Thank you. This is great information.

How much do you charge?

Marta RD, LD

Kettering-Sycamore Weight Loss Surgery

1956 E. Whipp Road

Kettering, Ohio 45440

(937) 384-3889

marta.wright@...

" Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time. "

-Mark Twain

On Behalf Of Knight, E.

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 9:39 AM

Subject: Re: grocery store tour [2 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from Knight, E. included below]

We do this yearly and the patients love it. Each year we switch the store; so far we have toured Wal-Mart, Kroger, Aldi and even a natural food store. While getting started always

feels awkward, once you get going it usually goes well. What I found works best is to break your store down into sections and plan 1 show & tell or game per section. In the produce section, I might choose a few people to pick out something they've never eaten.

Then I'll discuss an easy way to cook it. In the frozen foods I will pick out the best/worst frozen meals to show and discuss. When you are done with one section, you can let the group know you'll meet them in the next, that way they can meander/look at labels/come

up with questions etc... on their own time.

Some tips:

*Expect it to take a lot longer you think...people will have a lot of questions. There have been times I only got through 2-3 of my planned show & tells.

I've had to end the tour 1/2 way through due to time more than once, especially at the big stores.

*Expect random followers. We always have others get interested and follow us around, and usually they are the ones with the most questions!

*Do a tour yourself beforehand and get acquainted with new products.

*Be prepared for pts to excitedly try to sell their favorite product to the group, even if it isn't a good choice. Rehearse a way to gently handle this.

*It is best to have 1 RD for about every 5 people if possible. You don't want to be yelling above the crowd. If your group is large, consider breaking them into smaller groups and

giving your presentation over and over again while the other groups mill about.

*The less you talk, the better. People really just want you there to answer their questions. So plan to talk for just a minute and then wait for questions.

*Consider using a phone app like " fooducate " to keep the spouses/kids, etc... interested. Plus, it's just fun.

Those are all the tips I can think of right now, maybe others can add to the list. :)

Good luck!

P.S. I attached a guide I've used and a pantry list for some examples.

Knight, RD

Bariatric Dietitian

Columbus Regional Hospital Bariatric Treatment Center

812-418-3512