of the knee or ankle). In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate, legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain that she didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun intended). I really would like to know from other readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in your own practices. J. Burke, D.C. >> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.� We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell > > > > From: mailto:%40 [mailto:mailto:%40] On Behalf Of ph Medlin> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM> mailto:%40> Subject: IME increase> > > > > > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?> > > > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.> > > > ph Medlin D.C.>

Guest guest

(from moderator)

(and all):

I object to the language you use in first line of your post. Let's make sure we

keep this discussion professional. You can be emotional about and issue and

still be professional as well.

Thanks.

> >

> > Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and

file reviews and other forms of abuse on the  " over side of the

fence.†We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to

having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a

physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS:

Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your

today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any

Time 541-231-4528 Cell

> >

> >

> >

> > From: mailto:%40

[mailto:mailto:%40] On Behalf Of ph Medlin

> > mailto:%40

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office.

We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to

NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water.

Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?

> >

> >

> >

> > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and

> >

> >

> >

> > ph Medlin D.C.

> >

>

Guest guest

2 recent experiences.

Background: I don't hardly ever get IMEd, perhaps once or twice per year, so it

is difficult to say if there is a change.

But in last 2 months , we had a DC paper review by a DC in Louisiana? on a very

straightforward PIP USAA case. It was an absolutely horrendous piece of work, in

my opinion complete with retroactive 'divinations', etc. I have never found out

what triggered it, but my suspicion is that perhaps Massage Envy was running

their STM bills up the flagpole. (patient was referred out for some STM)

I do not like that Massage Envy company but the patient was herself a

knowledgeable LMT who had prior worked with this LMT so I referred her out for

very reasonable course of STM care.

Second case was/is very interesting...it was an absolute charade and hatchet job

(in my professional opinion) by a retired orthopedic surgeon in Salem, also

complete with retroactive " backward in time " divination, etc BTW, patient is

Mexican and does not speak English and INsurer would not pay for translator for

the IME...so, I made some calls and convinced one of my patients (who is a

medical translator) to go down there by assuring her that the case was

rock-solid and she would get paid, heh heh, she has not been paid yet either.

Hilariously, IME doc pronounced her with no problems , no injuries, full range

or motion, full strength, etc (she had not been able to abduct her arm above 90

degrees for many weeks). His report also directly contradicted a local

orthopedist, Tom Croy, to whom she was previusly referred to by me (apparently

the IME doc did not read the orthopod's report).

In the end, I told her she had to get an MRI, (we were about to send her for

one, when she got cut off) she went around to her neighbors and family and

scraped up $500 cash!! She brought it in an envelop to my office to show me with

a list of the folks she borrowed it from. Makes my eyes tear up, thinking about

the shenanigans this lady had to put up with. Great lady, single mom, her 3 kids

are outstanding students at Elementary school and my teach-patients know

and heavily respect this lady as a model parent. I sent her down to Lebanon to

get her $500. cash shoulder MRI and guess what?..MRI shows substantial objective

findings of trauma. Those finding are unfortunate in that she will likely need

surgery, but at least she will get the care she is legally obliged to get.

I understand the need for IMEs of course, but there ARE hacks and there are

hatchet jobs being done everyday in this state by people who either are evil, or

have no souls.

That is my humble and (to the best of my ability ) professional opinion.

>

> The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have

>

> I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re

>

> ph Medlin D.C.

>

Guest guest

Hey Joe,The battle between insurance companies, treating docs, and IMEs is more generic than personal. Each has their special interests. Treating docs try to do their best as they understand patient needs; insurers try to maximize company profits, without which their annual stock indexes fall to increase; IME docs try to bring best practices to field docs and patients, for the most part. Trial lawyers make insurance companies stand up to their contractual responsibilities to the customer/patient. Academics set the groundwork for best practice guidelines. Insurance commissioners create a facade of patient advocacy against out-of-bounds behaviors. Lobbyists for docs and insurers try to keep their supporting organization's best interests at the bargaining table by any means necessary.As it's been for generations in America, it's what anyone can get away with that manifests in reality, with checks-and-balances to slow down rampant injustice. The real battle is to change the dominant business-as-usual paradigm from dog-eat-dog to treating others as we would be treated. To date so far, going back to the earliest Prophets, humanity has failed to live up to this sustainable principle. In the meantime, the dogs do whatever they will. What do we do? We must play our hand and do the best for the patient that we can, relying on those others (lobbyists, fellow docs, IMEers, academics, researchers, and so on) as we must to keep things in balance. As long as private insurers are profit-driven such problems will continue to disrespect patients and all concerned. It's business; it's not personal. Remember? Sears, DC, IAYT1218 NW 21st AvePortland, Oregon 97209v: 503-225-0255f: 503-525-6902www.docbones.com On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:53 AM, ph Medlin wrote: Do all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients! **WHAT? I disagree adamantly. I’m not sure about your practice, but I’m a chiro and patients get adjusted on every visit here and the charge is the same and since I’m worth it, I feel charging to the full extent of what’s allowable is fair. Do things change as the patient progresses regarding exercise/rehab? Yep, but they still get an adjustment and some tissue work to loosen things up on every visit. It’s part of the therapeutic recovery. I also do ALL the work, except if they see our LMT. I do NOT run a mill and actually take offense at the insinuation. This may be just a coincidence and the number of IMEâ€s may drop in a few months. Who knows. The amount of PIP I see has also steadily increased, but I’ve got some colleagues who have responded off list who are also experiencing an uptick in these exams DESPITE performing the best “doctoring†there is out there. I also notice that most of the folks responding saying they haven’t noticed an increase in IME’s are outside of PDX. Not sure if that makes a difference. Folks, I think we’re giving adjusters wayy too much credit. Again, if you think that you are safe because you take measures that you perceive to be preventative in the ordering of these exams, I’m here to tell you you are not. We have not noticed ANY logical correlation to the exam or connection between patients. 5 visits in ordered, ordered at the end of treatment when patient has shown nothing but improvement and 0 VAS discharge etc. etc... Even NOT being ordered on patients where you may think it would be.......SO convincing ourselves this is only happening to bad doctors or PIP mills is misguided and wrong. Despite our stellar communication, narrative written reports upon every exam followed by call to adjuster, clear treatment plan, and our best estimation when MMI will be achieved, we are experiencing an interruption in our GOOD DOCTORING. Despite having an excellent record of getting people out of pain without exhausting PIP or signing them up for 30 visit tx plans, we are experiencing an interruption in our GOOD DOCTORING. Assuming it’s the other way around would be a blatant mistake and a slap in the face to many good Doctors of Chiropractic. ph Medlin D.C. From: Colwell Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:42 PM mjqpdc Cc: Subject: Re: IME increase Very good concise response . Thanks.I have not had an increase in IMEs within the last 2 or 3 years. I have had a couple that I disagreed with but in those cases there were grounds for professional disagreement.I do feel that the treating physician knows much more about the myriad clinical aspects of their patient's condition than any IME. So, because many IME opinions are so definite and result in such a dramatic effect on a patient's well being, it seems unfair that one opinion from only 1 day in a patient's life carries so much weight.Not withstanding this, if the treating doc does not document the complications, altered treatment approaches, refine the dx codes and appear to be managing their patient's care thoughtfully, it is a given that someone will get wind of this and start doing IMEs. Do all the treatment codes stay the same visit by visit, are all the charges the same and at the top of the allowable limits for every visit? This IS a "mill" even if it for just 2 or 3 MVA patients! Does every PI patient PIP out with only chiropractic care or is there consultation and referral patterns that show clinical decision making? Does everyone get massage or fascial release every visit? Does their family primary care provider get a note and a request for past medicals?I was in court last week on a PIP trial and the defense asked if I knew about this patients past LBP history.......I did not, despite the fact that it was her MD that referred her to me for the MVA injuries after 4 mo of PT hadn't helped! I hadn't asked either. It won't make much difference because the primary injuries were cervical and thoracic. Nevertheless I had a wake up call again!In short we will always have problems, but the more real doctoring we do the less there is to question.On 3/15/2012 7:23 PM, mjqpdc wrote: I'm not disputing Dr. Medlin's perception that the number of IMEs is increasing, only that there seems to be a one-sided view that continues to be expressed, namely that all chiropractors are good and IMEs are bad (with the exception of that ever-present "few" or, more recently "several" docs or "IME mills" who no one ever names). I doubt the reality can be presented in such dichotomous terms. Are any other docs on this listserv besides Dr. M experiencing this? Are there docs who have not experienced an increase? Are there docs on the listserv whose patients rarely if ever get sent for IMEs? If you believe you're experience an increase, have you looked at stats for previous years and compared them to the present to see if your perception is correct?I'm asking these questions in good faith. I think it's too easy to read someone's post, maybe see a couple of concurring posts, and assume that the problem is widespread. I really don't know, so I'm asking. I do only a few IMEs per month, and the number of IMEs I perform is much fewer than in the past, by my own choice, so I cannot judge these statements from my own experience. However, my experience tells me that there are many reasons IMEs are requested. It's not always the number of visits. If I saw a patient 8 times and the pain was still at 5-6, I would be concerned that the patient was not benefiting from my care. I might want a second opinion. Here are some reasons IMEs are requested:Causation and compensability. Sometimes the cause of the patient's injuries is in dispute. They may have had a previous problem and, whether or not it has anything to do with the current one, the insurer may have a question about it. Compensability is more of a concern in workers' compensation cases, as when the patient has degenerative disc disease and then exacerbates the problem at work (in Oregon this is called major versus material contributing cause). Medical necessity of treatment. Do the doctor's chart notes document medical necessity? Sometimes doctors put the cart before the horse, that is, rather than determining IF the patient would benefit from care and, if so, WHAT KIND of treatment is best for this patient, we try to build a case for treating the patient with "positive" findings. But there is no critical mass of positive findings beyond which treatment is necessarily justified. There has to be consistency between the history, mechanism of injury, exam findings, and the diagnosis. Usually a clinically meaningful cluster of findings leads to a diagnosis. Disability and impairment. Often there is a question about temporary disability - was it necessary for the patient to miss work because of the injuries? If so, for how long? Other times the question concerns permanent disability and impairment - to what degree, if any, will the patient be limited or unable to perform normal activities for the remainder of his or her life? Apportionment. Is the patient being treated for more than one condition? If so, to what extent does each condition contribute to the need for treatment? I think most chiropractors were never taught in school how to determine apportionment. I know I didn't learn it there. I see records - and have seen this method recommended on this listserv - where the doc stops treatment for one injury when the patient sustains a second injury, saying they will go back to treating the first injury when the second one resolves. In terms of tissue damage and the healing process, this makes no sense, but it's easier than trying to apportion the percentage of treatment between the two injuries. Location and nature of injury. If your patient goes to the ER shortly after an accident complaining of neck pain and later comes to you with neck pain and low back pain, the carrier might question whether the LBP resulted from the compensable injury. Also, I've seen many cases where the treating doctor gives a diagnosis for an area which wasn't injured and is not symptomatic, usually because "subluxations," segmental dysfunction, and increased muscle tone are found on exam. The nature of the injury can be questionable as well. If you diagnose a moderate to severe cervical sprain/strain, for instance, and then proceed to adjust the patient's neck, it might appear that your treatment is injuring the patient further. After all, you are saying they have a serious ligament injury (think of a "moderate to severe sprain" of the knee or ankle). In my opinion, all of these reasons boil down to two major ones: DOCUMENTATION and COMMUNICATION. Most of these problems can be prevented by keeping accurate, legible, and complete chart records. I once heard a doctor complain that she didn't get paid enough to write good chart notes. I would say that if you don't keep good chart notes, you won't get paid.So I'll step down off my soap box for now (sorry, no pun intended). I really would like to know from other readers how much of an IME problem you perceive in your own practices. J. Burke, D.C. >> Storm clouds, the Oregon Chiropractic Association is being proactive and pre-emptive as per troubled areas in PIP including excessive IMEs, biased IMEs, file reviews and other forms of abuse on the “over side of the fence.†We do not wish to end up like Florida wherein you are reduced to having to receive a referral from a medical professional including a physician’s assistant and limits of care to $2,500….Vern Saboe PS: Have you joined the fight colleagues? Have you joined the OCA? We need your financial help and your ideas call he OCA office and join today…503-256-1601, Vern Saboe if you have specific questions call me any Time 541-231-4528 Cell > > > > From: mailto:%40 [mailto:mailto:%40] On Behalf Of ph Medlin> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:07 AM> mailto:%40> Subject: IME increase> > > > > > The increase as of late in IME’s has been enormous in our office. We have more patients going to IME’s than not at this point. I used to NEVER have an IME requested of my patients. There is something in the water. Anyone else noticing this to a high degree as of late?> > > > I mean cases that are 8 visits in with pain levels of 5-6 of 10 and they’re getting IMEd.......uuughhh.> > > > ph Medlin D.C.>

Guest guest

Thanks ,

Well said. It’s indeed good to remember that and to keep our eye on where our talents and primary concerns lie: Helping patients with the problems in which they present.

ph Medlin D.C.

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 2:46 PM

ph Medlin

Cc: mjqpdc ; Colwell ;

Hey Joe,

The battle between insurance companies, treating docs, and IMEs is more generic than personal. Each has their special interests. Treating docs try to do their best as they understand patient needs; insurers try to maximize company profits, without which their annual stock indexes fall to increase; IME docs try to bring best practices to field docs and patients, for the most part. Trial lawyers make insurance companies stand up to their contractual responsibilities to the customer/patient. Academics set the groundwork for best practice guidelines. Insurance commissioners create a facade of patient advocacy against out-of-bounds behaviors. Lobbyists for docs and insurers try to keep their supporting organization's best interests at the bargaining table by any means necessary.

As it's been for generations in America, it's what anyone can get away with that manifests in reality, with checks-and-balances to slow down rampant injustice. The real battle is to change the dominant business-as-usual paradigm from dog-eat-dog to treating others as we would be treated. To date so far, going back to the earliest Prophets, humanity has failed to live up to this sustainable principle. In the meantime, the dogs do whatever they will. What do we do? We must play our hand and do the best for the patient that we can, relying on those others (lobbyists, fellow docs, IMEers, academics, researchers, and so on) as we must to keep things in balance.

As long as private insurers are profit-driven such problems will continue to disrespect patients and all concerned. It's business; it's not personal. Remember?

Sears, DC, IAYT

1218 NW 21st Ave

Portland, Oregon 97209

v: 503-225-0255

f: 503-525-6902

www.docbones.com

On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:53 AM, ph Medlin wrote:

ph Medlin D.C.

mjqpdc

Cc: