RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: grocery store tour [1 Attachment]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thank you so much! Your ideas are great and I’m sure be very helpful. Have a wonderful weekend!!

On Behalf Of Knight, E.

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 10:01 AM

Subject: Re: grocery store tour [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Knight, E. included below]

We do this yearly and the patients love it. Each year we switch the store and so far we have toured Wal-mart, Kroger, Aldi

and even a natural foods store. While getting started always feels awkward, once you get going it usually goes well. What I’ve found works best is to break your store down into sections and plan one show & tell or game per section. For example, in the produce

section I might ask a few people to pick out something they’ve never eaten and then discuss what it is and an easy way to cook it. In the frozen section I might pick out the best and worst frozen dinners and discuss. When you are done with your presentation,

let the group mill about the section and individually ask you questions for a few minutes. Then let them know you’ll meet them in the next section. This gives them plenty of time to look around and form questions. Here are some tips, maybe others can add to

this list!

*Expect it to take longer than you think. Many times I have had to end a tour ½ way through due to time.

*Expect random followers. These people usually will have the most questions! It helps to bring some business cards.

*It is best to have 1 RD for about every 5 people. You don’t want to be yelling over a large group. If the group is

big, consider breaking it into smaller groups and giving your presentation to each group while the others mill about.

*Your presentations should be very short, as in 1-2 minutes or less. People mainly just want you there to answer their

questions. Give them plenty of time to look around.

*Consider using a phone app like “fooducate” to keep the spouses/kids/etc…interested. You can also start with a handout

on label reading for everyone to use as a guide.

*Be prepared for pts to excitedly talk about/sell their favorite products. Rehearse a way to handle it when the product

they love isn’t the healthiest.

I’ve attached a guide I created for the last tour in case it helps. Good luck!

Knight, RD

Bariatric Dietitian

Columbus Regional Hospital Bariatric Treatment Center

812-418-3512