RemedySpot.com

RE: ACL Injury question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dr. Ross.

I have had MANY knee problems over the years, culminating in having

both knees replaced 6 years ago. My surgeon, actually his

assistant, made a comment that when you start to mess with the

Patellar tendon, you are messing with God. I would have to agree.

I know they use this tendon to replace the ACL, but it makes more

sense to me to stay away from it. With her activity level, the

hamstring would make more sense. At least to me.

It is also amazing that with the surgeries performed today, and ACL

tear isn't the end to careers like it was 10-15 years ago.

Ron Grice, DC

Albany, OR

On 2/22/2012 10:28 AM, Kat Ross wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a 16 year old competitive gymnast

who has a full ACL tear. She will be having surgery as

soon as she gets her full ROM back in her knee,

however is now trying to decide whether to take the

graft from the hamstring tendon or the patellar

tendon. The surgeon said he would do either one, but

that the hamstring was less pain but healed slower.

She would like to return to gymnastics as soon as

possible.

My question is what have you seen in patients

with this surgery re: quicker recovery times,

decreased pain and more successful repairs?

Thanks in advance,

Ross, DC

Bloom Natural Healthcare

125 NE Killingsworth St. #101

Portland, OR 97211

BloomNaturalHealthcare.com

This is more of a question if she want to return to gymnastics. I would lean to the hamstring graft. Landing and kneeling can be problematic post quad graft. Ted Forcum, DC, DACBSPBack In Motion Sports Injuries Clinic, LLCPortland Timbers Team ChiropractorPortland Winterhawks Team Chiropractor ACA Sports Council, Past President'08 US Olympic Sports Medicine Team Member11385 SW Scholls Ferry RoadBeaverton, Oregon 97008503.524.9040www.bimsportsinjuries.com The information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information confidential under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Back In Motion Sports Injuries Clinic, LLC at 11385 SW Scholls Ferry Road, Beaverton, OR-97008. and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Kat RossSent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:28 AMSubject: ACL Injury question Hi everyone, I have a 16 year old competitive gymnast who has a full ACL tear. She will be having surgery as soon as she gets her full ROM back in her knee, however is now trying to decide whether to take the graft from the hamstring tendon or the patellar tendon. The surgeon said he would do either one, but that the hamstring was less pain but healed slower. She would like to return to gymnastics as soon as possible. My question is what have you seen in patients with this surgery re: quicker recovery times, decreased pain and more successful repairs?Thanks in advance, Ross, DCBloom Natural Healthcare 125 NE Killingsworth St. #101Portland, OR 97211BloomNaturalHealthcare.com

I personally went through this and opted for the hamstring surgery. There is also a cadaver option which grosses people out but does help for return to activity quickly. I know that was really popular around 5-10 years ago.

I was up to normal activity level very quickly and the injury happened when I was 19. I still have a nice divit where my hamstring muscle used to be and other than losing my form for kickboxing on the side of injury, it went really well.

I would also personally recommend the passive motion machine which is a rental post surgery. It moves flexes and extends the knee through a ROM even while sleeping. The pain was too intense for me to sleep initially so I figured I might as well keep things moving and keep the inflammation down.

Just my two cents. Respectfully, Franchesca Vermillion, DCVermillion & Bloom, PCBalance & Fitness throughChiropractic Rehabilitation1750 Blankenship Rd Ste 295West Linn, OR 97068503-344-4378www.vermillionbloom.com

From: gymnasticschiro@...Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:28:08 -0800Subject: ACL Injury question

Hi everyone,

I have a 16 year old competitive gymnast who has a full ACL tear. She will be having surgery as soon as she gets her full ROM back in her knee, however is now trying to decide whether to take the graft from the hamstring tendon or the patellar tendon. The surgeon said he would do either one, but that the hamstring was less pain but healed slower. She would like to return to gymnastics as soon as possible.

My question is what have you seen in patients with this surgery re: quicker recovery times, decreased pain and more successful repairs?

Thanks in advance,

Ross, DCBloom Natural Healthcare

125 NE Killingsworth St. #101Portland, OR 97211BloomNaturalHealthcare.com