RemedySpot.com

RE: Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If you can set that delivery meeting on a Thursday, I'd LUV to be there. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com From: vsaboe@...To: drdan@...; rongrice@...; skrndc1@...; mochihchu@...; drbobdc83@...; caughlindrc@...; boothbyj@...; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...CC: Oregondcs ; JBrimhall@...; JPfeifer@...; gschultz@...; vsaboe@...Subject: "Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes"Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:11:55 -0800

Dear colleagues,

Good news our "House Joint Memorial 201" was passed on the Senate floor today without a single no vote all yes votes! I memorial instructs the Portland VA Medical Director to perform what Congress instructed the VA to do 10 years ago by law, provide full chiropractic benefits to all Oregon veterans.

We will hand deliver this memorial which represents the wishes of 90 elected officials representing 3.8 million Oregonians and thousands of Oregon veterans to the Portland VA Medical Director. We have committements from our two Senators to be at this high level meeting or on the phone and they have committed their in-district staff to being at this meeting. Congressman Kurt Schrader and Earl Blumenhauer the same, representative from the Governor's office, Chairs and members of the State House and Senate Military and Veterans Affairs Committees, veterans group representatives, officials from the University of Western States and OCA Board members.

Funny thing while in Washington DC at the UWS dinner with students and faculty retired faculty member Dr. Lester Lamm and I spoke about his contacting Portland VA Medical Center officials about providing a full time faculty member at no charge to the VA and having 4th year interns from the university rotate and serve in the teaching hospital to the benefit of the veterans and their continued learning in the hospital setting. Lester told me the VA namely Dr. Jack Dryden were upset that officials at the school wrote a letter to Senator Ron Wyden and their response was that they don't answer to Congress! Well if writing one letter upset the VA officials they haven't seen anything yet and as you all know I don't go quietly into that good night I/we will keep the pressure on after this high level meeting...I will be their "fly in the ointment" "bug in the rug" and their "squeaky wheel"....we will not just go away our veterans deserve the best and we are it.....Vern PS: During the ACA Insurance Commission meeting in Washington, DC the next morning I mentioned this and the head of the ACA's governmental affairs dept said, "Well Vern I assure you Senator Wyden will be most interested to know that Portland VA officials believe they don't have to answer to Congress!" You can bet your bottom dollar that is the message I will deliver directly to Sen. Wyden.....

On a Friday I would be there if neededDr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave Day, Or. 97845 office 541-575-1063 fax 541-575-5554vsaboe@...; drdan@...; rongrice@...; mochihchu@...; drbobdc83@...; caughlindrc@...; boothbyj@...; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...CC: ; jbrimhall@...; jpfeifer@...; gschultz@...From: skrndc1@...Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 07:55:26 -0800Subject: RE: "Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes"

If you can set that delivery meeting on a Thursday, I'd LUV to be there. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com From: vsaboe@...To: drdan@...; rongrice@...; skrndc1@...; mochihchu@...; drbobdc83@...; caughlindrc@...; boothbyj@...; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...CC: Oregondcs ; JBrimhall@...; JPfeifer@...; gschultz@...; vsaboe@...Subject: "Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes"Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:11:55 -0800

Dear colleagues,

Good news our "House Joint Memorial 201" was passed on the Senate floor today without a single no vote all yes votes! I memorial instructs the Portland VA Medical Director to perform what Congress instructed the VA to do 10 years ago by law, provide full chiropractic benefits to all Oregon veterans.

We will hand deliver this memorial which represents the wishes of 90 elected officials representing 3.8 million Oregonians and thousands of Oregon veterans to the Portland VA Medical Director. We have committements from our two Senators to be at this high level meeting or on the phone and they have committed their in-district staff to being at this meeting. Congressman Kurt Schrader and Earl Blumenhauer the same, representative from the Governor's office, Chairs and members of the State House and Senate Military and Veterans Affairs Committees, veterans group representatives, officials from the University of Western States and OCA Board members.

Funny thing while in Washington DC at the UWS dinner with students and faculty retired faculty member Dr. Lester Lamm and I spoke about his contacting Portland VA Medical Center officials about providing a full time faculty member at no charge to the VA and having 4th year interns from the university rotate and serve in the teaching hospital to the benefit of the veterans and their continued learning in the hospital setting. Lester told me the VA namely Dr. Jack Dryden were upset that officials at the school wrote a letter to Senator Ron Wyden and their response was that they don't answer to Congress! Well if writing one letter upset the VA officials they haven't seen anything yet and as you all know I don't go quietly into that good night I/we will keep the pressure on after this high level meeting...I will be their "fly in the ointment" "bug in the rug" and their "squeaky wheel"....we will not just go away our veterans deserve the best and we are it.....Vern PS: During the ACA Insurance Commission meeting in Washington, DC the next morning I mentioned this and the head of the ACA's governmental affairs dept said, "Well Vern I assure you Senator Wyden will be most interested to know that Portland VA officials believe they don't have to answer to Congress!" You can bet your bottom dollar that is the message I will deliver directly to Sen. Wyden.....

Very well done,,Dan B

From: Charlie Caughlin [mailto:caughlindrc@...] Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:22 AMsunny kiersten; Dr Vern Saboe DC; Dr Dan Beeson; Ron Grice; Dr Matt Freedman; Dr s; Dr Judith Boothby; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...Cc: ; jbrimhall@...; jpfeifer@...; gschultz@...Subject: RE: RE: "Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes"

On a Friday I would be there if needed

Dr. A Caughlin DC CAC155 NW 1st Ave Day, Or. 97845 office 541-575-1063 fax 541-575-5554

vsaboe@...; drdan@...; rongrice@...; mochihchu@...; drbobdc83@...; caughlindrc@...; boothbyj@...; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...CC: ; jbrimhall@...; jpfeifer@...; gschultz@...From: skrndc1@...Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 07:55:26 -0800Subject: RE: "Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes"

If you can set that delivery meeting on a Thursday, I'd LUV to be there. Sunny

Sunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com

From: vsaboe@...To: drdan@...; rongrice@...; skrndc1@...; mochihchu@...; drbobdc83@...; caughlindrc@...; boothbyj@...; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...CC: Oregondcs ; JBrimhall@...; JPfeifer@...; gschultz@...; vsaboe@...Subject: "Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes"Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:11:55 -0800

Dear colleagues,

…and I’d love to have you there. The schedule will be centered around our Congressional Delegation primarily Senator Merkely and Congressman Schrader who I know well and who will go to bat for us and have the most impact with the VA. Wyden is key as well as he will not like the notion that the Portland VA officials don’t believe they answer to Congress….that will be worth some political sparks in the Senator’s office……Vern From: Sunny Kierstyn [mailto:skrndc1@...] Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:55 AMVern Saboe; Dan Beeson; rongrice01; Matt Freedman DC; s, D.C.; caughlindrc@...; Judith Boothby; doclars@...; corll@...; Seitz; Brad Rethwill DCCc: ; Brimhall, DC; jpfeifer@...; gschultz@...Subject: RE: " Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes " If you can set that delivery meeting on a Thursday, I'd LUV to be there. SunnySunny Kierstyn, RN DC Fibromyalgia Care Center of Oregon 2677 Willakenzie Road, 7CEugene, Oregon, 97401541- 654-0850; Fx; 541- 654-0834www.drsunnykierstyn.com From: vsaboe@...To: drdan@...; rongrice@...; skrndc1@...; mochihchu@...; drbobdc83@...; caughlindrc@...; boothbyj@...; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...CC: Oregondcs ; JBrimhall@...; JPfeifer@...; gschultz@...; vsaboe@...Subject: " Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes " Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:11:55 -0800Dear colleagues, Good news our " House Joint Memorial 201 " was passed on the Senate floor today without a single no vote all yes votes! I memorial instructs the Portland VA Medical Director to perform what Congress instructed the VA to do 10 years ago by law, provide full chiropractic benefits to all Oregon veterans. We will hand deliver this memorial which represents the wishes of 90 elected officials representing 3.8 million Oregonians and thousands of Oregon veterans to the Portland VA Medical Director. We have committements from our two Senators to be at this high level meeting or on the phone and they have committed their in-district staff to being at this meeting. Congressman Kurt Schrader and Earl Blumenhauer the same, representative from the Governor's office, Chairs and members of the State House and Senate Military and Veterans Affairs Committees, veterans group representatives, officials from the University of Western States and OCA Board members. Funny thing while in Washington DC at the UWS dinner with students and faculty retired faculty member Dr. Lester Lamm and I spoke about his contacting Portland VA Medical Center officials about providing a full time faculty member at no charge to the VA and having 4th year interns from the university rotate and serve in the teaching hospital to the benefit of the veterans and their continued learning in the hospital setting. Lester told me the VA namely Dr. Jack Dryden were upset that officials at the school wrote a letter to Senator Ron Wyden and their response was that they don't answer to Congress! Well if writing one letter upset the VA officials they haven't seen anything yet and as you all know I don't go quietly into that good night I/we will keep the pressure on after this high level meeting...I will be their " fly in the ointment " " bug in the rug " and their " squeaky wheel " ....we will not just go away our veterans deserve the best and we are it.....Vern PS: During the ACA Insurance Commission meeting in Washington, DC the next morning I mentioned this and the head of the ACA's governmental affairs dept said, " Well Vern I assure you Senator Wyden will be most interested to know that Portland VA officials believe they don't have to answer to Congress! " You can bet your bottom dollar that is the message I will deliver directly to Sen. Wyden.....

Dr. Lamm, Thank you so very much for the clarification I do appreciate it as it is extremely important that our message is accurate so again thank you. Yes, we will be walking step for step with the UWS with Dr. Joe Pfeifer being my point of contact. You might find it of interest that shortly (the next day) after the UWS dinner meeting between you and I, I received a voice mail from Dr. Dryden from the Portland VA Medical Center who finally got back to me with the fundamental question relative to (I probably didn’t say it as accurately as you would have) having UWS faculty provide care and 4th year interns being able to perform rotations…the research piece I didn’t know nor mention but sounds great. BTW Dr. Dryden made no mention of you representing the University had approached him prior while Chief of Staff basically asking or offering the same or similar to the Portland VA Medical Center, it was in fact as though this had not been suggested before? It took Dr. Dryden roughly six weeks to come up with the answer he left on my cell phone and the answer, “well gosh Dr. Saboe I asked and gosh darn it the answer is just no” go figure. Again, Dr. Lamm as I said that night in our nation’s capitol if Dr. Dryden was upset the University attempted to address the rather obvious “stonewalling” at the expense of what is in the best interest of our veterans via a “political solution” he ain’t seen nothing yet! No letters this go around warm Congressional bodies in addition members of the Oregon State Legislature and the Governor’s office wish to be present for the meeting which will be with the VA Medical Center’s Director. My hope is to have representatives from several of the veterans groups present as well…and possibly members of the media if not at the face to face meeting later or as needed. I for one have had it and so have veterans we will not simply go away quietly but will simply escalate our activities until our veterans gain what they so rightly deserve the best possible services…us!Thank you again so much for this detailed clarification it helps a great deal…..Cheers,Vern Saboe, DC., FACOOregon Chiropractic Association From: Lester Lamm [mailto:LLamm@...] Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:14 PMvsaboe@...Cc: drdan@...; rongrice@...; skrndc1@...; mochihchu@...; drbobdc83@...; caughlindrc@...; boothbyj@...; doclars@...; corll@...; dcdocbrian@...; bradrethwilldc@...; Oregondcs ; ph Brimhall; ph Pfeifer; SchultzSubject: " Good News from the Capitol our House Joint Memorial Passes the Senate all Yes votes " Dear Dr. Saboe:Thank you for your efforts, commitment and dedication to improving the provision of care to Oregon veterans through the Portland VA Medical Center. On my behalf and that of fellow veterans, we thank you. It was a rewarding experience to join with you and the 400 plus students from all of the chiropractic colleges in Washington, DC to advance the chiropractic profession. At the University of Western States student dinner on Thursday evening, you and I had an opportunity to discuss your strategies in overcoming persistent resistance from the office of the Portland VA Medical Director. I took that opportunity to share with you my experiences with attempts to obtain a presence at the VA Center through the UWS. As you move forward to secure a presence at the VA Center it is imperative that the chiropractic profession represents itself accurately. To that end I would like to correct a couple of misstatements made by you in your news release. 1. Prior to my retirement from the UWS I was directly involved in attempts with the Portland VA Medical Center to establish a presence at that facility whereby: a) chiropractic care would be provided by licensed UWS staff; B) student-intern rotations would be available to eligible fourth year students from the UWS; and c) data gathering and clinical research would be conducted in conjunction with the provision of chiropractic care. However, full-time or part-time status was not discussed. 2. I did have direct discussions with Dr. Jack Dryden, who was the Medical Director at that time and now oversees the VA rehabilitation department. However, in your news release you referenced a letter written to Senator Wyden by the UWS; that is inaccurate. The letter emanated from the office of Senator Wyden and was sent to Dr. Dryden. Mr. Wyden had been asked in person by representatives from the UWS to write a letter in support of the university’s desire to obtain a chiropractic presence at the Portland VA Center. Senator Wyden signed the letter, obtained Senator Merkley’s signature and then circulated the letter to Oregon’s congressmen, obtaining signatures from all except one congressman. Dr. Dryden was not upset with the UWS for writing a letter; he was upset that we had sought a “political solution” for our agenda. Furthermore, at no time did Dr. Dryden state or otherwise suggest that the VA does not answer to Congress. It was I who pointed out to you that the VA does not answer to Congress; that the VA is administered by the Executive Branch of government and overseen by Secretary of Veterans Affairs, K. Shinseki. Subsequent to that statement by me, we both did agree that VA funding is appropriated by Congress. My primary concern for sharing this with you is to ensure that the ACA’s governmental affairs department, with whom you shared your misinterpretation of what was said by Dr. Dryden, does not misrepresent Dr. Dryden or attribute to him something he did not say. It is not in our collective interests to have Senator Wyden inappropriately misled or Dr. Dryden misquoted. In closing, I sincerely hope you choose to work closely with the university in promoting and representing chiropractic care for all veterans through the Oregon VA Center. Respectfully, Lester Lamm, D.C.