RemedySpot.com

weight loss tips

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone have recommendations for ways to encourage further weight loss while

the patient is experiencing weight plateaus? I have a pt that lost 40 lbs very

quickly but has now struggled to loose even 1 lb / week. Pt is only 2 mo. post

op and has increased physical activity to walking 2-3 miles / day. Any

suggestions would be appreciated!

Having a free day eating whatever he wantsAnd chnaging the time of excersingOn Feb 16, 2012, at 4:41 PM, " Rouse" <kelly.rouse@...> wrote:

Does anyone have recommendations for ways to encourage further weight loss while the patient is experiencing weight plateaus? I have a pt that lost 40 lbs very quickly but has now struggled to loose even 1 lb / week. Pt is only 2 mo. post op and has increased physical activity to walking 2-3 miles / day. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

=

,Which surgery did the patient have? If the patient had banding 2 months ago, it is not uncommon to see a plateau around this time (it might be a little early because we normally see this between 3-6 months post-op, but every patient is different). Encourage the patient that they are doing fine provided they are not consuming a lot of soft calories from drinks and foods that won't stay in the pouch long, and that they are not eating and drinking at the same time. The average weight loss for banding patients after the initial drop is on average 1-2 pounds per week and should be the goal. Remember 60 minutes of physical activity/day is the recommended amount for weight loss and 90 minutes/day for maintenance. Try to educate patient on eating foods that are going to stay in the stomach pouch longer (avoiding snacks such as crackers, pretzels, etc because they slide through the pouch fairly quickly and provide many kcal without giving the full sensation). Pick foods from each food group and try to keep kcal intake around 1100/1200. Maintaining an intake around 800 kcal can slow the metabolism because it is a very low kcal diet. Also, for banding patients, I recommend that women get a least 60 grams/PRO/day and men 70 grams/PRO/day, but not to over do it because PRO still provides kcal and can inhibit weight loss. Make sure pt is getting enough fluids between meals as well. If you want to talk more in depth about this, you can email me at angela_teague@.... Teague, RD, LDNBayhealth Food & Nutrition ServicesBayhealth BariatricsMilford Memorial HospitalKent General Hospital(302) 430-5528 (office)(302) 735-2793 (pager)----- wrote: ----- From: " Rouse" Sent by: Date: 02/16/2012 07:41AMSubject: weight loss tips Does anyone have recommendations for ways to encourage further weight loss while the patient is experiencing weight plateaus? I have a pt that lost 40 lbs very quickly but has now struggled to loose even 1 lb / week. Pt is only 2 mo. post op and has increased physical activity to walking 2-3 miles / day. Any suggestions would be appreciated!