RemedySpot.com

OT sort of. good new year's health advice for us and our patients

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is well worth the watch.....I thought he did a good job. Something we already know but great presentation and reminder on January 1st! Happy New Year everyone! Enjoy it in good health.

Minga Guerrero DC

abowoman@...

Thanks for sharing MInga.  I need to take this to heart myself.  Great timing for sharing this.Have a great  New Year! Schneider DCPDXOn Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM, <AboWoman@...> wrote:

This is well worth the watch.....I thought he did a good job. Something we already know but great presentation and reminder on January 1st!  Happy New Year everyone!  Enjoy it in good health.

Minga Guerrero DC

abowoman@...

-- Schneider DC PDX

Thanks for the post, Minga; an effective teaching tool with great visuals. Please allow me to expand our thinking a bit in this regard, if I may.Science has revealed that walking is the most healthful form of human exercise, so far. I would suggest that balancing the body in gravity and propelling it forward (walking) engages a particularly unique human activity, but a very common one that nearly all humans perform daily. We understand walking, as we have done so much of it. The stress created by walking is nearly totally physiological. That is, our bodies are challenged by walking physiologically, but beyond proprioception, not very challenged mentally or emotionally. Specifically, the autonomic NS is not challenged, the endocrine and immune systems are not challenged much, nor the limbic system (near edge of cerebral cortex concerned with instinct, mood, basic emotions such as fear, pleasure, anger, and drives such as hunger, sex, dominance, care of offspring). Casual walking is too predictable to the mind and emotions to be much of a challenge to them. The field of stressful activity from walking does not include our mental and emotional potentials.The (arguably) 5,000 years of yoga and meditation history have engaged the mental and emotional elements of humanity as well as the physiological elements, and provides the serious student of human health with a broader framework of activity within which to practice. This is accomplished by using the voluntary NS to challenge the autonomic NS, which is heavily involved with all aspects of human characteristics, physical, emotional and mental. By including the emotional and mental aspects of humanity, yoga and meditation provide a more wholistic experience of healthful exercise for humans than walking alone, IMHO. Thank you for your considerations. Much more can be said in this regard.Thanks again for the post, Dr. Guerrero. Sears, DC, IAYT1218 NW 21st AvePortland, Oregon 97209v: 503-225-0255f: 503-525-6902www.docbones.comOn Jan 3, 2012, at 9:20 AM, AboWoman@... wrote: This is well worth the watch.....I thought he did a good job. Something we already know but great presentation and reminder on January 1st! Happy New Year everyone! Enjoy it in good health.

Minga Guerrero DC abowoman@...