latest calcium research

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Based on recent reports (Heart 2012; 98:920-925; British Medical Journal 2011;

342-d2040)is anyone rethinking our standard recommendation of 1200 mg calcium

citrate (and 800 IU Vitamin D)qd? Neither of these studies nor their

predecessors is conclusive and they do not specify the kind of calcium

supplement used. And none of the studies included subjects with WLS. Still, they

seem to be pointing in the same direction: there's a level of calcium

supplementation (not calcium from food) that may increase risk for MI. Bess

Dawson-, MD and director of the Bone Metabolism Laboratory at USDA

Nutrition Center at Tufts (and not part of these studies) reports, " Women should

definitely stop taking two big calcium supplements a day. It's not worth any

risk--real, imaginary, uncertain, possible or probably. "

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, colleagues.

Quinn, MA,LD,RD

Salem, Or

Guest guest

Hello : I questioned this same thing for a while but around the same time listened to a webinar on calcium by a physician calcium researcher/expert (I believe from OHSU but not sure -- sorry can’t remember the name) and he indicated that we probably should limit supplemental calcium but not in patients with malabsorption – he did not elaborate on that but some of the studies that showed increased risk were published at the time. In my opinion, for our band patients we may want to revisit this, but I am not sure we have reliable data as of yet! We have not changed our protocol as of yet. Would be curious to hear what others are thinking. Laschkewitsch | Manager Weight Management InstituteLegacy Health | 503.413.8135 From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of cacm1921Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:33 PM Subject: latest calcium research Based on recent reports (Heart 2012; 98:920-925; British Medical Journal 2011; 342-d2040)is anyone rethinking our standard recommendation of 1200 mg calcium citrate (and 800 IU Vitamin D)qd? Neither of these studies nor their predecessors is conclusive and they do not specify the kind of calcium supplement used. And none of the studies included subjects with WLS. Still, they seem to be pointing in the same direction: there's a level of calcium supplementation (not calcium from food) that may increase risk for MI. Bess Dawson-, MD and director of the Bone Metabolism Laboratory at USDA Nutrition Center at Tufts (and not part of these studies) reports, " Women should definitely stop taking two big calcium supplements a day. It's not worth any risk--real, imaginary, uncertain, possible or probably. " I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, colleagues. Quinn, MA,LD,RDSalem, Or