RemedySpot.com

support groups

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just curious if anyone could provide some insight as to how support groups are run at your programs. Do you split the groups up between bypass/sleeve and band or do you keep it all one group? Also, who facilitates these and how often do

you do them? The way that it is set up with my program is that they are twice a month (all procedures together) and the dietitian does all of them. I would like to split the groups up, but fear that patients will be very upset, however the procedures are

very different and many times there is much confusion. I would also like to see the nurses or doctors help out with these as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Abby

We host 2 support groups each month. For a year we tried hosting a third group for bands only (which they had requested) but attendance was very poor, so now we just have the 2 groups for every one. The groups are split between myself and our 2 nurses. We usually work it out so that the person who doesn't have support group that month presents at seminar instead.Abby, RD, LDColumbia, MOFrom: "Herrick, Abby"

<abby.herrick@...>" " < >Sent: Thu, January 12, 2012 9:47:35 AMSubject: support groups

Just curious if anyone could provide some insight as to how support groups are run at your programs. Do you split the groups up between bypass/sleeve and band or do you keep it all one group? Also, who facilitates these and how often do

you do them? The way that it is set up with my program is that they are twice a month (all procedures together) and the dietitian does all of them. I would like to split the groups up, but fear that patients will be very upset, however the procedures are

very different and many times there is much confusion. I would also like to see the nurses or doctors help out with these as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Abby

We have all surgeries attend the same support group. The dietitian runs the support group and the surgeon attends about half of them. It is held monthy. I try to leave about 15-20 minutes at the end of support group (unless it is a longer topic or guest speaker) and I divide the groups into bands and sleeve/bypasses so they have time to chat and ask each other questions. If the surgeon is present - he can facilitate one group and I will cover the other. It works out really well.

Cheryl Frushour, RD, LDN, CNSC

Meritus Health Bariatric Surgery Center

Hagerstown, MD

From: "Herrick, Abby" <abby.herrick@...>" " < > Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:47 AMSubject: support groups

Just curious if anyone could provide some insight as to how support groups are run at your programs. Do you split the groups up between bypass/sleeve and band or do you keep it all one group? Also, who facilitates these and how often do you do them? The way that it is set up with my program is that they are twice a month (all procedures together) and the dietitian does all of them. I would like to split the groups up, but fear that patients will be very upset, however the procedures are very different and many times there is much confusion. I would also like to see the nurses or doctors help out with these as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Abby

Abby,We offer 3 support group meetings per month.One is a combination of lap band and sleeve gastrectomy patients. (5:30-6:30 pm)One is only lap band patients. (11:30 am)And the last one is only sleeve gastrectomy patients. (11:30 am)The bariatric staff rotates through serving as moderator taking the entire month at a time. (RD, APRN, Bariatric Coordinator). And we invite our hospital chaplain to speak 3 times a year on "Adapting to Change".We also open each meeting to prospective patients.Good luck. , MS, RD, LDBariatric SolutionsMurray Calloway County HospitalMurray, KYFrom: Herrick, Abby <abby.herrick@...>Subject: support groups" " < >Date: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 10:47 AM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Abby

We currently have three support groups per month.  One is

particularly for band patients, the other two are for everyone.  We started the

band one at the request of band patients as they felt they had different

issues.  Also, it is hard for band patients to watch a bypass patient who had

surgery the same time as they did lose weight so much faster. 

Ours are run by our Nurse Manager and myself at all support

groups.  It does give us coverage if one of us can’t make them at times.  The

surgeons generally stop in for a bit at the beginning to check in and see if

patients have any particular questions for them. 

We have a large evening support group with topics, guests

speakers, etc.  A Saturday morning one is smaller, and more informal as far as

topics, although I always bring a discussion item or handout just to get the

ball rolling if I need to use it.  The band one is smaller and more informal as

well. 

We are a COE, and plan to do about 300 surgeries this year.

Randee Reidy, MA, RD

Methodist Hospital, Sacramento, CA

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Cheryl

Frushour

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:25 AM

Subject: Re: support groups

We have

all surgeries attend the same support group. The dietitian runs the support

group and the surgeon attends about half of them. It is held monthy. I try to

leave about 15-20 minutes at the end of support group (unless it is a longer

topic or guest speaker) and I divide the groups into bands and sleeve/bypasses

so they have time to chat and ask each other questions. If the surgeon is