RemedySpot.com

getting enough variation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone have any sample meals they have put together for patients at different stages? I do have a few, but there are many patients that complain about not being able to get in all their protein and have room for other kinds of foods,

especially vegetables. As we know some patients may only be able to eat no more than 4oz for life, while others can eat about 8-12oz at a time and still have great success. Just curious if anyone else runs into this problem and what kinds of things others

are using to help meet protein and nutrition from other foods?

Abby Herrick, RD, LD, cPT

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

Program Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

www.mynewselfbariatrics.com

True intelligence operates silently. Stillness is where

creativity and solutions to problems are found.

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks

I recommend that my patients continue to drink 1 or 2 high protein shakes/daily for ever after Lap Band surgery in order to keep enough protein on board to prevent muscle wasting during weight loss.Deane Peck MS,RD,LDNDeane@...www.portionsizematters.comSent from my iPhoneOn Jan 5, 2012, at 12:48 PM, "Herrick, Abby" <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

Does anyone have any sample meals they have put together for patients at different stages? I do have a few, but there are many patients that complain about not being able to get in all their protein and have room for other kinds of foods,

especially vegetables. As we know some patients may only be able to eat no more than 4oz for life, while others can eat about 8-12oz at a time and still have great success. Just curious if anyone else runs into this problem and what kinds of things others

are using to help meet protein and nutrition from other foods?

<image001.jpg>

Abby Herrick, RD, LD, cPT

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

Program Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

Yet another reason why dietitians are crucial parts of

healthcare teams!

I offer sample meal plans which are helpful to some, and at

least give people a place to start. 

Patient variation is very high with all of these surgeries, lap

band included and bypass particularly.  One person can eat adequate protein and

a nicely balanced diet with smaller portions, and the next person has great

difficulty tolerating any type of solid protein foods.  This is why dietitian

follow up after bariatric surgery is crucial.  Usually surgeons do not have the

time or interest in getting that detailed with patients about the nuts and

bolts of what they are eating, including macronutrient balance (not to mention

micronutrient).  Even the best surgeon, due to time constraints, can not

address properly the dietary variations that come.  Not to mention they are not

properly trained to address the dietary concerns.

The protein shakes are one solution, but encouraging “liquid

calories†for band patients can be problematic, so our program is very

reluctant to recommend them as a solution.  Adjusting the band to the perfect

spot should allow patients to eat a well balanced, adequate diet.  This entails

a surgeon with patience and good communication skills.  Not all are created

equal in those skills.  That is where we come in.

Working with the patient to know what they are able to eat, and

encouraging protein from food(s) is the best way to go, as the solid foods

provide more satiety than a protein shake.  Also, adding 200-300 calories from

a protein drink that is not needed may preclude or slow down weight loss in

patients, particularly our smaller, older women who don’t burn many calories

anyway. 

Randee Reidy, MA, RD

Methodist Hospital, Sacramento

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Deane

Peck

Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 7:54 PM

Subject: Re: getting enough variation

I recommend that my patients continue to drink 1 or 2 high

protein shakes/daily for ever after Lap Band surgery in order to keep enough

protein on board to prevent muscle wasting during weight loss.

Deane Peck MS,RD,LDN

Deane@...

www.portionsizematters.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2012, at 12:48 PM, " Herrick, Abby " <abby.herrick@...>

wrote:

Does

anyone have any sample meals they have put together for patients at different

stages? I do have a few, but there are many patients that complain about

not being able to get in all their protein and have room for other kinds of

foods, especially vegetables. As we know some patients may only be able

to eat no more than 4oz for life, while others can eat about 8-12oz at a time

and still have great success. Just curious if anyone else runs into this

problem and what kinds of things others are using to help meet protein and

nutrition from other foods?

<image001.jpg>

Abby

Herrick, RD, LD, cPT

MyNewSelf

Bariatrics

Program

Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator

(314)

966-9645

abby.herrick@...

Thanks Randee – I couldn’t agree more. It’s nice to hear this from another RD, especially those of us who work alone and don’t get that daily collaborationwith other RDs. Abby Herrick, RD, LD, cPTMyNewSelf BariatricsProgram Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator(314) 966-9645abby.herrick@...www.mynewselfbariatrics.com True intelligence operates silently. Stillness is wherecreativity and solutions to problems are found.Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Randee ReidySent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:30 PM Subject: RE: getting enough variation Yet another reason why dietitians are crucial parts of healthcare teams! I offer sample meal plans which are helpful to some, and at least give people a place to start. Patient variation is very high with all of these surgeries, lap band included and bypass particularly. One person can eat adequateprotein and a nicely balanced diet with smaller portions, and the next person has great difficulty tolerating any type of solid protein foods. This is why dietitian follow up after bariatric surgery is crucial. Usually surgeons do not have the time or interestin getting that detailed with patients about the nuts and bolts of what they are eating, including macronutrient balance (not to mention micronutrient). Even the best surgeon, due to time constraints, can not address properly the dietary variations that come. Not to mention they are not properly trained to address the dietary concerns. The protein shakes are one solution, but encouraging “liquid calories†for band patients can be problematic, so our program is veryreluctant to recommend them as a solution. Adjusting the band to the perfect spot should allow patients to eat a well balanced, adequate diet. This entails a surgeon with patience and good communication skills. Not all are created equal in those skills. That is where we come in. Working with the patient to know what they are able to eat, and encouraging protein from food(s) is the best way to go, as the solidfoods provide more satiety than a protein shake. Also, adding 200-300 calories from a protein drink that is not needed may preclude or slow down weight loss in patients, particularly our smaller, older women who don’t burn many calories anyway. Randee Reidy, MA, RDMethodist Hospital, Sacramento From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Deane PeckSent: Friday, January 06, 2012 7:54 PM Subject: Re: getting enough variation I recommend that my patients continue to drink 1 or 2 high protein shakes/daily for ever after Lap Band surgery in order to keep enough protein on board to prevent muscle wastingduring weight loss. Deane Peck MS,RD,LDNDeane@...www.portionsizematters.comSent from my iPhoneOn Jan 5, 2012, at 12:48 PM, " Herrick, Abby " <abby.herrick@...> wrote: Does anyone have any sample meals they have put together for patients at different stages? I do have a few, but there are many patients that complain about not being able to getin all their protein and have room for other kinds of foods, especially vegetables. As we know some patients may only be able to eat no more than 4oz for life, while others can eat about 8-12oz at a time and still have great success. Just curious if anyoneelse runs into this problem and what kinds of things others are using to help meet protein and nutrition from other foods? <image001.jpg>Abby Herrick, RD, LD, cPTMyNewSelf BariatricsProgram Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator(314) 966-9645abby.herrick@...www.mynewselfbariatrics.com True intelligence operates silently. Stillness is wherecreativity and solutions to problems are found.Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks